• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Opinions (BE CIVIL)

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
  • Toad would be uninteresting as a playable character, not to mention I think he fits better as a Neutral Special for Peach
  • I never cared for or understood the idea of Palutena in Smash even before and after her reveal. Despite Uprising, I don't think the series has enough games to consider adding extra characters
  • Incineroar was not a necessary addition to Smash because
a- I find it overlaps with Charizard and Greninja in terms of typing and role
b- I never cared for the idea of having a Gen 7 pokemon for the sake of having one, not to mention I don't really care for Incineroar or Gen 7
c- I'd rather have Zangief for that playstyle than Incineroar
  • Ashnard should get in Smash
  • If we get more Final Fantasy reps, I would want it to be Lightning from FF13
  • Pac-Maze > Pac Land
  • Smashville and Town & City should not coexist
  • Smash 4 really should've added Krystal (since the first 3 Smash Games introduced a Starfox character each time)
  • I don't like the statement that the Mario series is overrepresented when it is like Nintendo's most important series
  • I was disappointed at the Mii costumes in Sora's trailer, 2 wigs, and 1 costume... come on.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
That Goomba doesn't have Arms and Steering with mouth his would look stupid as heck.
He’s driven before even without arms, this is a

also considering super mario party where they’re plaable and can literally do everything every other playable character can do means that I think it wouldn’t be out of place at all for a goomba to be in a go-kart

He’s driven before even without arms, this is a

also considering super mario party where they’re plaable and can literally do everything every other playable character can do means that I think it wouldn’t be out of place at all for a goomba to be in a go-kart
Dude! Mario Party is unrealistic game and the Motorcycle is actually Automatically driving.
And Go-Kart is powered by fuel and steer wheel is far about 20cm from Goomba's seat on Kart and Goomba can't stretch to get the Wheel.
CASE CLOSED!

Lenidem

Smash Lord
No, but at least they have Futuristic Technology that we might get in Future.
Case Closed!
And stop derailing the Thread with GOOMBRUH.
Then maybe their super futuristic technology allows Goomba to control his vehicle with his feet. How knows ? Also I don't think science will ever create flying blue shells and magical turbo mushrooms.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
No, but at least they have Futuristic Technology that we might get in Future.
Case Closed!
And stop derailing the Thread with GOOMBRUH.
I’m fine with us not discussing this but just know that me and Lenidem Lenidem were just trying to give our own opinions on the subject, that’s not derailing the thread because discussing opinions in a civil manner is the whole point of threads like these.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Since buying the Rabbid head as a joke and nostalgia, I think a playable Rabbid would be funny in a “WTF” kind of way kind of like Piranha Plant, Mad Piano, or Sandbag.

Last edited:

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
If we ever got an Anime character, I really don't want it to be Goku. I understand why and I wouldn't be upset if it was him (if this ever happened) but I think there'd be so many other great choices and in comparison Goku is too basic and too overpowered.

Also, to say it right now my first choice would be
Yugi Muto/Yami Yugi (I think the switch of personalities would make a very unique character, and the idea of a possible deck shuffling moveset sounds complicated but fascinating), followed by either Jotaro Kujo (JJBA bias as I love the series, but again JoJo would be a very unique character as we don't really have a hero disguising themselves as a bully, having a Stand would be very cool, and if Joker returns having Persona vs JoJo would be amazing) or Naruto (I like Ninja's but wasn't satisfied by Greninja, I'm hoping he'd satisfy my itch). Goku is probably around my 6-10 most wanted if Anime were real.

No, I like joke fighters.
I know you like those Odds, but Smash is supposed to be more Serious about picking characters to the Game. You know that Nintendo never jokes, he is like Saitama who doesn't smile, he is serious like Nintendo.
Remember that Nintendo was used to be happy child, but now it is Depressed middle Adult, who only cares about Anime characters and forgets about Scrimblo Bimblo Cartoon Character except AC, Splatoon, Kirby, Pokemon and Mario who survived the Extinction.
Even Nintendo drove Star Fox, Kid Icarus, Excite and Golden Sun to Extinction itself.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Seriously what is this god damn obsession over Goku being in Smash?

Why is he treated as an exceptional case as opposed to other 4th parties/non-gaming characters? If you want to really get down to it then Superman had more games then Goku ever had. Popeye has a history of being the core inspiration for what eventually led to Mario originally with the Donkey Kong arcade being planned to be a Popeye game. You don't see people talking about those.

And even then they as with any other 4th party/non-gaming character shouldn't be in because Smash is for characters who originated from video game franchises only.

"But Sor-"

Sora originated from a video game franchise, one that just happens to have Disney properties involved. That's the difference. Even then there's no Disney characters or references in any form with the closest being the Mickey keychain on his keyblade which further proves the whole rule of "video game characters only".

"Bu-b-but Dracula, Dr. Kawashima, Lucario, Lugia, and such"

Those are video game versions based on the original sources. Also Lucario and Lugia shouldn't count because the franchise they originate from is a video game franchise regardless of if they first debuted in a Pokemon movie.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Seriously what is this god damn obsession over Goku being in Smash?

Why is he treated as an exceptional case as opposed to other 4th parties/non-gaming characters? If you want to really get down to it then Superman had more games then Goku ever had. Popeye has a history of being the core inspiration for what eventually led to Mario originally with the Donkey Kong arcade being planned to be a Popeye game. You don't see people talking about those.

And even then they as with any other 4th party/non-gaming character shouldn't be in because Smash is for characters who originated from video game franchises only.

"But Sor-"

Sora originated from a video game franchise, one that just happens to have Disney properties involved. That's the difference. Even then there's no Disney characters or references in any form with the closest being the Mickey keychain on his keyblade which further proves the whole rule of "video game characters only".

"Bu-b-but Dracula, Dr. Kawashima, Lucario, Lugia, and such"

Those are video game versions based on the original sources. Also Lucario and Lugia shouldn't count because the franchise he originates from is a video game franchise regardless of if he first debuted in a Pokemon movie.
Dunno why people are so obsessed.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
I think that "joke characters" are, at this point, a genuine staple of Smash, and personally, I feel like if they were to leave Smash permenantly, it wouldn't be the same game anymore.

One aspect (in older games more than with Ultimate, really) is that completely bat**** insane characters can get in. Be these people like Mr. Game and Watch, bizarre picks like the Wii Fit Trainer, or even the unorthodox like Pirahna Plant, the uniting aspect is how unique these characters tend to be.

Like, why shouldn't Dr. Kawashima, Slippy Toad, a Tetris block, or yes, even Waluigi, be playable? If they can work in the game, I see no reason to gatekeep them because they're "joke characters" when Smash is a game where an intergalactic bounty hunter with a suit devised by a race of ancient aliens can beat the **** out of an electric yellow rat and an Italian plumber who eats mushrooms to grow big?

Though, this is only my opinion. I do understand that people would disagree, and I do see why people might disagree with "joke characters" when they might be taking away from Smash as a serious game... but the thing is, Smash isn't really a serious game to me. It's weird, crazy, and most of all - fun - and I think that these "joke characters" are a huge part of that.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
I personally wouldn't have a problem with there being 4 different iterations of Link in the next Smash game, as long as they were decloned.

1. BotW Link works pretty well, keep him as is but maybe add a couple of changes to make him pretty different - such as the Paraglider for his Up-B or maybe Daruk's Protection as a special shield kinda like Yoshi's Egg?

2. Young Link should be decloned, and the idea of giving him his various transformation masks would be perfect to do so.

3. Toon Link should be based primarily on his Wind Waker appearance, but give him items from different "toon" games too, like the Sand Rod!

4. "Classic" Link - based on his appearances up until OoT. His moveset near-exclusively focuses on various items as opposed to his sword.

Even though I'd love to see a more original Zelda rep, this would actually be pretty neat to me at least.

I personally wouldn't have a problem with there being 4 different iterations of Link in the next Smash game, as long as they were decloned.

1. BotW Link works pretty well, keep him as is but maybe add a couple of changes to make him pretty different - such as the Paraglider for his Up-B or maybe Daruk's Protection as a special shield kinda like Yoshi's Egg?

2. Young Link should be decloned, and the idea of giving him his various transformation masks would be perfect to do so.

3. Toon Link should be based primarily on his Wind Waker appearance, but give him items from different "toon" games too, like the Sand Rod!

4. "Classic" Link - based on his appearances up until OoT. His moveset near-exclusively focuses on various items as opposed to his sword.

Even though I'd love to see a more original Zelda rep, this would actually be pretty neat to me at least.
They're all the same characters.
Makes no sense, but it looks cool.

I think that "joke characters" are, at this point, a genuine staple of Smash, and personally, I feel like if they were to leave Smash permenantly, it wouldn't be the same game anymore.

One aspect (in older games more than with Ultimate, really) is that completely bat**** insane characters can get in. Be these people like Mr. Game and Watch, bizarre picks like the Wii Fit Trainer, or even the unorthodox like Pirahna Plant, the uniting aspect is how unique these characters tend to be.

Like, why shouldn't Dr. Kawashima, Slippy Toad, a Tetris block, or yes, even Waluigi, be playable? If they can work in the game, I see no reason to gatekeep them because they're "joke characters" when Smash is a game where an intergalactic bounty hunter with a suit devised by a race of ancient aliens can beat the **** out of an electric yellow rat and an Italian plumber who eats mushrooms to grow big?

Though, this is only my opinion. I do understand that people would disagree, and I do see why people might disagree with "joke characters" when they might be taking away from Smash as a serious game... but the thing is, Smash isn't really a serious game to me. It's weird, crazy, and most of all - fun - and I think that these "joke characters" are a huge part of that.
If they are, what's the point of Piranha Plant in the Game?
His role in Mario Tennis Aces spiced him up or what?

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
If they are, what's the point of Piranha Plant in the Game?
His role in Mario Tennis Aces spiced him up or what?
I'd say he's basically a joke character as well - but the unique aspect to Le Plant lies within their design. Being based upon the "limbs" being a giant head, two leaves and a pot gives Plant really unique movement, character and overall moveset design - the likes of which can't be replicated with other characters in the game, or truthfully, many others within media.

Top Bottom