• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallerian

Smash Apprentice
I wish the codec calls were updated to include the entire updated roster. The fact that they weren't and are literal rehashes from Brawl makes me prefer it if they weren't in the game at all. Makes it less nostalgic, and more disappointing.

Lyu_

Smash Rookie
Baten Kaitos could use an entry to the roster. Just the spirits wont do for me, sadly.

Some of the characters would make a great addition to the cast and some could even be added as clones (with a few changes to moves/animations)

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I wish the codec calls were updated to include the entire updated roster. The fact that they weren't and are literal rehashes from Brawl makes me prefer it if they weren't in the game at all. Makes it less nostalgic, and more disappointing.
It's not a simple rehash. It's just literally the same coding. My guess is they didn't have the extra money to re-license an all new actor so paid to reuse the assets at a cheaper price. It sucks, but at least the stage is seeing one of its most noted uses. Just not as good as it should be.

UserKev

Smash Champion
The returning of Smash 64/Melee stages, K. Rool and Ridley are the only hype of the game that actually make Smash Ultimate. worth picking up.
I'm not found of individual Classic Mode but I'll take it tho. Classic Mode's bosses should have dependent on the level of difficult.
I don't legitimately like customs of high fan requested characters over Mii's.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
The newcomer lineup was kinda underwhelming for me honestly :/, i mean it's cool we got characters like K. Rool & Ridley, and i'm happy that my baby girl Isabelle made it in, but I personally didn't care about the other characters.

UserKev

Smash Champion
The newcomer lineup was kinda underwhelming for me honestly :/, i mean it's cool we got characters like K. Rool & Ridley, and i'm happy that my baby girl Isabelle made it in, but I personally didn't care about the other characters.
You just "don't know" the characters. I feel like this, to. I was happy for Isabelle and Incineroar but I didn't grow up with them like I did with basically K. Rool and Ridley.

Smash Ultimate's roster is pretty good and its gameplay, is also pretty damn good. I think we can all agree on at least that, if not for some critiques here and there.

But personally... everything else Ultimate offers is subpar if not outright bad. Both singleplayer and multiplayer modes are both gimped to the point where I have to question the logic behind the designers of this system.
For the life of me, I'll still never be able to find a good reason why Home Run Contest is gone and why All Star mode was reduced to not being All Star Mode anymore.

osby

Smash Obsessed
For the life of me, I'll still never be able to find a good reason why Home Run Contest is gone and why All Star mode was reduced to not being All Star Mode anymore.
First one: Time constraints?
Second: Because it was already a giant chore in the last game. There was no way they could keep it same.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
The opposite of this is the unpopular opinion.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
All Star mode was complete garbage in Smash 4. It only would have been worse in Ultimate. The mode is outdated due to the roster size.

Homerun Contest is a nice little mini game but it's been in 3 games now. Maybe they simply wanted a change or it will be back as free DLC.

(Not directed at you) Also multiplayer being gimped? How? It's Smash 4's multiplayer with more stuff in it. Online is another story but it will get fixed.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
All Star mode was complete garbage in Smash 4. It only would have been worse in Ultimate. The mode is outdated due to the roster size.

Homerun Contest is a nice little mini game but it's been in 3 games now. Maybe they simply wanted a change or it will be back as free DLC.

(Not directed at you) Also multiplayer being gimped? How? It's Smash 4's multiplayer with more stuff in it. Online is another story but it will get fixed.
I though All Star was fun is Brawl, but I agree that it would be way too long to survive in Ultimate. If they had pre-selected modes like Classic in Ultimate or they let you choose like Classic in Smash 4, it could have been better.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
That was Smash For in a nutshell for me.

"Oh cool! We got Robin and Lucina!

...aaaaaaand. Uh. That's it I guess. And they ruined ZSS. Hooray."

osby

Smash Obsessed
That was Smash For in a nutshell for me.

"Oh cool! We got Robin and Lucina!

...aaaaaaand. Uh. That's it I guess. And they ruined ZSS. Hooray."
I know this is an answer, but posting this on here is kinda funny, considering how wildly popular it is.

Buuut, I have to agree with the OP, there were only like three characters I was seriously hyped for in this game.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I know this is an answer, but posting this on here is kinda funny, considering how wildly popular it is.

Buuut, I have to agree with the OP, there were only like three characters I was seriously hyped for in this game.
That's the interesting thing about these fanservice games. Not everyone is a fan of everything.

It's not that I didn't like Smash For's roster. It's that very little of the roster appealed to me. Ultimate's, Brawl's and Melee's newcomers all had a decent handful of characters I wanted to try and main. In For I basically picked up Lucina and Robin and just played my Brawl characters again.

It's totally understandable for someone to think, even in a game where EVERYONE IS HERE, that there aren't any newcomers tailored to their tastes.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Same for me, to be honest. But to be fair, I already got most of the characters that got me really excited back with Smash 4, with Shulk, Lucina, Robin, Palutena and Rosalina. The only character that I really wanted for Ultimate were Inkling and Elma, and the former was already confirmed along with the game itself, while the latter. . . well, I'm still banking on the absurd lack of Xenoblade Chronicles X content in Ultimate being because of her being planned as DLC. Still, characters like Ridley, K. Rool and Simon were a fun surprise and are pretty fun to play as for me.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Saaaaaaaame. I was left disappointed without a Kirby or Xenoblade newcomer.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Sakurai is an overpraised and overrated developer. His ego is larger than anyone wants to admit and it's exactly why he continues to make the games despite saying he doesn't want to make another time and time again. Not because he wants the glory but because he doesn't want to share it. God knows Nintendo will continue to pump out smash games with or without him and he can't stand the idea of someone else doing it
I need to vent so I'll respond to this late. Sakurai, as great as a developer he is, he has an incredible bias towards western like IP's. DK should have as much representation equivalent with FE. And even if this is coming from my bias of wanting Cranky Kong, DK's IP is legitimately as old as the Mario series. You can argue Cranky or Funky Kong possibly lacks a type of significance but you can't ignore Dixie Kong. We were extremely lucky to get Ridley and K. Rool.

I feel like Sakurai uses Tingle to justify that he doesn't favor the Japanese audience.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I need to vent so I'll respond to this late. Sakurai, as great as a developer he is, he has an incredible bias towards western like IP's. DK should have as much representation equivalent with FE. And even if this is coming from my bias of wanting Cranky Kong, DK's IP is legitimately as old as the Mario series. You can argue Cranky or Funky Kong possibly lacks a type of significance but you can't ignore Dixie Kong. We were extremely lucky to get Ridley and K. Rool.

I feel like Sakurai uses Tingle to justify that he doesn't favor the Japanese audience.
FACTS.

DK is one of Nintendo's oldest franchises and I can't believe that Fire Emblem has over twice as many fighters as it. Same for Kirby. DK has ~ 70 million sales and Kirby has ~ 40 million, Fire Emblem has less than 15 million. We've gotten FE fighters just for advertisement reasons. People in the west want another Kirby or DK fighter as much as or even more than requests such as Banjo or Isaac. And here we are getting our fourth (or fifth, I've lost count) Marth, who was rushed in the game at the last second for no reason, behind the argument "He's popular in Japan!" Who cares? I wish the development team would acknowledge their western audience as much as their Japanese audience. FE shouldn't have more than four reps (especially if over half of them are Marths), Kirby and DK should have at least six each.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
They don't really need any more than Dixie and Bandana Dee. Anything else would be forcing them in just to have them.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
How about we give FE 10 (but Roy and Chrom ain't one of 'em because **** your semi-clones) and we give Zelda, DK and Kirby 15 each?
I mean....yeah? Although I can't imagine how many fighters a SSB game with those proportions would have......
They don't really need any more than Dixie and Bandana Dee. Anything else would be forcing them in just to have them.
I respectfully disagree with you. Check out the fanbases for both DK and Kirby, there are plenty of heavily demanded and debated fighter requests from each series. Especially considering their relevance to Nintendo and how often some characters keep appearing in their respective games.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I respectfully disagree with you. Check out the fanbases for both DK and Kirby, there are plenty of heavily demanded and debated fighter requests from each series. Especially considering their relevance to Nintendo and how often some characters keep appearing in their respective games.
I think what he's trying to say (could be wrong) is that DK and Kirby aren't as character-focused as Fire Emblem is. While Fire Emblem has sold less in total by a significant margin, it's a series whose main appeal is interactions between multiple characters, and almost every game in the 15 game series is set in a completely different world with a new cast. DK and Kirby always star DK and Kirby, with only a small handful of recognizable side characters and villains. FE has enough memorable characters to fill a gotcha mobile game to the brim.

I think the inherent rift between FE and other Nintendo franchises lies in FE's many, many main characters versus other series' one or two. Even Awakening has arguably three different "main characters" depending on your perspective, and as it turns out, all three of them got into Smash. Is it a fair representation of which series has the most fans? No. But FE just has way more to draw from in sheer numbers.

Anacybele

Smash Cadet
My most unpopular opinion is probably that Black Knight should've been the echo fighter added for FE over Chrom. Awakening doesn't need three characters when other FE games have just one or none imo. And BK is my favorite villain and I think FE needs a villain. BK for Ike echo with something like Zelda's warp for his Up B, just called Warp Powder, would be awesome.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Black Knight wouldn't work as an echo of Ike. He's way too bulky for that.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I think what he's trying to say (could be wrong) is that DK and Kirby aren't as character-focused as Fire Emblem is. While Fire Emblem has sold less in total by a significant margin, it's a series whose main appeal is interactions between multiple characters, and almost every game in the 15 game series is set in a completely different world with a new cast. DK and Kirby always star DK and Kirby, with only a small handful of recognizable side characters and villains. FE has enough memorable characters to fill a gotcha mobile game to the brim.

I think the inherent rift between FE and other Nintendo franchises lies in FE's many, many main characters versus other series' one or two. Even Awakening has arguably three different "main characters" depending on your perspective, and as it turns out, all three of them got into Smash. Is it a fair representation of which series has the most fans? No. But FE just has way more to draw from in sheer numbers.
With that Logic, Mario and Bowser should be the only Mario characters since they both appear as major story characters in most Mairo games (with Luigi almost absent), Peach is just a damsel in distress, and most others play little relevance. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying maybe you're overlooking some things. Yes, most Kirby games star the 4 major characters (:ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight: and Dee), but plenty of others appear and reappear every now and then, with a dozen characters appearing as the dream friends, making playable appearances (and also being canon). They could (and should) use this as a good reason to add more Kirby characters, perhaps one from each wave (including Dee).

As for DK, they've mainly been focusing on Dixie and Cranky more than the other Kongs, and they've both been heavily relevant. Funky is also important but not as emphasized, and most other Kongs they could choose from would be old picks.

As for FE, yes, the series has a heavy focus on characters, but that doesn't mean they should have that much. Just because the series has lots of characters doesn't mean they should also have lots in Smash, especially considering FE's small popularity in comparison, and how generic some of them have turned out to be.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
The times I did state my opinion in the past about it, I usually got shot down immediately. Or was usually hit with a "IF YOU DONT LIKE IT, DONT DO IT."
Those people........yeesh. Although it's hard to get new VA's for something like that, I wish they could have at least put more effort into it.

Anacybele

Smash Cadet
Black Knight wouldn't work as an echo of Ike. He's way too bulky for that.
So he'd be heavier, so what? BK wouldn't work as anything else, the two literally share the same sword style. And as Ken and Ryu as well as Marth and Lucina showed, there can be tiny differences between echoes. Ken runs faster. Lucina doesn't have Marth's tipper. BK would just be heavier than Ike.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
This is more for Kirby if I'm just going by development time. Dixie Kong is in your face obvious and Cranky Kong has unique qualities MADE for Smash. I really think you should do some research on this character. Funky Kong would completely rid DK's neglected status.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I'm starting to get sick of people justifying typically unpopular characters like Steve or a Three Houses rep because they would "make sense" to add. Maybe they would, Mr. Backseat Businessman - though that's a pretty nebulous criterion for inclusion, if you ask me - but I really don't see why that means I should like them. Like, this character that fans hate would benefit X corporation, so I, a consumer, should be happy that they're in... what? That line of logic makes literally no sense to me. Quite the contrary, if a character is added solely to advertise something, I most certainly am not going to like them because I actually think about how I spend my money, and I find the idea that I'll instantly throw my money at any shiny product that's waved in front of my face for half a second pretty damn patronizing. I dunno, maybe that's just me, but I frankly don't see how anyone could enjoy being bent over a table and ****ed by corporations instead of getting a character people actually want. Do people just like being told what they want or something?
(And before some smartass inevitably breaches the one rule of the thread and calls me out on that last line, no, I am obviously not implying that literally nobody wants Steve, or Edelgard, or any promotional character. See: hyperbole. I am pretty certain, however, that many more people would be ****ing livid at their inclusion.)

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
This is more for Kirby if I'm just going by development time. Dixie Kong is in your face obvious and Cranky Kong has unique qualities MADE for Smash. I really think you should do some research on this character. Funky Kong would completely rid DK's neglected status.
Wait, who called DK neglected? Obviously Sakurai holds DK to a higher standard (hence only having 3 fighters) but Nintendo as a whole still loves DK.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Wait, who called DK neglected? Obviously Sakurai holds DK to a higher standard (hence only having 3 fighters) but Nintendo as a whole still loves DK.
Donkey Kong is neglected in Smash. K. Rool wouldn't have been possible without the ballot. "See Dixie Kong still not included"

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Donkey Kong is neglected in Smash. K. Rool wouldn't have been possible without the ballot. "See Dixie Kong still not included"
Bandana Dee and Magolor placed 4th and 7th in the ballot. If DK is neglected, then Kirby is triple neglected.

But I see what you mean.

Fair, fair. Can't forget about the possibility of free DLC.

Here's my unpopular opinion: I would have loved fighting 70+ characters in a traditional All-Star mode. Would have felt like a badass challenge IMO. I'm probably just unreasonably masochistic and/or a marathoner, XD.

Agreed on multiplayer mode. I really can't see how it's anything but better than Smash 4's.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Final smashes are lame, and I wouldn't mind if they got removed. Some of the more cinematic ones are cool (ex: Ridley's), but for the most part they just aren't that good, or are really anti-climatic. A majority of the cast do these generic MvC Strider Raganarok super moves where they just move around your character that's suck in place, and hit you a bunch of times... Lame. Others are just... Bad. Like, Link shows you with an arrow, and that's it...

Is dislking WoL unpopular, or popular? I'm not sure, but personally I hate it, and the fact that it's the main form of single player content in this game is incredibly dissapointing.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
My most unpopular opinion is probably that Black Knight should've been the echo fighter added for FE over Chrom. Awakening doesn't need three characters when other FE games have just one or none imo. And BK is my favorite villain and I think FE needs a villain. BK for Ike echo with something like Zelda's warp for his Up B, just called Warp Powder, would be awesome.
I knew Black Knight's chances as an Echo were 50/50, but I still find it really lame that we got Chrom over him. Chrom wasn't like Ridley where he had issues, it's just he had nothing new to bring to the table. Black Knight, while still a blue-haired sword user, at least is an armoured unit and a villain, which would have changed up FE's playable representation at least a little bit. Frankly I thought both were getting in to appease both sides of the FE fandom, but oh well.

Sucks for me that many of my top wanteds ended up as Assists, I only got Ridley and Dark Samus out of the lineup with K. Rool and Richter as good surprises. Wish Isabelle had stayed an Assist.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Final smashes are lame, and I wouldn't mind if they got removed. Some of the more cinematic ones are cool (ex: Ridley's), but for the most part they just aren't that good, or are really anti-climatic. A majority of the cast do these generic MvC Strider Raganarok super moves where they just move around your character that's suck in place, and hit you a bunch of times... Lame. Others are just... Bad. Like, Link shows you with an arrow, and that's it...
I actually been having this opinion in my head for awhile, I just didn't know how to word it. Haha I have a love-hate relationship with Final Smashes because its like they provide easy wins against opponents you could have otherwise beat but they are entertaining and ultimately changed Smash for the better. I do find myself missing the good days of less tensed none dramatic battles in Smash 64/Melee tho, just classic shenanigans.

Anacybele

Smash Cadet
I knew Black Knight's chances as an Echo were 50/50, but I still find it really lame that we got Chrom over him. Chrom wasn't like Ridley where he had issues, it's just he had nothing new to bring to the table. Black Knight, while still a blue-haired sword user, at least is an armoured unit and a villain, which would have changed up FE's playable representation at least a little bit. Frankly I thought both were getting in to appease both sides of the FE fandom, but oh well.
Yeah, basically how I feel too, in addition to what I said about Awakening being over-repped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom