• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions - share them here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragingtsunami726

Smash Cadet
Is this still the unpopular opinion thread? If so...

I think that a good enough reason for Ridley to not be a playable character is that it would be really, really silly. It would look ridiculous. I don't see why people aren't happy with him being a huge freaking boss in the game.
The reason people wouldn't be happy is the same reason they wouldn't be happy any other character they wanted in didn't make it, they want to play as that character. (not trying to bring down your opinion, just honestly explaining)

kReign

Smash Rookie
The reason people wouldn't be happy is the same reason they wouldn't be happy any other character they wanted in didn't make it, they want to play as that character. (not trying to bring down your opinion, just honestly explaining)
Yeah, I understand. I just think that some people should bring their expectations more in line with what the more reasonable result is...but hey, it doesn't affect me so whatever.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Is this still the unpopular opinion thread? If so...

I think that a good enough reason for Ridley to not be a playable character is that it would be really, really silly. It would look ridiculous. I don't see why people aren't happy with him being a huge freaking boss in the game.
It's unlikely he'd even be a "boss" like he was in Brawl(which people found him awesome to fight) and more like a simple stage hazard that flies around and attacks, like the Pokemon in Saffron City. Regardless of the term "Stage Boss", that's not what people see in him. Or at least not the kind of thing people want. Going from a real boss to a bad stage hazard variant actually weakens his role. That's a major villain to a tiny role on a stage.

Playable or not, it's a downgrade, so of course they'd be mad. There's nothing to be happy about. The downgrade is poor.

Also, even if he is playable, and I think many didn't know this, but the actual Japanese Miiverse post about the Pyrosphere didn't effectively say "An enemy from Samus' past", but "An enemy from Samus' past that caused her trauma." That's only Ridley, unless Lava was apparently traumatizing to her. However, he said that extremely early on in development, and a Toon Link scenario is reasonably possible too, or he could change his mind, realize people want him playable, ignoring the thing he made(another reasonable thing to note is that Ridley might have never been a Stage Hazard and he was talking about the Pyrosphere as in referring to what it's like in Other M, not how it's in 4).

Not really trying to debate here or criticize your opinion, keep in mind. I think that's a fair attitude to have too. That people should be happy he's in the game. I do think it's good to know why people complain, though, that's all. I understand your point, indeed. Disagree, but eh.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
3rd parties need to make their own smash bros games so they can stay out of the original one. No one would want more/any 3rd party characters like Tails, Simon, or Megaman if they had their own game. 3rd parties should go away.

Ironically Sonic is my most played character in Brawl :awesome: and I'm thinking of having Megaman as one of my secondaries in Smash 4:upsidedown:
Megaman and Sonic are here to stay D:<

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I'm actually excited about Stage Bosses and I think they're a reasonable next step, especially since we don't have a story mode like the SSE. And, if Ridley is just a stage boss, I think it'll be cool. Don't flame me, I think it's perfectly possible that he's playable, but in the event that he's not, I think he'll still be a fun element of the game.

Last edited:

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
I'm tired of people saying "Oh Sakurai is so rude to my characters, making them a stage boss/Assist Trophy/Trophy like that instead of playable like they deserve. It's so degrading, he's a ****"

Your character was never in the game to begin with
Be happy they at least got what they got
Believe it or not, it's not every day a new Smash comes out. So if your character even got a nod in the game, THAT'S A HUGE DEAL.
Like really, he could've not included Ridley/Ashley/Skull Kid/Waluigi/Wonder Red/whoever else AT ALL.
But no, he made sure to at least give them a spot somewhere in the game. I am deeply and truly sorry that you can't play as your precious Dark Samus/Dillon/Lyn/Zoroark/Tom Nook/you get the idea, but at least they get a spot in the game.
Sakurai could've easily ignored that they exist and moved on with production, but he didn't. People like this make the Smash fanbase seem really whiny and entitled, when they have no right to be.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I'm tired of people saying "Oh Sakurai is so rude to my characters, making them a stage boss/Assist Trophy/Trophy like that instead of playable like they deserve. It's so degrading, he's a ****"

Your character was never in the game to begin with
Be happy they at least got what they got
Believe it or not, it's not every day a new Smash comes out. So if your character even got a nod in the game, THAT'S A HUGE DEAL.
Like really, he could've not included Ridley/Ashley/Skull Kid/Waluigi/Wonder Red/whoever else AT ALL.
But no, he made sure to at least give them a spot somewhere in the game. I am deeply and truly sorry that you can't play as your precious Dark Samus/Dillon/Lyn/Zoroark/Tom Nook/you get the idea, but at least they get a spot in the game.
Sakurai could've easily ignored that they exist and moved on with production, but he didn't. The Smash fanbase seems really whiny and entitled, when they have no right to be.
ESPECIALLY for me THIS, THIS and even more of THIS.

I said it multiple times: even if I support strongly Paper Mario, I want a minimum of decent representation. I would even be happy to see an assist but I don't understand why no music. In fact, I want that the game at least reference the series to go beyond just trophies and sticker. The character is the best case but not what I absolutely want no I want proper representation and I'm very open towards this.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
A question to all people who want Ridley in Sm4sh. Okay, so there's a Ridley shadow. Okay? Let's play the what-if scenario & let's say Ridley was added. Why would Sakurai add TWO Ridleys? What you're trying to say is different forms of Ridley can be in Sm4sh (excluding trophies)? If that's what you're trying to say, then, you know what, BLUE TOAD CONFIRMED! Ridley fans you lost. Now one can say that for Samus and Zamus, but at least there's variety not just he's a robot. Ridley's disconfirmed. Get over it.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Unpopular opinion (apparently)

Robin would be better for smash 4 than Chrom.

The potential. THE POTENTIAL.

tfw > no customizable character robin in smash 4. ;_;

mimgrim

Smash Hero
A question to all people who want Ridley in Sm4sh. Okay, so there's a Ridley shadow. Okay? Let's play the what-if scenario & let's say Ridley was added. Why would Sakurai add TWO Ridleys? What you're trying to say is different forms of Ridley can be in Sm4sh (excluding trophies)? If that's what you're trying to say, then, you know what, BLUE TOAD CONFIRMED! Ridley fans you lost. Now one can say that for Samus and Zamus, but at least there's variety not just he's a robot. Ridley's disconfirmed. Get over it.

Ridley also isn't confirmed to be a boss/hazard so saying that if Ridley was added in a what if scenario and making it seem like a fact that he will be a stage boss/hazard, when it isn't confirmed that is what he is.

I wouldn't have even bothered replying to this post if it wasn't for how you worded your opinion to be a fact instead.

Though I suppose an unpopular opinion that I currently have would be; I actually think Ridley's tease in the April Direct actually makes him more likely to be a playable character.

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice
I'm not a fan of Pac-Man, and I think it would be better served using a Nintendo character instead, if not any veterans Sakurai will probably kick from Brawl.

I also don't think Mii or Robin are likely propositions to the game. The Mii just completely lacks any detail beyond the face and is unlikely to fit the style. As for Robin, I wouldn't mind their inclusion, but Sakurai would have to choose a canon appearance on this character for the sake of balance, which means there will be some pissed off fans who won't get their choice of Awakening avatar into the mix.

And Lucina and Chrom would work fine as just a costume/customisation change to Marth with different voices - all three of them are essentially the same in combat.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm not a fan of Pac-Man, and I think it would be better served using a Nintendo character instead, if not any veterans Sakurai will probably kick from Brawl.

I also don't think Mii or Robin are likely propositions to the game. The Mii just completely lacks any detail beyond the face and is unlikely to fit the style. As for Robin, I wouldn't mind their inclusion, but Sakurai would have to choose a canon appearance on this character for the sake of balance, which means there will be some pissed off fans who won't get their choice of Awakening avatar into the mix.

And Lucina and Chrom would work fine as just a costume/customisation change to Marth with different voices - all three of them are essentially the same in combat.
I assume that in the event that our beautiful and lovely Robin is selected that their default appearance would be their canon appearance. Villager would serve as precedent.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'd say two different versions of Toon Link pretty much throws your point out. Meta-Ridley is no less Ridley. We've seen Ridley and Meta-Ridley as two bosses in the same game. So one as a Stage Hazard and the other is playable is odd? Nope. It's a bit late to say all of that, since he has two forms confirmed in the SSB Universe. Even before Toon Link, notably.

Also, this is a bad place to ask the question, since debate shouldn't be happening in this thread. Try the SSB Wii U general thread. Or don't bother asking since it likely could cause a ****storm. Trust me on this, it's not too worth it.

Last edited:

Dairz

Smash Ace
I'd say two different versions of Toon Link pretty much throws your point out.
To be fair, its not possible for Conductor Toon Link and normal Toon Link to be on the screen at the same time. And Conductor Toon Link is just part of the background, not a stage hazard.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
To be fair, its not possible for Conductor Toon Link and normal Toon Link to be on the screen at the same time. And Conductor Toon Link is just part of the background, not a stage hazard.
You see, I don't see that as a legitimate difference at this point. One main reason; Why on earth would he force Toon Link(conductor outfit, but his body shape is the same as Toon Link's playable version) to be removed when regular Toon Link is on the field if the character being there wasn't the issue itself? It's obvious that the character is the problem, not what they do. That's the only reason to remove Conductor outfit Toon Link.

You're either part of a stage or you're not(and I do believe this is how it's viewed by Sakurai). I still think they're in the same situation if Ridley appears on the stage at all. Hell, he didn't exactly say Ridley would be a stage hazard, just that he'd show up. Maybe hinting at it, but not really doing well to confirm it. Ridley could show up and do nothing too. It's left so vague that it's even easier to compare it to Toon Link's situation.

Requiem Strider

Smash Rookie
NNID
Requiem_Strider
3DS FC
0044-3073-6859
Ness should have his Japanese version Magicant look as his costume.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
I don't know what the general consensus of PokeFloats was, but I would kill to get it as a retro stage in either version.

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice
Not enthused about the Mii characters. Now some will say, "No Captain Falcon? Just make him as a Mii!", but I honestly would have preferred 9 well-textured original characters (36 moves) as opposed to these low-res Mii Fighters.

Also, what the **** was that star stun after the Mii got hit? I hope that's not something all the characters are going to face...

Last edited:

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
My unpopular opinion: this game can't and won't be a long-lasting competitive success with no l-canceling (confirmed today to be out) and tons of landing lag (watch the demos, there's as much landing lag on aerials as there ever was). Basically, this means there can't be a deep combo game, and the game will be a competitive failure on par with Brawl. That is, it will be decent and have a dedicated tourney scene, but it won't have half the longevity or popularity of Melee.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Mii Fighters was a waste of disc space and development time and resources.
Disappointing character to be debuted at E3.

I'm thankful for a Palutena confirmation though, that was a plus.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Mii Fighters was a waste of disc space and development time and resources.
Disappointing character to be debuted at E3.

I'm thankful for a Palutena confirmation though, that was a plus.
I thought you said she was an assist trophy :troll:

Last edited:

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
I fully support Miis. Pretty unpopular position right now. And is there official confirmation that they will take up three slots or is this just assumption?

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Whilst I'm not surprised by either, I think that Mii and Palutena are bad choices for newcomers. Get at me.

EDIT: I hate Palutena's model too, it looks realistic to the point of uncanny valley. I much prefer Pit's more cartoony look.

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Since this seems to be an unpopular opinion, I saw Miis coming and wanted them badly, also, Palutena's one of the most requested newcomers, so she's alright :D

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
The more these newcomers show up (Greninja, Palutena), the more I have to face the fact that this game isn't being made for me specifically -_-

Though I can tolerate this blatant exercise in putting more females into the cast if it'll only mean Tetra has a better shot of getting in.

Ulevo

Smash Master
My unpopular opinion: this game can't and won't be a long-lasting competitive success with no l-canceling (confirmed today to be out) and tons of landing lag (watch the demos, there's as much landing lag on aerials as there ever was). Basically, this means there can't be a deep combo game, and the game will be a competitive failure on par with Brawl. That is, it will be decent and have a dedicated tourney scene, but it won't have half the longevity or popularity of Melee.
This seems to be the case.

Grand finals, which in and of itself wasn't that special, but was the only uninterrupted match, went to time because basically none of the two characters (Kirby and ZSS) had any follow up to the moves they were doing. No combos.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622

Grand finals, which in and of itself wasn't that special, but was the only uninterrupted match, went to time because basically none of the two characters (Kirby and ZSS) had any follow up to the moves they were doing. No combos.
I thought it was exciting, but I think we should approach it with a 3-stock format.

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice

(EDIT): Disregard my post. That was Hungrybox playing Kirby, so I trust he knows his stuff.

We know the game moves faster than Melee, but the demo will give us more of a chance to check it out tomorrow. I'm going to try some short hops, dash cancels and combos on a few characters and see what I get, depending on whether I get multiple turns or not.

Last edited:
Were Toon Zelda playable, I wouldn't mind, and I'd prefer that to Tetra.

I fully support Miis. Pretty unpopular position right now. And is there official confirmation that they will take up three slots or is this just assumption?
The only evidence either way is the English dubbing's narration, "Brawlers, swordfighters, and gunners. Each type is treated as a separate fighter."

I also don't see why they'd share a character space if Samus and ZSS don't, or Zelda and Sheik don't.

Last edited:

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
Were Toon Zelda playable, I wouldn't mind, and I'd prefer that to Tetra.

The only evidence either way is the English dubbing's narration, "Brawlers, swordfighters, and gunners. Each type is treated as a separate fighter."

I also don't see why they'd share a character space if Samus and ZSS don't, or Zelda and Sheik don't.
But that's the thing, why couldn't it be one slot were you determine which type of fighter your Mii is in the customization/profile settings? That seems more likely and logical than three slots on the character selection screen.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
While we're on the topic, Pac Man is a stupid addition. He's had zero relevance since the 90s and his spot is a waste and shameless fanservice to Namco. At least Sonic is still slightly relevant, even if it's in a negative way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom