• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Certain obnoxiously entitled fans of Ridley, King K. Rool and Mewtwo's have killed any part of me that wanted to see them playable.
If one is letting others players who you don't even play with ruin the enjoyability of certain game aspects (like Capps does), potential or otherwise, then the person doesn't have any business playing the game in the first place. Relax.

And that's my unpopular opinion.

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
This game is extention of brawl and from sakurai's interviews it is pretty clear the focus is mostly on the new smash brothers player.
Why would i care about the roster? It is great so far I care about the gameplay more than characters there are more than enough new playstyles in this game.
Stages aren't a big deal to me.
Interviews state this is a philosophical mending of melee and Brawl. Sakurai has expressly stated that Brawl was meant to attract new and casual players, since that's what the console (wii) was designed for. But with Smash 4 he doesn't see the need to design the game that way any more.

He also recognizes the competitive playerbase and the value of them as a demographic for Smash 4, as he's stated in a very good interview a while back. Let's move on from this topic.

Last edited:

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
I think I forgot this in my last post, but I can't stand the makeover Yoshi got. I know the older design was more dated, but it's a more classic take on him; when I see him upright I expect him to be interchangeable with any other Mario character, like in Mario Party, Mario Kart, to an extent in Super Mario 64 DS, etc. They'd better make him way the heck lighter to compensate, cause he doesn't look the least bit like a heavyweight anymore.

Bowser's redesign doesn't bother me, oddly enough; I guess it reminds me of his appearance in the Mario & Luigi series. His voice does, but I imagine that's not at all an unpopular opinion.

Also, surprised that this isn't more prevalent an opinion, but I think every iteration of Smash Bros.'s Peach looks loads better than she does in the Mario series.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I sadly still find the casual players of the series to be very, how you say, 'antagonistic' of the competitive smash community. The Wii U subreddit, for example, insults and/or downvotes those who are excited for the gamecube controller adapter, admit to playing with items off, and so forth. The vibe is still very much present, and I expect it will become more apparent upon release when people talk about the game in their chosen 'for fun' or 'for glory' context. For example, tier lists will still get a lot of hate, taking the game seriously will be frowned on, and so forth. It's indicative that Smash is still the only game series with the issue of 'casual elitism'.

I wish it wasn't so, and I hope I'm wrong in my observations.

edit: Both communities should be able to live in harmony, but I find myself being onslaught for mentioning that I'm a commentator or attend tournaments, or play with items off, don't enjoy stage hazards, or play 1v1s or 2v2s exclusively. I don't find the competitive players to be the ones making fun of the 'for fun' way of playing, it's always the other way around. I hope this doesn't persist.
Well here's a real problem: Nintendo's fan community is one of the worst communities ever.

They're loyal to a corporation that only likes them for their money (that's the purpose of a corporation), but they treat Nintendo like a young child treats their parents (like they're what everyone should be). They also treat any slightly different opinion like it's the work of the devil. Seriously, the hate on competitive play is crazier than you say. If I told you stories from what I've read on various Nintendo fan sites it would legitimately upset you.

The funniest thing is they talk about games they hate more on games they hate than talk about how much they enjoy games the like. They hate on competitive smash and they usually don't even play Smash. They don't even remotely understand competitive play, either, and treat understanding it like a disease.

They don't even understand that "casual" and "competitive" are in a way the same thing. "Casual" is implied to mean "play to have fun", which is a very open-ended meaning that includes competitive play. "Competitive" is implied to mean "play to win", which implies that "competitive" smashers enjoy it, which means that "competitive" smashers have fun. Thus, all "competitive" smashers are "casuals". To back this up, watch Mango play Smash, especially IRL. Literally no one enjoys it more than that crazy kid. I don't even think it's possible to enjoy a game more than he enjoy smash, lol.

It's also funny that competitive smash draws streaming viewership numbers that are higher than a lot of these sites have views in a day. So while these "haters" pretend they are the majority, in all actuality they are not. They're the smallest and dumbest minority in gaming on the internet.

I also gotta say I hate when this kind of mentality creeps into the boards.I hate how some people hate on other people because of the way they play Smash. Smash is a video game. Video games should be played however the player wants to play it.

People who
criticize others for being "casual" or "competitive" players on this site should get permanent infractions by the moderating and administrative staff on this site, not mere warning on the wrists while people get infractions for much less. Enough is enough.

Last edited:

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
I actually like the idea of Daisy in Smash Bros.
But only if she gets a really good character design. I could see her being a fast fighter in a Smash Strikers-like outfit, with flower shuriken and some crystal powers instead of a princess fighting style and Peach rip-off.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
- People ******** about the POTD mostly don't even want to realize that the costumes are canon and nice little references.
I feel like oversexualization of Samus seems to be the topic with Sm4sh right now but she has always been sexualized. It started with the secret Metroid endings. And that was 1986.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Showing a Trophy does not disconfirm a character. Only an Assist Trophy/Poke Ball announcement directly does. Or Sakurai outright saying they're not playable. Same with showing someone in a Trailer.(they do have to show they aren't playable through gameplay, not a simple cameo)

Mewtwo is a great Pokemon, but not that important to Smash in itself like Jigglypuff is. Namely, the "more times here" and "actually doesn't suck overall in the only game it's in" plays a big role. Also, to be honest, I feel like their popularity isn't really that dissimilar.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
With the 3DS version, I look forward to the Brawl retro stages the most, for one reason only - I expect the Melee retro stages to be mostly the same as they were in the last game.

I am
bored of Jungle Japes and Brinstar. Why not Kongo Jungle or Brinstar Depths, stages we have never played outside of Melee? I know these are limited samples from which to extrapolate data, but... I apprehensively fear most, if not all, the 3DS Melee retro stages will be the same ones from Brawl. There is little-to-no reason why Corneria, Pokemon Stadium, or (especially) Green Greens is to be left out, considering their iconic status (I believe the Temple may be a Wii U exclusive), which materially limits Melee's selection of stages for the 3DS. My problem is not with these particular stages themselves, but rather denying alternative content for the sake of maintaining a tradition. I want something new.

With that said, I still fortunately expect Fountain of Dreams to return, on whichever console.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Regarding the Unknown Renders leak:
I like the leak. Sure I don't know if it's real or not (and judging by history it probably won't), but in all honesty if it is I'd buy it.
Not only do we get most of Brawl's roster back, but then we'd get our retro rep (Duck Hunt) and oddball rep in the form of Dr. Mario.

Sure there's Bowser Jr. and Dark Pit. But I'll warm up to them eventually.

Last edited:
I will never get tired of Alfonzo jokes. And when I join the battle, Alfonzo is in charge of never getting tired of Alfonzo jokes. "Leave it to me!"

Not sure if this is unpopular, maybe just controversial, but I'm satisfied with the alleged leaked roster on the homepage if it turns out to be true. There are some unfortunate cuts, but I won't let it soil all the other splendid things packed into the game.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Nintendo is pandering to the "waifu" crowd and that annoys the heck out of me.

Rosalina shouldn't be playable. Her moveset is neat, but it shouldn't have been given to her?

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
- People seem to throw around the term "deserving" too much and it's gotten pretty annoying. No one deserves anything. It all comes down to what Sakurai thinks would make an interesting character. Greninja, Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, and Lucina are proof of that.
- We were never done with clones. Those who are disappointed only have themselves to blame for believing in such nonsense.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Mii Fighters are the single (triple?) best addition into Smash Brothers; at first, I did not feel this way. Their preferential treatment and lackluster move-sets helped conceive my disdain for them. To this day, I would have still liked a Mii Sports themed character or a Find Mii themed character. However, something inside of me changed... I have been spending the last week collecting all of the hats and amassing a Mii army that is about 50 strong with quality Miis (as a former Mii hater, my standards are high).

Anyways, back to the point, Mii Fighters are the best newcomer addition. I would hate to say it as one of Robin's biggest supporters, but Mii Fighters are a better choice than Robin. :urg:

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
I hope Snake IS indeed cut. He doesn't belong in Smash. He's not iconic in the way Sonic and Pac man and mega man are.
Hey, hey, hey there fella! Hold up! Metal Gear Solid is a very iconic series.

... for Playstation.

Seriously though, Simon Belmont should totally be Konami's rep in Smash Bros.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Just a small one from me today;

• I'm going to miss the stitching detail on Mario and Luigi's dungarees and hat. The new art style is closer to how they're portrayed in the Mario series, but I always thought the stitching details were an amazing detail on the Mario Bros. and wish it'd been carried over to the Super Mario series.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
There isn't a whole lot of time left before the game comes out so Sakurai should start post something legitimately interesting every day now (even if it's not that big of a thing).

ikke471

The artsy ikke
NNID
ikke471
3DS FC
3695-0085-7971
unpopular opinions:
I'm kinda dissapointed Pacman is in. yup.
I'm sad Rayman is probably not in.
I really don't care about the whole UUUH MELEE IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN BRAWL thing.. I like em both equally.
I really don't mind Dark Pit being in. (if the leak is real that is)
I don't like the idea of duck hunt dog being in but I don't hate him.. yet. (depends on how he plays of the leak is real)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The sad thing about Mewtwo and Ridley probably not being in is the amount of jerks who hound their supporters will get smug satisfaction out of it.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I didn't expected that to happen, but when I heard about the sound test on 3ds, I was more hype than when I learned about TTYD getting music rep.

Because of this sound test, I'll find very ironic any comments of the 3ds not being advanced compared to WiiU. To get the quality of wav and maybe even better and essential vlc function I use to listen them, it's basically like a portable wav player. I had this idea and I never expected that I would get the original quality of a music while having mp3 player features on a video game.

It's even more portable than my laptop which is the most portable device I use to enjoy original quality with vlc.

I consider this the best sound test ever and still complaining about the 3ds version not being advanced doesn't make sense. Add all the games that the music comes and it's crazy.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Hey, hey, hey there fella! Hold up! Metal Gear Solid is a very iconic series.

... for Playstation.

Seriously though, Simon Belmont should totally be Konami's rep in Smash Bros.
That would be soooo sweet. One can only dream. Heh.

Most of us were playing with Mario, Mega man and Pac man, and even Simon Belmont before 99% of people even knew who Snake was.

Last edited:

Chase

Smash Ace
I hate Dark Pit. Soooooo much. Dark Pit is the one character that I am completely against being in Smash. I don't like him as a character, if you can even call him that. No, you can't. Because he is literally just Pit with Testosterone!!!! He has no moveset potential and should stay a pallet swap where he belongs. He also is the reason I hate this character selection screen leak. He is the embodiment of my hatred towards that leak, which is caused by Dark Pit in the first place! He also annoys me because of people actually supporting him now when he only appeared in one game as a "character", and there were SOOOO many other characters that are superior to him in every way! I just absolutely despise Dark Pit, and hope he gets cut after Smash 4. (Team Real, by the way).

So that was my Dark Pit rant, good to have that off my chest.

Charkoaler

Smash Rookie
NNID
charkoaler
3DS FC
3969-5051-8391
Well this is my unpopular opinion I guess, I really don't want to see Ridley King K. Rool or mewtwo in the game. I know these are the big 3 and it sounds like I'm trolling by saying i don't want any of them but it's true. Mewtwo has had his chance in the game and i do not believe that cut characters should come back despite how requested they are. Ridley should stay a boss, simple as that. He's become one of the most iconic bosses in the gaming universe, he should stay that way. And King K. Rool really isn't relevant, hasn't had a game appearance in ages. Just my opinion, might make a few people angry but im in this thread for that reason :D

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It IS a mistake by Nintendo to have left Roy out of Brawl and Smash 4.
Eh, not really, from a Nintendo perspective Roy really isn't very important and is one of the most unpopular lords in FE itself, his only claim to fame is Melee. Having Lucina instead is the right move imo, she's in the franchise's most successful game and is actually a popular character by her own merits, she's the better choice for a Marth clone imo.

EDIT: ****, didn't realize what thread I'm in. Sorry.

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
Eh, not really, from a Nintendo perspective Roy really isn't very important and is one of the most unpopular lords in FE itself, his only claim to fame is Melee. Having Lucina instead is the right move imo, she's in the franchise's most successful game and is actually a popular character by her own merits, she's the better choice for a Marth clone imo.

That's ok. I agree with you from a Nintendo perspective. But from a Smash perspective, I thought Roy was simply amazing. And as contrast I really hated Marth in Melee. If

That's ok. I agree with you from a Nintendo perspective. But from a Smash perspective, I thought Roy was simply amazing. And as contrast I really hated Marth in Melee (and Brawl too). If Lucina can me just as amazing as Roy was then it's ok. I guess I just miss having Roy as my main. Ike in Brawl (though good) was no Roy replacement. I am aware I am in the minority here and Nintendo need to make the popular choices to sell more games.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I have no idea if this is an unpopular opinion, but it's something I wanna say:
If Sakurai is aware of the leak, which he probably is, then he's probably not going to reveal anything that could prove or disprove the leak before the game comes out or at least until right before; which means no more characters, stages, etc. until release or right before release.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I hate Dark Pit. Soooooo much. Dark Pit is the one character that I am completely against being in Smash. I don't like him as a character, if you can even call him that. No, you can't. Because he is literally just Pit with Testosterone!!!! He has no moveset potential and should stay a pallet swap where he belongs. He also is the reason I hate this character selection screen leak. He is the embodiment of my hatred towards that leak, which is caused by Dark Pit in the first place! He also annoys me because of people actually supporting him now when he only appeared in one game as a "character", and there were SOOOO many other characters that are superior to him in every way! I just absolutely despise Dark Pit, and hope he gets cut after Smash 4. (Team Real, by the way).

So that was my Dark Pit rant, good to have that off my chest.
Pretty much the majority shares your opinion, this is not an unpopular opinion.

Last edited:

Chase

Smash Ace
Pretty much the majority shares your opinion, this is not an unpopular opinion.
I know, this just seemed like the best place to post that opinion since there is no "popular Smash opinions" thread.

Some more:
  • I prefer Wolf to Falco and always have.
  • Roy shouldn't have been in Melee.
  • I prefer Pig Ganon to Ganondorf.
  • I prefer Porky Minch to Lucas any day.
  • Meowth is a better Pokémon rep than Jigglypuff.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Unpopular opinions? Okay then, I think I have a few.
1. I think Ridley should just be a stage boss.
2. Mewtwo isn't that great of a character.
3. Lucario is not a clone of Mewtwo.
4. I believe the leak is fake.
5. Meta Knight doesn't need a nerf, the other characters are getting buffed.
6. Toonie isn't a flat-out clone of Link. The same applies to Falco. Wolf and Lucas are not clones. PERIOD.
7. Dark Samus would have been a better choice than Ridley(yeah I know, she's an assist trophy).
8. Lucario should not have a Mewtwo alt. skin.
9. Pac-Man's reveal stung me a little.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I've been wanting to say this for a while, I don't hate Ridley. In all honesty, I think he's a decent villain. And I've never minded him having appearance in Smash. But I'm tired of him.
Not because I hate him, I would be glad if he got in, but I'm sick of his toxicity.
I'm sick of the too big jokes, I'm sick of the "Ridley confirmed" jokes, I'm sick of people always trying to use unrelated evidence to push him down our throats, I'm sick of every tired explanation in an attempt to justify his inclusion for the five hundredth time, I'm sick of people trying to shoe-horn him in every single topic. You know it's bad when the mods over in the Leak Group have to make a rule about him being off-topic (That is, if said leak has nothing to do with him). And if you have to directly make a rule to tell people not to bring up an unrelated topic (in this case Ridley), it's gotten bad.
Seriously guys, it's been run to the ground. The jokes aren't funny anymore, we need to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom