• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Storm Erion

Smash Cadet
My unpopular Smash 4 opinion is that there are people who are so ignorant of other player's feelings towards characters like this. Sure you may dislike that character, but a lot of people actually main him and would be heartbroken if he didn't make it back in.

You obviously didn't lose any mains from previous iterations, otherwise, you'd never wish that kind of thing on any other Smash player.
Just because someone doesn't want X character in the game doesn't mean that they're ignorant to other's feelings. It's just their opinion. It's kind of harsh to assume that.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
I hate how competitive players see beloved Nintendo characters simply as hitboxes, frame data, combo potential, movesets, and don't actually care for the character's place in Nintendo's history at all.

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
I hate how competitive players see beloved Nintendo characters simply as hitboxes, frame data, combo potential, movesets, and don't actually care for the character's place in Nintendo's history at all.
I hate how fanboys want us to play characters they love from " masterpieces " just to satisfy their selfish mind.
What if i just want a competitive game before Super Smash Bros? Is that a waste? No it isn't.
( No offense huh )

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I think everyone is asking for too many patches, They just want to patch away their problems instead of trying to get better first.
I like Jigglypuff over Mewtwo.
I hate how fanboys want us to play characters they love from " masterpieces " just to satisfy their selfish mind.
What if i just want a competitive game before Super Smash Bros? Is that a waste? No it isn't.
( No offense huh )
Don't attack someone over their opinion , Please follow the rules of this thread and ignore it, thank you.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Unpopular opinion: If I had a dollar for every time I died as Little Mac on Master Hand, I might be a millionaire. (No offense to any Little Mac users who read this post)

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
Unpopular opinion: If I had a dollar for every time I died as Little Mac on Master Hand, I might be a millionaire. (No offense to any Little Mac users who read this post)
So... is your opinion Little Mac's recovery is terrible? Because that's kinda well known and accepted... not to mention it's more of a fact...

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
I think everyone is asking for too many patches, They just want to patch away their problems instead of trying to get better first.
I like Jigglypuff over Mewtwo.

Don't attack someone over their opinion , Please follow the rules of this thread and ignore it, thank you.
Oh, sorry
Anyway, on another subject, i think Pac Man is the only interesting 3rd party character.

Smoking_Hot_BBQ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cvl257
3DS FC
4098-4726-7823
1. Ridley IS too damn big.
2. It's better to have lucina instead of chrom. Give the game more diversity, y'know?
3. If we have dlc post mewtwo, I'd rather see the cut characters from brawl and melee before any more newcomers, because they were originally intended to be put back in (right)?
4. Can we have more characters from underepresented franchises, instead of mario/zelda? I'd like to see f-zero, metroid, and animal crossing get more rep before we even think about waluigi.
5. Why is falcon punch so meme-worthy if warlock punch is even more powerful?
6. I have no problem with ZSS bikini skins. It's FAN SERVICE guys, c'mon.
7. The gamecube controller can easily be replaced by the pro controller or even the gamepad. And that's before you realize the mayflash version exists.
8. I actually like temple, especially in 8-player smash.
9. Why does lucario even have his movie voice? He barely says anything and he could easily just say his regular name.
9. For Fun is more enjoyable than For Glory due to the sheer insanity that unfolds in it.
10. People need to stop letting tier lists teach them how to think. We need to let the metagame develop and realize it applies mostly to those who play at a high competitive level.
11. Competitively, smash 4 needs hype to survive, not speed or wavedashing or anything like that. Hype is what draws people in, and keeps them coming back.
12. Why doesn't the soundtrack offer include any mega man songs? Disappointing.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
So... is your opinion Little Mac's recovery is terrible? Because that's kinda well known and accepted... not to mention it's more of a fact...
No, I'm just not very good with Little Mac. The recovery is part of why I keep dying, but its more about the wind attack Master Hand does sometimes that pushes me off the stage a lot.

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
No, I'm just not very good with Little Mac. The recovery is part of why I keep dying, but its more about the wind attack Master Hand does sometimes that pushes me off the stage a lot.
Still confused about how this relates to this thread

2. It's better to have lucina instead of chrom. Give the game more diversity, y'know?
What exactly do you mean by diversity? Lest we forget, Lucina is a clone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
  • I don't like:4ness:. In fact, I feel like he's the easiest character in the game and just about anyone who's played the game for more than a few hours could get the hang of him almost instantly.
  • Edge-hogging is a really boring and lame way to get a stock off of someone and I'm glad it's gone. I mean, which scenario is more interesting, an expert read leading to a hype F-smash KO, or someone lazily hanging off the ledge and watching the opponent slowly fall down? It's just a really anti-hype way to end a stock.
  • I think Pac-Land is an interesting stage with good aesthetics. If anything, it at least has Mushroomy Kingdom beat.
  • I liked Poke Floats, Brinstar Depths, and Spear Pillar. They at least looked interesting, maybe moreso in HD? *hint*
  • I hate how there are more community guides for "top-tier" characters than for the unpopular characters. Seriously, what is Ness doing with 10+ guides?!

Last edited:

misterbreadcrum

Smash Cadet
NNID
Misterbreadcrum
My unpopular opinion: Sheik is not top tier. I think the thing that makes Diddy so good is that if you play as Diddy against some one who is faster and more experienced than you but happens to be playing a lower tier character, you can still pretty easily clutch out a win.

I don't think this is the case for Sheik. A more experience player can and will read all of your kill moves and beat you by attrition, if not straight up 2-3 stock you. I'd put her in like an A- tier at best and feel she probably deserves a solid B, whereas some one like Pikachu has a much much easier time getting the confirmation off of their opponent.

I played her a LOT in Melee, but after a few months of calling her my 'main' I realized I just didn't like her anymore. The 2 doesn't kill like it should, and post-balance patch, she hardly kills with anything at all. I think after a few years we'll see her really fall in the tier list.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I played her a LOT in Melee, but after a few months of calling her my 'main' I realized I just didn't like her anymore. The 2 doesn't kill like it should, and post-balance patch, she hardly kills with anything at all. I think after a few years we'll see her really fall in the tier list.
I've kinda been thinking the same thing (though I also think this about Diddy). Ironically though, I rarely do well as Sheik on Wii U, but I do awesome with her on 3DS.

misterbreadcrum

Smash Cadet
NNID
Misterbreadcrum
The thing is that I always do OK with her, but never fantastic. I'm not a pro player of course, but I do fancy myself to be at least good. I find that I do a lot better with a wide range of characters like :4ness::4fox::4pikachu::4rob::4wario2:than I do with her. Anyway, that's my opinion - that she's not as good as everyone seems to think she is.

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
  • I don't like:4ness:. In fact, I feel like he's the easiest character in the game and just about anyone who's played the game for more than a few hours could get the hang of him almost instantly. (and don't even try to tell me this is a "popular" opinion.)
  • Edge-hogging is a really boring, lame, and lazy way to get a stock off of someone and I'm glad it's gone. I mean, which scenario is more interesting, an expert read leading to a hype F-smash KO, or someone lazily hanging off the ledge and watching the opponent slowly fall down?
  • I think Pac-Land is an interesting stage with good aesthetics. If anything, it at least has Mushroomy Kingdom beat.
  • I liked Poke Floats, Brinstar Depths, and Spear Pillar. They at least looked interesting, maybe moreso in HD? *hint*
  • I hate how there are more community guides for "top-tier" characters than for the unpopular characters. Seriously, what is Ness doing with 10+ guides?!
Why so casual?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
It's been a while since the staff have refreshed people on the rules here, but better late than never:

Welcome to the remake of one of the more POPULAR Smash 4 discussion threads! ;)

Due to the volatile nature of the boards recently I've decided to remake this thread but with a clearer and stricter rule set in place to help avoid confusion and promote civil discussion. Keep in mind that moderators will be keeping a sharp eye in here and those who choose to ignore the rules will be handed out warnings/infractions accordingly.

RULES:
1) No criticizing another poster's opinions (both directly and indirectly). When you come across an opinion you don't agree with either ignore it, address it in another thread, or take it to PMs.
2) No engaging other posters in debate especially if it's likely to derail the thread or promote flaming/trolling.
3) Opinions that are intentionally made to flame/troll other posters are not allowed. Example: "Anyone who likes Mario is stupid."
4) Posts that have nothing to do with Smash 4 WiiU/3DS will be treated as spam. Keep in mind this includes unnecessary one liners as well as picture and gif responses. Example: "Super Mario 64 is the best game ever."
5) This is a less severe issue but try to post opinions that are actually unpopular. There's obviously a lot of grey area in terms of what constitutes as popular or not, but if you see the same opinion being posted repeatedly chances are it's not as unpopular as you think. Example: "Mario's mustache is awesome."

If you catch anyone breaking any of these rules please DO NOT RESPOND TO IT. Instead just hit the "report" button and a moderator will deal with the issue as soon as possible. This would be a huge help in terms of keeping this thread clean and civil. :)
tl;dr version/what to take from this:

-This isn't the place to argue or criticize people. If someone has an opinion you disagree with, either suck it up or PM them about it.
-Opinions that are intentionally/obviously going to upset a specific group of people aren't allowed. As is replying to these.
-Peace, tolerance and understanding and all that ****. Don't like it? Don't post here.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
:4falco: still has potential of being good in this game. His customs prove so.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
9. Why does lucario even have his movie voice? He barely says anything and he could easily just shout generic grunts.
ftfy

In all seriousness, I dislike how most Pokémon say their names and nothing else. I find this to be dumb, and I definitely don't want Smash Lucario to do this.

- Speaking about Pokémon, I'd like for the next gen Smash to not feature any Pokémon newcomer. We don't need a new character whose main justification for the inclusion is to have a playable rep for the most recent generation.
- I hate the pink-haired female Villager alt. I think it looks very ugly and not cute at all. *raise flame shield*

Last edited:

DipperPines18

Smash Rookie
I like Diddy Kong
PAC Land is one of my favorite stages
Dark Pit is fine. Original, no. Not at all, but Since Pit is my main, it's fine to have 2 of him
I Hate Falco
I Hate Playing as Shulk, Olimar, Palutena, WFT, Little Mac and Peach.
Meta Knight is not as OP as everyone says,
Bowser Jr. Was Dissapointing
I never wanted ROSALINA in the game. She's better than I expected
Kirby is fun to play as and fight.
Kongo Jungle 64 is one of my favorite stages as well.
I never customize my characters besides Amiibo because I find it useless.
I'm fine with more Pokemon.
I didn't really care that Lucas, Ice Climbers, Wolf, and Snake didn't make it back. I Didn't much care for them
Zelda Characters need to stop being Assist Trophies and make them ACTUAL CHARACTERS. GIRAHIM MIDNA SKULL KID.
Greninja was Dissapointing.
Sonics Alt Colors Improved is SM4SH
The DK character I want in Smash is Dixie and Cranky. I don't really care if k. Rool gets in.
I've made my point.
EDIT: Nintendo Misadvertized Amiibo BIG TIME. MY PIT DOSENT PLAY LIKE ME AT ALL.
People online who Constantly play Little Mac and Zero Suit Samus are Annoying as Hell

Last edited:

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
I used to love playing link. Now I hate him. what happened?

I played against another link.

Its like a damn hail storm of projectiles.

At this point i just self destruct if the other player is playing a link.

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
I think I dislike :4falco:'s voice more then :4fox:'s voice in Smash 4. It's probably an internal reaction to how good :falco:'s voice was.

Last edited:

KaBlamJamDan

Smash Ace
NNID
Kablamjamdan
3DS FC
5129-0509-8499
-I still believe Brawl is the best smash bros game in term of content and overall fun. While Smash 4 is really good, it felt like a massive game that got cut into two.

-I don't think clones are a waste of a slot nor shouldn't be remove from any Smash Bros game.

-Due to the amount of annoying Little Mac players on For Glory, I cannot take players who play him competetively seriously or I just assume they are trolling me.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
I did this a while ago, but after a couple of months I have new thoughts.

- Rosalina and Diddy are almost tied for the best and both dominate top tier.

- Sheik is overrated a LOT. Characters like Pikachu deserve a higher place than her.

- ZSS's down-b move is stupid, it's fast, no landing lag, and if you think they will perfect shield the grounding attack you can just smack them with a before you land. It's WAY too safe.

- I still think Bowser is high tier.

- Toon Link is better than Link.

- Smash 4 will never be my favourite smash game until Squirtle and Ivysaur are DLC. Until then my favourite is PM.

- Smash should be all about gimping/edge guarding, smash attacks are stupid.

- Smash 4 would be a lot better without superarmour.

- I hate Little Mac, I also think he is high tier.

- I would rather have Dark Pit and Lucina being alt costumes, but Doc is fine.

- Does anyone actually like fighting Rosalina?

- Saying "X won't be OP once the meta develops and people will learn how to counter it" is an incredibly stupid term that could be used with ANY character.

- Game and Watch's u-smash is OP and is the reason I hate fighting them.

- Meta Knight is mid at the lowest.

- Kirby is not easy to learn nor easy to master.

- Kirby is also underrated.

- I hate custom equipment AND moves. It makes it so hard to learn match-ups, plus you have to know 9x more moves and stuff.

- Fox is one of the best in the game.

misterbreadcrum

Smash Cadet
NNID
Misterbreadcrum
I did this a while ago, but after a couple of months I have new thoughts.

- Rosalina and Diddy are almost tied for the best and both dominate top tier.

- Sheik is overrated a LOT. Characters like Pikachu deserve a higher place than her.

- ZSS's down-b move is stupid, it's fast, no landing lag, and if you think they will perfect shield the grounding attack you can just smack them with a before you land. It's WAY too safe.

- I still think Bowser is high tier.

- Toon Link is better than Link.

- Smash 4 will never be my favourite smash game until Squirtle and Ivysaur are DLC. Until then my favourite is PM.

- Smash should be all about gimping/edge guarding, smash attacks are stupid.

- Smash 4 would be a lot better without superarmour.

- I hate Little Mac, I also think he is high tier.

- I would rather have Dark Pit and Lucina being alt costumes, but Doc is fine.

- Does anyone actually like fighting Rosalina?

- Saying "X won't be OP once the meta develops and people will learn how to counter it" is an incredibly stupid term that could be used with ANY character.

- Game and Watch's u-smash is OP and is the reason I hate fighting them.

- Meta Knight is mid at the lowest.

- Kirby is not easy to learn nor easy to master.

- Kirby is also underrated.

- I hate custom equipment AND moves. It makes it so hard to learn match-ups, plus you have to know 9x more moves and stuff.

- Fox is one of the best in the game.

Kirby is pretty underrated, and also rather difficult. I've have some really good matches against practiced Kirbys and usually can't beat the better ones unless I play someone like Ness. I agree entirely about Sheik, but if you play a really well practiced Luigi, it's just about as good as G&W's u-smash - you just basically don't want to contest your landing.

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
I hate Zero Suit Samus. I hate that she overshadows her counterpart in popularity and strength. She was already one of the better characters in Brawl and Sakurai felt she needed to be buffed? Also get the feeling Samus' boobs are more popular than her own franchise because of the Zero Suit's exposure in Smash :V

I've always wanted Metroid to get more attention but not like this :C

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I hate Zero Suit Samus. I hate that she overshadows her counterpart in popularity and strength. She was already one of the better characters in Brawl and Sakurai felt she needed to be buffed? Also get the feeling Samus' boobs are more popular than her own franchise because of the Zero Suit's exposure in Smash :V

It's even worse when you realize ZSS's only major appearance was as an extra thing in Zero Mission and was intentionally weaker than Power Suit

If they were so adamant about not having Ridley, they should've just put in one of the hunters lol

but I personally don't think Power Suit Samus is that bad except in Brawl, but ZSS has way safer options

D

Deleted member

Speaking of which, I wouldn't be surprised if the popularity of Shulk's "I'm really feeling it!" and "Now it's Shulk time!" taunts surpass those of the upcoming Xenoblade Chronicles 3D and Xenoblade Chronicles X.

The Xenoblade series deserves all of the exposure it can get, but not as a fountain of memes. :C

Cazdon

Smash Ace
NNID
Cazdon
3DS FC
4355-9882-5183
I don't like Rosalina and Luma. Just the character's moves and stuff not the gameplay. (Although that's another topic) I never played Super Mario Galaxy so I don't know what she is like in that game, but Smash does a terrible job at making me want to. She's too bland, her moves are awkward and make little to no sense, only Luma really make any sense. I think the one that makes me most confused is the dash attack, she just moves her head forward and in like a Swimming? motion moves it up. It makes very little sense to me as an attack and as a representation of her character.

Her redeeming feature is her taunts, which have some character to it, Save for the spinning one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom