• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
  • K. Rool is not a shoo-in. Ridley is not a shoo-in. Mewtwo is not a ****ing shoo-in. There are no shoo-ins.

• The delusional blind faith in the "big 3" still appearing makes me sick to my stomach. The roster's been leaked with maybe five total spots left and we're clinging on to to hope that a handful of popular individuals make it again. Maybe Sakurai will add one of them if you're really lucky, but to think all three have a shot?

Weedy Spyze

Smash Apprentice
I didn't want Bowser Jr. in the game at all, until I saw the Koopa Clown Car footage. Now, I can't wait to try him out. The reason I was a bit put-off by his potential inclusion is because I saw nothing interesting about the popularly-proposed "paintbrush" moveset. The mech idea is much more interesting and more fitting to his character if you think about it. Bit of a random comment, but it reminds me of the Light type vs. Fairy type arguments I saw all over the place during the X/Y pre-release days. It's much better when developers come up with something interesting that nobody predicted, than something that everyone and their grandmother thought up. All that being said, I'm more stoked about the Koopalings than anything else. As someone who grew up playing Super Mario World, I loved seeing them in Mario Kart and the Smash Bros. inclusion is something I never thought would happen. Lemmy Koopa main. <3

Lucas and Ice Climbers were two of my most used characters in Brawl. It would be a punch in the gut if they don't get in, while Dark Pit and Duck Hunt Dog did. I'm mostly content with the roster, but every time there's a handful of characters that serve as punching bags and nothing more in my game and DHD will be that in Smash 4. I saw a rumor that he and Dr. Mario were shopped into the roster leak to throw people off, which is more than likely bull, but I hope that part ends up being true.

I'm fine with Lucina and all, but if we needed a Marth clone I'd rather Roy had returned. I actually don't mind there being so many Fire Emblem characters. There's a lot of potential for some interesting fighters from the franchise, which in my opinion is more important than adding filler for franchises that "deserve" playable representation more. We don't need another Yoshi or F-Zero character.

I'm not a hardcore Ridley supporter, but I'm hoping he gets in. Can't say that same for Mewtwo or K. Rool. For a DK character, I'd rather have Dixie, and I've always felt Mewtwo was overrated, in the Pokemon games and especially in Melee. He was no fun to play as, so if he does return I hope he gets reworked.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
  • I feel that people who say the roster sucks just because their favorite character didn't get in shouldn't get the game in the first place.
  • People who don't respect Sakurai's decisions annoy me. They should be grateful that he's made another game.
  • Clones don't really bother me.
  • Too much KI representation? I don't really care as long the game is good.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Clones are not evil.
Dark Pit's not a bad guy? :o

----------------

-Tingle being played regardless of his AT status is now possible(DLC or otherwise)
-This pretty much confirms Ridley for me as playable, regardless of whether he's an NPC or not(and it doesn't have to be a different version of him either like speculated. Riki, you are indeed awesome~)
-I could actually see Sakurai making some current playable Pokemon do a Poke Ball role(assuming they aren't currently playable) as a joke now. Charizard most specifically. Even a funny one in Mewtwo(and then it's confirmed playable too).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Actually, no, he isn't. He starts out as a kind of antagonist but isn't joined with the other antagonists and he eventually becomes a anti-hero in the game, and even playable for a single chapter.
Not many people know that, so many will count him among the villains. Never played the game, I just know he wasn't a direct hero by default. But thanks for the information. :)

Dracandros

Smash Cadet
I can't put my finger on why, but over the past few days, I've felt a strong feeling of disgust over this game. I'm just not looking forward to it at all right now and it's not because of the clones or anything like that.

I think when I look back at everything it makes me feel like getting hyped for this game wasn't worth it. I don't even know when I will truly and happily want to play either copy of this game without reservation or afterthought. Something is just really wrong.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
  • I feel that people who say the roster sucks just because their favorite character didn't get in shouldn't get the game in the first place.
  • People who don't respect Sakurai's decisions annoy me. They should be grateful that he's made another game.
  • Clones don't really bother me.
  • Too much KI representation? I don't really care as long the game is good.
You're the first person that is thinking so much the same with me.

I could elaborate a lot more, but it's nice to see I'm not alone.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I don't mind how we keep getting the E3 demo at every event. Yeah, I'd love a new one, but I'm completely fine playing the E3 build over and over again. It's still ridiculously fun, and I could probably play that demo for days without getting bored. Sure, we don't get to learn anything new about the gameplay, but the game's coming out very soon, and we'll know everything we need to get started advancing the gameplay as soon as it launches.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Shulk and Palutena had the most underwhelming trailers because there was hardly any build up and pretty much gave away what character they were going to show off in the beginning. If I were to rank the current trailers (because I think there's still 1 or 2 more that will be shown after the 3DS release) from best to worst:

1. :4falcon::4lucina::4robinm:
2. :4megaman:
3. :4charizard::4greninja:
4. :4littlemac:
5. :4wiifit:
6. :4pacman:
7. :4mii:
8. :4bowser::4dk::4fox::4kirby::4link::4mario::4pikachu::4pit::4samus: :4villager:
9. :4shulk:
10. :4palutena:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I don't want to see the Chorus Men in the game in any way, shape, or form. If there's a Rhythm Heaven stage, whatever, but if we're not getting Ice Climbers, then the Chorus Men aren't welcome in Smash Bros. if it's another character from that series, I still would actively be against it whether it be Joe, Marshal, the girl, or whoever, just please no.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I don't want Smash 4 to be anything like Melee, so the posts about the game having L-cancelling and stuff like that scares me :(

Edit: So let me elaborate this post a bit more.

- Out of all rumored character to have been cut, Ice Climbers are the only one I am sad about. They are totally irrelevant outside Smash
- There is no such thing as "big 3". As a Ridley supporter, I am embarrassed every time someone brings this term up
- I am perfectly fine with the roster as it is now
- Clones are okay in my book. They don't take a lot of work to be developed, so I don't get why people hate them so much
- If you were developing the game, chances are you would be "biased" like Sakurai supposedly is
- While I never played Kid Icarus Uprising, the game oozes charm, so I am okay with Smash having tons of Uprising content
- The only character I am truly against getting in is Bandana Dee, but I have to admit it have potential for an unique moveset
- You are delusional if you think Smash Wii U is the "main" Smash 4 title (aka the one getting more priority)
- I am glad Dr. Mario is back
- Again, I am really hoping Smash 4 doesn't have annoying stuff like wavedashing, L-cancelling, etc

Last edited:

MioTinto

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-2162-7019
- I will probably be really sad if Jiggs doesn't get a buff.
- Waluigi should be in the game, whereas Ridley gets deconfirmed 5ever.
- I don't see why characters from the original 12 would ever get cut.
- Something that I'd really like in the game is less startling "challenger approaching" screens. Now, this may be because I haven't really encountered one unprepared since elementary school, but they felt a lot like jumpscares to me... especially in Melee, with the swirling vortex of doom in the background. It was simple, yet effective nightmare fuel to a mousy little kid such as myself.

Samuel Intrater

Smash Apprentice
  • I think having 48 characters with 3 of them being clones is better than having 45 characters with no clones. The more characters the better, if you ask me.
  • I think Duck Hunt is a great choice, considering how significant and popular that game was to Nintendo's history, even though I have no idea how he'll play.
  • I didn't think Kid Icarus had too much representation until Dark Pit was leaked, which was the point where I decided they'd gone overboard.
  • I think Jigglypuff should've been cut and replaced with a more current and popular Pokemon.

Morbi

Scavenger
There is not even a slim chance that Wolf was removed from the game (perhaps the slimmest of slim shady chance). I laugh at the prospect and question the competence of an individual that detracts Wolf. It is comparable to detracting Bowser or Ganondorf.

Ghoti

Smash Cadet
  • I don't care if Ridley joins Smash 4 or not. If he's in, then that's fine. And it's just as fine if he doesn't get in.
  • If Lucas is cut, I think some of his moves should be moved over to Ness.
  • I think the new ledge mechanics in Smash 4 will lead to a new ledge game for Melee.
  • I was excited to see Dr. Mario in the leak because we'll get a good Mario Mario without FLUDD.

Squishyfrog

Smash Rookie
NNID
Squishyfrog
  • I don't mind Ganondorf being a Captain Falcon clone.
  • I honestly don't understand all the love for Waluigi.
  • I'm going to enjoy Smash 4 whether it's a good competitive game or not.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I'd love it if the entire Star Fox team + Wolf were playable characters, but I think Slippy or Peppy should at least be an assist trophy even if not playable.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
-If we're going to have 4 Star Fox characters, it should Fox, Falco, Wolf, and Krystal.
-The lack of a dual-sword user is lame. There's a lot of potential in it that single sword users just don't have.
-Bowser Jr. is Peach's son :troll:

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
-If we're going to have 4 Star Fox characters, it should Fox, Falco, Wolf, and Krystal.
-The last of a dual-sword user is lame. There's a lot of potential in it that single sword users just don't have.
Apparently Pit counts as a dual wielder. Even though his weapon is more classified as a bow, people apparently consider him a sword user.

Ghoti

Smash Cadet
Apparently Pit counts as a dual wielder. Even though his weapon is more classified as a bow, people apparently consider him a sword user.
His annoying neutral A with his even more annoying side special didn't feel like much of a bow attack.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
A few moves isn't the same thing. I mean a dual-sword user that's heavily based upon it. That, and as said, tis a bow. Not truly two swords. I mean someone like Toon Ganondorf, Lloyd Irving. That type of style.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
His annoying neutral A with his even more annoying side special didn't feel like much of a bow attack.
It's a very special bow. I would consider it more as two curved knives. I dunno.
Smash 4's Upperdash Arm at least fixes half of that.
A few moves isn't the same thing. I mean a dual-sword user that's heavily based upon it. That, and as said, tis a bow. Not truly two swords. I mean someone like Toon Ganondorf, Lloyd Irving. That type of style.
Yeah that's what I said too. My vote goes to Valor Form Sora. Or I think nowadays he just dual wields whenever he feels like it.

Ghoti

Smash Cadet
It's a very special bow. I would consider it more as two curved knives. I dunno.
Smash 4's Upperdash Arm at least fixes half of that.
I do like the Upperdash Arm more because it gets rid of that annoying side special from Brawl.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I do like the Upperdash Arm more because it gets rid of that annoying side special from Brawl.
Aye. It's a lot more satisfying too. I tried it at Smash Fest. Something just felt really good about Upperdashing in mid air.

Ahem, back to unpopular opinions.
- My Big Three consist of Ice Climbers, Lucas, and Wolf. No one else matters at the moment until these three are seen in HD/3D glory!

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
-The last of a dual-sword user is lame. There's a lot of potential in it that single sword users just don't have.
Just in case what you said was in response to me, I meant Krystal would be included when I said the Star Fox team.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Just in case what you said was in response to me, I meant Krystal would be included when I said the Star Fox team.
It wasn't a response to you. I'd have quoted you or mentioned you. But you did inspire my selections slightly.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Pit's a sword user when people want to complain about there being too many sword users, and he's a Bow user when people want to complain about projectile-users, convenient.

pickle962

Smash Lord
I've already stated my displeasure for anti smash 4 hooligans/negative nancies before, so i'll go ahead get this off of my chest instead.

Ridley...is NOT, I repeat NOT going to be waiting for you when you boot up Smash 4 on your 3DS or even the Wii U version and you hop into free for all/versus mode. He's been strongly suggested to be a boss on Pryosphere ala Yellow Devil on the Mega Man stage, the boss of Find Mii on the stage of the same name, Metal Face (that's his name right?) is also suggested to be the boss of Gaur Plain (The XenoBlade stage). Hate to break to anyone who still flimsily clings to a straw of hope that he may be a playable character, but its just NOT going to happen. Think about it, the ESRB leak didn't show him or even hint that he's part of the roster and that leaks becoming more and more valid the closer we inch towards the Japanese release of the 3DS version. Also, people have been trying to claim bogus crap using the stage boss vignette of the April Nintendo Smash Bros direct as proof for their delusions like

"Oh you see that right there? Ridley's wings just move sporadically for a moment and it wasn't in a robotic fashion. See he's playable!"

or

"His shadow isn't as big as people claim it is. Ridley confirmed!"

tl;dr: People are just denying the obvious cold hard deconformation facts right in front of them. Look, it is ONE THING to be passionate about a certain fictional character having a shot at being a part of the new smash bros game's roster, but when you are completely in la-la land ignoring the facts/people suggesting evidence that he/she/it is not even remotely playable, then that's when your obsession with said character goes from cute to just a cringe worthy post that needs to be reported for being unfunny spam! Sorry not sorry! ;)

P.S While I'm on the subject, I will personally laugh good naturedly like when Ridley IS deconfirmed in the next few days. That and did I mention how glad I'm going to be when I can visit SmashBoards/Comment section of smash 4 youtube videos and NOT have to read unfunny Ridley/MewTwo jokes like "RIDLEY/MEWTWO CONFIRMED!!!!"

Last edited:

Halifax?

Smash Apprentice
NNID
WhataTreeBark
Not okay with characters cut from melee returning (:mewtwomelee::drmario::roymelee:) unless they are completely different and fleshed out. How could a character not have the potential to be in the direct sequel, yet after somehow return?

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
Chaingrabs are scathenous hellpit abominations in my eyes.
Also, I don't want IC's back. Ever.

Totally not butthurt.

Malcolmnex

Smash Apprentice
- I REAAAALLLY wish Sakurai would just confirm that Ridley is a stage hazard so this "big 3" bs can end...... mewtwo and k.rool are fine though

- i HATED bowser jr supporters but after the leak i think i just became one. LOOOL

- If ice climbers were giving trouble, just cut Nana and make Popo playable. problem solved.

- i am speechless that a small group of people still believe the leak is fake in some form.......... wow.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I've never seen a fanbase complain about their character getting in quite like the Bowser Jr's fanbase:

'Waaa. He's in the clown coptor not just exclusively using the paintbrush like we presumed.'
'Waaa. His alts are the Koopalings and he doesn't have any recolours. This makes him less special!'
'Waaa. What if me and my friends both wanna play Jr? One of us will be forced to play one of the Koopalings.'
'Waaa. The Koopalings are stealing Bowser Jr.'s spotlight.' (oh the irony, eh?)
'Waaa. People aren't enjoying Bowser Jr's confirmation in the same way I am.'

What a bunch of ingrates.

If Captain Toad got in and his outfits were alts of Goomba, Koopa Troopa, Shy Guy, etc I'd be fricking overjoyed my favourite character not only got in, but that there's so many other alts for people that aren't big Toad fans can enjoy.

More 'Waa'ing than the Waluigi fanbase.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom