• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I'll probably get flamed but I don't care anymore:
Overall, I like Smash 3DS a lot, but overall I think I'd have to rank them:
1. Melee
2. Brawl
3. 3DS
4. 64

the8thark

Smash Lord
I'll probably get flamed but I don't care anymore:
Overall, I like Smash 3DS a lot, but overall I think I'd have to rank them:
1. Melee
2. Brawl
3. 3DS
4. 64
So? That's your opinion, and you're entitled to have it.

Retro graphics are used too much. One of the joys of Smash is seeing old characters and settings re-imagined in contemporary graphics.

Stage 1 in Melee's Adventure Mode was wicked exciting the first time my kid self saw it. To me, it's what Mario's world "really" looks like without looking through an 8-bit prism, and that's the feeling I want more of.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Retro graphics are used too much. One of the joys of Smash is seeing old characters and settings re-imagined in contemporary graphics.

Stage 1 in Melee's Adventure Mode was wicked exciting the first time my kid self saw it. To me, it's what Mario's world "really" looks like without looking through an 8-bit prism, and that's the feeling I want more of.
I couldn't really agree more. Initially I kind of liked the Mute City stage (and kind of still do) but I would really have preferred an actual stage based off GX or something.

Azew

Smash Lord
I think the song Flat Zone 2 is a better than the original Flat Zone song. It sounds retro but at the same time it sounds more atmospheric. At some parts it feels like the retro (4-bit?) music is just one dimension of the song at that there's something strange hidden just out view and gives it a strange mysterious feel. Then suddlenly it switches back to a simple happy tone like it was nothing at all. The original song sounds like it's trying to hard to be sound cool and futuristic.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
  • I'd be fine with Sakurai not making the next game.
    I don't care if he's the man who got me into gaming, or if it's disrespectful to suggest such a thing, I want to see someone else have a crack at masterminding the next Smash...

• ...Especially if it means less irritating gimmick stages.
    Yes, we have the Omega versions but since they're all basically featureless Final Destination clones I'm having to make a choice between suffering irritating gimmicks such as Flying Man, side scrolling stages and Yellow Devil or playing on a boring flat surface Final Destination clone. I guess I could turn off stages with these hazards, but that is the majority of the 3DS stages.

Surely there should be some more middle ground? Brawl and Melee never felt this irritating stage wise.

• I'm fine with Amiibos and look forward to getting my first one.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
  • I'm fine with Amiibos and look forward to getting my first one.
I'm honestly cool with 'em too. It's not often you can find "good" figures of Nintendo characters, and it's like collecting trophies IRL with a secondary function. I already have a Mewtwo, Mega Man, and maybe some others (I'll have to dig through my stuff later lol) Smash character, so I could easily have a whole Smash shelf going on if I cop a few of these some time down the line. $12 or whatever is an okay price for figs that look this good (even if they aren't articulated), ask any collector.

Last edited:

Jigglypumped

Smash Cadet
  • I'd be fine with Sakurai not making the next game.
    I don't care if he's the man who got me into gaming, or if it's disrespectful to suggest such a thing, I want to see someone else have a crack at masterminding the next Smash...

• ...Especially if it means less irritating gimmick stages.
    Yes, we have the Omega versions but since they're all basically featureless Final Destination clones I'm having to make a choice between suffering irritating gimmicks such as Flying Man, side scrolling stages and Yellow Devil or playing on a boring flat surface Final Destination clone. I guess I could turn off stages with these hazards, but that is the majority of the 3DS stages.

Surely there should be some more middle ground? Brawl and Melee never felt this irritating stage wise.
I agree with both of these.

A different director could mean a more varied roster, but on the downside it could mean fewer solo features. That isn't so bad since usually Smash games end up just being used to battle others as opposed to constantly doing solo modes. I'd prefer having more characters and stages than having modes like Smash Run, Trophy Rush, or even All Stars.

The stages thing is a problem for me this time, too. I think Omega modes are a little too extreme. They didn't ALL have to be just flat stages; they could have kept some of the platforms and just removed stage hazards (for example, the Yellow Devil and Flying Man like you said). SSB4 is the first game my fiance has played, and he mostly just likes the Omega forms because he doesn't like or isn't yet comfortable with the hazards. Because of this, he hardly ever plays on stages that have platforms (sometimes I try to throw in Battlefield or Yoshi's Island), so he's missing out on the full Smash experience in my opinion.

Last edited:

Sun & Moon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedNes30
3DS FC
3411-1835-2138
- I absolutly cannot understand why some people still belive that there will be "super secret characters" that are exclusive to the WiiU version. Sakurai already said the rosters will be the same. I almost feel sorry for them...as they will get VERY disapointed after the direct.

Almost.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
- I absolutly cannot understand why some people still belive that there will be "super secret characters" that are exclusive to the WiiU version. Sakurai already said the rosters will be the same. I almost feel sorry for them...as they will get VERY disapointed after the direct.

Almost.
I liked your post because your icon and signature are just too adorable.

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
I don't like Smash Run.
There are simply not enough variables like in Kirby Air Ride city trial.

Beyond the characters (Kirby, Metaknight, Dedede) you have a host of air machines to find (including the legendaries) as well as other players trying to destroy you and a wider variety of interesting events (holy **** Dynablade).

Then there's also more unique and minigames at the end of ability collecting. All in all Smash Run is a pale imitation and I prefer the challenge of event mode.

Also, target blast is really, really lame and just feels like a less fun version of home run contest.

Last edited:

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Not that it's unpopular (I honestly doubt it is), but

I absolutely LOVE the crowd cheers that play after the character selection is finalized AND when the stage is selected.

For goddamn ONCE, it actually sounds like a real crowd. It really does get me hyped for matches.

Here, for those who don't know what I'm talking about:

At the 0:16 mark and then ten seconds later.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Almost.
Agreed.

It doesn't mean some can't be first introduced on the Wii U then immediately available on the 3DS in some way. Still the same roster in the end, in that case. Personally I doubt it due to how little time he could've had to work on more characters, so I'm expecting DLC for both. I don't believe the 3DS roster is the true final one at all.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
-Smash Run is a lot of fun and might be my favourite single player mode, though it does have shortcomings.

-There should be a lobby in With Anyone that allows custom builds, called "For Science".

-Rosalina is not broken (not right now anyway), and people need to stop saying she is because it's made Rosalina players feel they have to downplay her strengths and exaggerate her weaknesses to justify playing their character. As a result, discussion on the character has become kinda repetitive, because everyone is hung up on whether or not she is broken. I'd rather we just discuss the character on her own merits and try to discover new things about her, rather than worrying about if she is "too good" or not.

-I think Mario has more potential than people are letting on.

-I'm torn on how Little Mac plays. I just had a lot of fun facing a friend of a friend who's talented with him. So I more than understand that he isn't STRICTLY a noob character. However, on the other hand, he undeniably has a lot of aspects in his design that really do reward carelessness and lack of observation, and overall unskillful play. Which is why he is so prevalent in For Glory.

D

Deleted member

-Rosalina is not broken (not right now anyway), and people need to stop saying she is because it's made Rosalina players feel they have to downplay her strengths and exaggerate her weaknesses to justify playing their character. As a result, discussion on the character has become kinda repetitive, because everyone is hung up on whether or not she is broken. I'd rather we just discuss the character on her own merits and try to discover new things about her, rather than worrying about if she is "too good" or not.
I partly feel this way about Little Mac. I stopped playing him both because he became the popular bandwagon character and now everyone hates him just because of how abuseable he is in the For Glory environment, and because I honestly wasn't really that good. Point still stands though.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
In Rosalina's case, I definitely understand the worries people have, as if you were to say she is the most likely to end up OP after the game has been around a long time, I would agree with you.

However, I don't even think we are close to that stage, assuming it is inevitable. So I wish people would not make it the focus of so much discussion.

It's especially bothersome because when I point out just how good her strengths are, people who think she isn't broken say "you just want everyone to think ur waifu is the best". But when I highlight the limitations of her design that balance her strengths out, people say stuff like "you just don't want everyone to hate her like everyone hated Meta Knight in Brawl". And it gets irritating.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I actually like Ridley's role because he was implemented in a beyond unique way that was never done before. Flying Men is nothing like this either. He's "almost a playable character". I'm not going to say he'll be DLC(and to be frank, if he isn't, I wouldn't even be mad) later either. If he is, cool. If he isn't, not mad.

AGreatProcrastinator

Smash Apprentice
As far as DLC after Mewtwo goes, I want all newcomers and no more veterans. If cutting Wolf, Lucas, Snake and ICs means we get some brand new characters added then I'm all for it.

Tyril132

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tyril132
3DS FC
4957-3662-2945
As far as DLC after Mewtwo goes, I want all newcomers and no more veterans. If cutting Wolf, Lucas, Snake and ICs means we get some brand new characters added then I'm all for it.
After reading all the "omg character X stole character Y's spot" posts, this is probably one of the most genuinely unpopular opinions I've read... but I think I agree with you.

ShenanigansFox

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4554-0285-0683
For Glory Omega Only mode is a step backwards for the series and for competitive play. It just causes people to pick projectile spammers, run away and draw the game out as long as possible spamming them.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
-- I don't want no Pokemon or Mario DLC
-- I don't care for Mewtwo coming back to smash
-- Fire emblem is not over rep
-- Too many Mario characters
-- Little mac is over used
-- I hate when people want 3rd party characters over 1st party characters

Last edited:

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
For Glory Omega Only mode is a step backwards for the series and for competitive play. It just causes people to pick projectile spammers, run away and draw the game out as long as possible spamming them.
I wish they'd at least allow Battlefield or even regular Prism Tower in FG. So many characters do better on BF than FD.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I really hope they only add characters that are actual characters for now on. Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B, Duck Hunt, and Wii Fit Trainer are pushing it as is.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
You know what went missing from Melee that Brawl and 3DS failed to encapsulate, but I'm glad is back in Wii U?

No, not advanced techniques. Not faster gameplay (though it would be nice).

CHAOS.

You just can't get good chaos with four players and Pokeballs/assist trophies like you can in Melee. Nothing beat getting shot in SUPER SUDDEN DEATH, KOed, and then having to scramble for a Poke-ball during your five seconds of invulnerability in hopes you can regain some stage control. Brawl limited the spawn rate, and 3DS did it even more so, but while I imagine Wii U will still limit said rate, 8 player smash seemed to answer my prayers. I don't think any other game comes close to Smash in being able to participate in so much mayhem, and I'm thankful Wii U will finally be answering that after 13 years.

the8thark

Smash Lord
I really hope they only add characters that are actual characters for now on. Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B, Duck Hunt, and Wii Fit Trainer are pushing it as is.
When you're fighting a boss that is a giant floating hand, the legitimacy of the playable characters pales in comparison.

ShenanigansFox

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4554-0285-0683
I wish they'd at least allow Battlefield or even regular Prism Tower in FG. So many characters do better on BF than FD.
My Dongular Kong just cant compete on FG projectile spam. Need platforms to really use him to his full ability but nintendo thinks everyone does fox only final destination no items.

ZSS is a dumb character. ZSS should have never been added, she was pure fan service.

ShenanigansFox

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4554-0285-0683
-I'm torn on how Little Mac plays. I just had a lot of fun facing a friend of a friend who's talented with him. So I more than understand that he isn't STRICTLY a noob character. However, on the other hand, he undeniably has a lot of aspects in his design that really do reward carelessness and lack of observation, and overall unskillful play. Which is why he is so prevalent in For Glory.
I feel the same way about shiek and ZSS. you can just spam Ftilt and needles with sheik or taser and dash attack/grab with ZSS while being fairly terrible at the game and still be frustrating to deal with. They gave some characters just far too many tools. At least the bad little macs dont know how to abuse super armor on his smashes, the ****ty ZSS and sheiks dont need knowledge of the character to use their ridiculous recovery.

GrandHc

Smash Rookie
I want this game to be played competitively more than melee..........but I want a melee physics button.

the8thark

Smash Lord
That comparison doesn't make sense.
My point was this:
"Does it matter if it's a plumber or a racing car driver or a fitness instructor or a robot on wheels that is fighting a giant hand in space?"
It's a giant hand in space, something not plausible in 95% of game IPs. So having characters with different professions (some fighters and some not) fighting this giant hand just makes the game even more wacky and cool.

You talk about the characters not fitting into a sensible IP and forget to mention the giant hand in space that doesn't fit into anything at all.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
My point was this:
"Does it matter if it's a plumber or a racing car driver or a fitness instructor or a robot on wheels that is fighting a giant hand in space?"
It's a giant hand in space, something not plausible in 95% of game IPs. So having characters with different professions (some fighters and some not) fighting this giant hand just makes the game even more wacky and cool.

You talk about the characters not fitting into a sensible IP and forget to mention the giant hand in space that doesn't fit into anything at all.
I'm talking about characters being actual characters. Mario is an actual character, the Wii Fit Trainer and Mr. Game & Watch aren't. She's just a random fitness instructor and he's just a fusion of the sprites from the old handheld games.

D

Deleted member

• I like the idea of Ridley's boss fight, but I don't think I'll like it that much while playing with 3 friends. In the Direct, it looked fine because nobody attacks Ridley but Ike. However, since all of my friends and I wanted Ridley to be playable and are looking forward to fighting alongside him, I feel like everybody will repeatedly body Ridley so he barely has time to attack since somebody else will just beat him up enough that he will fall down and switch sides repeatedly.

• You should be able to customize what posts appear on the Miiverse stage, and it shouldn't be limited to the Smash Bros. community. It would be amazing to have a whole collage of all the games I've played; to see Toon Link making a funny face with his Mask and Outset outfit on from one of my WWHD posts, to see DK and Diddy riding in a Minecart from Tropical Freeze, etc. But instead we're limited to pre-selected Miiverse drawings that I may not enjoy. I only like about a quarter of the "popular" posts in the SSB community.

• I don't see the hype for Mewtwo. :troll:

Last edited by a moderator:

the8thark

Smash Lord
I'm talking about characters being actual characters. Mario is an actual character, the Wii Fit Trainer and Mr. Game & Watch aren't. She's just a random fitness instructor and he's just a fusion of the sprites from the old handheld games.
Actually they are characters. Just ones made for SSB with no prior games they have been in. Seems weird I know to make up characters for SSB when SSB is based on old nostalgia characters. But Sakurai wanted to represent series with no characters so he had to make them specifically for SSB.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Actually they are characters. Just ones made for SSB with no prior games they have been in. Seems weird I know to make up characters for SSB when SSB is based on old nostalgia characters. But Sakurai wanted to represent series with no characters so he had to make them specifically for SSB.
I never thought of it that way, but that's a really good point.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...Wii Fit Trainer is a full character. She's just available as a male version too. Mr. Game & Watch is a combination of them, though.

Duck Hunt is too, but a combination of multiple ones, which is why it's not called "Duck Hunt Dog". Duo sometimes, since the Dog and Duck are the most notable, but they're no less characters in a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom