• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
While I despise Dark Pit and Dr. Mario's inclusion, I think there's more good in the SSB4 roster than bad. All the newcomers save for Dark Pit are really deserving in one way or another and they excite me more than the newcomers of Brawl did for the most part.

NinjaWaddleDee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NinjaWaddleDee
- I don't give a crap about Shulk, AT ALL.
- I never cared for Wolf.
- I never cared for Lucas.
- I don't like Lucario, way too overrated as a Pokémon.
- Pac-man is meh.
- I wish both games were releasing at the same time, or Wii U first. Sorry, I just think that the 3ds version coming out first kind of cannibalizes Wii U sales. :p That's just me though, the 3ds version is still TONS of fun! I just want the Wii U version more.

In actuality I really LOVE this game though. :)

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
-I hate when people say: "I will play with Bowser Jr." and then they select Morton or Larry, for example.
-Palutena's Taunt is not suggestive...
-Dr. Mario's Taunts are really boring.
-Everybody looks pretty good or at least decent, except for Zelda and Little Mac.
-I love the Omega (Final Destination) forms, much better than Battlefield.

Anthuhny

Smash Cadet
I would trade Dark Pit, Pit, Palutena, Dr. Mario, Lucina, ROB, Duck Hunt Dog, Jigglypuff, Greninja, and Toon Link for Mewtwo and a bucket of pucks

spid3y916

Smash Cadet
-Though being a Dr. Mario fan and being really glad of his return, I would agree with others in saying he should have been an alt. costume. However this is only if Mario was reverted to remove FLUUD or incorporated it into the Mario Tornado. Also Dr. Luigi and Nurse Peach.
-If the Koopalings could be alt. skins for Bowser Jr. and Alph for Olimar, Lucina should have just been an alt. for Marth and Dark Pit for Pit.
-Lucario should have been replace with a Gen II, III, or IV Pokemon
-I'm not really upset about the lose of Lucas, Wolf, Snake, or IC. IC I did play for a while, but that's about it. You have to remember that IC was added to represent the NES era of Nintendo and Duck Hunt Dog couldn't be a more better replacement to represent that era since his game was bundled with Super Mario Bros.
-I don't want to see Ridley or Mewtwo as playable characters. In fact, I think it would be hilarious if they were bosses to mess with the Ridley/Mewtwo fanbase. (Going to get so much hate for this.)
-I think this will be the last Smash Bros game. With how much is going for this game with it having two versions, introducing many more characters (some being third party mascots), and having amiibo being created for this game first, I think it has done enough in the end.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I never cared for Rosalina. She's one of my least-favorite Mario characters.

I don't like Lucario or Greninja either. They're both overrated and I would've traded them both for Mewtwo in a heartbeat. I'm not a genwunner either. Those two just happen to be some of my least favorite Pokemon of their respective gens.

While I have no dislike for them, I'm not hyped at all to play as Duck Hunt Dog, Villager, or Little Mac. I'm neutral towards them and have no issue with their inclusion. In general, I just don't care about a character if I'm not a fan of their home series.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Here's one for you: Sakurai was completely justified in adding Doc, Dark Pit, and Lucina.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Dr. Mario - Representative from one of Nintendo's biggest puzzle franchises. Dr. Mario has seen releases on both the Wii and Wii U.

Dark Pit - Easy clone (literally) from a critically-acclaimed action game. Before everyone was onboard with the 3DS, Kid Icarus: Uprising brought attention to a system passed over at the time.

Lucina - Fan favorite character from Awakening, another critically acclaimed 3DS game. Originally a skin, but a character had to be cut in dev. (according to Sakurai), so it would have been an easy task to include Lucina. She's very similar to Marth, and only differs in model, voice, and victory animation.

Sakurai has also stated that 6 clones = One newcomer. So all the new clones took half the time of a single newcomer, so it's an easy way to buff up the roster.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Alph should've been his own character before Dr. Mario and especially Dark Pit. There's no excuse why he had to stay an alt costume while the rest received playable status. Even Sakurai said that he doesn't use the Rock Pikmin, which, would be an easy addition to differentiate Alph from Olimar. Of course there's other minor things that could change but the Pikmin series should've received a newcomer before a series like Kid Icarus receives two newcomers in one installment. Clone or not, I call bias.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
- I'm perfectly fine with Dark Pit and Dr. Mario. I'm not even upset about clones at this point.
- Ice Climbers are the only characters I'm glad to see gone from any Smash Bros game.
- I prefer Lucario over Mewtwo, and I don't even like Lucario all that much.
- Shulk looks boring to me, even with the whole arts gimmick.
- Ridley never had a chance the second that shadow appeared.
- Luigi's B should have been the Poltergust 3000. Come on, that thing can already shoot fire.

Boofer

Smash Ace
While I despise Dark Pit and Dr. Mario's inclusion, I think there's more good in the SSB4 roster than bad. All the newcomers save for Dark Pit are really deserving in one way or another and they excite me more than the newcomers of Brawl did for the most part.
I think one contributing factor to the mass disappointment in the roster is the fact that Sakurai only leaves a few "heavy-hitters" as surprise/secret characters. He did it with Brawl too, but basically all of the huge/cool characters but two were officially revealed already, and they're starters. He hasn't really been saving too many unique characters as unlockables, so there aren't many good surprises.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
- I would rather this be the last Smash Bros than to have the next one on a handheld again.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
- I would rather this be the last Smash Bros than to have the next one on a handheld again.
I agree; however, I think it should be that the main smash series stays on console where as there could be spin offs on the handhelds that are made by different teams. Similar to Uncharted: Golden Abyss

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
-I honestly hate Duck Hunt.
-Pac-man's inclusion made me cry...of sorrow.
-I thought Palutena would be the most broken character in the history of Smash once she was revealed.
-Speaking of her, I'm salty I lost a bet with my friend because I said she wouldn't be in Smash.
-While I wanted Galacta Knight as an alt, MK's galacta recolor is really nice.
-People who are against the Koopalings as Bowser Jr. alts need to shut up.
-I am glad the Ice Climbers were cut.
-I honestly could not be paid to care for anything Mother related.
-I think Mewtwo is overrated, but I would not have been against his inclusion.
-I actually am glad ROB returned.
-Lucina is a totally valid slot choice.
-Dark Pit is the most stupid excuse for a character I have ever seen.
-I actually really like Greninja.
-Charizard still having rock smash was disappointing.
-No Dry Bowser alt is a huge goof up.
-I like scrolling stages.
-Nintendo's hatred of making shiny Pokemon playable is disheartening.
-I feel like an idiot expecting Ridley to be playable...
-Little Mac having 16 alts is completely OK.
-Peach > Rosalina.
-I'd rather have Demise over Ganondorf...or at least as an alt.
-I don't think Fierce Deity Link is that cool.
-Wolf's exclusion didn't phase me in the slightest.
-While I miss Snake, I can say his exclusion is 100% justified.
-I never got the hype behind Paper Mario.
-Bowser's color swaps are slightly disappointing. At least he still has Kingpin Bowser.
-I'm torn between whether I like or hate Miis.
-I think custom moves are amazing.
-The 3DS version of smash will be more popular than the WiiU version.
-I actually preferred Brawl over Melee.
-I want Wario to only have his classic outfit, but alas, tis the dice.
-I never got the appeal of Paint-brush Bowser Jr.
-Skull Kid would've been a better choice over Toon Link.
-I was vehemently opposed to anything Gematsu related.
-I am sad there is no Wizard Mii.
-I don't think Shulk should've been in Smash.
-I wanted Jigglypuff to be cut.
-Ganondorf not using his sword is still stupid.
-Black Mage from Final Fantasy would've been an awesome character.
-I do not, nor ever will, understand the hype for Bandanna Dee.
-I hoped Dixie wouldn't make it.
-Zoroark was doomed to be a pokeball Pokemon.
-I'm sad Shrek isn't in Smash.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
-I honestly hate Duck Hunt.
-Pac-man's inclusion made me cry...of sorrow.
-I thought Palutena would be the most broken character in the history of Smash once she was revealed.
-Speaking of her, I'm salty I lost a bet with my friend because I said she wouldn't be in Smash.
-While I wanted Galacta Knight as an alt, MK's galacta recolor is really nice.
-People who are against the Koopalings as Bowser Jr. alts need to shut up.
-I am glad the Ice Climbers were cut.
-I honestly could not be paid to care for anything Mother related.
-I think Mewtwo is overrated, but I would not have been against his inclusion.
-I actually am glad ROB returned.
-Lucina is a totally valid slot choice.
-Dark Pit is the most stupid excuse for a character I have ever seen.
-I actually really like Greninja.
-Charizard still having rock smash was disappointing.
-No Dry Bowser alt is a huge goof up.
-I like scrolling stages.
-Nintendo's hatred of making shiny Pokemon playable is disheartening.
-I feel like an idiot expecting Ridley to be playable...
-Little Mac having 16 alts is completely OK.
-Peach > Rosalina.
-I'd rather have Demise over Ganondorf...or at least as an alt.
-I don't think Fierce Deity Link is that cool.
-Wolf's exclusion didn't phase me in the slightest.
-While I miss Snake, I can say his exclusion is 100% justified.
-I never got the hype behind Paper Mario.
-Bowser's color swaps are slightly disappointing. At least he still has Kingpin Bowser.
-I'm torn between whether I like or hate Miis.
-I think custom moves are amazing.
-The 3DS version of smash will be more popular than the WiiU version.
-I actually preferred Brawl over Melee.
-I want Wario to only have his classic outfit, but alas, tis the dice.
-I never got the appeal of Paint-brush Bowser Jr.
-Skull Kid would've been a better choice over Toon Link.
-I was vehemently opposed to anything Gematsu related.
-I am sad there is no Wizard Mii.
-I don't think Shulk should've been in Smash.
-I wanted Jigglypuff to be cut.
-Ganondorf not using his sword is still stupid.
-Black Mage from Final Fantasy would've been an awesome character.
-I do not, nor ever will, understand the hype for Bandanna Dee.
-I hoped Dixie wouldn't make it.
-Zoroark was doomed to be a pokeball Pokemon.
-I'm sad Shrek isn't in Smash.
"-I never got the hype behind Paper Mario."

The only hype I can tell to be particularly high was the stage POTD.

And now, the music.

But most of his support on this site increased because I was advertising it and was the OP of the support thread. I just can be very persistent and careful when I care about something.

Like, compared to the general activities on this site, I'm not sure if it's enough to be described as hype honestly. The only true hype really was the stage announcement. If you interpreted the support increasing as hype, then, it;s because I became OP of his thread :)

Tough, if you meant hype as good amount of supporters and the resons, that is another thing I don't think I should elaborate here, but anyway, it's just not another dr mario in my eyes.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
"-I never got the hype behind Paper Mario."

The only hype I can tell to be particularly high was the stage POTD.

And now, the music.

But most of his support on this site increased because I was advertising it and was the OP of the support thread. I just can be very persistent and careful when I care about something.

Like, compared to the general activities on this site, I'm not sure if it's enough to be described as hype honestly. The only true hype really was the stage announcement. If you interpreted the support increasing as hype, then, it;s because I became OP of his thread :)

Tough, if you meant hype as good amount of supporters and the resons, that is another thing I don't think I should elaborate here, but anyway, it's just not another dr mario in my eyes.
I mean, I know Paper Mario is a unique and cool character, but he was never high on my list of people I thought would make good Smash characters.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I mean, I know Paper Mario is a unique and cool character, but he was never high on my list of people I thought would make good Smash characters.
Well, that's you, but I got lots of ideas in my support experience and of course made myself to get that he would actually have even more than I tough.

Wanted list is never objective, but unfortunately, it;s the kind of characters that until you would see him in the game and try him, you could feel skepticism. That's what happened with me for the miis and until I saw them at E3, I was wondering how they would get in and be fine, but I saw why and I like it.

That was actually another reasons in itself to want him for me :)

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
-Even though I really like rosalina, I think waluigi deserved to be in this game more.
-I Love how mushroomy kingdom is back.
-No one can understand how unfathomably happy I am that Gannondorf is still a clone.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I agree; however, I think it should be that the main smash series stays on console where as there could be spin offs on the handhelds that are made by different teams. Similar to Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Hmm yeah I suppose thay could work too. Just no more of this "both versions have to be equal" bull****.
Take Sonic Unleashed for example. Did they reduce the PS3 version so the PS2 version would be on par with it? No, PS2 had lots of content reduced and even had stages taken away since it was a vastly inferior system to the PS3. And we dealt with it.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Here's an unpopular opinion for you...

• Despite the oath I keep saying that there's never any good reason to cut a veteran, there is one veteran that I wouldn't miss at all if cut in the future, and it's [Pikachu]. I hated him ever since he was first introduced, and he's not important to Nintendo's games. Just the merchandise.

Last edited:

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
I think that Shulk's moveset looks weird, although that's probably because I've never played Xenoblade and have no context for them

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
-
Here's an unpopular opinion for you...

• Despite the oath I keep saying that there's never any good reason to cut a veteran, there is one veteran that I wouldn't miss at all if cut in the future, and it's [Pikachu]. I hated him ever since he was first introduced, and he's not important to Nintendo's games. Just the merchandise.
I use him on my main team in the games.

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
-I wanted Lucas and Ninten in Smash 4. I kinda saw Ninten coming since Lucas was in SSBB (But yet he wasn't included in smash 4).

-I don't like how Dr. Mario is a character and has the same final smash as Mario. (Even though he's a clone)

-I like it that Bowser Jr. made it in.

-I'm sad the Ice Climber's aren't back even though they were annoying in brawl.

-Kinda glad Snake got cut

-I'm also sad that Wolf got cut

-I hate Fox's new voice. I liked his other voices a lot better.

Last edited:

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
- The three clones don't even bother me anymore ever since I compared it to Melee's clone overload.
- I'm completely indifferent to Ice Climbers being cut. (To be honest, I never really liked them.)
- I secretly wished Jigglypuff was cut... and Charizard back to being Pokeball status. (Were it in my power, I'd have 1 playable Pokemon rep from each region.)
- I think Mewtwo is overrated, and most of his love stems from just Gen 1 nostalgia. (Related: I think Kanto gets too much love in Smash.)
- I think Snake's exclusion in Smash 4 was 100% justified.
- I think Ridley is better off as a boss than an actual playable character, though I wouldn't be opposed if the latter happened.
- I don't understand the love for K. Rool, and was almost vehemently against his inclusion.
- I'm indifferent to Wolf being cut.
- I'm genuinely sad that we didn't get a fourth Mii class based around magic.
- I'm upset that Smash Run is 3DS exclusive.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
-I'm starting to dislike the 3DS version (more).
-The Final Destination Theme is awesome.
-The only character I want at this point is Bandana Dee (sorry Ridley).
-I don't like the Koopalings alts so much.
-I don't care about Dark Pit, but he needs a new idle animation, same with Lucina.
-Jigglypuff's iconic move in Smash is still Rest and not Sing, I hate that.
-I'm happy that Little Mac looks terrible, because I never liked the character...wow, that sounds evil XD
-I don't dislike Miis so much now.
-Shulk's voice sounds weird, and I know nothing about Xenoblade (I only like the music), it just sounds...weird.
-The new blastzones are a little annoying, but it is not terrible.
-Bowser Jr.'s roll and second jump are stupid.
-The Rogueport music is one of the best things in the game.
-If Halberd is the only Kirby Stage in the Wii U version, I will be extremely mad.
-I don't have a problem with the number of Mario characters, I would take Captain Toad.
-I don't care about the price of the DLC, just give me more characters.
-Bandana Dee.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Here's one for you: Sakurai was completely justified in adding Doc, Dark Pit, and Lucina.
Then explain Alph and the Koopalings?(and why Sakurai decided on those 3 )
Or better yet, explain the unbalanced distribution of alternate character costumes and which were turned into clones?

Also, I hear people saying that this games clones were better than Melee's.
At least Melee had no cuts or clone-ish characters prior to "extra development time"

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
- I love how people are all like "Alph should be his own character too!" yet they'll quickly turn against him and burn him at the stake for being another clone if he was his own.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
-There is nothing wrong with Clones and I think all their additions were really cool.
-The 3DS version always having the same roster as the Wii U version is the smartest move Sakurai made. Caring about the majority of fans was best in the end. Some will just have to live with it overall. I don't like cuts either, but technical limitations are kind of important when it comes to them. The rest aren't nearly as justified(or at all), at least that we know of.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
- I love how people are all like "Alph should be his own character too!" yet they'll quickly turn against him and burn him at the stake for being another clone if he was his own.
Why would I?
If that alternate universe exists, we would have gotten a fair distribution of alternate costumes, ant the ones that would be reasonable as clones would have been clones.And we would probably have No cuts and Mewtwo! :chuckle:
Even then, I doubt many people would be upset with Pikmin without irrational hate. One of the major complaints about the clones is that the franchises they hail from are "over represented". That's definitely not the case with Pikmin.

On Topic
Ice Climbers were cut because they are irrelevant

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
-I'm starting to dislike the 3DS version (more).
-The Final Destination Theme is awesome.
-The only character I want at this point is Bandana Dee (sorry Ridley).
-I don't like the Koopalings alts so much.
-I don't care about Dark Pit, but he needs a new idle animation, same with Lucina.
-Jigglypuff's iconic move in Smash is still Rest and not Sing, I hate that.
-I'm happy that Little Mac looks terrible, because I never liked the character...wow, that sounds evil XD
-I don't dislike Miis so much now.
-Shulk's voice sounds weird, and I know nothing about Xenoblade (I only like the music), it just sounds...weird.
-The new blastzones are a little annoying, but it is not terrible.
-Bowser Jr.'s roll and second jump are stupid.
-If Halberd is the only Kirby Stage in the Wii U version, I will be extremely mad.
-I don't have a problem with the number of Mario characters, I would take Captain Toad.
-I don't care about the price of the DLC, just give me more characters.
-Bandana Dee.

I may agree that best would be unpopular, but one of the best?

I don't think it's that much unpopular in the way that it has to do if you care or not which isn't exactly unpopular.

Nonetheless, I agree so, here's a wav of the medley I got from game stream in source quality as thanks (way better than those youtube video compression):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwVX8KwlAazULXRWZWltWEE1bzQ/edit?usp=sharing

D

Deleted member

If you don't agree with me, that's fine. But, don't flame me for this.

I am going to be completely honest: I hate the Ice Climbers. I've hated them since Melee.
I hated their presence in Melee. They really didn't stick out to me as characters.
I hate them as characters. I don't like their design and their voices annoy me.
I hate their gimmick. Is it cool? Yeah, but it's still annoying to me.
My hate grew even further in Brawl where they got their infamous 0-to-death chain grab.
I've also played their game and I absolutely hated it. The controls are just terrible.
When I heard that there were problems with them on the 3DS, it gave me some hope that they would be cut. When that happened, I was glad!
Of course, I feel sympathetic for the people who mained them and loved them, but that doesn't mean that I'm not happy that they were excluded.

With that being said...
FLAME SHIELD ACTIVATED!

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I've been watching some gameplay videos on YouTube to see everyone's victory screens and screen KOs, and I'm honestly not impressed. I was originally going to get both versions because Smash, but with the non-inclusions of my most wanted (Mewtwo, Ridley, Wolf), the fact that we get a demo, the fact that the 3DS feels awkward and too fragile for playing Smash, and the fact that the 3DS version looks like a 3DS low quality graphics game, I'm not too excited anymore.

I'll get the demo, play a bit, then wait for the WiiU version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom