• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions - share them here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
There is an article from 2013, following the Mario versus Mega Man video with Sakurai, interviewing people from, like, Brawl Minus and a few other hackers. They all were ready to blast Smash 4 and use it as a means to make their own mods better. They even went so far as to say any Smash game without wavedashing is an inferior game, as if it was even the most important AT -- as if ATs alone are what competitive Smash is all about.
-citation needed-

Seriously. That's a pretty big claim. I think a link to the article is in order.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
-citation needed-

Seriously. That's a pretty big claim. I think a link to the article is in order.
Haha, actually, hold on... hoo boy, I feel a bit silly. Okay, so I got fooled a bit, here.

I read the article a few days ago and saved the link on my phone. I didn't do much research on the article after reading it. After looking it up just now to share the link, I noticed something looked a little "off." Turns out, it's a satire site. "Play4Real Gaming." It looks to be the video game equivalent to The Onion. The (apparently fake) article is here.

I feel pretty sheepish right now. Sorry about not giving the website a second look. I'd honestly never seen the site before, so I didn't know it wasn't real. I know, I know, people would lie on the internet? Seems crazy.

So... you can ignore that part of my last post, lol. Still, my sentiments have not changed. I really do not want to see an aggressive push to hack the WiiU or 3DS by the Smash scene. It may inevitably happen, but Nintendo seems determined to patch out exploits and weaknesses in their most recent hardware.

EDIT: The saddest thing is that everything I read in that article didn't seem immediately fake, to me, except for the part about the True Melee Sequel. I've heard people on this site say things just like this before. Granted, I know nothing of the people he quoted in his piece, so I don't know how out of character those lines are.

Last edited:

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Warning Received
There is an article from 2013, following the Mario versus Mega Man video with Sakurai, interviewing people from, like, Brawl Minus and a few other hackers. They all were ready to blast Smash 4 and use it as a means to make their own mods better. They even went so far as to say any Smash game without wavedashing is an inferior game, as if it was even the most important AT -- as if ATs alone are what competitive Smash is all about.

I was incredulous. I mean, just beside myself. The game was even more unknown to us a year ago than it is now, and most people will agree that we know next to nothing about how Smash 4 plays, even now. Project: M rose to popularity late in Brawl's life, long after the Wii was heavily compromised and hacked to hell and back. Nintendo has tried to learn from their mistakes, and has been more aggressive with anti-hacking measures on both WiiU and 3DS. They don't want their hardware blown wide open, like what happened with the Wii. If the Brawl hacking community wants to keep adding content to Project: M, Brawl Minus, et all, that's up to them. But please, leave the WiiU alone. Nintendo has shown signs of support and acceptance of competitive Smash, and if they continue, it benefits us all. But kicking them in the shins by cracking their hardware open and paving the way for pirates? Planning to make modded versions of Smash 4 before it is even released? That is not necessary. I don't want that. That's not right.

Nintendo has all but abandoned the Wii to the homebrew crowd. Please, keep you fun contained to that piece of hardware.

/end rant
Implying modding is illegal
implying modding ruined Brawl
implying modding didn't increase the lifespan of Brawl
implying it can't do the same for Smash 4

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
This type of post is a no-brainer infraction.
>A warning
>For this
>In the Unpopular Opinions Thread?

GG Mods

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I'm not so sure that it's legal, to be honest, but that's not my main issue, here.

Never said modding ruined Brawl. Thanks for not reading my post.

Things like Project: M only increased the "lifespan" of Brawl inasmuch as people bought the disc so they could run Project: M. When you boot up PM, you're not playing Brawl anymore.

Smash 4 isn't even out yet, and for all we know, it might be fantastic. Even if it's Brawl all over again (worst case scenario, not likely), I'm not in favor of making a "PM" for Smash 4. If the guys behind PM want to/are able to add content to their Wii title, then that's fine. That's already under the bridge.

Finally, what in the world are you doing posting like 4chan on Smashboards? It just makes you look ridiculous.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Warnings are fantastic things, they prod users/readers as a whole and are good for that purpose; to keep things on track before they go sour. If an entire post is dedicated to saying another opinion is wrong, that kinda breaks the thread rules/the spirit of the thread. The only reason a thread like this stays open is under the pretense things stay within the confines of its unique rules. What happens when we let posts like this slide, we get defensive responses, like #2245, which if left to continue turn the thread into a ****house/argument. This results in a lot more workload for us, when there isn't any benefit to users other than for their egos. This is why we "over moderate things".

Infractions are another cup of tea. You can't really tell the difference as an observer, but they actually mean something to the user. They're used for more blatant rule breaking. Posts like yours are great for E-popularity and post count, and nothing else. If you'd like to deal with the injustice of it all, we have succinct steps/processes in doing so. No need to look for trouble! =)

The smart way to deal with warnings is messaging me privately. Which is exactly what the original user did.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I feel as though most of the new mechanics (highlighting opponents, outline colors, etc.) that Sakurai introduced were designed for blind people.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
I feel as though most of the new mechanics (highlighting opponents, outline colors, etc.) that Sakurai introduced were designed for blind people.
Well I feel they are wholly necessary additions to make up for the lower screen real estate on the 3DS compared to a TV/Computer monitor.

Speaking of which, I am fully convinced that the 3DS version will basically be Brawl on the 3DS with more modes and fighters. The Wii U version will be the one with all the effort put in to make it competitively palatable while the 3DS version is super casual fun times like Brawl where things are significantly simplified to account for the 3DS's far lesser control options and weaker processing power.

And we'll all buy it regardless.

KatKit

Smash Lord
When I first saw ZSS, I was hyped/relieved that she returned. I liked her moveset changes (I'm going to miss that "drag players downwards" up-B attack though). I thought she was a total badass. I think they improved upon her Other M character design considerably, and I even prefer her overall design more than the Brawl one. Nothing more, nothing less. No complaints from me. I'm a Metroid fan and ZSS main.

Then I discovered that people kept mentioning her mole, heels, and bust size. And were like... arguing and stuff. I understand both sides of the argument, but I think the entire subject is nonsensical and miniscule, for various reasons.

I don't mind if every series got multiple reps. In fact, I think most of the existing ones could use more. Star Fox included.

Buff Ike is great. Stop the hate, Japan.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
It's funny that you mention it because my sight from far or small elements is REALLY BAD (enough to not be able to drive). I'm actually using special glasses that makes things bigger from near like a computer as I'm typing this. So, I consider those mechanics good for me.

KatKit

Smash Lord
@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 : I'm glad to hear that the aesthetic differences the 3DS version has might be beneficial to people like yourself. In hindsight, the devs reaaaaaalllly care about us players. Going the extra mile to make the game easier to see, and giving the option to turn certain visual features off and stuff can easily be taken for granted.

Riposte__

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi needs to look more like this.
That's not an unpopular opinion! get out of here!

Seriously though I wanted a slick looking black/red yoshi since smash 64. Puke green and piss yellow yoshi sucks. Ive been playing red yoshi but now that AmsA is on the scene....Well..I just hate using colors that are in use already.

Morbi

Scavenger

Seriously though I wanted a slick looking black/red yoshi since smash 64. Puke green and piss yellow yoshi sucks. Ive been playing red yoshi but now that AmsA is on the scene....Well..I just hate using colors that are in use already.
All of the colors are in use; someone, somewhere, is using your favorite color.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest

Yea the Yoshi's Story look is great. Black and white Yoshi's need to be a thing (outside of Project M). I also have the same struggle with the red Yoshi since AmsA is playing. It makes me seem like I jumped on the bandwagon but I just like red.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yea the Yoshi's Story look is great. Black and white Yoshi's need to be a thing (outside of Project M). I also have the same struggle with the red Yoshi since AmsA is playing. It makes me seem like I jumped on the bandwagon but I just like red.
Sky Blue Yoshi is the only way to go for me, in the few instances I actually play him.

Last edited by a moderator:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Haha, actually, hold on... hoo boy, I feel a bit silly. Okay, so I got fooled a bit, here.

I read the article a few days ago and saved the link on my phone. I didn't do much research on the article after reading it. After looking it up just now to share the link, I noticed something looked a little "off." Turns out, it's a satire site. "Play4Real Gaming." It looks to be the video game equivalent to The Onion. The (apparently fake) article is here.

I feel pretty sheepish right now. Sorry about not giving the website a second look. I'd honestly never seen the site before, so I didn't know it wasn't real. I know, I know, people would lie on the internet? Seems crazy.

So... you can ignore that part of my last post, lol. Still, my sentiments have not changed. I really do not want to see an aggressive push to hack the WiiU or 3DS by the Smash scene. It may inevitably happen, but Nintendo seems determined to patch out exploits and weaknesses in their most recent hardware.

EDIT: The saddest thing is that everything I read in that article didn't seem immediately fake, to me, except for the part about the True Melee Sequel. I've heard people on this site say things just like this before. Granted, I know nothing of the people he quoted in his piece, so I don't know how out of character those lines are.
Yea, p4r is satire. You aren't the first person I've seen to have been fooled by them.

They are pretty good at making convincing satires. You should have seen the one they did on Sakurai. xD

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482

I was incredulous. I mean, just beside myself. The game was even more unknown to us a year ago than it is now, and most people will agree that we know next to nothing about how Smash 4 plays, even now. Project: M rose to popularity late in Brawl's life, long after the Wii was heavily compromised and hacked to hell and back. Nintendo has tried to learn from their mistakes, and has been more aggressive with anti-hacking measures on both WiiU and 3DS. They don't want their hardware blown wide open, like what happened with the Wii. If the Brawl hacking community wants to keep adding content to Project: M, Brawl Minus, et all, that's up to them. But please, leave the WiiU alone. Nintendo has shown signs of support and acceptance of competitive Smash, and if they continue, it benefits us all. But kicking them in the shins by cracking their hardware open and paving the way for pirates? Planning to make modded versions of Smash 4 before it is even released? That is not necessary. I don't want that. That's not right.

Nintendo has all but abandoned the Wii to the homebrew crowd. Please, keep you fun contained to that piece of hardware.

/end rant
Can I get a link to that article?

Edit : Aww ****. I saw the posts at the top of the page.

I thought it was that article lol.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Yea, p4r is satire. You aren't the first person I've seen to have been fooled by them.

They are pretty good at making convincing satires. You should have seen the one they did on Sakurai. xD
That one was convincing because there's an alarming amount of people who want to 'fix' Smash4 already.

KnilKrad

Smash Rookie
I feel like although Smash 4 will probably be awesome, I and many other people will likely go back to Project M after a while. Project M and other Brawl mods will probably be superior (at least to my taste) until Smash 4 is similarly modded.

Also, while it's probably very unlikely, I'm kind of afraid Nintendo is going to go crazy with DLC for Smash 4.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Last edited:

Riposte__

Smash Apprentice
People who are begging for non iconic, non star, supporting characters are bringing down the community both on the boards and on the miiverse.

Ragingtsunami726

Smash Cadet
  • DLC is a good thing and I hope we get lots of it.
  • The segment in the direct teasing Ridley basically confirmed him as playable. Sakurai wouldn't tease people like that with such a popular character.
  • Chrom is boring as hell and shouldn't be in.
  • I'm super glad items are on at the invitational.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Though I didn't specifically want any of the newcomers that have been revealed thus far, I adore all of them. What's more, I know that I will probably be equally excited about the rest of the newcomers whoever they may be. I'm just that confident in this game, which unfortunately seems to be an unpopular opinion. Optimism be darned, I guess.

Tides

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yoichx
Well, guess I'll make a post here....
  • I don't want Ivysaur to return.
  • I don't want Snake to return.
  • I don't want Jigglypuff to return.
  • I would be okay with R.O.B. being cut.
  • I would be okay with Squirtle being cut.
  • I would be okay with Wolf being cut.
  • I would be okay with Ice Climbers being cut.
  • I would be okay with Mr. Game & Watch being cut.
  • I would honestly be okay with Ganondorf being cut if he doesn't get a move-set overhaul.
  • I would be okay with Roy not returning.
  • I don't think the Mother series should lose any reputation.
  • I think Mario AND Zelda should have six reps if Pokemon has six reps (and no I don't think Yoshi & Wario should count towards mario reps really....).
  • I think Kirby has earned another rep, that probably being Banana Dee.
  • I think Dixie Kong would kinda be a bland character.
  • I would be fine with Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus getting two newcomer reps (wishful thinking though).
  • I don't want another F-Zero rep.
  • I would be okay with Sonic being represented with two characters as long as it's tails. I wouldn't want anybody else though.
  • I would LOVE it if Chorus Men were newcomers.
That's all I can think of right now. Originally I didn't want King K. Rool, Ridley, or Mewtwo to be in the next game.... but that changed for obvious reasons. Please don't eat me alive :c.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
People who are begging for non iconic, non star, supporting characters are bringing down the community both on the boards and on the miiverse.
How many iconic, non supporting characters are really left though?

EDIT: I phrased my question the exact opposite of how I wanted it, oops

Last edited:

ellord

Smash Apprentice
-I think wii fit trainer and villager are troll.
-I only approve mods that add features, like more maps, musics, skin, texture, adventure... I play the game Sakurai make and I like all version he did for each generation. For people that are wondering, modding is legal as long as you own a original copy with its original console. The law say you can do whatever you want with your own objects, it include read and edit files, as long as its for a personnal use. It mean to distributes these files are illegals.
-I feel Sakurai like Mega man and i'm scared he makes him too strong.
-Smash 4 will look like a brawl rebalanced. I mean it will look more like brawl than melee, but with less unbalanced characters.
-Smash 4 will have a similar amount of characters than brawl.
-Online will be a little bit better, but still bad.
-They will rework Ganondolf's moveset to look different than Capitaine Falcon.
-Lucas may not appear.
-Mewtwo and Roy won't come back.
-Little mac is designed for casual player.
-Ike is designed for western. He will also be faster with the same strength and will be considered like a god for casuals.
-Marth will look girlier than brawl. He won't get back his meteor from melee, he will keep his strength in areal, his metetor without tipper in the current brawl version would be too overpower with its current areal strength. His shield breaker will have a longer range, if not, they will improve it against non sheilding character. His range on all move will be slighly increased. Maybe, a Lucina skin.
-Average strenght will be set higher. I mean most of character will get a buff.
-Devolloper may not notice some glitch or unvolontary combo. I mean infinie chain grap of King dedede over some character and Marth over Ness was unvolontary combo they didn't notice.
-No wavefash and L canceling.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Wii Fit Trainer and Villager are both terrible joke characters and wasted slots.
Villager, the protagonist of one of Nintendo's most beloved series, a joke character, I mean, I know his moveset's silly, but AC's sales are no joke.

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Hey, it's an unpopular opinion. By joke character I mean his moves are "jokes" (not serious combat moves) and make no sense
That's kind of the charm...I mean, you can't deny that Wii Fit Trainer's Sun Salutation actually shooting a sun-shaped projectile is awesome. I just think he's a great addition to the cast and he represents Animal Crossing as he's the main character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom