• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
I don't like Rosalina and Luma. Just the character's moves and stuff not the gameplay. (Although that's another topic) I never played Super Mario Galaxy so I don't know what she is like in that game, but Smash does a terrible job at making me want to. She's too bland, her moves are awkward and make little to no sense, only Luma really make any sense. I think the one that makes me most confused is the dash attack, she just moves her head forward and in like a Swimming? motion moves it up. It makes very little sense to me as an attack and as a representation of her character.

Her redeeming feature is her taunts, which have some character to it, Save for the spinning one.
Like Ice Climbers but Nana gets revived every 15 seconds
- IGN

And Ice Climbers are OP

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
:4miisword: Is better than people think he is.

Still pretty lackluster though.

blue_flavored

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blueflavored
I think Little Mac is one of if not the worst character to ever be added to a Smash Bros game. I pray to the smash gods that if there is another smash bros game in like 7 years he does not return.

For Rosalina I think they should boost the HP of the Luma by a lot but make it to where it either takes a full minute for it to respawn or just make like the Ice Climbers (I miss them so much) and it won't respawn until Rosalina dies.

Smash 4 relies waaaay to much on projectiles and it kills some of the fun aspects of 1v1. Yet beating people who spam all the time (I'm looking at you Toon Link users) is extremely satisfieing.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I think Little Mac is one of if not the worst character to ever be added to a Smash Bros game. I pray to the smash gods that if there is another smash bros game in like 7 years he does not return.

For Rosalina I think they should boost the HP of the Luma by a lot but make it to where it either takes a full minute for it to respawn or just make like the Ice Climbers (I miss them so much) and it won't respawn until Rosalina dies.

Smash 4 relies waaaay to much on projectiles and it kills some of the fun aspects of 1v1. Yet beating people who spam all the time (I'm looking at you Toon Link users) is extremely satisfieing.
And may I ask why he is the worst addition?

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
Double Posts merged
I think I dislike :4falco:'s voice more then :4fox:'s voice in Smash 4. It's probably an internal reaction to how good :falco:'s voice was.
I thought Falco's Brawl voice was awesome. He sounded so tough and intimidating, not to mention his accent which made it a thousand times better *o* ...

Now Falco sounds like some generic 20 year old dude..

Remember, it's an opinion..

Last edited by a moderator:

blue_flavored

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blueflavored
IMO he is the ultimate beginners character. Now before I continue I'm not saying just because you use him you're not skilled. He has no air game, something beginners won't look to use. He has super armor on his up and over smash, which have a lot of knockback so you have to be extremely careful if you're going to challenge them. He's the 3rd fastest in the game (correct me if I'm wrong) and his rolls are extremely quick. Almost all of his attacks kill, not to mention he has a counter. Unless you're actually skilled with him during 1v1 it's an easy grab, throw off stage and gimp him but that's about the only time it's easy. 2v2 and free for all can be easy if you're Mac whether you're experienced or not.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I thought Falco's Brawl voice was awesome. He sounded so tough and intimidating, not to mention his accent which made it a thousand times better *o* ...

Now Falco sounds like some generic 20 year old dude..

Remember, it's an opinion..
Yes I know that, I would just like to know why he thinks that sir >_>
Good Grief.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I'm sorry, you must be lost. Allow me to redirect you to the title of this thread...
....Ok, so what?
I wasn't bashing him for his opinion or anything. Literally just wanted to know why, that is all lol. If he thinks Mac is the worst addition to Smash bros, that's fine, k bruh?

Plz calm down yo.... such :shaker:

Last edited:

blue_flavored

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blueflavored
....Ok, so what?
I wasn't bashing him for his opinion or anything. Literally just wanted to know why, that is all lol. If he thinks Mac is the worst addition to Smash bros, that's fine, k bruh?

Plz calm down yo.... such :shaker:
I figured someone would ask me why I think he's the worst. I don't mind at all.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
This kinda applies to all smash games, not just smash 4 but I'll put it here anyway: I feel that as a community we should ditch Apex, it's toxic and keeps bringing bad publicity, it's pretty much always run incompetently and the owners seem to be scummy. It's not like we can't replace it with another major or anything. It's a terrible reflection on the community that our largest tourney is run like this, so I think it's high time it goes.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
One thing that really bothers me about the game (aside from the removal of wavedashing, lcancels, and infinite air dodges of course): The Rage Effect, rewarding players for getting their butts kicked and getting a bigger chance of a comeback than needed. Not quite as bad as the X Factor in UMVC3, but I'm beginning to despise this mechanic right now. At the very least, if there's any one character who definitely did not need it, its :4lucario:.

It does gve heavies a better chance of winning though, I'll give it that.

Smoking_Hot_BBQ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cvl257
3DS FC
4098-4726-7823
This applies to all smash games as a whole, but I'll say it anyways. I don't think people should be given a hard time for playing god tier characters competitively (Diddy Kong but this also applies to Metaknight in Brawl and Fox in Melee), if they have a valid reason for not just using them as a crutch. Especially considering that those characters, at least in my opinion, are all fun to watch. I think that people should consider why a smasher is playing a god tier character instead of immediately labeling it as that they're not good enough.

TigerBizNiz

Smash Apprentice
One thing that really bothers me about the game (aside from the removal of wavedashing, lcancels, and infinite air dodges of course): The Rage Effect, rewarding players for getting their butts kicked and getting a bigger chance of a comeback than needed.
I definitely agree! I also like to add (and this is just me personally):
- Getting pushed back by using jab combos
- No more chain grabbing
- No more edge hogging
- Oh and not to mention RAGE EFFECT!!! (yes, that needed to be re mentioned)

One of the main reasons I insist on continue playing Smash 4 is :4villager:. He's such fun character to play as!

Oh and I can't be only one here who absolutely HATES the classic mode! I miss the classic mode format from Smash 64 and Melee.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
He has every right to ask why.

That was never prohibited.
See, that's just it though, people shouldn't have to worry about, much less expect for their unpopular opinion to be challenged or questioned on a thread that's literally designed for people to be able to express their unpopular opinion without it being challenged or questioned, unless this is suddenly just "The Opinion Thread."

n8han11

Smash Journeyman
I definitely agree! I also like to add (and this is just me personally):
- Getting pushed back by using jab combos
- No more chain grabbing
- No more edge hogging
- Oh and not to mention RAGE EFFECT!!! (yes, that needed to be re mentioned)

One of the main reasons I insist on continue playing Smash 4 is :4villager:. He's such fun character to play as!

Oh and I can't be only one here who absolutely HATES the classic mode! I miss the classic mode format from Smash 64 and Melee.
Except chain grabbing and edge hogging aren't even in Smash 4. Just letting you know.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Except chain grabbing and edge hogging aren't even in Smash 4. Just letting you know.
You might wwanna reread what he just said, the absence of those things are exactly what he's mad about. He wasn't saying they should be taken out, he's bothered that they aren't in the game, like I am bothered with the rage effect.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
See, that's just it though, people shouldn't have to worry about, much less expect for their unpopular opinion to be challenged or questioned on a thread that's literally designed for people to be able to express their unpopular opinion without it being challenged or questioned, unless this is suddenly just "The Opinion Thread."
"Why do you think that?" Is hardly a challenge. In face, polite questions like that promote understanding. "Why?" Isn't a debate starter unless pursued after.

You are literally the first person to express concern over this. Calm down. You're more hurt than the guy you're defending was.

Lorenzo The Comic

Smash Journeyman
some place pronounced like a Pokémon Website
NNID
OutboundKid
Probably my absolute least favorite change would be the removal of edge hogging, and I feel that this change was meant to either prolong the match or favor the recovering character. I'm trying to main a Sm4sh newcomer, namely Villager but some characters (especially those without any projectiles) give me a harder time unless I'm using a different character like Luigi, Pikachu or Kirby.

D

Deleted member

-I like male Robin more than female Robin. I understand her appeal, but it's a shame the male variant doesn't get as much love as the female variant.

-I am completely OK with edge-hogging being removed in Smash 4 and I am gladly accepting the new ledge mechanics. I hated, absolutely hated the fact that I would die because I am helpless and someone grabs the ledge to prevent my recovery.

Jords2Good

Smash Journeyman
I fought nairo on stream and im salty as **** that I didn't save the replays. I only saved one. I acutally did pretty good against him. of course I went sonic lol

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Screw you all, I joined Smashboards to Little Mac. And so what if he's beginner's character, 99% of people will find that he sucks and move on. People here have no patience

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759

Now Falco sounds like some generic 20 year old dude.
Probably because the guy who was voicing Falco in Brawl was trying to mimic Falco's respective VA from Assault. (The brooklyn accent)
While the VA for Falco in Smash 4 is the same one in the 64 remake who was also trying to mimic the original respective 64 VA.
Basically, there been a trend to whatevers the most recent Star Fox game.

Now, for my UO... I sorta dislike Ike smash quotes. Bothers me because most probably know him more from his smash quotes rather then for what he is in his games.
I'm also seeing this happen with Shulk as well.

Last edited:

TechMoogle

Smash Rookie
I don’t wish to bash on Little Mac as I bear no hatred towards the character. However, I must admit I find he lacks a proper place in this game. He was given an exceptionally good ground game to counterbalance his poor recovery and aerial options. However, these weaknesses have been found to be heavily exploitable making him arguably worthless competitively. In a casual environment he becomes incredibly annoying to beginners because his character traits directly contradict their native instincts. Little Mac perceived position as an overpowered character is a result of these new players being unfamiliar with how to handle him. It’s difficult to resolve how to deal with his abilities: smash attacks with armor, an incredibly fast roll, and a one-hit knockout punch. They’re not usually things a new player would understand how to deal with, which results in a seemingly unfair fight.

Little Mac is an odd character that I don’t quite feel properly fits within the game outside of intermediate play. I personally see this as an issue, although I can easily understand why other would not. Most people are not playing as beginners nor are they professionals. They are somewhere in the middle which is perhaps where the character fits best. Still I would like to see the character updated in the future to be more viable overall. He is admittedly problematic, but not to any great extent. Certainly, the character isn’t worthy of any genuine hate.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
-I like male Robin more than female Robin. I understand her appeal, but it's a shame the male variant doesn't get as much love as the female variant.
That's not really true. The male Robin is the "main" Robin in Smash 4, and the only version to get an amiibo.
The majority of male players use male Robin.
The only reason it seems as though female Robin is more popular is the fans she does have are adamant about her.

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
1) I seriously dislike how the metagame for Smash4 is evolving.
This BnB follow-up's after grabs, usually with DThrow ->Fair/Bair/Uair, just... I don't think it's funny.
It looks more competitive because of the speed and being less floaty, but the truth is that Smash4 is a game SO EASY to play at a decent level.

2) I would give away 2 newcomers (Pacman and L.Mac) for the old ledge mechanics.

3) Villager is my favorite newcomer, and the only one I seriously like to play.

4) I don't think that should be possible to kill someone with throws... Even in walk-off stages.

5) I love 2 of the walk-off stages in Smash U, Coliseum and Wii Fit Studios.
I even think that walk-off should be a thing in counterpicks and I'm sad with this 2 good stages (and Wuhu Island and Sklyloft too) being not used in competitive Smash.

6) Sakurai giving me 3 stages (Frigate Orpheon (Brawl), Dream Land(64), Fountain of Dreams(Melee)) and a DK character, and I will try hard to forget every minor error about this game.I mean...seriously

Last edited:

Hellzsaint

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hellzsaint
3DS FC
0087-2525-0130
One thing that really bothers me about the game (aside from the removal of wavedashing, lcancels, and infinite air dodges of course): The Rage Effect, rewarding players for getting their butts kicked and getting a bigger chance of a comeback than needed. Not quite as bad as the X Factor in UMVC3, but I'm beginning to despise this mechanic right now. At the very least, if there's any one character who definitely did not need it, its :4lucario:.

It does gve heavies a better chance of winning though, I'll give it that.
I kinda like it, since it punishes players who take too long at knocking out their foe.
In it's own way it encourages the misuse of killing moves via staling and other things.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

• Out of the three third party characters in Smash 4, Sonic has the lowest chance of returning in Smash 5 and a very slim one at that, which is a shame because I like the blue blur as much as the next person.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if Smash 4 starts growing on some of its detractors a few years from now.
  • Out of all of the newcomers, Shulk's inclusion was the most deserving. He's a character from a fairly recent IP from Nintendo (GASP!) that, as I stated in a previous post, could use all of the exposure it can get.
  • The 3DS version should have featured a different Xenoblade stage. Gaur Plain without Metal Face is just bland.

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
  • Out of the three third party characters in Smash 4, Sonic has the lowest chance of returning in Smash 5 and a very slim one at that, which is a shame because I like the blue blur as much as the next person.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if Smash 4 starts growing on some of its detractors a few years from now.
  • Out of all of the newcomers, Shulk's inclusion was the most deserving. He's a character from a fairly recent IP from Nintendo (GASP!) that, as I stated in a previous post, could use all of the exposure it can get.
  • The 3DS version should have featured a different Xenoblade stage. Gaur Plain without Metal Face is just bland.
If Sega doesn't release something good in the next 5 years, yeah, Sonic will be sent to the shadow realm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom