• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Smash 4 speculation for the majority of people sucked baaaaaaaallllssss..
Everyone needs to improve upon themselves if they want to predict Sakurai when he's making Smash 5.
Predicting Sakurai is the most overrated and useless part of Smash speculation.

It should be about idea crafting for how gameplay mechanics, move mechanics, stage functions, and character movesets, skillsets, and playstyles work.

There are some ideas I've read or helped contribute to that top many things that the smash developers of Smash 4 will ever do.

I mean, just take a look at some of the cool stuff Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Kirby, King Dedede, Wolf, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Mewtwo, Ness, Lucas, Roy, Ike, Pit, Wario, Snake, and Sonic all do.

A lot of that stuff these characters do is better than what we've gotten in Smash 4 to this point, which proves again and again that the fans can have better ideas than the developers.

Also, the fans didn't invent random tripping, tried to make Brawl a non-competitive game, or waste over 60% of development on the SSE.

Heck, a lot of ideas in Smash are taken from fans. My idea of a back air ended up in Brawl and Smash 4. I posted it on every site. Nsider 1, Nsider 2, Smash Boards, GameFAQs, Game Trailers, Game Spot, IGN, various Nintendo fan sites, various old and now defunct Smash sites, etc.

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Pretty much this.

The game looks like it may be closer to Brawl than before. I think they might have taken "we need more horizontal DI" and added more vertical DI, which leaders to a floatier game, which honestly the extreme floatiness of Brawl was a big setback to a lot of people, myself included.

There's also of course the following potential problems:
-Tech rolling looks way faster, which means no/very few tech chases/"smash combos" off of techs potentially.

-Shields come out a lot faster.

-The game still may have momentum stopping issues like in the demo. Running may still be a commitment, when it should just be an extent of your offense.

-The slower, heavier characters are still probably going to be under-powered like with every heavyweight in the past (sans kinda sorta Dedede in Brawl and Ganondorf in Melee, and for sure Snake in Brawl), and this dynamic is hard to change in such a platforming-heavy fighter. Snake is currently the only high tier heavyweight in the past 3 smash games, and a big reason why he was a high tier was his quick mobility, good jabbing ability, projectile zoning, and his grenades being an all purpose tool.

-The fact Sakurai routinely double speaks with competitive play. He doesn't want the game to basically have anything of Melee (which has basically everything in 64), which is a shame, because a lot of that stuff wasn't remotely close to anything in Brawl.

-The removal of grab chases, super insane combos, the ledge mechanics, projectile spamming, etc. is fine, but the fact we still don't have a dedicated "quick dash" mechanic like what wavedashing and ESPECIALLY dash dancing provided us isn't cool. Without quick movement, things can somewhat easily become campy, slow, and they begin to get stale and boring. You gotta balance the hard and slow attacks with the quick jabs in order to have a fighting game (or even a fight) with real technical and strategic depth.

-Why isn't taunt cancelling in Smash 4=???

-I want it to be its' own game and a good alternative to 64 and Melee competitively, but there's no reason it can't have the same fun competitive-friendly feel of 64 and Melee while still being its' own game.

-In Smash 3DS or Smash WiiU doesn't have the stuff of making it a good competitive game (as in enjoyable, excitement, depth, and lasting appeal) like 64 and especially Melee, that's a shame. If that happens, I think unless we got a change in director we'll never get a game of that competitive caliber. It would spell the end of the people who still play 64, Melee, and/or Project M caring much about future smash games as a potential competitive game (barring mods of course).

I'm not saying that for sure will happen, but it's a realistic possibility.

Finally...

-Smash 3DS looks like a demo the same way the Tekken arcade releases are demos. I also don't think it will have anything near a complete roster compared to the Smash WiiU one. It's very clear which game has the priority.

-Hopefully they take fan feedback and gradually improve the game with time. Capcom's Street Fighter IV team and the Tekken team are great examples of this in action.
Exactly. I've noticed that characters are getting launched at more vertical angles than before, and I think this is going to lead to less exciting offstage play.

I remember reading your post in the "Having Doubts About Smash 4" thread and having hope that this could be a very interesting title in the series. I was really hopeful for a second... Now I'm just deflated at the moment. I would love for Smash 4 to succeed and have a flourishing community, but it looks like the game is repeating many of the issues Brawl had. My most wanted newcomer has possibly been confirmed by a leak, but I'm not even sure if playing as him is worth it anymore. It really is sad. I suppose I'll attempt to stay optimistic.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
- I think Wii U, gameplay-wise, will be more offense oriented than 3DS.
- I was apprehensive about Duck Hunt Dog simply because dog. But then again, he is cartoonish...
- Dark Pit equals I don't care about any other newcomer bar whatever isn't unlocked yet (Should there be one last newcomer). I can't wait to Pittoo my way through Sma-- Seriously?
- If the All-Star Mode was truly locked with the leaker's current roster, then there just may be one or a few final characters to go. Unless there's DLC.:4pacman:
- If not Snake, then there may be a fourth guest slot:
-- A: Somebody unexpected, or...
-- B: Bup K. Iss. It's anyone's game at this point, so we'll just have to wait.

W-wait! Pittoo?! I thought-- Seriously. Please stop calling me that.

...GUYS WE NEED TO BEAT MISTY REPAIR THE FOURTH WALL

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I wasn't ever a big supporter of Bowser Jr. in fact I was totally against his inclusion, until I saw him riding the clown copter!
I've always wanted a character who is constantly airborne, and since Hawlucha doesn't seem to have shot at appearing in anything other than Pokken, I'm really hyped for Clown Copter Jr.

I feel like he'll be the opposite of Lil Mac

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I actually like Bowser Jr himself and don't understand why people are angry over him or hate him as a character. He's not an amazing or particularly well-written character, and Nintendo did squander much of his potential from a writing standpoint. But as far as simple characters go, he's pretty cool to me. Even if Rosalina never got into this game, and Bowser Jr did, I never would have been angry. Especially since I like how Bowser Jr has been implemented, a lot. I may not play as him a whole lot but I will enjoy his presence.

Also the licking attack the clown car has will be useful seeing as Ghirahim isn't playable. :V

Ignoth

Smash Cadet
It really bugs me how people label characters like Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and Duck Hunt "jokes" just because they don't really like them but they're still quirky.

They put hard work into these characters and they're serious about them even though they're unorthodox fighters.
Not to mention Villager doesn't fall within 'joke' character because he's the protagonist of one of Nintendo's biggest current series.
Let me be clear here. I couldn't come up with the proper terminology at the time so I specified "joke type" characters. After a bit of researching, perhaps the more accurate term would be Fighting Clown. I've personally never thought there were such distinction between the terms and that "Joke characters" carried such a negative implication. But now I know.

I'm mainly just saying that the likes of Villager/WFT/DHD fighting is in itself a rather humorous idea. Within their own games, they aren't even fighters, so getting them to fit into Smash takes a bit of creativity. They're quite distinct from the typical fighters you see in Smash.

I'm certainly not claiming these characters took less effort to create, or are inherently bad choices.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I like that Kid Icarus has 3 characters. I questioned the Sakurai bias before but Dark Pit being a character blatantly proves it.

Dr.Mario is an amazing character and no one should be salty about him being in.

The Mario series having 7 characters is disgusting. I wanted Bowser Jr. in Brawl but now that he rides a clown car he can go away.

I'm still questioning the whole Impa, Chrous kids, Dixie, and Ridley thing.

If Dixie got in than my only 2 characters I wanted got in.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
This is if the leak is true:

I think the amount of bias is a bit much. If Dark Pit truly becomes playable, I'll have to question the character decision process. If they needed a quick clone, there are other characters that could be considered. Also, Ganondorf was a character that many wanted changes to. However, we've seen Pit and Bowser(which was needed) receiving new moves however Ganondorf appears to be nearly identical. I was not in favor of this before, but I personally think that the next Smash installment should consider a new director.

I'm not a huge fan of the leaked roster. I don't despise it, but I'm not in favor of it.

I stated before that I thought the Ice Climbers could be cut due to technical reasons, however I didn't think I'd actually be right.

Last edited:

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
The next character to be announced will be Ice Climbers and everyone is going to let out a collective "Welp..."

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Let me be clear here. I couldn't come up with the proper terminology at the time so I specified "joke type" characters. After a bit of researching, perhaps the more accurate term would be Fighting Clown. I've personally never thought there were such distinction between the terms and that "Joke characters" carried such a negative implication. But now I know.

I'm mainly just saying that the likes of Villager/WFT/DHD fighting is in itself a rather humorous idea. Within their own games, they aren't even fighters, so getting them to fit into Smash takes a bit of creativity. They're quite distinct from the typical fighters you see in Smash.

I'm certainly not claiming these characters took less effort to create, or are inherently bad choices.
I guess Villager fighting does sound hilarious, at first I thought you were calling them 'joke' as...well, a joke! AC ain't no joke!
The most 'serious' fighter out of these three would have to be Wii Fit Trainer, since, well, she's all about excercising and being fit, it kinda makes sense that she'd at least be a competent fighter. I'd prefer using the term quirky or 'quirky-moveset' to avoid negative connotations.

Another thing that sets Villager apart from those two is the fact that he's actually from a very popular videogame series that still has games coming out and he's a requested character since Brawl (Wii Fit's not so much a game as it is a digital excercise program). But anyway, this is the Unpopular Opinions thread, so eh...

Last edited:

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Welp, since the leaks floating around have been all but 100% confirmed, unpopular impressions:
- I can totally buy the reasoning behind the roster order quirks; Yoshi's always been important to the Mario series, and there really never has been a lot of Yoshi-series-exclusive stuff in Smash. Clone corner doesn't bug me much either, and of the possibilities for clones out there, I think they're excellent choices.
- The lack of new playable Pokémon bugs me a whole ton more than the number that didn't return; seriously, this is the first game with fewer than two new reps.
- Lucas being cut was disappointing, but honestly, Ness alone probably is a fair representation of the MOTHER series (I am going to miss Lucas's running attack and U-smash, though). Likewise for Wolf (or Falco, but I imagine his getting in over Wolf was mostly seniority), though I've never liked any of the StarFox characters, so I might be a bit biased.
- The leaked roster, even if complete, is certainly better than Melee's and overall a bit better than Brawl's.

Honestly, I can't believe what this leak's done to my opinion of character inclusions, though; if you'd told me a week ago that Lucas was definitely cut and Dark Pit was definitely in with no other evidence, I'd have been livid.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Lucina is the worst character in FE awakening and i loath her presence in smash 4.
Out of all the children lucina had the least personality and originality. MOst of her support conversations tried to be sentimental over interesting. (the only good ones were when she was speaking to someone with a quirky personality)
Whats her quirk? serious and don't get joke's. She has zero wit in verbal jousts. And i found myself more interested in kellam than her. I like chrom because even though he was generic when reading his text always felt the sincerity in them. He actually believed what he could do. (with help from his comm rads) unlike lucina who is doom in gloom.

Ah got that off my chest.

Also Dark Pit??!!!! Not Hades?! WHY!
On the topic of Hades where the hell are the rest of the villains?
And i mean the true villains who remain BAD till the end.
So not wario
not dedede
definitly not metaknight
NOT MEWTWO (he was a villain (kinda) for ONE movie and good for the other 2)
even bowser is debatable sometimes.

Ill take actual villains like black shadow, hades, and ridly (even though i agree woth the too big argument) over bloody females being thrown all over for horny testosterone filled men. -.-
okay this time im done.

Delicious Tears

Smash Journeyman
Lucina is the worst character in FE awakening and i loath her presence in smash 4.
Out of all the children lucina had the least personality and originality. MOst of her support conversations tried to be sentimental over interesting. (the only good ones were when she was speaking to someone with a quirky personality)
Whats her quirk? serious and don't get joke's. She has zero wit in verbal jousts. And i found myself more interested in kellam than her. I like chrom because even though he was generic when reading his text always felt the sincerity in them. He actually believed what he could do. (with help from his comm rads) unlike lucina who is doom in gloom.

Ah got that off my chest.

Also Dark Pit??!!!! Not Hades?! WHY!
On the topic of Hades where the hell are the rest of the villains?
And i mean the true villains who remain BAD till the end.
So not wario
not dedede
definitly not metaknight
NOT MEWTWO (he was a villain (kinda) for ONE movie and good for the other 2)
even bowser is debatable sometimes.

Ill take actual villains like black shadow, hades, and ridly (even though i agree woth the too big argument) over bloody females being thrown all over for horny testosterone filled men. -.-
okay this time im done.
You are CLEARLY jealous of the power of women. One day, women will rule the land, and you will be the last man on Earth.

Oh, and villains will become illegal as well, which would make me sad because my wanted character is the greatest villain of all time.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
You are CLEARLY jealous of the power of women. One day, women will rule the land, and you will be the last man on Earth.
Sweet. I'll do my endangered species proud.

but in reality no i just hate when women get free passes for being a women. this game is such a hero jock fest bowser and ganon are quivering.
Also the palutena promo why did you have to give us hip/butt and boob shots. completely out of character.
Also my favorite character in FE was Noire if that means anything.
i also find women with more power than i attractive. Like they could kill me but woulden't cuz im awesome.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Exactly. I've noticed that characters are getting launched at more vertical angles than before, and I think this is going to lead to less exciting offstage play.

I remember reading your post in the "Having Doubts About Smash 4" thread and having hope that this could be a very interesting title in the series. I was really hopeful for a second... Now I'm just deflated at the moment. I would love for Smash 4 to succeed and have a flourishing community, but it looks like the game is repeating many of the issues Brawl had. My most wanted newcomer has possibly been confirmed by a leak, but I'm not even sure if playing as him is worth it anymore. It really is sad. I suppose I'll attempt to stay optimistic.
Well, I will say this: momentum cancelling is a thing, so that's one hugely positive thing.

My fears is that, again, the newcomers that are on the hidden roster often correlated with how much I like a Smash game.

(note: all my character feelings are MY OPINIONS! In fact, everything I say is my opinion, lol!)

64 had Luigi, Ness, Captain Falcon, and Jigglypuff. Luigi was poorly executed and basically filler, 2 very well made character in Falcon and Ness, and 1 of the best character designs in Smash in Jigglypuff. That's a lot of cool stuff to hide.

Melee had Dr. Mario, Young Link, Ganondorf, Falco, Pichu, Mewtwo, Marth, Roy, and Mr. G&W. Roy and Pichu filler, Doc, Luigi, Young Link, and Mewtwo were mostly well made, Mr. G&W and Falcondorf were very well made, and Marth and Falco are 2 of the best character designs in Smash. On top of that Melee had ZERO 64 CUTS.

Brawl had Wolf, Lucario, and R.O.B. I guess you can count Snake and Sonic, too. R.O.B. was the definition of bad design and thus essentially filler, Lucario was somewhat well made (it could have been a lot better), Sonic was mostly well made, Wolf were very well made, and Snake is one of the best character designs in Smash.

For secret characters 64 was ONE OF THE BEST HIDDEN ROSTERS EVER, Melee had THE BEST HIDDEN ROSTER EVER, and Brawl had 2 hype 3rd party characters we already knew, 1 meh character, 1 kinda meh character, and 1 well made character.

And that one "well made" character is likely cut, and had INSANE potential (Project M Wolf is HYPE!!!).

Yet we got Dark Pit and possibly no Wolf.

WTF Sakurai=???

But seriously, my enjoyment of the game is comparable to how much I enjoyed the hidden roster.

If all we get is Dark Pit, Shulk, and Duck Hunt Dog, or even with Ridley, Dixie, and the Mach Rider, it's incredibly disappointing after all the newcomers we've seen looking mostly amazing (sorry Palutena, but no), and how there's still one truly amazing and super name missing that's been a top request since Brawl came out.

If we're gonna miss newcomers like that, get cuts of good characters and not poorly designed ones (Win Half Of Tournaments Knight and C.A.M.P.), and get Sakurai speaking down of competitive Melee play and players, why should we not expect the development team to cut corners with the gameplay (specifically in relations to competitive play and competitive depth)=???

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
I think this would be a truly unpopular opinion:
A team of people should be put in to do Sakurai's job instead of just Sakurai, whether he's in the team or not.
I believe the inclusion of Dark Pit, and to an extent, Palutena, was most certainly bias from Sakurai, especially when compared with other roster choices he made.

dansal

Smash Apprentice
Most of the people on this board care way, way too much about execution and muscle memory. Guaranteed combos are boring, overly complex motions hurt my thumbs and I really don't care if a game is slow or not, as long as its interesting to play.

Bames-Jond

Smash Cadet
i'm not saying this is what i wanted, but it's ****ing funny how ganon is pretty much the same as in brawl (captain falcon clone, runs like he has a pole up his ass, etc.) and zelda has apparently been nerfed even more. as if zelda characters haven't suffered enough

Last edited:

Amherst

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wavedash
3DS FC
3239-2573-2753
I love Doc and am excited to play Dark Pit. That said, I cannot even bring myself to hate Lucina. I just can't care. She's just there. That feels even worse than actively hating her somehow.

the8thark

Smash Lord
I think this would be a truly unpopular opinion:
A team of people should be put in to do Sakurai's job instead of just Sakurai, whether he's in the team or not.
I believe the inclusion of Dark Pit, and to an extent, Palutena, was most certainly bias from Sakurai, especially when compared with other roster choices he made.
I believe that is fact. Unfortunate but even he can't hold back his own bias.

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
I'm happy the Doc is in and the Ice Climbers are out :o. Pills over chain grabs ftw.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think Smash 4 will have a much better competitive scene than people are letting on.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
  • I find it amusing that Bowser Jr. haters seem to love his playstyle, whilst Bowser Jr. fans seem to dislike it. I fall into the former category.

• I'm still optimistic this could be the best Smash Bros. yet.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
While I have nothing against Ridley possibly being in and playing as him in Smash, I'm absolutely sick of the controversy surrounding him. The jokes, the flames, the arguments ("Ridley is too big"), the fact that one has to be extra careful not to accidentally offend some fans when making an opinion...just..why? It's childish. I understand that many people want him in and support him, but sometimes its just all too much. He's not a god nor the center of the universe, he's a character off of some video game. In the admist of hype, I can understand why people act the way they do in regards to Ridley, but other times its just ridiculous.

My view of Ridley is rather narrow due to the fact I became more aware of him because of his large fanbase after joining this site. I don't hate him, but don't like him all that much either. I'm hoping that once we all know the SSB4 roster, this will change.

With that being said, the Ridley controversy has taught me how easily it is to be biased when supporting a character ( I'm guilty myself) and that its better to make an effort to be objective in regards to playable characters. But of course, that's easier said than done.

Smash is a video game to be enjoyed by all. Everyone is entitled to support whoever and do whatever they want within reason. We all just need to remember to cool it at times.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I think that Dr. Mario and Dark Pit aren't the worst things that could have happened.

Morbi

Scavenger
I think that Dr. Mario and Dark Pit are the best things that could have happened.

Oh, and also, I believe the leak is fake. That opinion is guaranteed to be unpopular! Might even be one of the first for this thread. :troll:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I think that Dr. Mario and Dark Pit are the best things that could have happened.

Oh, and also, I believe the leak is fake. That opinion is guaranteed to be unpopular! Might even be one of the first for this thread. :troll:
*was about to make a counter argument*

*realises the title of this thread*

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII

I don't believe it 100% either. But since its what everyone's talking about, for the sake of conversation I don't want to start each sentence with "If the leak is true or not".

General-Guy

Smash Cadet
Paper Mario should have been in over Bowser Jr.
If they could fit Toon Link in the game, they definitly could still fit Lucas and Wolf in.
That said, I don't think Lucas, Ice Climbers, and Wolf are all being cut.
I also don't think we have the final roster yet.
Ridley not being in is bad not because he deserves to be in, but because the hype he would create is a missed opportunity by the developers.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
  • I find it amusing that Bowser Jr. haters seem to love his playstyle, whilst Bowser Jr. fans seem to dislike it. I fall into the former category.
Same here. Bowser Jr. was near rock bottom for characters I wanted in Smash, just slightly above Count Chocula and Richard Simmons, but his moveset plus all the Koopalings saves the character for me. The fact that Sakurai didn't make him the Pichu equivalent of Bowser truly surprised me.

Bames-Jond

Smash Cadet

• I'm still optimistic this could be the best Smash Bros. yet.
kind of agree. i wanted bowser jr in, but his playstyle looks a little weird to me. i was hoping he'd use his paint brush or something. oh well, i'm sure he'll work. he's just different.

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
Another unpopular opinion: I hate Samus. never liked the character. Maybe cause she's a woman and Im gay. who knows

@ Fatmanonice Fatmanonice
Same here. Bowser Jr. was near rock bottom for characters I wanted in Smash, just slightly above Count Chocula and Richard Simmons.
Richard Simmons could still be an alt for WIi Fit Trainer.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
To those complaining about Sakurai's favoritism, consider this:
Say you were to work on a group project, but you were the one doing the majority of the work. Wouldn't you want your work to stand out the most since you're putting the most effort? I certainly would (and have).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom