• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions - share them here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
Unpopular Opinion: This is probably my least favorite roster; assuming the Gematsu leak is real, which is likely based on the preponderance of the evidence, Chrom is the only character that can save it for me.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I strongly dislike the Mii's.

Love Palutena and Pacman, I mean they're not perfect, but pretty darn close.

Mii's can't be used online, (I think) so I guess that means there technically not a 'real' character, which is fine, since they know there place, I can live with that.

hariooo

Smash Apprentice
There's no point for Captain Falcon to be in this game or did you all forget about him in Brawl?

#unpopularopinion

Signia

Smash Lord
This is looking more like a Brawl 2 than a Melee 2, and I hate that.

Oh wait this is unpopular opinions...

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
Unpopular Opinion: This is probably my least favorite roster; assuming the Gematsu leak is real, which is likely based on the preponderance of the evidence, Chrom is the only character that can save it for me.
A lot of today's reveals seem bizarre. Miis are a terrible addition that could really screw up online play depending on how it plays out. Palutena is alright, but two reps for one game seems kinda iffy. Pac Man is irredeemably stupid and a waste of a slot.

Morbi

Scavenger
A lot of today's reveals seem bizarre. Miis are a terrible addition that could really screw up online play depending on how it plays out. Palutena is alright, but two reps for one game seems kinda iffy. Pac Man is irredeemably stupid and a waste of a slot.
Unfortunately, Mii characters are confirmed to be "banned" from online matches. You can only use them with friends. So development time was essentially wasted on them, that might explain recycled moves and taunts.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
There's 3 Kid Icarus games, btw.

Not sure what you mean by "two reps for one game", because that's not really the case. Two reps for three games, though...

Not saying to like Palutena or something. Not a fan of her either, if it makes you feel better.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
This roster is looking like the worst yet. For every Megaman or Little Mac, there's a -insert everyone else here-.

Last edited:

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
There's 3 Kid Icarus games, btw.

Not sure what you mean by "two reps for one game", because that's not really the case. Two reps for three games, though...

Not saying to like Palutena or something. Not a fan of her either, if it makes you feel better.
Was referring to Uprising, that's the only Kid Icarus games in a long time.

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately, Mii characters are confirmed to be "banned" from online matches. You can only use them with friends. So development time was essentially wasted on them, that might explain recycled moves and taunts.
I think the idea is sound since they could use all those custom moves without you knowing, but I'm concerned that they might replace some of the legitimately good characters from the previous games (Mainly Cap and Ganondorf).

And the Amiibo thing with the bots levelling sounds kinda cool, but also kind of pointless.

Why wouldn't I want hype *** 3 piece combos like pressing A three times quickly on the ground? Spare Falcon some dignity and leave him out of the game.
So that's a "No, I don't want him in"? Righty-oooooooooooo...

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Was referring to Uprising, that's the only Kid Icarus games in a long time.
Do you mean how the moveset is repped through that game mainly? Makes sense. I can understand your point. I don't like always sticking to the latest character artwork. I think Ganondorf should be his Toon variant, for instance.

However, Link, Zelda, and Sheik are still in TP style with some small additions from other games.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Though I don't think it was your intent, it's this kind of thing that creates flame wars between self-branded casuals and competitives. The idea that a certain character being unavailable to the "With Anyone" mode makes it a waste of time irks me. So the casual scene, in which family and friends will have hours and hours of fun brawling as their warrior Miis alongside Nintendo characters, doesn't rate as important as the people playing online competetively?

Here's an unpopular opinion for ya: I think the casual/competitive argument is perpetuated by each side thinking that they're the most important and failing to have any appreciation for efforts made to please as many fans as possible.

(Again, Morbid, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that your comment EDIT:wasN'T intended to be taken as vehemently as I did, but the notion in general paved the way for me to comment)

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Though I don't think it was your intent, it's this kind of thing that creates flame wars between self-branded casuals and competitives. The idea that a certain character being unavailable to the "With Anyone" mode makes it a waste of time irks me. So the casual scene, in which family and friends will have hours and hours of fun brawling as their warrior Miis alongside Nintendo characters, doesn't rate as important as the people playing online competetively?

Here's an unpopular opinion for ya: I think the casual/competitive argument is perpetuated by each side thinking that they're the most important and failing to have any appreciation for efforts made to please as many fans as possible.

(Again, Morbid, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that your comment was intended to be taken as vehemently as I did, but the notion in general paved the way for me to comment)
I think he meant if the character has built in limitations and can't be used throughout the whole game, or mode of the game, then whats the point of adding them? Sure fun, I guess but really? IDK I'm casual and see the appeal of a mii but I also see the appeal of other characters getting that dev time.

Morbi

Scavenger

(Again, Morbid, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that your comment was intended to be taken as vehemently as I did, but the notion in general paved the way for me to comment)
No. I mean that the character cannot be enjoyed by a large portion of the consumer-base. Restricting its use for an arbitrary reason makes the purpose of having Miis negligible. For instance, if someone played online only, Mii might as well not be in the roster. They clearly developed three different Miis, all with their variations and costumes in hopes that the character would be played. However, you cannot use them in one of the most popular modes. It is counter-intuitive. I am not insinuating that it is a waste for no reason, it was inherently a waste of time to a good portion of the community including myself. I play offline all the time, I actually never really even get online, but I am not even inspired to play as them knowing that if I practice and get good that I cannot use them in any environment other than against my friends (or bots).

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Hmm... I better understand your position, @ Morbi Morbi and @ ErenJager ErenJager . Still, I run up against a wall with the attitude of "Well, this character isn't applicable to my style of playing, so it's a waste for being in the game." Like I said, in a game that tries to please all fan bases as much as possible, there will be certain things that appeal to each side. It's comparable to someone saying, "I never play online, so I don't like the fact the developers wasted time creating an on-line mode." It's not applicable to my playing style, so it shouldn't be in the game? I dunno, that just strikes me as kinda selfish.

EDIT: Let me also express that we should probably make sure we don't get too far into debate as to not derail the thread. My bad, probably, for countering someone else in the first place.

Last edited:

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman

(Again, Morbid, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that your comment EDIT:wasN'T intended to be taken as vehemently as I did, but the notion in general paved the way for me to comment)
My issue with Miis is that they feel very half-hearted and not all that thought out, when they could have made it a proper character with a fleshed out moveset from Wii Sports/play/Find Mii/etc. It's a waste of development resources that won't really please either audience. I think that both audiences can be pleased with a little effort. For Fun/For Glory was very promising to me because it showed that they wanted to cater to both audiences, unlike Brawl's efforts to appeal almost exclusively to casual audiences.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Couldn't they add a generic mii moveset so you could use it online?
Future DLC, more Mii's LOL

Morbi

Scavenger
Hmm... I better understand your position, @ Morbi Morbi and @ ErenJager ErenJager . Still, I run up against a wall with the attitude of "Well, this character isn't applicable to my style of playing, so it's a waste for being in the game." Like I said, in a game that tries to please all fan bases as much as possible, there will be certain things that appeal to each side. It's comparable to someone saying, "I never play online, so I don't like the fact the developers wasted time creating an on-line mode." It's not applicable to my playing style, so it shouldn't be in the game? I dunno, that just strikes me as kinda selfish.

EDIT: Let me also express that we should probably make sure we don't get too far into debate as to not derail the thread. My bad, probably, for countering someone else in the first place.
Understandable, just to clarify... my main point was that not everyone could enjoy the character in the same capacity; this is something intrinsic to Mii Fighters. They are the exception, which makes them a detrimental aspect to the game as they could have developed an equally entertaining character that could be enjoyed by EVERYONE. Just like every other character in the game and just like every other vanilla character in any other game.

Last edited:

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
Couldn't they add a generic mii moveset so you could use it online?
Future DLC, more Mii's LOL
Oh god, don't give them ideas. We already have figurines.

Understandable, just to clarify... my main point was that not everyone could enjoy the character in the same capacity; this is something intrinsic to Mii Fighters. They are the exception, which makes them a detrimental aspect to the game as they could have developed an equally entertaining character that could be enjoyed by EVERYONE. Just like every other character in the game and just like every other vanilla character in any other game.
This is exactly why people that say "If you don't like X character being in, just don't play them" are wrong. What they fail to understand is that development time is a finite resource. Every time a character is added, another potential character doesn't make it. Miis, a character with a very generic moveset and that isn't even playable online is a very inefficient addition. They'd be singing a different tune if they knew that the unpopular character being included means that a highly requested newcomer won't make it, such as Mewtwo, Shulk, Chrom, Ridley, Isaac, etc. (Sonic over Mewtwo is my personal grudge).

Last edited:

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
I still want Medusa over Palutena.

I knew I wasn't going to get this wish. I just wanted a female villain.

And HD snake hair.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't like Pac-Man, I think the Namco rep is going to be Lloyd Irving instead

Prototype

Smash Apprentice
The gameplay shown really disappointed me.
The newcomers shown really disappointed me.

The items and banned stages look cool.

Right now, I'm leaning towards not buying the game, which is something I never expected with Smash. :[

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
Looking forward to Amiibo, but disappointed that Pit wasn't on the table at the end :(

slicesabre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2621-2933-2738
The competitive community has already canned this game and further proves they are not worth listening to.

People making final judgement calls on this game based on a demo are not very wise people.

Now I know a lot of you will think I'm trolling with this one but please bare with me:

I'm going to wait until I play the game when it releases before I make a final judgement call on how it plays and if it is a better Smash game than the others!

Last edited:

Reoyoshi8

Smash Apprentice
The competitive community has already canned this game and further proves they are not worth listening to.

People making final judgement calls on this game based on a demo are not very wise people.

Now I know a lot of you will think I'm trolling with this one but please bare with me:

I'm going to wait until I play the game when it releases before I make a final judgement call on how it plays and if it is a better Smash game than the others!
....waiting and seeing?
That's unheard of.

Tristan_win

Not dead.

I agree with you that it's still too early to judge but you need to understand that not everyone is willing to buy a Wii U and smash U just on the hopes that it will be better. I think a lot of peoples bar's are set that it has to be X amount better then Brawl. Until the next smash demonstrate that people aren't going to mindless buy it like we all did for Brawl.

Personally my bar is fairly low, I just want it equal to Brawl and I'll buy it.

Fortress

Smash Master
Melee/Project M player here, here's a random thought I had. Trying to have some objectivity here, and not jump on the "it's not fast enough, combos don't exist, mid-tier Fox" bandwagon.

High hitstun and Brawl-like knockback so far make for a sluggish (but not quite Brawl-sluggish) 1v1 kind of scenario, but most throws and attacks (barring Fox U-Smash among a couple of others) seem pretty meaty. Made me think of doubles. Launching speeds seem really slow when compared to PM and Melee (not much into Brawl, so I'm not sure how it compares in that regard), so I figured that with the combination of heavy hits, high knockback, but lower launching speeds, that bouncing enemies off of one another for your teammates would prove to be a better doubles setting than even in Melee, as if the game was geared for it? Smash 4 seems slowed down enough to the point where Doubles could be more-easily followed, not nearly as crazy and haphazard as it tends to sometimes feel. Obviously the game seems to be geared for four players, so, who knows. Maybe team battle will make a huge comeback with Smash 4?

tl;dr: Complaints about followups being too hard or plain 'gone' due to high KB, but slower launching speeds and slower overall pace might be neat for doubles play.

Now, take that any way you would like, but I feel like Doubles play could actually be played at a pace that's not break-neck fast ala Melee, but doesn't have the insane longevity of Brawl, either. So you get some doubles play that's slowed down to the point where it's easier to manage and watch, but doesn't wind up with characters lasting into 200% constantly.

Non-objective bit: I'm personally not too thrilled about not having a lot of the tech that I'm used to relying on, but the doubles gameplay that I imagine Smash 4 supporting might not call for it, which is just fine by me. It's not the 1v1 game I'd ever really play, but Hell, dubs might turn out to be a blast.
Thoughts? I expected the tech I'm used to getting removed, which I'm not complaining about, but I did think at points during the conference, "man, seems harder to follow up on throws and whatnot, dudes get launched so far". Then I thought "what if there was another dude there to intercept the dude you just launched?" Launch speeds seemed slow enough to where this was possible, and the pace of Sma4sh overall seemed very doubles-friendly to me. I just liked the idea of that, and decided to keep an open mind about it and bring it up here.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
I start despising everyone crying about this game not being Melee 2.
What. did. you. expect.
If I want serious, competitive play, I'll just stick with Project M. More convenient - I can even play it on my PC.

But hell, SSB4 will be THE party game. I can't imagine people not appreciating that part of the game. Some of you are really blinded by their expectations.

Also -> Still looks better than Brawl, no matter what.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Here's an unpopular opinion that I thought I'd never share...

I like Smash 4. :glare:

Tiptup

Smash Cadet
I think Smash 4 will be a good game that most people will spend many hours playing.

There's an unpopular opinion for you negative nancies

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Not as unpopular as you might think. Most of the PM/Melee players I've spoken within our section of the boards are pretty pumped up.
Really? Well, then I need to head over there. The complainers around here are cancerous.

Fortress

Smash Master
Really? Well, then I need to head over there. The complainers around here are cancerous.
You're going to find people whining about something wherever you go, no matter which game's board you're on. Don't sweat it. Smash is Smash, just have fun with it. If it's not your particular flavor, then there are three other titles to pick from that I can promise will suit you. That of course being the mindset that most other people should have. Personally, I disliked Brawl, and wasn't too impressed with a lot of the stuff I saw in Sma4sh's gameplay so far, but it is too early to think one way or the other too strongly, and I am biased towards my own titles which is unfair to Sm4sh (it being an entirely different game). Besides, I'm almost obsessing over Sm4sh being the one I go to for Doubles, since I can't stand the zaniness of it in Melee/PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom