• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I'd rather have more first party Nintendo characters that are either A. A Huge icon in their own series ( especially if it's a series with less than 4 reps ), B. Highly requested by fans despite importance or relevancy, or C. Are from an IP that isn't playable in Smash yet. Even if that means they have movesets as basic as the original 8 Smash 64 characters, instead of having a bunch of surprise characters nobody asked for, regardless of how crazy unique their moveset potential is, even if they have something in their moveset that no other character on the roster has yet, even if they have mechanics that could change the way I look at video games forever... I'd really just rather have my famous/fan fave Nintendo character and their basic-ass moveset. This goes double for third parties who's names aren't strongly associated with at least one Nintendo console.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
Ok so there's this one where it's Sakura (Fire Emblem) and you have to face versus Isabelle and Corrin on Reset Bomb Forest. Worst. Matchup. Ever. Corrin has a stun move and Isabelle has a command grab, so it's very hard to space the two apart, not to mention the both heal, and they're on the best map for camping people out.
I always had trouble on the Juri spirit battle against a side-b spamming Bayo. That was the bane of my existence :facepalm:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't want King K. Rool to be nerfed. He's the perfect jab to the just as op human anime wielders. Make Smash Nintendo again.
Just because you didn't know who Marth and Shulk were when you were 5 doesn't mean they're not Nintendo characters.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
nd several characters who have exist in one game only outside of Smash :ultcorrin::ulticeclimbers::ultincineroar::ultlucas::ultlucina::ultdarkpit::ultrobin::ultchrom::ultsheik:.
Actually, all of those characters but :ultdarkpit: and :ultlucas: have appeared in more than one game outside of Smash.

The Fire Emblem cast has Heroes and Warriors, as well as cameos in other games like Fates and Code Name STEAM (where they were full blown units).

Incineroar has appeared in Sun and Moon and Ultra Sun and Moon as well as every Gen VII spinoff.

Ice Climbers appear in all sorts of retro throwbacks from Wario Ware to NES Remix.

So... yeah, only :ultlucas: (Mother 3) and :ultdarkpit: (Kid Icarus Uprising).

Ironically, I think you missed a one off in Ness. I don't think he's in anything other than Earthbound. :ultness:

If you think that doesn't count well... You used Hyrule Warriors as evidence, bud.

None of the characters really seem to be one offs or seen as characters they never want to use again. They're all gonna come back some way and some how.

On the other hand, there are two Smash characters who still never made it out of Japan outside of Smash :ultroy::ultlucas:
As for this tidbit.

Roy has had a game where he made it out of Japan in Fire Emblem Heroes. It's why he speaks English now.

Lucas is the only Japan only character.

All that said, that's a big yes to a new Zelda character.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Do y'all ever get kinda disheartened when you realize all speculation is pointless and nothing we say will affect the game's content in any way whatsoever?

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Actually, all of those characters but :ultdarkpit: and :ultlucas: have appeared in more than one game outside of Smash.

The Fire Emblem cast has Heroes and Warriors, as well as cameos in other games like Fates and Code Name STEAM (where they were full blown units).

Incineroar has appeared in Sun and Moon and Ultra Sun and Moon as well as every Gen VII spinoff.

Ice Climbers appear in all sorts of retro throwbacks from Wario Ware to NES Remix.

Ironically, I think you missed a one off in Ness. I don't think he's in anything other than Earthbound. :ultness:

If you think that doesn't count well... You used Hyrule Warriors as evidence, bud.

None of the characters really seem to be one offs or seen as characters they never want to use again. They're all gonna come back some way and some how.

As for this tidbit.

Roy has had a game where he made it out of Japan in Fire Emblem Heroes. It's why he speaks English now.

Ness has a cameo in Mother 3

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Do y'all ever get kinda disheartened when you realize all speculation is pointless and nothing we say will affect the game's content in any way whatsoever?
Boy, I've been disheartened since 2008. It's nothing new, and I know I'm just doing this to kill time.

Gotmilk0112

Smash Apprentice
I really don't like the new "parry" system. Dropping shield at the right time is just on a whole new level of timing difficulty that it feels completely random when they happen and I can never capitalize on them.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
We were loud enough to get Sonic, Ridley, and K. Rool ...albeit the latter two came later than they should have. But it was thanks to the noise we made that they got in to begin with. Which is doubly impressive for Sonic since there weren't any official polls for Brawl. I do wish fans had a little more weight though, but it is proof that we can affect the game's content.

I only ever get disheartened when there's no support from other people for a character that I'd like, and they're not going to get in without that support because they're not notable enough, like Mike Jones... or worse, they are notable enough but the support for them is really wimpy for the status of the character and not even close to what K. Rool and Ridley had.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

As for this tidbit.

Oh don’t worry, I wasn’t trying to make a well formulated argument there. It’s more that I’m tired of seeing people decry Zelda characters but thrn hypocritically support others who have the same problems.

Besides, I’ve seen people make arguments about “X from Fire Emblem was in FE: Warriors, so they’re recurring!”
“But Midna was in Hyrule Warriors so she’s recurring too”
“No, spinoffs don’t count.”
:confused:

I’d love if the Zelda lineup didn't have multiple versions of three characters. Even then, I feel like YL could get a more Majora based kit, and TL could take more cues from WW and the handhelds to separate them. Midna and/or Skull Kid would be nice to see, and with the loss of transformations, Impa should totally have just taken over for Sheik.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I honestly kinda don't. Sure, I don't always get what I want when it comes to Smash newcomers, but I'll take the absurdity and chaos of Sakurai's crazy roulette wheel over the blandness of internet fandom prophecy any day of the week. :ultpiranha:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Oh don’t worry, I wasn’t trying to make a well formulated argument there. It’s more that I’m tired of seeing people decry Zelda characters but thrn hypocritically support others who have the same problems.

Besides, I’ve seen people make arguments about “X from Fire Emblem was in FE: Warriors, so they’re recurring!”
“But Midna was in Hyrule Warriors so she’s recurring too”
“No, spinoffs don’t count.”
:confused:

I’d love if the Zelda lineup didn't have multiple versions of three characters. Even then, I feel like YL could get a more Majora based kit, and TL could take more cues from WW and the handhelds to separate them. Midna and/or Skull Kid would be nice to see, and with the loss of transformations, Impa should totally have just taken over for Sheik.
Honestly I think Sheik is the ticket we need honestly.

She's a one off.

I really want a Zelda newcomer and aside from Bandana Dee, its my biggest personal want from already represented Nintendo franchises now that I got Ridley.

Issue is, who's left really? I'll take almost anyone cause they're all fantastic choices but...

I think Impa is the only one who is left aside from the champions maybe.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Waluigi doesn't deserve a spot in Smash.

People only really just likes him for the memes which is the only reason they want him to begin with and that's not getting started with how he's never starred in any main games and just spin-off sports games.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This thread has become a place where like a handful of users mull over the same topics again and again.

Perhaps a break is needed.

That or just more spicy opinions.

I'll just go ahead and say one.

I understand that Smash is a big deal, but people need to accept that its not some magical endorsement of what's "worthy" and what's not.

Several games, characters and series will be ignored or "underrepresented" for a variety of reasons, including timing, schedules and just plain bad luck.

I'm tired of people seeing an inclusion as some sort of seal of approval. And I'm tired of people seeing their series not being in as some insult like they weren't worth it.

Smash fans need to stop being defensive about these things.

UserKev

Smash Champion
User was warned for this post
Just because you didn't know who Marth and Shulk were when you were 5 doesn't mean they're not Nintendo characters.
Another triggered FE kid. Haha They're the Nintendo equivalents to anime.

Leave me alone.

Last edited:

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
:ultincineroar: is one of the best additions in terms of how he plays and animations. Amazing character.

:ultinkling: are annoying for my screenshot addiction since they ruin it with all the paint spam where as there is already tons of effects going on that makes it harder for me to take good screenshots without them blocking stuff with paint.

:ultridley: is pretty underwhelming overall. I don't really want to see him cut, but I feel he is pretty one note and forgettable.

:ultwiifittrainer: is lots of fun to use. Smacking and killing a godlike, murderous boss with a ball from a yoga guy is hilarious.

:ultbowserjr: is also pretty fun and I love the Koopalings and want them to stick around. I know Jr. fans are salty that they don't get alternate colors for their boy, but the Koopalings are even better.

I miss star and screen splat KOs, too many times they are replaced with blasts.

Giga Bowser is lame. I rather Bowser use or do something that fits him even if it's just a gigantic him punching the players or Dry Bowser being the Boss. I just don't like this tacked on Boss Bowser.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Alright, I'm tired of this.

Asking for a spear or axe user to "fill out the weapon triangle" is stupid.
It's on the same level as asking for a grass type to fill out the starter-type triangle or blue toad to fill out the mario quartet or bandanna waddle dee for the Kirby quartet or asking for an anima light-magic user (Micaiah) to fill out the FE magic triangle (Yeah, remember that the magic has its own triangle?) or the rest of the DK crew to fill out DK's partners, or Slippy Toad for the Starfox crew, or whatever.
Make no mistake, all these characters have their own merits for being in, but not just because they fill out some arbitrary quota.

If you're going to push for a character, push for a character you actually like beyond their most basic ****ing traits.

Fire Emblem doesn't "need" an axe or spear user. The only thing it "needs" are characters people actually like.
I agree; having some position to fit can some meaning, but in the end the most important thing is to be genuienily wanted the character for whatever reason we would have.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I still say there aren't ENOUGH Fire Emblem characters, honestly.

Smash has added Marth, but after that then it's usually just whoever is in the latest FE game. This means beloved characters like Sigurd and Seliph from the 4th game, Geneology of the Holy War, don't become playable because the latest game at the time was Thracia 776, which is why Lief was originally going to be Marth's clone in Melee...except even he was scrapped and replaced with Roy since even though his game still wasn't out yet, Sakurai was in the know about the new GBA game Intelligent Systems was making.

Then America got its first Fire Emblem game, starring the trio of Lyn, Eliwood, and Hector. Lyn was the most popular because you start the game with her even though the game centers on Eliwood later on, but by the time Brawl came out, Path of Radiance released so Ike was added instead (Radiant Dawn too but Ike was in that one as well). Ike is great from what I know, so his inclusion doesn't bother me, but I was annoyed that Lyn wasn't included alongside him, though at least she was an Assist Trophy.

Both Smash 4 and Ultimate averted this, as the only games released around their time were either remakes, spin-offs, or the one new mainline game (Awakening and Fates respectively). The Awakening trio all making it in eventually made sense because that game saved the series from the brink of death, and while many would argue Corrin was included too early at least Fates was still the only new game around Ultimate's release that wasn't a remake or spinoff. Still, I find myself sad that plenty of older Fire Emblem characters aren't in simply because they're not the in the latest game, so any hopes I have for Caeda, Alm, Celica, Hardin, Sigurd, Seliph, Lief, Lyn, Eliwood, Hector, Eirika, Ephraim, Black Knight, or Micaiah are dashed. At least we keep Lyn as an Assist Trophy and Black Knight was added as well, alongside everyone's favorite Manakete Tiki (hoping Anna appears in some non Spirit capacity someday).

Chrom gives me hope that in the future we'll get Fire Emblem characters that aren't from the newest game, though I'm still doubtful.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
so any hopes I have for Caeda, Alm, Celica, Hardin, Sigurd, Seliph, Lief, Lyn, Eliwood, Hector, Eirika, Ephraim, Black Knight, or Micaiah are dashed. At least we keep Lyn as an Assist Trophy and Black Knight was added as well, alongside everyone's favorite Manakete Tiki (hoping Anna appears in some non Spirit capacity someday).

Chrom gives me hope that in the future we'll get Fire Emblem characters that aren't from the newest game, though I'm still doubtful.
okay, so let's see... 15... then add tiki... plus the two characters I want... add that to the 7 FE already has... that's 25... so multiply by the "Mogis Quotatant"...

That would mean-- for the sake of fairness --Zelda, DK, and Kirby would have 37.5 characters. Each.
For reference...
Kirby: Star Allies has 42 playable characters.
Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition has 31 playable characters.

I can't even fathom the amount of characters Mario and Pokemon would be allowed to have, but if these numbers were any indication, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe wouldn't even be scratching the surface, and Pokemon would have more then enough to hopefully avoid making the same mistakes Pokken made.

You hear that? That is the sound of the M.U.G.E.N. Developers sobbing into their pillows at the mere thought of any of this being a reality.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
okay, so let's see... 15... then add tiki... plus the two characters I want... add that to the 7 FE already has... that's 25... so multiply by the "Mogis Quotatant"...

That would mean-- for the sake of fairness --Zelda, DK, and Kirby would have 37.5 characters. Each.
For reference...
Kirby: Star Allies has 42 playable characters.
Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition has 31 playable characters.

I can't even fathom the amount of characters Mario and Pokemon would be allowed to have, but if these numbers were any indication, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe wouldn't even be scratching the surface, and Pokemon would have more then enough to hopefully avoid making the same mistakes Pokken made.

You hear that? That is the sound of the M.U.G.E.N. Developers sobbing into their pillows at the mere thought of any of this being a reality.
Speaking of MUGEN and Lyn...
Lyn Mugen.gif

Come on, Sakurai.
Come on.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I'M SORRY, WHAT.

Anyway, here's one: I don't understand why people like the trophies from Melee theme at all.

Also, does anyone think Grima would be good as the FE villain? Not sure how unpopular that opinion is/
What do you mean by this? You mean the theme/lore of the trophies in Melee, their designs, the intro? Kind of puzzled.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
What do you mean by this? You mean the theme/lore of the trophies in Melee, their designs, the intro? Kind of puzzled.
The music in the background. That's what I meant. It could be selected as the main menu theme In Brawl/Smash 4 and it was pretty boring.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
The music in the background. That's what I meant. It could be selected as the main menu theme In Brawl/Smash 4 and it was pretty boring.
Ooooh

Yeah I used it sometimes. It's nice to have relaxing music at times amid the rock and blazing instruments.

RachelTheIvysaur

Smash Rookie
Hello! Registered today to share my unpopular opinion: Final Smash Meter is great and I hope that it is on during Evo next year.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I'M SORRY, WHAT.
I wasn't sure what else to call it. Basically, you multiply the total number of Fire Emblem characters by 1.5, and that's the amount of spots Kirby, DK and Zelda need to keep things... for lack of a better word, "fair."

I can call it something else if needed.

The only reason I used part of your username for the name was because the formula was inspired by this quote:

FE shouldn't have more than four reps (especially if over half of them are Marths), Kirby and DK should have at least six each.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I wasn't sure what else to call it. Basically, you multiply the total number of Fire Emblem characters by 1.5, and that's the amount of spots Kirby, DK and Zelda need to keep things... for lack of a better word, "fair."

I can call it something else if needed.

The only reason I used part of your username for the name was because the formula was inspired by this quote:
It feels like Nintendo is trying to make Fire Emblem bigger than DKC instead (though I don't know if they're crazy enough to try to make it bigger than Zelda or Kirby).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom