• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucasBlitz

Smash Rookie
NNID
LucasBlitz
3DS FC
4141-3310-4813
Super Smash Br-
*Sees Melee vs Sm4sh wars*
*Sees melee vs Pm wars*
*Sees Pm vs Brawl wars*
* Sees all other fanbase combinations bar 64 wars*
*Sees Ridley wars*

Well, at least compared to other fanbases, we only argue among ourselves. So again, Super Smash br-
*Sees Ridley hater logic*

Never mind. My unpopular opinion: Super Smash Brothers community has got to be the worst one ever, and based by how we act, we don't deserve Sakurai even trying to give us the game we want.
This lies more on the fact that other fanbases get catered to. Not in a "the customer is always right" but other companies adknowledge their fanbases exist. Nintendo sticks its fingers in its ears and sings as loudly as possible ignoring all of us. So its not surprising to get a cynical fanbase because of this.
My unpopular opinion: Yes. We suck as a fanbase.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
I sort of wish the custom moves were a bit more creative instead of "CHECK OUT THE EXACT SAME MOVE BUT HEAVIER/LIGHTER LOL!!1!". Wouldve been cool to swap Marios fludd with tornado or something but they just stuck to tweaking one move to be either heavier or lighter. Kind of a bummer.
The point is to keep the same move with didfferent effects. And there is no single move that makes you heavier, as your weight stays considtent throughout the fight. :troll:

I know what you mean. But there are some unique customs that are still the same move like Mega Man.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Super Smash Br-
*Sees melee vs Pm wars*
*Sees Pm vs Brawl wars*
*Sees Ridley wars*

Well, at least compared to other fanbases, we only argue among ourselves. So again, Super Smash br-

Never mind. My unpopular opinion: Super Smash Brothers community has got to be the worst one ever, and based by how we act, we don't deserve Sakurai even trying to give us the game we want.
"You main a low tier character? Hahaha, you'll never get anywhere, reconsider your main. What are you, some kind of hipster?"

"You main a top tier character? Lol how unoriginal, you're just like everyone else."

Gotta love it.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Super Smash Br-
*Sees melee vs Pm wars*
*Sees Pm vs Brawl wars*
*Sees Ridley wars*

This. Especially the last part. We blame Sakurai for tripping (even though we don't know the extent of his involvement in that) and we even named a knockback angle that can lead to tripping after him (the Sakurai angle). We can really jump to conclusions sometimes. And somehow, in spite of all this, he still decided to give us For Glory. Even if it's not perfect, he still thought about us. And we still dislike him.
Though to be fair, some of us are actually pretty grateful and nice to Sakurai. Example: http://smashboards.com/threads/proj...-fans-and-artists-under-new-ownership.349673/

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I firmly believe that if Wolf/Lucas/Ice Climbers/Squirtle/Ivysaur/Snake were never cut, most wouldn't give as much of a crap about them as they do now.

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
Any group of people usually has bad eggs in it, in general. I've begun to detach this fact from when just discussion "fanbases".
It'd be interesting to see what makes a group of game fans less toxic then others, like, the elements that make it less volatile than others.

Last edited:

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
I am now not sure if
Any group of people usually has bad eggs in it, in general. I've begun to detach this fact from when just discussion "fanbases".
It'd be interesting to see what makes a group of game fans less toxic then others, like, the elements that make it less volatile than others.
I think when it comes down to it, every community/fanbase/etc is seen as toxic because humans tend to notice the negative more than the positive and either disregard the neutral or interpret it differently than intended.

Leety

Smash Cadet
NNID
Leety01
3DS FC
1993-8239-5899
Hmmmmm, unpopular Smash Opinion?

Gamecube controller is actually one of my least favorite controllers to use. I still think it's very manageable but if it wasn't for GC having a second joystick, it would rank behind the wii-mote/nun-chuck controls for me. Big button A for a standard move makes sense and B button for special also makes sense, but when it comes to short hopping with a Y button, that's when it just feels awkward for me to use. Also having R/L and requiring to 'click' in order to use shield doesn't help as it feels like I'm hammering my controller just to shield.

I dunno, maybe it's just growing up with a SNES that makes me enjoy the button scheme of a classic controller or a gamepad a lot more.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
They should remove all true combo throws from characters, and instead offer it to those who didn't have it
Am I doing this right? LOL

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Been a while, I'm gonna post some post release impressions.

- Kirby is the anti-fun of Smash bros

- Why are there so many f**king guides on how to play strong characters and none for the weaker, shouldn't it be the other way around? Rather learning alt playstlyes for your favorite franchise rather than 50 of the same "Show me ya moves" tutorials?

- I'm seeing alot of alt mainers trying to double dip, saying "Oh he was just added in in the last minute" and then turning around and saying "Oh clones were planned from the beginning" and I'm sorry, but you can't have it both ways. With the possible exception of Lucina, Sakurai has always stated that rosters were planned from the beginning so yes being shoe-horned in and taking up roster space is a very valid criticism.

- I'm glad Sakurai is leaving, I have nothing against him and think he's done his very best he can for the franchise, but I think he's reached the limit of what he can do to this series. I also think Smash bros would benefit from a creative proccess that is more a 'democracy' than that of an 'oligarchy'

Last edited:

Kil3r

Smash Rookie
They should add all 3 leader protagonists(including Ness and Lucas) and all 3 main villains from Earthbound\Mother series as playable characters.

Little Mac is actually a average if not underpowered character in the roster.

EDIT: I would also say this game's balance is only just a little better than melees. There are very small amount of competitive characters (about 7). A HUGE amount of average but still viable characters (with almost no almost competitive characters). and a small amount of simply non viable characters.

Last edited:

Storm Erion

Smash Cadet
I really don't think Jigglypuff should have been in Smash Bros to begin with, or at least cut for another Pokemon in later games.

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
My opinions:

- I personally HATE :4falcon:, :4sheik: and:4zss:. I believe they're WAY too buffed, and really need to be slightly nerfed...

- I personally like :4olimar:. He really isn't as good as his Brawl counterpart, but he's still got some of his Brawl power left in him!

- I think :4miibrawl:, :4miigun: and:4miisword: are useless additions. Nobody hardly uses them, because people play online for the majority of their play time, and barely receive any opportunities to use them (unless you play with friends).

- I was excited when I first learned :4pacman: was a confirmed character in Sm4sh. However, playing him for the first time made me realize he wan't as great as I anticipated, but he's still a character I like to play as once in a while.

- I find that Sm4sh really doesn't really have the strategy that past installments had. Sure, Brawl was slow-pased and Sm4sh fixed that, however, many strategic elements that were in Brawl (Ex. chain grabbing, ledge camping, etc.) were removed in Sm4sh. There really aren't as many options as there were before.

- I honestly don't find :4diddy: as much of a nuisance. I've never really had problems with Diddy players.

- I saw potential in :4wiifit: when she was revealed. Playing her for the first time however, made me lose hope in her.

- I'm bothered that the 3DS controller can only be used in single player. I was hoping that I could use the 3DS as a main controller, since it has become the easiest controller to handle personally. I think everyone should be privileged to play with ANY controller that he feels is best for him, WITHOUT limitations.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
  • I love playing Smash Bros 4 3DS more than Wii U because Prism Tower
  • I love Melee and like Sheik there more than in S4
  • The Melee vs Smash4 debates are sickening yet great to toss bait at. I'm at a love / hate relationship here, halp!
  • I think this thread is cancer
- The end

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
  • I love playing Smash Bros 4 3DS more than Wii U because Prism Tower
  • I love Melee and like Sheik there more than in S4
  • The Melee vs Smash4 debates are sickening yet great to toss bait at. I'm at a love / hate relationship here, halp!
  • I think this thread is cancer
- The end
I see what you did there

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
I've got an unpopular opinion:
Though the ideas of a balance patch and DLC content sound really appealing to me, I don't think we're gonna get everything we're asking for.

Starting with DLC: Aside from Mewtwo and the Miiverse stage, I don't think Smash will have DLC. That would be because Sakurai's vision of the game is what came out on October 3rd and November 21st. Video games have to balance out the director's intentions as well as the player's input--it is just as much a game for the fans as a director's work of art. So he's probably not gonna want to keep making concessions like Mewtwo indefinitely.

Similarly, this applies to the balance patch: Let's face it. It is impossible for a video game to have a completely balanced roster of characters. All of them are unique in certain ways and there is no scale that can accurately compare their distinctive techniques and rank them in terms of usefulness, brokenness, etc. The only way we can have a perfectly balanced roster is if it was like this:
And I would be the only one happy with it.
Now let's assume that Sakurai does make balance patches to keep us happy. Since the games are still new, players are gonna be discovering a lot of new mechanics and techniques, so the game will need a lot of balancing and re-balancing for a while. In that time that Sakurai spends on Smash, he could be working on a new project--and that would be any video game director's preference: To work on new projects and create new masterpieces (or garbage).
Trust me, I would love to see a patch. I want buffs on some of the characters so that the gap between Diddy and the lower tier characters is narrowed. But I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:

LITTLEPUNCH

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
3995-0713-4011
I actually think the smash ball can work in competitive maches. just if its inbetween characters like Charzard and sonic who have an ultimate form. not if its like olimar's final smash were you can't dodge it.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
People ride Sakurai's **** too much.

They also hate him uncontrollably too much.

Storm Erion

Smash Cadet
You've obviously never gotten a dual ping in doubles.
Doubles are too scawwy.

To get more on topic, I also think Yoshi's voice is way more annoying than Fox's. I don't find Fox's that bad, actually. Was his other voice better? Sure, but I don't mind this one either.

Last edited:

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Here's another one: I respect players no matter who they main, even if it's Fox or something. People get so much hate for using him or another top tier and it's kinda dumb. One of my best friends in the community is a Fox player (I prefer Falco though lol)

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
-Sometimes I feel ashamed of being a Lucas main, I simply hate those guys who say:
"Blah blah, I miss Lucas, Wolf and the Ice Climbers so much =(((((((((((((((((( *sad face*, this game feels so incomplete, buhuhu",
they were my favorite characters ... yes! those 3!
Sakurai hates the fans!".

-The Ice Climbers will not return as DLC ... and that's awesome.

Last edited:

blue_flavored

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blueflavored
Bring back random tripping.....just kidding. Get rid of Rob, he is the sourse of all evil. And for God's sake take out Olimar. And what the heck happened to the Ice Climbers?

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
-Sometimes I feel ashamed of being a Lucas main, I simply hate those guys who say:
"Blah blah, I miss Lucas, Wolf and the Ice Climbers so much =(((((((((((((((((( *sad face*, this game feels so incomplete, buhuhu",
they were my favorite characters ... yes! those 3!
Sakurai hates the fans!".

-The Ice Climbers will not return as DLC ... and that's awesome.

I'll admit I used to whine about Wolf a lot myself. Outside of the occasional Melee Falco, Wolf was the only Star Fox character I liked playing and my only consistent top main in Brawl, but on the other hand I pretty much knew from the beginning he wasn't gonna return due to Falco's seniority. When you're forced to switch mains twice due to them not returning (especially when I had zero interest in the Sm4sh newcomers outside of Robin) you tend to get salty. (this was before I knew Mewtwo was coming back, of course)

However I don't think his exclusion "ruined" the game whatsoever, and I honestly cannot go wrong with PM Wolf. I don't care anymore since Mewtwo is returning.

blue_flavored

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blueflavored
Bruh, this is a place for unpopular opinions, what you typed are demands.
Fair enough, let me rephrase it. Rob is a terrible character and I wish they never would have brought him back. Also, Olimar is a waste of space.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
I use alternate colors for all my characters specifically because I don't consider myself to be able to master any one of them until I feel "worthy" of using the original instead of merely liking that color skin.

Link is probably my best example of this: I don't see myself as a Hero of Time and thus I feel I'm not ready to don the Hero's green clothes. I use Red, Skyloft, Dark, literally every single other alternate color of Link because I'm still in training with him ever since the 64 and Melee days. Once I do eventually play him to the best of my ability is when I'll finally stick to his original color and really be considered a hero.

Yeah it's probably not something a lot of people think about but I'm just like that to everyone I use. Mario's the sole exception because I've always been using him in every single game and I can't fathom using any other color than his default.

Storm Erion

Smash Cadet
I use alternate colors for all my characters specifically because I don't consider myself to be able to master any one of them until I feel "worthy" of using the original instead of merely liking that color skin.

Link is probably my best example of this: I don't see myself as a Hero of Time and thus I feel I'm not ready to don the Hero's green clothes. I use Red, Skyloft, Dark, literally every single other alternate color of Link because I'm still in training with him ever since the 64 and Melee days. Once I do eventually play him to the best of my ability is when I'll finally stick to his original color and really be considered a hero.

Yeah it's probably not something a lot of people think about but I'm just like that to everyone I use. Mario's the sole exception because I've always been using him in every single game and I can't fathom using any other color than his default.
I'm the same way with Link in the sense that I usually don't use his green costume. Although it really bothers me how the color of his shield changes based on the color, so I always go with the blue tunic since it makes his shield look the most similar to the original.

misterbreadcrum

Smash Cadet
NNID
Misterbreadcrum
Fair enough, let me rephrase it. Rob is a terrible character and I wish they never would have brought him back. Also, Olimar is a waste of space.
My unpopular Smash 4 opinion is that there are people who are so ignorant of other player's feelings towards characters like this. Sure you may dislike that character, but a lot of people actually main him and would be heartbroken if he didn't make it back in.

You obviously didn't lose any mains from previous iterations, otherwise, you'd never wish that kind of thing on any other Smash player.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
My unpopular Smash 4 opinion is that there are people who are so ignorant of other player's feelings towards characters like this. Sure you may dislike that character, but a lot of people actually main him and would be heartbroken if he didn't make it back in.

You obviously didn't lose any mains from previous iterations, otherwise, you'd never wish that kind of thing on any other Smash player.
I agree with you 99%!
That last percent is lost due to how much I despise :4jigglypuff:.
:denzel:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom