• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions - share them here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
I'm looking forward to the fact that the gameplay speed is going to be between Brawl and Melee.
It deeply saddens me that some people's first reactions are to mod the game to be exactly the same as Melee.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
Generally I find Brawl to be the better friendly competitive game, as even myself and my friends can easily pull off satisfying combos and such that in a Melee match we would have no reaction time to attempt to successfully pull of, and instead of it being a game of intense skill and reflex and more about a fun, somewhat relaxed game about knowing what to do where and planning your next move while you have the time.

Besides, to me, terms like power, speed, distance, recovery, and crowd control fit Smash and the attacks within it better than hitbox size, punishability, lag speed, and the like ever did. Smash always seemed like a game meant less to bug/glitch with split-second button mashes and more like a game about knowing the character and the moves that fit your playstyle.

But if you don't play Smash Brothers to have fun then I don't suppose you would know.

Also:
I'm looking forward to the fact that the gameplay speed is going to be between Brawl and Melee.
It deeply saddens me that some people's first reactions are to mod the game to be exactly the same as Melee.
This. Much this.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
But if you don't play Smash Brothers to have fun then I don't suppose you would know.
In comes the hypocrite
I believe there is no wrong way to play Smash
Competitive or casual, just have fun. Neither one is the definitive fun side.
Play the smash game that you like how you like to play it. If you like 64 Casual, GREAT. If you like Brawl Competitive, GREAT. If you like Melee Competitive, GREAT. If you like Project M Casual, GREAT.
IT SADDENS ME THAT THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO COMPLAIN ABOUT COMPETITIVE PURIST ASSHOLES EVEN THOUGH THEY'RE BEING CASUAL PURIST ASSHOLES
In short, let me play Smash 4 how I choose and leave me the hell alone about it.

@ EmceeEspio EmceeEspio , you provided a starting point for my rant and I hope you take no offense. If you didn't mean it like that, I'm sorry, that's just how it came across

Fuqua

Smash Apprentice
actually almost nobody reacted like that so rest assured.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
- You don't have to rant about styles of gameplay you don't like. If you like Melee casual, go for it. If you like Brawl with hacks, go for it. Thank you.
- ROB has quite a bit more personality than G&W. He seems like an old-timey kind of cartoon character to me.
- Pyrrhon's Assist game too strong for Magnus. SHAZAMMITYLAM!
- Now that Pit has the Three Sacred Treasures, I'm gambling that Palutena's gonna get her own Army as a FS.
- Misty should have been the human rep for Pokémon long before the Pokémon Trainer himself showed up. Because Misty.

106Ghost

Smash Rookie
I guess I will participate in this:
- If Pokemon happens to get 6 slots and if Jigglypuff returns, I do not want the final pokemon character to be mewtwo. Gen 1 has always been over represented in smash bros history and if mewtwo gets in 4 out of the 6 characters would be from gen one.
-Metroid is already represented well in smash 4. With 2 characters, a stage, and 3 assist trophies. It does not need a third character (although if the series gets another rep I will not complain).
- Despite being a FE fan I do not want Chrom in the game. We already have 2 blue haired, male, sword wielding FE characters. We do not need a third one (although he will be a great punching bag for me if he gets in).

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
In comes the hypocrite
I believe there is no wrong way to play Smash
Competitive or casual, just have fun. Neither one is the definitive fun side.
Play the smash game that you like how you like to play it. If you like 64 Casual, GREAT. If you like Brawl Competitive, GREAT. If you like Melee Competitive, GREAT. If you like Project M Casual, GREAT.
IT SADDENS ME THAT THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO COMPLAIN ABOUT COMPETITIVE PURIST *******S EVEN THOUGH THEY'RE BEING CASUAL PURIST *******S
In short, let me play Smash 4 how I choose and leave me the hell alone about it.

@ EmceeEspio EmceeEspio , you provided a starting point for my rant and I hope you take no offense. If you didn't mean it like that, I'm sorry, that's just how it came across
I'm sure I offended some others too so I'll just explain myself here. I didn't say that Smash can't be played competitively for fun. What I meant is that if your point of playing Smash isn't to have fun, you wouldn't know what part about Smash you enjoy.

You may rub this off as an excuse, and think "Who doesn't play these games for fun?" But I know people like this. They play games like Call of Duty but they don't seem happy playing them at all. Same with when they're playing Smash. In places like the non-gamer gaming market, less people seem passionate about playing games and just seem to care more about winning. It's what's turned me off from most multiplayer mainstream games.

Though it comes to my attention I never figured in the competitive scene and looked like a total jerk. Sorry.

Tetraplex

Smash Cadet
- If Pokemon happens to get 6 slots and if Jigglypuff returns, I do not want the final pokemon character to be mewtwo. Gen 1 has always been over represented in smash bros history and if mewtwo gets in 4 out of the 6 characters would be from gen one.
-Metroid is already represented well in smash 4. With 2 characters, a stage, and 3 assist trophies. It does not need a third character (although if the series gets another rep I will not complain).
- Despite being a FE fan I do not want Chrom in the game. We already have 2 blue haired, male, sword wielding FE characters. We do not need a third one (although he will be a great punching bag for me if he gets in).
Couldn't agree more with your third point, and while I feel Mewtwo got a raw deal in Brawl I see where you're coming from there. But who is this second Metroid rep I've missed? As far as I can tell only Samus is in so far. Ok, Zero Suit is in a separate slot now, but it's the same character fighting in two different ways. It's like saying the Mortal Kombats with multiple fighting styles had triple their actual roster...

106Ghost

Smash Rookie
Couldn't agree more with your third point, and while I feel Mewtwo got a raw deal in Brawl I see where you're coming from there. But who is this second Metroid rep I've missed? As far as I can tell only Samus is in so far. Ok, Zero Suit is in a separate slot now, but it's the same character fighting in two different ways. It's like saying the Mortal Kombats with multiple fighting styles had triple their actual roster...
yes I was referring to ZSS. I do consider her to be her own character, but that is just my opinion.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
This...isn't an unpopular opinion here...:p

GeNo-BreaKer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeNo-BreaKer-01
3DS FC
1220-6182-2346
I hoped that this game wouldn't please the people that only play this game for a month. But ever since Sakurai said that he will try to please both sides of the fandom... bleh

Last edited:

GeNo-BreaKer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeNo-BreaKer-01
3DS FC
1220-6182-2346
What's the problem of pleasing both sides of the fanbase?
Why please those who didn't even complain about Melee? Casuals will eat it up, weather or not it's slower or faster. Sakurai should please the hardcore fans who supported Smash in the N64 and GCN days, not the ones who only play for a month.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Why please those who didn't even complain about Melee? Casuals will eat it up, weather or not it's slower or faster. Sakurai should please the hardcore fans who supported Smash in the N64 and GCN days, not the ones who only play for a month.
I think you're underestimating the amount of Smash a non-competitive audience plays, and why wouldn't he please both sides? I love how you talk about casuals not like people who also love the game, but as some kind of vermin that needs to get out of your way.

Sun & Moon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedNes30
3DS FC
3411-1835-2138
I don't think casual players will be satisfaied with any **** Sakurai throws at them.
Speaking of it, I HATE this casual/hardcore thing, in both gamers and games.

GeNo-BreaKer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeNo-BreaKer-01
3DS FC
1220-6182-2346
I think you're underestimating the amount of Smash a non-competitive audience plays
Am I really, because the majority of casuals are notorious for just playing for a couple of weeks or months.

and why wouldn't he please both sides?
What is there that needs ro be done for casuals? Casuals are gonna be pleased as long as the game is good fun.

I love how you talk about casuals not like people who also love the game, but as some kind of vermin that needs to get out of your way.
Well, most casuals who "love" the game end up dropping it after a month or two. And I'm not trying to say that casuals are "vermin", I'm just saying that the casuals are easily pleased and that Sakurai shouldn't focus on them very much. As long as the game has Mario and Pikachu fighting in Pokemon Stadium with items, they're going to be pleased.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
Because they are the ones paying the bills at Sora Ltd.

Sun & Moon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedNes30
3DS FC
3411-1835-2138
Am I really, because the majority of casuals are notorious for just playing for a couple of weeks or months.

What is there that needs ro be done for casuals? Casuals are gonna be pleased as long as the game is good fun.

Well, most casuals who "love" the game end up dropping it after a month or two. And I'm not trying to say that casuals are "vermin", I'm just saying that the casuals are easily pleased and that Sakurai shouldn't focus on them very much. As long as the game has Mario and Pikachu fighting in Pokemon Stadium with items, they're going to be pleased.
Then trey're going to play smash bros for a much more than just a month. You are really underestimating smash's replay value.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Brawl is/was probably one of the greatest party games ever made. It's still excessively popular and it got a lot more play time on average than just a month. Casuals play the game addictively just like we do, they just play within a smaller paradigm because of lack of knowledge (but that's going to be less and less likely, considering streaming and a ranking for online play: League of Legends proved it).

Last edited:

silvR1995

Smash Journeyman
NNID
silvRboLt1995
3DS FC
0834-0571-4339
That said, I feel ashamed that I favor Project M to Brawl. :(

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
That said, I feel ashamed that I favor Project M to Brawl. :(
Don't do, Project M's kinda doing what Smash4 is also doing, hitting a middle ground between Melee and Brawl, except Project M leans heavily towards Melee while Smash4 attempts to be as much on the middle as possible.

silvR1995

Smash Journeyman
NNID
silvRboLt1995
3DS FC
0834-0571-4339
Don't do, Project M's kinda doing what Smash4 is also doing, hitting a middle ground between Melee and Brawl, except Project M leans heavily towards Melee while Smash4 attempts to be as much on the middle as possible.
As much as I really enjoy Melee, if this
is true, I will lose respect for this community.

GeNo-BreaKer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeNo-BreaKer-01
3DS FC
1220-6182-2346
Because they are the ones paying the bills at Sora Ltd.
No, the ones paying the bills are Kid Icarus player. :p

Who plays Smash for only a month? I've still play Brawl since '09, & I'm still not bored.
The majority of casuals. Not the ones who go online to talk about Smash.

Brawl is/was probably one of the greatest party games ever made. It's still excessively popular and it got a lot more play time on average than just a month. Casuals play the game addictively just like we do, they just play within a smaller paradigm because of lack of knowledge (but that's going to be less and less likely, considering streaming and a ranking for online play: League of Legends proved it).
I was talking about the majority, not you guys.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
Is anybody who doesn't play competitively automatically a "casual", and therefore only going to play for a month? Just asking because I've been playing since 1999 but never entered a tournament, and I'd hate to think I've wasted the last 14 years when I need only have played it for a couple of weeks.

Sorry, that was really obnoxious. My point is that competitive/casual isn't a binary, it's a spectrum defined by how people choose to play the game. It makes good business sense for Nintendo to pitch it as close to the middle of that spectrum as they can.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I was talking about the majority, not you guys.
I'm confused? I was saying how Casuals probably played Brawl for a lot longer than a month, considering how highly popular it is as a party game.
Unless you were referring to how a hell-of-a-lot of "casuals" come in and try the competitive scene for maybe a little while then give up within a month (or their first tournament), then you're right, but I didn't think that's what you were saying.

What I was inferring was that for Smash 4, the line between casual/competitive will likely be greyed even further, not because it's easier or anything (technically), but because of how prolific social media devices have become (streaming) and the general growing interest of smash as an e-sport.
League of Legends is played in a competitive style at nearly every level at this point because of how widespread such formats are shown in streaming by individual players and tournaments themselves, people get to observe and mimic the best/highest level strategies a lot easier than they ever have. To almost the detriment of metagame progression (knee-jerk etc) due to people's focuses being more based around popularity rather than actual strength. I started playing league very early and the whole 'adc/support bot, jungle, burst mid, island top' was unheard of as a set in stone thing, there was a lot more variety in the game, and at the highest known levels there were very few references (streaming started slow and only revolved around solo queue, not competitive level) and they played in this ad hoc style as well. The whole notion of "character difficulty" was a really big thing that applied to balance and design decisions, but widespread streams turned people not knowing how to play a character into "watch someone play them for a few matches and get to see a play pattern they can mimic and be successful with', and suddenly character difficulty meant less (as it was a lot easier to learn by visual reference) and anything that was 'excellent' was 'BROKEN' no matter the difficulty, and those characters would be adjusted/nerfed to be more in line with easier characters. There was also a very widespread "solo queue" culture that pushed just about everyone to play and try hard and do whatever it took to win.

In other words, for Smash 4, I see a lot of people being on average better, because streaming is easy and it's huge (and getting bigger), and there are going to be an online ranking of some description that to climb in you have to get better, and it's within the comfort of your own home, so you are more likely to commit to such goals of improvement (that you would feel way too eclipsed by if you had just gone to a in person tournament for the first time [which obviously has a considerably higher average skill level]).

Last edited:

chronomantic

Smash Ace
No, the ones paying the bills are Kid Icarus player. :p
Brawl world sales: 12 million
Kid Icarus world sales: 1 million

What were you saying again?

Listen why is it so hard for you to accept that it's important to cater to the 'casuals who play the game for only a month' (your statistics) when they're the majority who play the game. Competitive players are being recognized in a big way this time around. We don't know how the game will turn out yet so complaining this early is unwarranted.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You've grown up so much.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
- A game that's 50% brawl and 50% melee = a game that's 50% as good as melee was.

- Sakurai is sort of bad at his job.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I think I love you.

Coonce

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if it's an unpopular opinion, but I wouldn't mind seeing the stale moves mechanic done away with.

WishOn

Smash Cadet
NNID
WishOn
3DS FC
4828-5426-2919
I think Pichu was a fun character and I would love to see it return to Smash4

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
- A game that's 50% brawl and 50% melee = a game that's 50% as good as melee was.

More like a game that's 100% as good as Smash 4 is. Melee wasn't perfect, Brawl wasn't perfect.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I seem to always agree with unpopular opinions, like these:
I think Pichu was a fun character and I would love to see it return to Smash4
Not sure if it's an unpopular opinion, but I wouldn't mind seeing the stale moves mechanic done away with.

Especially the last one. Unpopular Opinion: I cannot wait for Sakurai to be replaced as the "creative" director.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
There is an article from 2013, following the Mario versus Mega Man video with Sakurai, interviewing people from, like, Brawl Minus and a few other hackers. They all were ready to blast Smash 4 and use it as a means to make their own mods better. They even went so far as to say any Smash game without wavedashing is an inferior game, as if it was even the most important AT -- as if ATs alone are what competitive Smash is all about.

I was incredulous. I mean, just beside myself. The game was even more unknown to us a year ago than it is now, and most people will agree that we know next to nothing about how Smash 4 plays, even now. Project: M rose to popularity late in Brawl's life, long after the Wii was heavily compromised and hacked to hell and back. Nintendo has tried to learn from their mistakes, and has been more aggressive with anti-hacking measures on both WiiU and 3DS. They don't want their hardware blown wide open, like what happened with the Wii. If the Brawl hacking community wants to keep adding content to Project: M, Brawl Minus, et all, that's up to them. But please, leave the WiiU alone. Nintendo has shown signs of support and acceptance of competitive Smash, and if they continue, it benefits us all. But kicking them in the shins by cracking their hardware open and paving the way for pirates? Planning to make modded versions of Smash 4 before it is even released? That is not necessary. I don't want that. That's not right.

Nintendo has all but abandoned the Wii to the homebrew crowd. Please, keep you fun contained to that piece of hardware.

/end rant

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom