• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Opinions (BE CIVIL)

Aligo

Smash Ace
Would a single custom Fe lord be suitable a a sole rep? Most lords look rather very similar so it wouldn't need too much variety.

Laniv

Smash Champion
Toad and Dixie Kong (especially the former) deserve to be playable more than 95% of first party characters. By contrast, Tom Nook deserves it more than 60% of first parties.

Charizard on its own was boring in Smash 4.

Pichu should have stayed for Brawl and Smash 4.

One of Ultimate's roster's failings was not including a retro character.

Wobbuffet should be a fighter, as a not quite joke character where most of its moveset is themed around countering and reflecting.

Most other Mario enemies would have made more interesting characters than Piranha Plant, such as Hammer Bros., or Lakitu as a Bowser Jr. echo.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
I'm okay with Spirits replacing Trophies. I like the idea of Spirits serving an actual gameplay function (both as equipment and for offering different fight set-ups), and Smash is still able to reference the more obscure corners of Nintendo's vast history through them. Besides, I thought trophies really started to lose their appeal by Smash4. In Melee, they were pretty exciting because a lot of characters were making their 3D debut through them, plus I was learning so much about Nintendo's older games and Japan-only games. Nowadays, though, such information is pretty well-catalogued on fan wikis and several other sources (though I do nevertheless find it a shame that Spirits got rid of their text descriptions), and the trophies themselves were just ripping 3D models from their home games rather than original models being made.

• Melee-style Target Test would be way too much work for the amount of fighters we have now; I’d prefer a Brawl-style Target Test
Agreed. Brawl's Targets were okay, and pretty understandable given the growing roster. It's one thing to prefer Melee's Targets, but I don't get why a lot of people seem to hate them so much.

[QUOTE
  • Not allowing us to rematch bosses with the Spirit Rematch feature was a bit of a waste
[/QUOTE]
Agreed, but I don't think that's an unpopular opinion.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Replace Spirits with Trading Cards so you can still have a little bio of them, maybe some original art if you want to. Maybe a mini-game can also make a game of them.
Honestly...

That's really smart.

I dig it.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Replace Spirits with Trading Cards so you can still have a little bio of them, maybe some original art if you want to. Maybe a mini-game can also make a game of them.
You mean real trading cards, like, physical ones ? God, I hope they never do that. I succesfully avoided Magic: The Gathering so far, but that would be the end of my wallet...

Aligo

Smash Ace
You mean real trading cards, like, physical ones ? God, I hope they never do that. I succesfully avoided Magic: The Gathering so far, but that would be the end of my wallet...
Imagine the scalping... Scary stuff.

Aligo

Smash Ace
subspace, but what’s that got to do with a card game?
Nothing, was just thinking about side content in smash games. I don't play any card games, but was considering if it could have value as a side mode. More side content is an area in which a future smash game can trump ultimate.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Nothing, was just thinking about side content in smash games. I don't play any card games, but was considering if it could have value as a side mode. More side content is an area in which a future smash game can trump ultimate.
wouldn’t be hard as ultimate side stuff is lacking compared to its forebears

Eldrake

Smash Lord
The E.M.M.I Aggro-Control Deck would be really obnoxious to play against tho, especially when the E.M.M.I cards are buffed with Super Star cards and the damn Chaos Emerald cards.

Last edited:

Aligo

Smash Ace
The E.M.M.I Aggro-Control Deck would be really obnoxious to play against tho, especially when the E.M.M.I cards are buffed with Super Star cards and the damn Chaos Emerald cards.
That's why they didn't add the Mickey mouse card with sora, the lawsuit ability was too powerful.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Edit: Posting mistakes was made, delete this post please.

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
No real cards, just ones within the game. Aside from Amiibos if you count that, Trophies/Stickers/Spirits haven't been made a physically buyable thing. Then again, this'd be an even further modern game, so who knows what kind of "spending too much money on a video game" will be considered acceptable and normal at that point?

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Smash bros shouldn't include any Guest Fighters, because they would mock the Nintendo Allstars, since they would destroy the Celebration of Nintendo's History in a Game.
If we didn't have 3rd party reps, Smash wouldn't be a celebration of gaming.
(More like a party about Nintendo stuff with 3rd party characters as special guests.)

If we didn't have 3rd party reps, Smash wouldn't be a celebration of gaming.
(More like a party about Nintendo stuff with 3rd party characters as special guests.)
Dude, someone else can do Celebration of Gaming-type crossover like Capcom or SNK.
Nintendo should keep their characters far away from Strange Faces before they will get in trouble.

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
Smash bros shouldn't include any Guest Fighters, because they would mock the Nintendo Allstars, since they would destroy the Celebration of Nintendo's History in a Game.
People need to stop pretending that Mega Man means nothing to Nintendo, his inclusion in Smash isn't "mocking" anything at all

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
is it? Several modes are missing and what’s still there is rather watered down
I mean, they got rid of Targets, but it's not like dumbing it down to an Angry Birds clone made it all that great anyway. Though Smash Run was certainly a loss. Still, while I don't think Spirits are a replacement for platforming, I still appreciate them for giving us SOMETHING worthwhile to do, especially since the RNG was greatly improved over Smash4's ****ty custom parts-collecting.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean, they got rid of Targets, but it's not like dumbing it down to an Angry Birds clone made it all that great anyway. Though Smash Run was certainly a loss. Still, while I don't think Spirits are a replacement for platforming, I still appreciate them for giving us SOMETHING worthwhile to do, especially since the RNG was greatly improved over Smash4's ****ty custom parts-collecting.
again its a matter of perspective, theres probably plenty of people who liked that. all star is now just another multi man smash so it hardly seems worth the bother. and we no longer have event matches, and while you can argue that some spirit battles are reminiscent of them they never get quite as specific in what you have to do, its always beat the other fighter. and of course theres the master and crazy orders but im not sure anyone else remembers them. and it certainly looks like no one spared smash world a second thought

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
again its a matter of perspective, theres probably plenty of people who liked that. all star is now just another multi man smash so it hardly seems worth the bother. and we no longer have event matches, and while you can argue that some spirit battles are reminiscent of them they never get quite as specific in what you have to do, its always beat the other fighter. and of course theres the master and crazy orders but im not sure anyone else remembers them. and it certainly looks like no one spared smash world a second thought
Are you a fellow importer? Just wondering since you seem to refer to Smash Tour by its Japanese name (though it's actually World Smash, not Smash World).

But like you said, I guess it's different strokes. As much as I bemoan Ultimate's lack of gameplay variety, I can't say that there isn't a shortage of things to do, at least. Smash WiiU, on the other hand..... event matches were decent, and easily one of the better parts of Smash single-player (and yes, I don't get a lot of people comparing events to Spirits, since event rulings didn't always boil down to being a glorified Special Smash set-up). I see a lot of praise for Crazy Orders, but honestly, I never played too much of it. Smash WiiU just completely burned me out from attempting to do less than half of its damn Challenge wall (nothing completely drains any semblance of fun out of a game than going through All-Star on Hard with a character who's reliant on projectiles, I guess aside from attempting and failing to do that god-awful Classic Mode on 9.0, and without any of those damn customs you're arsed to collect). And there's a reason hardly anybody cared for Smash Tour (and WiiU treating it as the equivalent to Smash Run is a complete joke).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Are you a fellow importer? Just wondering since you seem to refer to Smash Tour by its Japanese name (though it's actually World Smash, not Smash World).
nope

Inclusion of Conker in Smash would bring more Fans to Smahs than Banjo-Kazooie.
is the number of fans a character would attract really a matter of opinion?

Last edited:
Top Bottom