• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
...Wii Fit Trainer is a full character. She's just available as a male version too. Mr. Game & Watch is a combination of them, though.

Duck Hunt is too, but a combination of multiple ones, which is why it's not called "Duck Hunt Dog". Duo sometimes, since the Dog and Duck are the most notable, but they're no less characters in a game.
I see the8thark's line of reason, but I don't agree that in Wii Fit that the trainer really qualifies as a character. She/He's just a virtual work out instructor. Maybe if they had a name I would be more open to the idea.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I see the8thark's line of reason, but I don't agree that in Wii Fit that the trainer really qualifies as a character. She/He's just a virtual work out instructor. Maybe if they had a name I would be more open to the idea.
Which they do, Wii Fit Trainer. So it's named by their class. Didn't stop a generic Pokemon Trainer from coming in. Or two more showing up in the Trophy list(based upon Calem and Serena).

Generic Classes are characters when it comes to Smash. It's pretty blatant that anything goes.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Mr G&W does not have a proper name either. It would be "Mr Super Nintendo" if the character was about the Super Nintendo just as an example. He's just Mr console name.

The Robotic Operating Buddy is just a piece of hardware that Nintendo used the same name for the SSB character.

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Which they do, Wii Fit Trainer. So it's named by their class. Didn't stop a generic Pokemon Trainer from coming in. Or two more showing up in the Trophy list(based upon Calem and Serena).

Generic Classes are characters when it comes to Smash. It's pretty blatant that anything goes.
Which I guess what I said qualifies as an "unpopular opinion". :p

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
-I'm glad that Marth and Falco were hard core nerfed. They were both top tier characters for 13 years and the tumble they've both taken was more than appropriate.

-Despite all the whining, I think they did a good job reasonably nerfing Metaknight. He's still good (probably wind up as mid tier at the very least) but he's no longer "where is your god now" good.

-I think people are too biased against Wii Fit Trainer and it's a shame virtually no one plays as her. I love playing as her (she's one of my mains) and I think she has a lot of potential. She kind of reminds me of Snake with all her unorthodox hitboxes and tactics.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
While Smash is absolutely a game that trades in iconography, I feel like too many people think that should be the only requirement for newcomer characters. Barring Dark Pit and Lucina (whom I have no issues with, really), this is the most unique batch of newcomers yet from a gameplay perspective even if certain characters are a little more obscure or out of left field as they have been in the past.

Shog

Smash Ace
I am glad most people think Rosalina is broken and that we have experience how we should have banned Meta-Knight in Brawl. Maybe we ban her in the future.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I enjoy every Smash title. I mean, yeah, each one has things I dislike about it. 64 admittedly feels dated. Melee has godawful balance. Brawl has tripping and a campy metagame. Smash 4 initially had a very disappointing roster. Even PM isn't perfect.

But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy them all. I hold a positive opinion for each one and usually don't completely "drop" a previous title when a new one releases, nor do I immediately go back to an older one if the new one has features that don't immediately satisfy me in every way. Even though PM and Smash 4 are my current focuses, I will never understand the deep hatred the community holds for Brawl. Every time I see a discussion about all the Smash games, they specifically leave out Brawl like it's blasphemous or something. I honestly didn't mind the new physics; it felt "fresh" to me and it was nice to have something different from Melee. Hell, I even enjoyed the SSE. You sure as hell don't see that much singleplayer content in Smash 4. Brawl had a lot of glaring issues that I mainly agree with the community on, but it had its positives too. A lot of people seem to selectively remember the bad things.

Also, I support Ridley solely because I like him, Samus, villains, and the Metroid series in general. Not because everyone else wants him in or because he "looks cool". On the other hand, I'm cool with him not being in, and I sure as hell don't go whining about his exclusion on the internet...

Last edited:

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
I think Ridley as a boss is several times cooler and more appropriate than as a character. This is coming from a Ridley supporter.

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
personally

i don't give two ****s about Ridley
Personally

Falco prefers the air.

But I don't give a **** about duplicate smashes or whether or not one Smash is better than the other because I don't use items and they're inherently random so balancing them is moronic. May as well just make breaking the Smash ball claim a stock.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I don't think Robin's playstyle is unique or interesting. Gameplay-wise, I think Robin is my least favorite newcomer.

I prefer the male Wii Fit Trainer to the female one. He's hilarious.

I want Blastoise and Venusaur to join Charizard as playable characters. Replace Jigglypuff with some newer Pokémon if that's "too much Gen 1."

I think the DLC characters should be limited to Mewtwo and Ice Climbers.

If Ice Climbers were to return, but had to be separated, I'd be willing to settle for it. They'd probably be rejoined in the next game anyway, and a solo Ice Climber moveset, while not as unique as the traditional one, could be something fun to explore.

Even though I thoroughly enjoy the 3DS version, I don't think it should've existed.

I think Mario is better than he gets credit for.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I don't think Robin's playstyle is unique or interesting. Gameplay-wise, I think Robin is my least favorite newcomer.

I want Blastoise and Venusaur to join Charizard as playable characters. Replace Jigglypuff with some newer Pokémon if that's "too much Gen 1."

If Ice Climbers were to return, but had to be separated, I'd be willing to settle for it. They'd probably be rejoined in the next game anyway, and a solo Ice Climber moveset, while not as unique as the traditional one, could be something fun to explore.

Even though I thoroughly enjoy the 3DS version, I don't think it should've existed.

To be honest the "over repping gen one" argument is pretty moot anyway. There's a lot of gen one pokemon because they're popular, their generations are irrelevant. Lucario isn't there to "repersent" gen four, he's there (at least partially) because he's popular. Why does it matter what generation a Pokemon is from?

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
To be honest the "over repping gen one" argument is pretty moot anyway. There's a lot of gen one pokemon because they're popular, their generations are irrelevant. Lucario isn't there to "repersent" gen four, he's there (at least partially) because he's popular. Why does it matter what generation a Pokemon is from?
I've always absolutely agreed with this opinion. Pokémon don't "represent" the individual generations they come from. They're all representative of the entire franchise. "Generations" aren't as big a deal as the fanbase likes to make them out to be. Each generation is just a sequel installment to the previous one. X/Y are no more a different "generation" from Ruby/Sapphire than Skyward Sword is from Twilight Princess.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot

1.Disagree
2.I equally love both
3. I'm not huge on Poekemon, so...
4. Agree, but they most likely to return together on the WiiU version. I'm 99% sure.
5. Disagree
6. Eh?

the8thark

Smash Lord

1. Agree totally. But when I play the WiiU version that might change.
2. Agreed.
3. Having Gen 1 there is cool. I think people care too much about the different generations. They are all just pokemon.
4. IC will never come back most likely because old 3DS. Other DLC characters might come too. Anything is possible.
5. That is very possible. But having only one of them kills what the character is. It's really both or none, and Sakurai chose none.
6. In part I agree but Nintendo needed the cash. And Sakurai has said he really wanted to make the 3DS version. And the rumour is they forced him to make the WiiU version. So it's either both versions, 3DS only or no versions at all. The WiiU version was never on the cards as being solo without a 3DS version.
7. I agree. Mario is not bad at all.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
- I've never understood why Shulk should have been in this game. I know he's popular, but most people don't even know who he is.

- Some people says that Waluigi will never be in a Smash game because he's only a crossover and a moveset for him would be boring. We're talking about a game that made the Wii Fit trainer, the Villager, Rosalina and even R.O.B playable characters while still not being boring. Waluigi could have a moveset if you combine all of the games he appeared, like all the sports games and party games. 40 games to make a moveset out of him and yet he's not in playable. Wii fit trainer ? 2 games. Rosalina ? Only in 3 games for the man series, 9 if you count the "crossover" games like Mario Kart and 10 if you include Smash. Waluigi ? 40 crossovers games where he showed his powers. He could have been playable in my eyes.

- I hate the sounds that make Ike when he hits someone with his sword. It doesn't sounds like a sword for me for some reason.

- I actually like the bomb mode.

- The Ice Climbers could work if the AI of Nana would have been like the Luma of Rosalina. Maybe it's because the 3DS can't support too much models of Ice Climbers, but I still thinks that they could work. But I'm certainly wrong.

I don't have that much opinions apparently.

the8thark

Smash Lord
- I've never understood why Shulk should have been in this game. I know he's popular, but most people don't even know who he is.
That's exactly why he is in Smash. So people can learn about him. And he advertises his Xenoblade Chronicles too by being in SSB4. Same deal with Marth and Roy in Melee. No one knew who they were back then, and they advertised FE quite well.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
That's exactly why he is in Smash. So people can learn about him. And he advertises his Xenoblade Chronicles too by being in SSB4. Same deal with Marth and Roy in Melee. No one knew who they were back then, and they advertised FE quite well.
Yeah, that's probably why. But that's just my opinion, I've never really liked Xenoblade anyway. Please don't kill me.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
In my opinion the following characters are not befitting of the Smash Bros. roster.

ROB - Originally not a video game character, he was a piece of hardware no different from a controller or headset. The two games he was made for didn't even feature him as a character within the game. Since then, yes, he has appeared as a guest character in other games. That doesn't necessarily make him a video game character, as he's never appeared in a title of his own, and originated as hardware. For these reasons he breaks that threshold of video game characters only, he sets a precedent for the game that can jeopardize the future integrity of the roster.

Mii Fighters - The Mii Fighters are creative and fun, i'll give them that. As far as original play style is concerned they're pretty unoriginal and just take on predictable archetypes. Furthermore they can't even be used for online play, due to their gimmick being customizable. Essentially their one perk about being fully customizable is also their Achilles heel. On top of that I feel like their development time could have been put to better use on (for lack of a better word) real game characters.

Wii Fit Trainer - This character was only put in as an attempt to be clever and unforeseen. Which by contrast makes it the exact opposite. Any director could pick any obscure title or unlikely character and make it a "Oh didn't see that happening character". Sure Wii Fit sold well, but at it's core is it really a true video game? Also did any one really want this character before it was shown? No. Another character that doesn't bring a real diverse move set, that's actually really bland. Once again the dev time could have been better spent else where if not on another character than on something else.

Besides those three characters the rest are all personal preference. Sure there's a few odd balls, and move sets could have been improved upon this time around, to enhance the character, but they contribute one way or another to a diverse roster. Yes their is character bias, and yes some people hate clones, but at least it's not a disservice to the game.

I applaud Sakurai's efforts on the following character's move sets. I may not like these characters personally but I recognize what they bring to the game.

Little Mac
Rosalina
Robin
Shulk
Clown Car

and to an extent Villager and maybe Greninja

Last edited:

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
In my opinion the following characters are not befitting of the Smash Bros. roster.

ROB - Originally not a video game character, he was a piece of hardware no different from a controller or headset. The two games he was made for didn't even feature him as a character within the game. Since then, yes, he has appeared as a guest character in other games. That doesn't necessarily make him a video game character, as he's never appeared in a title of his own, and originated as hardware. For these reasons he breaks that threshold of video game characters only, he sets a precedent for the game that can jeopardize the future integrity of the roster.

Mii Fighters - The Mii Fighters are creative and fun, i'll give them that. As far as original play style is concerned they're pretty unoriginal and just take on predictable archetypes. Furthermore they can't even be used for online play, due to their gimmick being customizable. Essentially their one perk about being fully customizable is also their Achilles heel. On top of that I feel like their development time could have been put to better use on (for lack of a better word) real game characters.

Wii Fit Trainer - This character was only put in as an attempt to be clever and unforeseen. Which by contrast makes it the exact opposite. Any director could pick any obscure title or unlikely character and make it a "Oh didn't see that happening character". Sure Wii Fit sold well, but at it's core is it really a true video game? Also did any one really want this character before it was shown? No. Another character that doesn't bring a real diverse move set, that's actually really bland. Once again the dev time could have been better spent else where if not on another character than on something else.

Besides those three characters the rest are all personal preference. Sure there's a few odd balls, and move sets could have been improved upon this time around, to enhance the character, but they contribute one way or another to a diverse roster. Yes their is character bias, and yes some people hate clones, but at least it's not a disservice to the game.

I applaud Sakurai's efforts on the following character's move sets. I may not like these characters personally but I recognize what they bring to the game.

Little Mac
Rosalina
Robin
Shulk
Clown Car

and to an extent Villager and maybe Greninja
Yeah, that's basically how I feel. The only one I like from that list is Robin. So many people thought ROB was a one-and-done character, but they just had to bring him back. Beyond the fact that he isn't an actual video game character, he had an uninteresting moveset overall and I don't know a soul who actually mained him. I hate how he got in, yet Wolf got cut. I'm not one to support the whole "X got in over Y" thing, but that does bother me a bit.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
I think the Wii U version's intro movie is super hype despite the reused footage.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
-Rosalina is not broken (not right now anyway), and people need to stop saying she is because it's made Rosalina players feel they have to downplay her strengths and exaggerate her weaknesses to justify playing their character. As a result, discussion on the character has become kinda repetitive, because everyone is hung up on whether or not she is broken. I'd rather we just discuss the character on her own merits and try to discover new things about her, rather than worrying about if she is "too good" or not.
At this point, anything that Rosaluma mains learn about her metagame that makes her a better fighter will only bring her more negativity from Smashers in the long-run.

Just another thing to be eyeroll at and be frustrated about, that's how they'll see them.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
At this point, anything that Rosaluma mains learn about her metagame that makes her a better fighter will only bring her more negativity from Smashers in the long-run.

Just another thing to be eyeroll at and be frustrated about, that's how they'll see them.
Fair enough, I suppose the same can be said for Little Mac.
To be fair though, once Luma is gone, two of Rosalina's specials are rendered useless, and the other two aren't exactly offensive attacks. So basically all her specials are useless at that point. I suppose the player could just run and hide till Luma respawns but give credit to those who keep the offense at those times.

Lustersold

Smash Rookie
Pokémon deserves lots of representation. There are hundreds of iconic characters 6 is not enough.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Yeah, that's probably why. But that's just my opinion, I've never really liked Xenoblade anyway. Please don't kill me.
I didn't even know Xenoblade existed till Shulk in SSB4. So I'm no judge either haha. And it's cool if you don't like it. Not every game will be liked by everyone.

Pokémon deserves lots of representation. There are hundreds of iconic characters 6 is not enough.
On the 3DS version I agree as pokemon is mostly a handheld thing. But on the WiiU? I think not as much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tyril132

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tyril132
3DS FC
4957-3662-2945
Okay. This one will probably get me crucified, but here we go.

I think wave-dashing, cancelling and similar techniques are a cancer on the series, and the single biggest reason why I'm so excited for Smash 4 is that it seems like they've finally gotten rid of most of them.

I recognize that they take skill and technique to execute and training to implement into your game effectively, but I don't really see them any differently from other physics exploits like snaking: they're contrary to the spirit of the game and shift the meta away from playing within the designed confines of the game. I feel like they've broken the competitive base and made competitive play less interesting to spectate.

Smash 4 has brought back a lot of the speed and general flow of game play from Melee, but fixed most of the exploits, and I think the game spectates and plays much better as a result. Watching competitive footage actually feels exciting to me, because it seems like there's a much more deliberate and purposeful flow to the movement of the players and a greater emphasis on skills like reading and mind games.

After watching or playing a really competitive match in Smash 4, my thoughts are "Those players were awesome, they make me want to learn how to be a better player" instead of "Ugh, I can't believe how much bull**** I'd have to put up with to even get up to speed."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think wave-dashing, cancelling and similar techniques are a cancer on the series, and the single biggest reason why I'm so excited for Smash 4 is that it seems like they've finally gotten rid of most of them.
I sincerely agree.

Also, on another note, I find both Robin and Shulk to be really boring. Definitely my least favorite newcomers to play as, no matter how excited I was with them initially.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I wish he was in Smash instead of the classic Mega Mang:

Tyril132

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tyril132
3DS FC
4957-3662-2945
I wish he was in Smash instead of the classic Mega Mang:

I love the Blue Bomber and I think they really nailed his NES-era iteration... but it would be awesome to see Zero join the fray as a third party DLC.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I actually think Pokémon is overpresented. It doesn't matter if there are hundreds of iconic characters in the series, that has nothing to do with Smash.
Okay. This one will probably get me crucified, but here we go.

I recognize that they take skill and technique to execute and training to implement into your game effectively, but I don't really see them any differently from other physics exploits like snaking: they're contrary to the spirit of the game and shift the meta away from playing within the designed confines of the game. I feel like they've broken the competitive base and made competitive play less interesting to spectate.

Smash 4 has brought back a lot of the speed and general flow of game play from Melee, but fixed most of the exploits, and I think the game spectates and plays much better as a result. Watching competitive footage actually feels exciting to me, because it seems like there's a much more deliberate and purposeful flow to the movement of the players and a greater emphasis on skills like reading and mind games.

After watching or playing a really competitive match in Smash 4, my thoughts are "Those players were awesome, they make me want to learn how to be a better player" instead of "Ugh, I can't believe how much bull**** I'd have to put up with to even get up to speed."
I agree, but unfortunately the tourney players will eventually find exploits and ruin the fun of watching (and playing the game online) for other people.

It would be interesting if Nintendo patches any possible exploits players find, but I have no hopes for that.

the8thark

Smash Lord
On 3DS I agree. Pokemon is a portable console thing. It's not really huge on the Nintendo TV consoles. ANd since SSB WiiU is a TV console game . . . I think you get me, the WiiU should not be overloaded with pokemon stuff.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I still want Ridley as a playable character.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
They could permanently remove Jigglypuff from all future Pokemon games and she'd still deserve her slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom