• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
Well, this thread is for unpopular SMASH 4 opinions, not really Project M.

Not attacking your opinion but I don't think it belongs here.
My eyes accidentally skipped over the "4". I have pretty bad vision (almost practically blind without my glasses), so my bad.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Really Unpopular Opinion:

I hate Project M. In my eyes, it shredded Brawl's identity and turned it into "Melee 2." To me, it wasn't "Brawl Re-balancing" like it said it was. It was "Take Everything You Liked About Brawl and Throw it Out the Window!"
As others have said, it can easily become flame-bait, especially considering the large following it has over here. So yeah, try to avoid bringing up Project M.

You can flame, but do it in the right places, is all. Now you know.
Don't start give them ideas. (>_>)
-------------------------------------------------------------

To stay on-topic, I have an unpopular opinion to add - I'm extremely happy about Dr. Mario.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
As long as we're posting reminders:

RULES:
1) No criticizing another poster's opinions (both directly and indirectly). When you come across an opinion you don't agree with either ignore it, address it in another thread, or take it to PMs.

2) No engaging other posters in debate especially if it's likely to derail the thread or promote flaming/trolling.

3) Opinions that are intentionally made to flame/troll other posters are not allowed. Example: "Anyone who likes Mario is stupid."

4) Posts that have nothing to do with Smash 4 WiiU/3DS will be treated as spam. Keep in mind this includes unnecessary one liners as well as picture and gif responses. Example: "Super Mario 64 is the best game ever."

5) This is a less severe issue but try to post opinions that are actually unpopular. There's obviously a lot of grey area in terms of what constitutes as popular or not, but if you see the same opinion being posted repeatedly chances are it's not as unpopular as you think. Example: "Mario's mustache is awesome."

If you catch anyone breaking any of these rules please DO NOT RESPOND TO IT. Instead just hit the "report" button and a moderator will deal with the issue as soon as possible. This would be a huge help in terms of keeping this thread clean and civil. :)
The bolded one has been especially problematic lately.

If your main purpose for posting in this thread is to reply/have lengthy debates with others, you're doing something wrong.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
People constantly acting as anti-character prophets (Especially Big 3) are toxic as a whole to the community, people are entitled to having hope and wanting their favorite characters, and looking for reasons their favorite characters could make it in.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
  • That said I'm not overly convinced Lucina should be a separate slot character from Marth when Alph's not his own thing. Sakurai's flimsy justification seems to be able to apply just as well to her as it should to Alph and the Koopalings.
At this point, I think Sakurai did it just so that there would be easy choices for people to cut in the next game. I like Lucina as a character but she's so hilariously expendable that there's no way she'll ever appear in another Smash. I believe this explains Dark Pit's +1 ness too and I will be genuinely surprised if he's back for Smash 5.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
At this point, I think Sakurai did it just so that there would be easy choices for people to cut in the next game. I like Lucina as a character but she's so hilariously expendable that there's no way she'll ever appear in another Smash. I believe this explains Dark Pit's +1 ness too and I will be genuinely surprised if he's back for Smash 5.
If KI games come and Dark Pit is a recurring major character, he may not be removed. Lucina is probably going to be a two-shot character who will left out for a new lord or main character.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
I dunno about Ness. He's a vet going back to the good ole days. I do agree the Mother series only needs 1 character.

While Brawl cut many of the expendable characters, but they were replaced with more expendable characters, llike our clone corner friends. :/

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I dunno about Ness. He's a vet going back to the good ole days. I do agree the Mother series only needs 1 character.

While Brawl cut many of the expendable characters, but they were replaced with more expendable characters, llike our clone corner friends. :/
Erm, the word was "+1ness" as in dryness or wellness. He wasn't referring to Ness the character.

(I understand, it took me a few minutes to get it. (>_>)

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Playing Uprising is on my to-do list but I know very little about the game in general other than Palutena apparently being a huge troll. Is there realistic hope that Dark Pit could have mostly his own moves like Ness/Lucas, or is it more likely to be a Melee Mario/Dr. Mario situation?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
3) Opinions that are intentionally made to flame/troll other posters are not allowed. Example: "Anyone who likes Mario is stupid."
Here's an unpopular opinion: People getting so pissed at Sakurai and questioning his worth as a game designer over Smash 4's roster are pathetic.

The roster is, all things considered, perfectly fine.
All this circlejerking over the "big 3" is kind of embarrassing.
Well, here's an opinion that will also break Rule #3 like these two quoted posts.

MODS ON THESE BOARDS NEED TO LEARN TO INFRACT THESE POSTS INSTEAD OF LIKING THEM DESPITE HOW INAPPROPRIATE THEY ARE!

@Opossum @ Fatmanonice Fatmanonice @Kikwi-Kiwi

The reason I do this callout is I am almost 100% sure super mod or admin took my ability to report away (yet Aerodrome gets away with calling me "********"), my ability probably to contact forum support is likely taken away along with that (I know the former because I've had a few mods test it for me. Apparently I report people for hating on competitive play and players too much, so I have been censored by the same site that had its' head admin [now owner] censored Brawl tournaments and stop promoting them that didn't follow their designated Brawl ruleset, and that had a Melee Back Room leader who physically abused and assaulted multiple smashers).

So that's left me with one option: calling them out publicly. So I thought, "hey, what mods better to call out than the mods who liked this post=???" I did this regardless of relationships because I want to be unbiased like that.

I mean, the rules exist for the reason. You guys sure haven't been kind towards me with enforcing them even when I had legitimate complaints, yet this kind of clearly "I hate these people for no reason" is allowed=???

That's clearly a double standard and it MAKES ME SICK!!!

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Between Lucas and Wolf, I hope for Lucas's return more.

I think the Ice Climbers would be better as a solo character (Popo) with costume changes to the other character (Nana).

Tetra is my most wanted Zelda newcomer.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
-I think the community here on the Smash 4 boards is generally terrible towards competitive Melee and Brawl players (in mostly different and yet simultaneously awful cliques, although there's a lot of people here who hate all smash competitive communities, scenes, and heck, even all previous smash games) and I hope it isn't a reflection of the future tournament scene.

This is especially true in non-competitive smash players who assume they know things better than actual competitive players about competitive play. There are people on here who just bash Melee and Brawl about things they don't even know, and they get likes (again, someone, anyone, please, on the staff, get rid of likes. They are the bane of my existence, and they promote bad posting, trolling, and being a jerk... just read my above post).

For example, I keep reading "Only Fox mains win major tournaments in Melee." There's only been 1 Fox main to win a major tournament with the top 5 or so best players in the world there (that's my definition of a "major tournament"), and that's Mango, aka the hands down best Melee player. In fact, major tournaments have been won by mains of roughly 7 to 9 characters and somewhere around 14 players. That's pretty diverse.

With that said, there's nothing wrong with not knowing things. When you don't know stuff and you want to know stuff, ask. I ask A LOT of questions. Sometimes too many questions. :laugh: The point of a forum is the communicate with other people and to learn from/teach other people. Don't be afraid to ask. Lastly on this issue, someone says something and you doubt it, QUESTION IT, and seek out people in the proper forums who ACTUALLY KNOW STUFF!!!

-While I am happy Nintendo of America is supporting the Melee scene, I fear they'll throw it down the stairs when Smash 3DS and Smash WiiU comes out so that the new game can sell, all sacrificing the lives and exposure of the Melee, Project M, and Brawl competitive scenes. In other words, they push out the "old" and bring in the "new", and tell the "old" they're not welcome anymore.

If Nintendo of America attempt to do this, I hope we start another organized protest, and I hope competitive Smash 3DS and WiiU players join it.

If the Smash 3DS and WiiU players join it, there will be peace. If not... I think the Smash 4 competitive scene will be forcefully divorced from the rest of the scene (it will be the Smash 4 competitive's scene choice and thus their fault), Nintendo boycotted, and it will all end with nearly all of the people who stuck with just Smash 4 quitting. A new Smash 4 competitive scene will then rise, and all issues will be fixed. #MonadoVisionIfCrapGoesBad

-That being said, the Smash tournament scene should be headed by smashers. Alex Strife, Jugglyguy, Scar, Prog, Toronto Joe, Wobbles, MacD, Toph, Crimson Blur :kirbymelee: (NEVER FORGET!), Sheridan, etc. are the kinds of people who have been great leaders in the past, and those are the kinds of great leaders we will need for the future to help run our Smash tournaments. You know, the super hype crazy smash fans, who are passionate, run tournaments properly, include others, build tournaments and the scene, and are continually helpful towards building up the community kind of folks. These are what we need as our competitive tournament scene leaders. If people trust these TO's and other community leaders, there is NO WAY the previously mentioned situation will happen.

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
There's no actual "Big 3". There's a big 2 of Ridley and Mewtwo, and K Rool lives on a lower tier.

WrappedInBlack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PyroJayBlack
3DS FC
1736-3220-0909
I like Falcondorf...
Mega Man is the only newcomer I don't care about...
I like how Smash 3 and 4 have many versions of the same song, that's what a theme is for...
I like Brawl more than Melee... (but I like Project M more than Brawl)
I loved Subspace Emissary...
I never liked Mewtwo...
Once I unlock Lucina in Smash 4 I'll probably never use Marth again...
People who actually want cuts are terrible...
People who hate options are equally terrible...
I believe that Sonic should be the first third part series to get more than one rep. Why? Mario and Sonic series exists for one.
I hate how people always use bias as their means to saying who should be playable... I try to use logic... unless I'm trolling.
That said, I honestly don't care who's on the roster as any character can be a good character... If you don't suck...

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I feel that people who say the roster sucks just because their favorite character didn't get in shouldn't get the game in the first place.
I agree. People who voted in the 2008 Presidential Election but didn't vote for President Obama as President shouldn't be allowed to vote! They didn't vote for the guy who won so therefore they are wrong regardless of all logic ever.

Mew2King should quit Brawl because he dislikes the fact Mewtwo was cut in Brawl. How dare he disagree with our Lord and Savior Sakurai!

In fact, he should give back all of his tournament winnings for Brawl because of that.

Mew2King should also never play Smash 4 for saying that Ridley should be playable if Ridley isn't playable in Smash 4!
People who don't respect Sakurai's decisions annoy me. They should be grateful that he's made another game.
Agreed. How dare people be mad about random tripping, the SSE, Brawl being made to be an anti-competitive smash game, Brawl's loading issues, changes in characters they like, decisions they disagree with in gameplay, or that Sakurai is the director for another Smash game after Brawl's development.

We should all be lining up to Sakurai's shoes. He's the Alpha, the Omega, the Beginning and End. He's our Savior, our Lover, Redeemer, and Friend.

Last edited:

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
Bowser Jr. looks EXTREMELY fun to play as. The Koopa Clown Copter Car whatever the heck it's called has a lot of goofy and rad looking moves as seen in the leaked footage where he fights Shulk, and I'll be a monkey's uncle if his 7 other alts are not the 7 Koopalings. Really looking forward to occasionally playing him considering I and many other people on here are gearing up to switch their mains to one of the newcomers like Mega Man or Pac-Man. I'll still get a kick out of playing as him and WFT as a gag against less skilled friends.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I hate how the community has become more focused on being right than actually supporting things.

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
There's no actual "Big 3". There's a big 2 of Ridley and Mewtwo, and K Rool lives on a lower tier.
Agreed. Really the only reason why K.Rool would be a character is as a fan-favorite character, as he hasn't been relevant in a really long time.

Ridley and Mewtwo are still relevant as well as being fan-favorites.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Here's an unpopular reality for you schadenfreude enthusiasts: anyone who trolls the fanbases of disconfirmed characters a week from now will get warned and/or infracted. (technically, anyone who trolls them at all will get warned/infracted, but I'll be keeping an extra close eye out for violators moving forward)
Can you start on this scrub=???
Opinion is scary:
I can't wait for the reactions to the big 3 not being in the roster
(not like anyone liked him anyways, not like he plays smash games, not like he ever respected people's opinions, and not like he was ever nice to fans of popular characters.)

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
I agree. People who voted in the 2008 Presidential Election but didn't vote for President Obama as President shouldn't be allowed to vote! They didn't vote for the guy who won so therefore they are wrong regardless of all logic ever.

Mew2King should quit Brawl because he dislikes the fact Mewtwo was cut in Brawl. How dare he disagree with our Lord and Savior Sakurai!

In fact, he should give back all of his tournament winnings for Brawl because of that.

Mew2King should also never play Smash 4 for saying that Ridley should be playable if Ridley isn't playable in Smash 4!

Agreed. How dare people be mad about random tripping, the SSE, Brawl being made to be an anti-competitive smash game, Brawl's loading issues, changes in characters they like, decisions they disagree with in gameplay, or that Sakurai is the director for another Smash game after Brawl's development.

We should all be lining up to Sakurai's shoes. He's the Alpha, the Omega, the Beginning and End. He's our Savior, our Lover, Redeemer, and Friend.
I'm sorry for expressing my opinion? Get off your high horse and deal with the fact that people have views different from your own.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Warning Received
I'm sorry for expressing my opinion? Get off your high horse and deal with the fact that people have views different from your own.
You mean your opinion meant to tell people who disagree with Sakurai on his roster choices and who think the roster is bad to essentially screw off=???

Yeah no, that's not cool to post here. You can't just say "all these people suck" without criticism. People like myself who defend people and their right to opinion exist to tell you that this isn't a thread for bullying, it's a thread for constructively sharing your thoughts and opinions without insulting others.

Don't think because the thread rules make you totally immune from criticism when you clearly and openly break the rules to bully other people. Me and other people with actual decency won't allow it, despite the fact some mods do (and like comments similar to this).

So why don't you stop bullying people like that. And how about the people who supported your post by liking your post stop supporting the bullying of people for having an opinion different from yours=???

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
You mean your opinion meant to tell people who disagree with Sakurai on his roster choices and who think the roster is bad to essentially screw off=???

Yeah no, that's not cool to post here. You can't just say "all these people suck" without criticism. People like myself who defend people and their right to opinion exist to tell you that this isn't a thread for bullying, it's a thread for constructively sharing your thoughts and opinions without insulting others.

Don't think because the thread rules make you totally immune from criticism when you clearly and openly break the rules to bully other people. Me and other people with actual decency won't allow it, despite the fact some mods do (and like comments similar to this).
Excuse me? My intention has NEVER been to insult, bully, or criticize anyone. If I've come across that way, I apologize. I'm not going to start an argument with you, but you are blowing things way out of proportion.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
-Clones are indeed awesome and actually give us more roster choices that aren't basically "just the same character again". Because they're literally different. Not much, but enough to make me happy.

-Duck Hunt Dog is a really awesome addition.

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
Except K rool IS part of the big 3 no matter how much you dislike that, that's not even an opinion, it's fact.
This thread is for unpopular opinions. I don't expect people to agree, but that's my opinion. K Rool wasn't in DKCR, the only relevant thing that franchise has done this century.

If we're just going by sheer amount of conversation these characters stir up, Ridley and K. Rool are a magnitude apart. It's why I have a difficult time putting K. Rool in the same "Big 3" popularity bracket as Ridley. The crocodile is second place, but it's a distant one.

bigtwo.jpg

Ridley is the king of character requests from the West. I'd be happy just to see K. Rool make it into a Donkey Kong game, at this point. After that hurdle, he can worry about Smash Bros.

(And yes, I use the one light-colored skin available on these boards!)

DigbyTheDog

Smash Rookie
My opinion that I assume is unpopular: The leaked roster is final. Maybe there will be DLC, but for now, what we saw, is what we get (which i'm fine with!!!)

My opinion that I assume is unpopular: The leaked roster is final. Maybe there will be DLC, but for now, what we saw, is what we get (which i'm fine with!!!)
I agree entirely. 48 is already more than I was expecting, so I'm pretty happy about it apart from some of the cuts. It seems like people who aren't satisfied are looking for clues to more characters and I'd just hate to see them get themselves disappointed.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I LIKE IKE!!

I'm very satisfied with the game.. Ridley or no Ridley. *Braces for cover*

DigbyTheDog

Smash Rookie
I agree entirely. 48 is already more than I was expecting, so I'm pretty happy about it apart from some of the cuts. It seems like people who aren't satisfied are looking for clues to more characters and I'd just hate to see them get themselves disappointed.
Yeah! I mean, don't get me wrong, the more the merrier, but it definitely doesn't seem like there'll be anymore to me.
That said, I think the Mario Kart 8 DLC will sell really well, and Nintendo will make note and start doing it more often, including smash bros.

TopSecretZone

Smash Cadet
Doc Louis should be a playable character. Don't even have a logical argument for this, just think he would be a fun character and more than just a slower, stronger Mac clone.

ShyGuy16

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Juliansg16
3DS FC
0516-7704-2697
Even though I'm happy for the people who enjoy him, I was kind of hoping Lucario wouldn't show back up. I understand that X and Y gave him a little extra recognition, I was just never really impressed with the 'Mon and wanted to see him replaced.
Also the Ice Climbers possibly not returning doesn't phase me at all. Although I am sad for the smashers who enjoy playing as these two if this proves true.

TopSecretZone

Smash Cadet
Bicycle Final Smash?
Maybe. Leave tire treads on the fighters for a while. That or something involving knocking chocolate out of his hand and he goes ballistic.

I just know his win taunt would be him out of breath while raising an arm saying "I still got it, baby!"

Also he'd give the other fighters pointers while beating on them and encourage them to do better.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If we're just going by sheer amount of conversation these characters stir up, Ridley and K. Rool are a magnitude apart. It's why I have a difficult time putting K. Rool in the same "Big 3" popularity bracket as Ridley. The crocodile is second place, but it's a distant one.
The Ridley thread often has people who spam, and there's really a lot of spam from the same people. There's people who post there about 20 times a day, and they are quite numerous. It's so bad the mods hand out multiple infractions and/or warnings there on a daily basis.

The K. Rool thread is a lot more civilized. I almost never see infractions or warnings handed out there.

I say that and I frequent both on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom