• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions - share them here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Now I know this isn't the place for discussion.

But apparently "speed being somewhere between melee and brawl" means it's half melee playstyle and half brawl playstyle.
Please read what I say, I have had three arguments recently where the people just didn't read a word of what I said.[/quote]

Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord
Funny, I can say the same for you.

What you don't seem to get is that you can't force people to play a game they don't want to play. If that's how it worked Sonic the Fighters would be at Evo because we forced the rest of the FGC to support us until we were standing. But we'd never truly stand because noone wants to play/watch Sonic the Fighters. If that happens with Sm4sh it's noone's fault, it just wasn't meant to be.

To be fair, he didn't come in with an opinion. He started stating "facts"
Ignored you, that ends this redundant conversation.
A lot of people need to understand how the Melee players feel right now.
They were really hoping for Smash 4 to be closer to Melee and Sakurai virtually promised that.
Now not only did the comboes fail to return (for the most part), a lot of ATs were scrapped and otherwise the game really is the second coming of Brawl.
Most Melee players would start hating Smash 4 after seeing the tournament. Even if it's not finished, what it's shown us as of now is NOT encouraging.

Project M is not QUITE the same as playing an official game and it's not as available anyway.
i promise you we understand how,they feel.they haven't shut up about it since E3 ended.

Combos exist, we don't have enough time with the game to find them, but they exist.

I don't see it being closer to brawl as a bad thing, because it is still it's own game.

There are numerous people saying its a lot faster than brawl and it is fun to play.

Unpopular opinion: hi nintendo handled the tourney with 4 player matches and then 1v1's is a far better system.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Please read what I say, I have had three arguments recently where the people just didn't read a word of what I said.
While my post was short, I do happen to cross many sites at a time and smashboards is not the only one. The post where you said "implying", did not exist as I typed out my reply.

It's why it wasn't quoted.

Last edited:

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Well, if the opinion pretty much boils down to "I think people of X community are mentally disabled, and should be ashamed of being part of X community. They should just embrace X game already", then it's pretty hard to avoid arguments.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Warning Received
Well, if the opinion pretty much boils down to "I think people of X community are mentally disabled, and should be ashamed of being part of X community. They should just embrace X game already", then it's pretty hard to avoid arguments.
I would comment on this but no discussion allowed

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the united states discussion force.

I have over 300 confirmed discussions and am extensively trained in forum warfare....

Last edited:
Oh, here is unpopular idea, maybe. I do not know actually. Anyway, give all characters that had props the ability to actually use it. Falco using two guns at one point. That holser at Captain Falcon's side. Ganon's sword from melee and brawl. I mean come on. Quit sandbagging you characters.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Highly toxic unpopular Smash opinion:

I still don't get Palutena's appeal even after her reveal. Her moveset looks like a chaotic mess of moves but none that exactly stick out as unique. I feel like I'm missing out on something.

To make matters worse Sakurai heavily favouring the KI series to insane narcissistic levels is kind of annoying when you consider series like Donkey Kong or Metroid comparatively still haven't gotten much love.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
To make matters worse Sakurai heavily favouring the KI series to insane narcissistic levels is kind of annoying when you consider series like Donkey Kong or Metroid comparatively still haven't gotten much love.
This is actually a really good point.

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
Unpopular opinion: I don't feel guilty for liking melee or PM. I don't feel guilty for wanting changes to what I see in smash 4. I don't feel guilty for not playing brawl. I'm not going to cave to one unit talk because I won't be guilt mongered into supporting something I don't want to. I will say all things about myself that that people want to call me anyway. I'm a "melee elitist" I'm a "tourneytard" and I'm proud of supporting that which I see as the best of smash. Condemn me because this is my standard and I accept no other. Accepting smash 4 simply because you don't want strife is wrong. It is right to be requesting and asking for changes to improve it while there is still time to improve it. Would I rather have smash 4 play like melee or PM? You bet I would. I'm proud to admit it.

I have posted in other places the changes I want to see in smash 4 but I will say them again here. I don't need wavedashing or l-canceling but I would like them. What the game does need is dash dancing, dash canceling and momentum carried over from dash to jump. It needs slightly high gravity and fall speeds. It needs less lag and aerials when they connect and when you land from them. It needs less lag from throws. And finally it needs to make sure that you can't cancel out of hit stun. That is all. Those are the only changes that I see that the game needs. I'm proud to proclaim that I think that is what it needs. I won't say it's perfect because saying it would be insulting nintentdo and their desire to put out the best game possible.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Highly toxic unpopular Smash opinion:

I still don't get Palutena's appeal even after her reveal. Her moveset looks like a chaotic mess of moves but none that exactly stick out as unique. I feel like I'm missing out on something.

Donkey kong has two characters, metroid has two characters, kid icarus has two characters.

There isn't too much favoritism, mind you there is favoritism.

Unpopular opinion:I think luigi shouldn't be In Smash, he's too close to mario

Last edited:

hariooo

Smash Apprentice
When one poster is allowed to troll the thread for 3 pages by saying it's Melee players' personal failings and responsibilities that Brawl died but the one guy pointing out how ridiculous that is gets the warning instead.

#justsmashboardsthings

_yuna

Smash Apprentice
You should be able to critique Sakurai even if you haven't made a game yourself. :yoshimelee:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The moment Palutena was the main reveal for E3 was the moment I was convinced that Sakurai does indeed have a huge bias for the characters in the game he made.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I would be perfectly fine with the only newcomers being those shown in the Gematsu leak, and I at the same time don't think all of Sakurai's decisions are awesome or untouchable.

(My Pre-Reveal most wanted newcomers were: Megaman, Ridley, Little Mac, an Animal Crossing rep, Palutena, Takamaru, and Shulk. This newcomers roster already has way more for me then Brawl's did.)

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I will probably play Smash 4 along with every previous installment for the next six years, just like I have played Brawl since 08 and just like I have played melee since 01.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
-Palutena looks boring. That trailer was so rushed it didn't seem like she had anything special. Compare her trailer to that of WFT, Villager, Greninja, Rosalina or Little Mac. Instead of focusing on what she normally does, they did all of her possible special moves. It's a jumbled mess and she's my least favorite newcomer so far. Considering how strongly I disagreed with Rosalina and any Pokemon besides Brawl + Mewtwo, BEFORE they were revealed, and I actually enjoyed the idea of Palutena, this was a major letdown to me. She was also used as a "hype" character, which doesn't seem right. She doesn't really get people excited for Smash like the others did.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Midna and Wolf Link would make the best addition the the SSB4 roster. I said it back when Brawl was in production and I stand by it today.

I know it won't happen because Brawl was her best shot... Let me dream!:sadeyes:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm with @ YoshiandToad YoshiandToad here, Palutena looks like a very bland addition compared to the rest of the newcomers. I didn't know anything about Palutena before coming here honestly, so I figured that like with Little Mac, another character who I knew little about, people supported her because she'd make an awesome fighter. Little Mac greatly surprised me with what an awesome addition he was, so for some time I thought Palutena would probably be a pretty good addition in the long run too. What we got was a ton of cringe-worthy dialog, fan-service shots of her ass and boobs, some beams here and there, and that's it. It was such an underwhelming final reveal in the E3 Direct, even more so because her reveal was already completely butchered beforehand by all the leaks with her, they really just should have kept her until post-release, or maybe show her at the Roundtable, and have shown Pac-Man in the Direct instead, and that says a lot since I'm not very good friends with Pac.

Some people say her gimmick is that she has totally unique moves in customization, but what exactly does that matter in the long run? Once you're in the match you'll most likely know what moves she has since you can only play with customized moves locally, customized moves are disabled in online and are also likely to be disabled in tourneys, so people are going to be forced to use and learn her default moveset the majority of the time regardless. In the long run I'd rather have a character with a special set that's really unique rather than a character who has 12 different bland moves to choose from, things like upped movement speed is not a good special move.

Oh, and since I'm posting here for the first time since pre-Rosalina I might as well throw in that I think the newcomer roster is shaping up to be really weak, and with the Gematsu leak slowly unveiling the rest it's shaping up to be even worse imo. If that's the final result then it's the weakest newcomer cast of any Smash game, and I don't even consider Melee's to be all that good, but at least it's got big stars like Bowser and Ganondorf.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
-Palutena looks boring. That trailer was so rushed it didn't seem like she had anything special. Compare her trailer to that of WFT, Villager, Greninja, Rosalina or Little Mac. Instead of focusing on what she normally does, they did all of her possible special moves. It's a jumbled mess and she's my least favorite newcomer so far. Considering how strongly I disagreed with Rosalina and any Pokemon besides Brawl + Mewtwo, BEFORE they were revealed, and I actually enjoyed the idea of Palutena, this was a major letdown to me. She was also used as a "hype" character, which doesn't seem right. She doesn't really get people excited for Smash like the others did.
FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE!!!! I agree with this (except Palutena looking boring). She really has a lot of different specials but only a handful seem to be useful competitively. She has a bad run speed. So bad. She really needs that lightweight move. They didn't show too many combos for her. She does have some decent potential with lightweight, auto reticle, explosive flame, and any recovery move except rocket jump. Other than those few moves than she probably won't work too well.

I really think that they were guising her poorness with all the custom moves they showed.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
There is no worse feeling than wanting to debate for something, but it existing in this specific thread.

Unpopular opinion - Ivysaur and Squirtle don't need to come back.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
The bottom right of the touch screen needs to work as a C-stick not the circle pad pro. That would never work.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
I won't believe the Gematsu Leak until the game is out and everything's 100% correct.
Say what you want but it's a leak after all. The thought of saying it is accurate doesn't even cross my mind until it's not completely proven.

But I gotta say the Rhythm Heaven enemy in Smash Run made it more believable.

Last edited:

chronomantic

Smash Ace
Smash 4 should have had a title. 'For Wii U' is lazy, unimaginative, etc.
I would have preferred a cheesy title even, anything over nothing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom