• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions - share them here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Guys I understand that tension is a bit high atm but I just want to remind everyone that if you have an issue with something or someone please take it to another thread, PMs, hit the "report" button, or contact forum support. This is not the place to debate or call other posters out.

We've done a great job with keeping this thread civil, so lets not allow our emotions to get the better of us and ruin it for everyone else now.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
My unpopular opinion: Smash 4 will actually be it's own game. Seriously, is this too hard for some people to understand? People saying that it will be "Brawl 2.0" without actually waiting for the game to be released is one huge reason as to why I often get a migraine from the Smash community. I don't want the game to be "Brawl 2.0" just as much as I don't want it to be "Melee 2.0" because I actually want a fresh experience, you know, something new? I can't stand playing the same game over and over and over again for several years because it becomes extremely stale after a while. That's why I don't care which game is "the best" because I can play whatever suits me at the moment. Sometimes I like playing Melee because I want a faster pace than brawl, sometimes I play brawl because I want more variety in the roster, other times I play 64 because I actually like trying something different.

D

Deleted member

I am completely okay with the game being more like Brawl than Melee. This is mainly due to me not having a nostalgic connection with Melee, as well as not really caring about advance techniques, and having no interest in playing competitively at the current time. I just want a fighting game where you build up percent, and kill people by knocking them off the screen by any means possible, and that is what the game is looking to be right now.

Dax

Smash Journeyman
my unpopular opinion: I don't really like too much what I saw, so far.

oh wait

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Unpopular Opinions: E3 Edition
-I prefer Miis over Palutena.
-As much as I ragged on customization. I like the way they implemented it.
-While I understand why they did it, I was a little disappointed Miis are for friends only. Though I'll respect it and move on.
-I kinda wished you could play as the Amiibo. That said I'm probably gonna get one of whoever I'm maining (and also Mr. G&W).
-I don't really care much for Pac-man in general. That said I really want to see more of him. He looks interesting.
-WHY U NO MR. G&W SAKURAI?!
-We won't get anymore characters from E3.
-It could be the atmosphere right now, but any hype I picked up is lost. Consider it dead.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Unpopular Opinions: E3 Edition
-I prefer Miis over Palutena.

-While I understand why they did it, I was a little disappointed Miis are for friends only. Though I'll respect it and move on.

-I don't really care much for Pac-man in general. That said I really want to see more of him. He looks interesting.
-WHY U NO MR. G&W SAKURAI?!

-It could be the atmosphere right now, but any hype I picked up is lost. Consider it dead.
Fixed for unpopular opinion accuracy.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
I kind of agree with MisterVideoGaming, I'm not feeling hyped at all right now. But I feel like the main reason for that is the fact that this board is like a pissed off kirby that only sucks up joy and excitement some times... Like right now :D

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
For me, all of my hype was used up yesterday. I'm all hyped out and don't particularly mind it.

Gives me more time to put off 150cc in MK8 play Kid Icarus.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I kind of agree with MisterVideoGaming, I'm not feeling hyped at all right now. But I feel like the main reason for that is the fact that this board is like a pissed off kirby that only sucks up joy and excitement some times... Like right now :D
NegativeBoards drained me of any hype I had.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
For me, all of my hype was used up yesterday. I'm all hyped out and don't particularly mind it.

Gives me more time to put off 150cc in MK8 play Kid Icarus.
My hype levels are just exhausted. It's not that I'm not excited, I'm just tired and a little overwhelmed. I'm also a little hype drained because of facing an October release date.

Hyrule Warriors has my hype right now. I. CAN'T. CONTAIN.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Unfortunately I agree with everyone in terms of my hype levels being drained.

I was clearly overly optimistic that Smash 4 would be the game to bridge the melee and brawl communities together but after seeing the mechanics in action + the crazy levels of backlash the game has already received my optimism has quickly been crushed.

Of course there's still time for things to turn around but as of now I'm pretty deflated... I feel like a popped balloon lol

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Unfortunately I agree with everyone in terms of my hype levels being drained.

I was clearly overly optimistic that Smash 4 would be the game to bridge the melee and brawl communities together but after seeing the mechanics in action + the crazy levels of backlash the game has already received my optimism has quickly been crushed.

Of course there's still time for things to turn around but as of now I'm pretty deflated... I feel like a popped balloon lol
This is exactly how i feel, man i wish i could go back to my casual mentality where character, Assist Trophies and stages announcements were the things that hyped me the most. But after playing project M and going back to Melee more extensively, i just can't help but feel discouraged to what the game might become.

Last edited:

Dairz

Smash Ace
I'm still super hyped for Smash. I thought everything looked great, and I wasn't present on the boards during E3, so I missed a bunch of this negativity I'm hearing about. Shame that this is apparently the unpopular opinion.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'm still super hyped for Smash. I thought everything looked great, and I wasn't present on the boards during E3, so I missed a bunch of this negativity I'm hearing about. Shame that this is apparently the unpopular opinion.
Trust me when I say you're lucky.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
I don't care that Gematsu is real now, the roster is not up to snuff if they're the only newcomers and we lose any vets besides Squirtle and Ivysaur. Even if cut characters and newcomers got added as DLC, I'd rather have the game be delayed half a year to give them the spot in the base game they deserve.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Unpopular opinions after the E3 events:

People declaring the game perfect after about 4 minutes of playing the Best Buy demo are no better than those declaring it ruined after about 4 minutes of playing the Best Buy demo.

The uber-optimists are creating just as toxic an atmosphere as all of the pessimists, whether it be in regard to the gameplay itself or the more casual-oriented elements such as the roster.

Assuming Gematsu is real (and I believe it is) this is going to be my least favorite batch of newcomers in the series. However, Pac-Man is my favorite inclusion ever, so there's at least some balance.

Smash Run strikes me as much more enjoyable than standard Vs. Mode in the 3DS version.

The 3DS stages are just generally pretty bad.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
People declaring the game perfect after about 4 minutes of playing the Best Buy demo are no better than those declaring it ruined after about 4 minutes of playing the Best Buy demo.
I'm glad this is the unpopular opinion thread.

But damnit I wish I could hear those words of extreme praise of the game in person.

I'd love to hear some people actually enjoying the game rather than NegativeBoards where no one seems to be having fun with it.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
After trying to ledge hog someone. I don't like the new ledge mechanic. It feels unnatural. But I was also caught off guard when it happened. Maybe my opinion will change.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I played the demo at Smashfest with Zelda and Rosalina. I royally sucked (partially cuz I had to use the Classic Remote, which I've used maybe twice before in Smash?), but I still had a blast getting my butt kicked. Everyone was having a great time spectating and yelling and bursting out in "OOOOOH"s, which attests that this game is already on its way to being a success.

However, I'm really close to not caring about the competitive scene at all anymore. I've tried to look at the game from all angles, hoping that it will make as many people happy as possible in all play styles. But the fact that so many are writing off a game that's still in development because these demos aren't catering specifically to them is really getting on my nerves. Now I'm at a point where I almost don't care if the competitive scene gets anything they're hoping for because it still won't be enough. It will never be enough so long as they aren't the sole focus of the game.

Let me repeat, I initially wished (and still do wish, really) for a game that would please as many fans as possible, casual and competitive and every shade in between. But I find it difficult to maintain that goodwill when it isn't reciprocated.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
Whats the point of taking advanced stuff out of the game? Casual players aren't going to use it anyway so it doesn't affect them. Why do something like that that specifically hurts one side of the smash community?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Whats the point of taking advanced stuff out of the game? Casual players aren't going to use it anyway so it doesn't affect them. Why do something like that that specifically hurts one side of the smash community?
Well, I would imagine the logic behind it is that advanced techniques can't be used by casual players, but advanced players can. Meaning that people with access to those skills would have an unfair advantage.

But that in and of itself is unfair. The only place where that would be a problem is online, which has a matchmaking system in the form of Global Smash Power to counter it anyway, so removing the techniques seems arbitrary.

That being said, I think the reason Melee techniques are not present is because the engine is reworked from Brawl, not because they wanted them removed. Though I don't see them adding them back in when were unintentional in the first place.

Last edited:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Thoughts? I expected the tech I'm used to getting removed, which I'm not complaining about, but I did think at points during the conference, "man, seems harder to follow up on throws and whatnot, dudes get launched so far". Then I thought "what if there was another dude there to intercept the dude you just launched?" Launch speeds seemed slow enough to where this was possible, and the pace of Sma4sh overall seemed very doubles-friendly to me. I just liked the idea of that, and decided to keep an open mind about it and bring it up here.
This what what I hate about the game, I don't really care that there's no AT's, cause honestly that's never coming back, I expected L-canceling to maybe come back, but no dice. Basically there's no AT's at all atm, i don't think that even DACUS is possible, which sucks cause I would like SOME techs to be present. the grabbing the ledge thing i'm fine with, your just gonna have to spike and gimp more instead of grabbing the ledge and rolling. Also its harder to DD, but at least no tripping, meh.

and that's what i'm pissed off about, I wanted combos, and BECAUSE of the rocket KB at low percent, that may seem nonexistent, in brawl, floatyness and hitstun canceling were the problem. And that got fixed, but why the hell did they increase the KB to insane levels? almost no chance to DI, almost no chance to follow up and extend a combo, because your gonna have to chase, and even though hitstun can't be broken, because of the KB by the time I get there they'll just double jump out of it and camp. and when I saw the invitational, I was right. Example: Wii fit trainer. I DO NOT want smash to go back to the campy running away type thing, but because of the insane KB, there's like... no chance of aggro play. weak kill moves but insane KB? wth is that, kirby's down throw launches you up mid screen at low percent wth is that. Not even brawl had that, just insta air dodge.

So yeah, that's my main problem with this game, I quoted you because I thought I was the only one thinking this. the game is its own however its getting disliked because there's no followups, I really hope the KB is fixed or else we'll just see zoney campy playstyles....AGAIN. which is what I do not want, I want aggro to be rewarded again. Dubz should have crazy stuff though. And at least there's some combos if the moves are weak enough, like that mario u-air combo to grab was ok. but i'm not even sure that'll be guaranteed with the constant grounded shielding (huge ass shields will make it even more defensive), again I don't like the campy direction this game seems to be going in, and I hope i'm wrong about my prediction cause i want to enjoy this game.

/mini-rant

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
I am disappointing in this game, for the more agreed upon reason, and by the unpopular (or less discussed) opinion that I feel like the developers were lazy in developing this game, again.

Remember, when we were hyped about Ganondorf not being Captain Falcon in Brawl? It didn't happen. I fell in the same trap again, thinking, "That can't happen again, right?"

Anyway, a lot of the final smashes not revealed turned out to be rehashes of their Brawl versions. Fox with Landmaster, Link with the hugely uninspired Triforce Slash, Mario's lame fire thingy. Toon Link looking exactly the same and not taking advantage of the plethora of material he has in his own games. Ike's Eruption, etc. etc.

The transition from 64 to Melee was so phenomenal, the introduction to side specials, air dodges, light shielding, trophies, Adventure/Allstar mode, Event matches. It was a true sequel. Then Melee to Brawl happened, and a lot of features were removed or gimped. Things that should have changed remained the same, i.e. Ganondorf, Target practice was butchered. I was just overall extremely disappointed when I first got Brawl, and this was way before I actually knew anything about Competitive Smash. I had hopes for SSB4, but I feel like it was just me being a fool, and that the devs are even lazier than ever. Nothing new was added.

Morbi

Scavenger
Unpopular opinion that contradicts my earlier opinion: I am actually happy with our e3 reveals, I enjoy each and every one of those characters and I am enthusiastic about the future of the roster.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Unpopular opinion that contradicts my earlier opinion: I am actually happy with our e3 reveals, I enjoy each and every one of those characters and I am enthusiastic about the future of the roster.
Gotta say: Kind of agree. Pac-Man is handled exellently, Palutena...well, I knew it was coming, so that likely explains why I wasn't that impressed, and Miis now have a lot of potential.

I said this before, but I'm happy that when the added Miis, they are pretty much creating custom characters with Mii faces on them. They really went all the way wiht incorporating them, which could be a good or bad thing.

Dairz

Smash Ace
Nothing new was added.
Edge mechanics? Smash Run? Character customization? And what about all the the new characters/stages/items? It's also not exactly fair to compare content when the new games aren't coming out for 4-6 months, and we obviously don't know everything.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
currently what I'm seeing of the roster...
it just screams lackluster.
No retro vets have been confirmed except one, and with Mii taking attention off the true stars.
I'm pretty sure that a vet was cut for Pac-Man. The hitstun and speed look exactly the same as Brawl's, if not even less hitstun and slower gameplay. Melee was the pinnacle of Smash, Brawl dropped it a bit but it was still playable. What is Smash 4? Better than Brawl? Or even worse?

it just looks like Sakurai is catering to the public opinion and trying to raise as much hype and sales as possible.
  • adding heavily requested characters and probably cutting out veterans to do so
  • Brawl-like gameplay catering to the main audience: casuals
  • adding WFT to raise hype
  • adding 3DS in (sales) AND SIMULTANEOUSLY announcing the same characters cross platform even though a 3DS cannot play a Wii U, limiting the Wii U version
    • Wii U discs are 25GB. 3DS carts are 8GB.
if advanced techs really have been removed, then there goes competitive.
if they were removed on PURPOSE... well...

$100 for this?

I hope I'm wrong.
I really hope the game does not cut a single veteran more than necessary.
I really REALLY hope that Ness, Lucas, ROB, Falcon and the rest of Brawl vets will show up as hidden or revealed. The best thing that could happen to this roster is if every Melee and Brawl vet also showed up. i don't care if it's DLC, just as long as it's free. I'd wait two years for this to happen and then I'd pay $250 for the game.

the last two parts? probably not going to happen.

You know what?
I was going to buy a Wii U and Smash 4 the second it came out.
The reveal of Pac-Man and Mii was like an eye opener for me. I wouldn't have minded Pac-Man if he didn't make someone be cut, or Mii if they don't take attention away from other characters, but they made me start to think about the game. Now it just looks like to me that there are so many things that are just so wrongly done with this game.

I'm going to wait for opinions from Smashboards before I spend $400 on playing this game. And from knowledgeable and established people.

Last edited:

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
Edge mechanics? Smash Run? Character customization? And what about all the the new characters/stages/items? It's also not exactly fair to compare content when the new games aren't coming out for 4-6 months, and we obviously don't know everything.
Yeah, the character customization is a breath of fresh air. The edge mechanic isn't really a new mechanic, it's just a changed mechanic, and the motive for it isn't really innovation, it is more of Sakurai trying to mitigate the effectiveness of ledge hogging, I would presume. Ironically, it doesn't really help that much? As the new ledge steal mechanic doesn't work when trying to steal during helplessness, but it does mitigate ledge stall, which is a side effect that is welcomed.
The New characters, items, and stages are expected from a NEW game, it's the other things that I'm talking about.
Smash Run is also very new, I'll reserve my judgement for it when I actually play it.
I did exaggerate the no new thing bit, but it doesn't hold a candle to the 64/Melee transition.

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
My unpopular smash 4 opinion? Well after playing it at bestbuy it seems too much like brawl and unless major changes are made it won't be competitive. Aerials and throws have too much lag after they connect. Aerials have too much lag after landing. Dash dancing and dash cancels are gone which is bad. There is no momentum carried over from a dash to a jump. Still pretty floaty especially on certain characters like wii fit trainer. Unless they fix these things I might not even bother getting a wii u.

Gust14

Smash Apprentice
I am disappointing in this game, for the more agreed upon reason, and by the unpopular (or less discussed) opinion that I feel like the developers were lazy in developing this game, again.

Remember, when we were hyped about Ganondorf not being Captain Falcon in Brawl? It didn't happen. I fell in the same trap again, thinking, "That can't happen again, right?"

Anyway, a lot of the final smashes not revealed turned out to be rehashes of their Brawl versions. Fox with Landmaster, Link with the hugely uninspired Triforce Slash, Mario's lame fire thingy. Toon Link looking exactly the same and not taking advantage of the plethora of material he has in his own games. Ike's Eruption, etc. etc.

The transition from 64 to Melee was so phenomenal, the introduction to side specials, air dodges, light shielding, trophies, Adventure/Allstar mode, Event matches. It was a true sequel. Then Melee to Brawl happened, and a lot of features were removed or gimped. Things that should have changed remained the same, i.e. Ganondorf, Target practice was butchered. I was just overall extremely disappointed when I first got Brawl, and this was way before I actually knew anything about Competitive Smash. I had hopes for SSB4, but I feel like it was just me being a fool, and that the devs are even lazier than ever. Nothing new was added.
This post = The truth. Also these complains are agreed upon both casual and competitive players. And the worst is that they want to compensate by adding a bunch of unrequested features. Theyve got no excuses

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
The fact that you have to hope that this game gets a competitive scene is a flaw of the game in my opinion... there should be no hoping, up until this point, it seemed like Sakurai was finally making a competitively viable Smash game than Brawl (with the GC adapter, improved speed, etc), but then he comes out and says that he views Smash as a "Party Game".
Well, with the game itself, I could easily see it becoming competitive. We did just watch a huge tournament, and it was a joy to watch. I simply worry that the general consensus will be "this isn't as good as Melee" and it'll get the same treatment as Brawl.

SonicMario

Smash Master
The Miis/Mii Fighters are going to go down in Smash Bros. History as one of the better inclusions of the game in the long term. From both the Fanbase & Business perspectives.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
I played the demo at Smashfest with Zelda and Rosalina. I royally sucked (partially cuz I had to use the Classic Remote, which I've used maybe twice before in Smash?), but I still had a blast getting my butt kicked. Everyone was having a great time spectating and yelling and bursting out in "OOOOOH"s, which attests that this game is already on its way to being a success.

However, I'm really close to not caring about the competitive scene at all anymore. I've tried to look at the game from all angles, hoping that it will make as many people happy as possible in all play styles. But the fact that so many are writing off a game that's still in development because these demos aren't catering specifically to them is really getting on my nerves. Now I'm at a point where I almost don't care if the competitive scene gets anything they're hoping for because it still won't be enough. It will never be enough so long as they aren't the sole focus of the game.

Let me repeat, I initially wished (and still do wish, really) for a game that would please as many fans as possible, casual and competitive and every shade in between. But I find it difficult to maintain that goodwill when it isn't reciprocated.
I get where this comes from. I really do.
But most of the people you are talking about are A) extremists(which isn't healthy) or B) people who have only ever cared about Smash's gameplay(not necessarily bad, just different).
I consider myself a competitive player. And yes, I would like some more movement options and an overall offensive buff.
But that doesn't mean I don't like everything else. I like seeing reveals like Mac and Palutena. The stages and overall game look beautiful. The new items look fun and interesting for when I want to do that. And I get hype for Megaman's final smash like everyone else #superfightingrobot
The only reason the feel is not always reciprocated, like you said, is because as long as Sakurai is the head of development, there will always be something for the casual player. That's not always guaranteed for the competitive community.
Sakurai took everything that made Melee such a competitive hit out on purpose. You've gotta imagine that some people have scars. Now does that justify them judging a demo 4 months before release? Definitely not. But the actions of extremists does not justify pissing on the whole branch.
A few people in the Project M Social Thread have been looking for possible new ATs and have been commenting on the new comboability as well as discussing possible rulesets based on what we know. We think Sm4sh is a chance for a new type of competition, and yes we have our gripes and judgements, but we have been keeping an open mind.
Yes the Smash community as a whole is toxic. The Melee vs. New Smash argument is a cancer coming back for Round 2. But don't give up on the other half of the community because the loudest voices are especially venomous. There's plenty of positive hype coming from members of the competitive community, you just have to search for it and filter out the antihype.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I get where this comes from. I really do.
But most of the people you are talking about are A) extremists(which isn't healthy) or B) people who have only ever cared about Smash's gameplay(not necessarily bad, just different).
I consider myself a competitive player. And yes, I would like some more movement options and an overall offensive buff.
But that doesn't mean I don't like everything else. I like seeing reveals like Mac and Palutena. The stages and overall game look beautiful. The new items look fun and interesting for when I want to do that. And I get hype for Megaman's final smash like everyone else #superfightingrobot
The only reason the feel is not always reciprocated, like you said, is because as long as Sakurai is the head of development, there will always be something for the casual player. That's not always guaranteed for the competitive community.
Sakurai took everything that made Melee such a competitive hit out on purpose. You've gotta imagine that some people have scars. Now does that justify them judging a demo 4 months before release? Definitely not. But the actions of extremists does not justify pissing on the whole branch.
A few people in the Project M Social Thread have been looking for possible new ATs and have been commenting on the new comboability as well as discussing possible rulesets based on what we know. We think Sm4sh is a chance for a new type of competition, and yes we have our gripes and judgements, but we have been keeping an open mind.
Yes the Smash community as a whole is toxic. The Melee vs. New Smash argument is a cancer coming back for Round 2. But don't give up on the other half of the community because the loudest voices are especially venomous. There's plenty of positive hype coming from members of the competitive community, you just have to search for it and filter out the antihype.
Thank you SO much for calmly, reasonably, and OBJECTIVELY explaining your position. I admit that my comment was a blanket statement and I was honestly wary of saying "competitive scene" because I knew I'd be lumping in the reasonable with the unreasonable. And I haven't actually given up the desire for all Smashers to get something special in the new games, it's just hard to stay so positive and well-wishing. However, for the sakes of those like you, I do hope the competitive game meets your approval!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom