• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions - share them here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatPersonGuy

Smash Cadet
I feel that everyone's going to love this game regardless, and this currently toxic community will quickly swell to a frustratingly happy community, with negativity basically being outlawed. It won't be until at least a year after launch that the community will actually get to a point where progress can be made.

New ATs will be discovered eventually, but the game itself will change beyond control of anyone.

Though not one of my most wanted newcomers is getting in this game, I still love this game's roster.

If Lucas is not in this game at least as an alternate costume then I am calling Sakurai out on laziness. Because if there's room for a male option to the WFT, then there certainly is time to keep in a veteran who people actually really liked, to an extent.

There is no agenda against the competitive community, and there should not be one. There is no reason to deliberately rule out a large part of the community.

Speed Demon

Smash Rookie
Actually, I like 64, which still has a tiny community compared to melee.melee elitists tried brawl, didn't like it and went back to melee. People are hating on smash 4, a game they haven't even played, and putting it down before trying it.

Even if they end up getting the game, they will have a predisposition against it because of opinions they have now. Then they will think their opinions were met and put the game Down and go back to melee.

I already bet the competitive scene for this game will last ~2 years
Because of this.

We'll probably have the project M team trying to "fix" the game before 3 years pass.

Exactly why melee will be the only game In The series to have a competitive scene.

Unpopular opinion: this is probably going to be the best installment in the series.
You obviously don't have any reading comprehension. Allow me to break this all down-

Melee elitists only want melee 2.0.

When they got brawl, they were P.O. because it isn't melee

Because they couldn't accept anything new, they stuck with melee and let the brawl scene die out.

They made project m to turn an already perfectly fine game into melee 2.0

Now they hate on smash 4&5 because it isn't melee. They'll probably let it's scene die like brawl's.

Without melee elitists, this community would be much better off. People obsessed with melee who refuse to move on are why brawl has such a small scene.

If they could accept new games as new experiences and move on to them with open arms and embrace change, project M wouldn't exist.

Smash 4 is destined to end up like brawl because melee elitists won't accept change.

And PM is irrelevant to these ssb4 hate threads. They aren't complaining that it isn't project M, they are complaining it isn't melee.

Unpopular opinion to be on topic: MII was an awesome addition.

Brawl dying out is not the melee communities fault because many Brawl players quit Brawl to play PM so really the Brawl players got tired of their own game and went on to the "Melee 2.0" you speak of. You cant blame Melee players. Really the Brawl players ended up switching teams and realizing which game is better in their eyes. If they wanted to continue to play Brawl they would but since they dont then their own community fell apart. Noone can bring you down besides yourself so if the Brawl community was brought down that means they did it themeselves because they did not focus on maintaining it. The Melee community just ended up growing from it but they didnt put a gun to a Brawl player's head and force him to join Melee or PM. The players did it on their free will so please dont make false accusations against Melee or PM because they are just other games that either fail or prevail based on how good they are deemed by the players. If Brawl wasnt seen as good then thats too bad. Some games die. Its just reality.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Brawl dying out is not the melee communities fault because many Brawl players quit Brawl to play PM so really the Brawl players got tired of their own game and went on to the "Melee 2.0" you speak of. You cant blame Melee players. Really the Brawl players ended up switching teams and realizing which game is better in their eyes. If they wanted to continue to play Brawl they would but since they dont then their own community fell apart. Noone can bring you down besides yourself so if the Brawl community was brought down that means they did it themeselves because they did not focus on maintaining it. The Melee community just ended up growing from it but they didnt put a gun to a Brawl player's head and force him to join Melee or PM. The players did it on their free will so please dont make false accusations against Melee or PM because they are just other games that either fail or prevail based on how good they are deemed by the players. If Brawl wasnt seen as good then thats too bad. Some games die. Its just reality.

There wasn't a big brawl scene to begin with, melee players never helped support it.

nessokman

Smash Lord
What were they supposed to do, if I may ask?
Accept change and move on to a perfectly fine game. They'll do the same thing to smash 4, it will end up with a dead competitive scene just like brawl.

Last edited:

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Accept change and move on to a perfectly fine game. They'll do the same thing to smash 4, it will end up with a dead competitive scene just like brawl.
Well I don't play League because I don't like it.
It may be "perfectly fine", but I don't like it, so why should I play it?
Same with Brawl.
I don't like Brawl, so why should I play it?

If I don't like Smash 4, I'm not gonna play it.

It's the same with those elitists.
They may be ***** about it, but why should they have to play a game they don't like?

Last edited:

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
So.....you expect people to play a game they have no interest in playing and drop the game they have a lot of interest in playing.
I don't think that's how it works.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I hate R.O.B., Snake, Mii Fighters, Chorus Men, and WFT.
I don't see how highly-mildly requested characters don't take priority over some of them.

Morbi

Scavenger
Unpopular Opinion: I am embarrassed to be a part of the Smash community as that community is fairly non-existent. There is a Smash 64 community, there is a Melee community, and there is a Brawl community. It is extremely divided which attenuates my enthusiasm for it.

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice
I hate R.O.B., Snake, Mii Fighters, Chorus Men, and WFT.
I don't see how highly-mildly requested characters don't take priority over some of them.
If Chorus Men makes it and the old 'Cap doesn't, I'm going to be very pissed.

Unpopular Opinion: I am embarrassed to be a part of the Smash community as that community is fairly non-existent. There is a Smash 64 community, there is a Melee community, and there is a Brawl community. It is extremely divided which attenuates my enthusiasm for it.
Go look up the Dramatica articles for "Super Smash Bros." and "Tourneyfag" if you haven't already. I'm sure you'll get a kick out of it.

Last edited:

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
Recency =/= Relevancy

And Recency<<Relevancy

Relevancy to Nintendo or the industry is more important than the character's recent success or appearances. Both matter, but I rest my case.

Also, I don't like Melee elitists
Or Brawl elitists
Or 64 elitists
Or any elitists

This community may have even more if the "They changed it now it sucks" trope than the Sonic community, and that's kind of sad. Wait no, very sad.

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace

There wasn't a big brawl scene to begin with, melee players never helped support it.
And it was never their duty to do so. If it was a good competitive game then they would have, but the fact of the matter is that it was not.

Brawl sales far exceeded sales of melee, if you take out the melee elitist you still have a HUGE amount of brawl players and yet the competitive brawl scene STILL died. If brawl was truly a great competitive fighter then it would have flourished even without the melee elitists.

Last edited:

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
If Chorus Men makes it and the old 'Cap doesn't, I'm going to be very pissed.
Man, there's no way that's a unpopular opinion... I want to main the Captain this game x.x

UOpinion: Not interested in playing any of the newcomers. Got everything I want with veterans (assuming they all return)

nessokman

Smash Lord
So.....you expect people to play a game they have no interest in playing and drop the game they have a lot of interest in playing.
I don't think that's how it works.
If they could accept the change and move on, they wouldn't be uninterested in sm4sh.

Melee players have caused the biggest uproar, this game will fail competitively because of the lack of their support.
And it was never their duty to do so. If it was a good competitive game then they would have, but the fact of the matter is that it was not.

Brawl sales far exceeded sales of melee, if you take out the melee elitist you still have a HUGE amount of brawl players and yet the competitive brawl scene STILL died. If brawl was truly a great competitive fighter then it would have flourished even without the melee elitists.
The Wii had at least a 50,000,000 install base when Brawl Came out, almost all of the wii's sales were to casuals, and that big number of sales on brawl was because of casuals.

Casuals don't hold tourney's, that is what THIS community does, and they failed it. They let brawl die.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion

Pretty much how I expect most people react when they read something in here they don't like.

Last edited:

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
If they could accept the change and move on, they wouldn't be uninterested in sm4sh.

Melee players have caused the biggest uproar, this game will fail competitively because of the lack of their support.
I think what we're getting at is that Melee players have nothing to do with it. They're going to keep playing Melee and it'll be fine.

What the game needs is a strong community to support it, something Brawl lacked, not because of Melee players, because not as many people wanted to play Brawl at a high level. And that's okay. You seem to be just blaming Melee because it has the biggest scene.

Plenty of people have "accepted" the changes Brawl gave us, they just still prefer Melee. I wouldn't blame a Skullgirls player if somehow the Skullgirls 2 community died while the original Skullgirls thrived. It's just a matter of preference.

Sm4sh's success does not rely on Melee players dropping everything and converting, it relys on a dedicated community to help it thrive. And it doesn't matter the background of the community members. Will some Melee players convert? yeah. Will some Brawl players convert? yeah. Will some of both groups not convert? count on it. Honestly, I think Sm4sh will get a community from day one. With all the #OneUnit talk I'm sure plenty of players will at least try it out.

Now, going from there it's hard to say. It all depends on if the game suits a majority of players' needs. If it does, great. One more smaller unit to make up the larger #OneUnit. If it doesn't for the majority, it'll at least be put on life support, another side effect of #OneUnit. Personally, I hope it doesn't fail, but if it does, it can't be helped. Because if people don't want to play a game they shouldn't have to.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Reading these last three pages gave me a headache but seeing Sir_Africa's avatar in these last posts put me in a good mood xD

Yeah I've mostly avoided these boards lately with all the negativity going on killing the hype.Though I've recently learned this is supposed to be competitive Smash forum apparently so I guess I can see why everyone's upset. I'm just a filthy casual so my opinion means nothing here.
Also the snooze-fests that were MS's and Sony's conferences just killed my hype for E3 in general.

- I still dislike Miis but I think they're animated pretty well and I'm glad the movesets aren't based off of Wii Sports or any of the Wii series games. Also I don't care about playing as Elijah Wood or Ice-T or anyone. That novelty has died on me so I'll just be using my Mii and be on my way. I guess this makes Goku and Shrek possible though for you weirdos out there. :3
- Pacman has won me over. Loving what they've done with him.
- Palutena's eyes look weird to me. I dunno it could be that seeing her in anime form and then transitioning to a realistic style was just weird. Other than that, I'm glad she's in. ^_^
- Gematsu is stupid and I refuse to believe it to be true, even though it's been right up to this point. I'm just that stubborn. :p

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice
Sm4sh's success does not rely on Melee players dropping everything and converting, it relys on a dedicated community to help it thrive. And it doesn't matter the background of the community members. Will some Melee players convert? yeah. Will some Brawl players convert? yeah. Will some of both groups not convert? count on it. Honestly, I think Sm4sh will get a community from day one. With all the #OneUnit talk I'm sure plenty of players will at least try it out.
I personally think the community of Smash 4, if not the community of all the Smashes, would certainly be more prosperous if there were significantly less mudslinging. I would go so far as to say that the amount of people who hate the players between the Smash iterations is far worse than anything else I've encountered. Halo 2 had a whole site of opponents named Halo2Sucks.com, which had a pile of original Halo enthusiasts slagging the game, and yet it pales by comparison to how long this bitter enmity has endured through the Smash series.

The fractured community is what damages the games the most. Tournament players and casuals and the like can't seem to get along, and they've all got different views on which direction Smash should be going. There doesn't even have to be solidarity, merely common respect and open-mindedness.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
I personally think the community of Smash 4, if not the community of all the Smashes, would certainly be more prosperous if there were significantly less mudslinging. I would go so far as to say that the amount of people who hate the players between the Smash iterations is far worse than anything else I've encountered. Halo 2 had a whole site of opponents named Halo2Sucks.com, which had a pile of original Halo enthusiasts slagging the game, and yet it pales by comparison to how long this bitter enmity has endured through the Smash series.

The fractured community is what damages the games the most. Tournament players and casuals and the like can't seem to get along, and they've all got different views on which direction Smash should be going. There doesn't even have to be solidarity, merely common respect and open-mindedness.
Well that's always the problem. I was just talking more for Sm4sh's tournament lifespan.

nessokman

Smash Lord
I think what we're getting at is that Melee players have nothing to do with it. They're going to keep playing Melee and it'll be fine.

What the game needs is a strong community to support it, something Brawl lacked, not because of Melee players, because not as many people wanted to play Brawl at a high level. And that's okay. You seem to be just blaming Melee because it has the biggest scene.

Plenty of people have "accepted" the changes Brawl gave us, they just still prefer Melee. I wouldn't blame a Skullgirls player if somehow the Skullgirls 2 community died while the original Skullgirls thrived. It's just a matter of preference.

Now, going from there it's hard to say. It all depends on if the game suits a majority of players' needs. If it does, great. One more smaller unit to make up the larger #OneUnit. If it doesn't for the majority, it'll at least be put on life support, another side effect of #OneUnit. Personally, I hope it doesn't fail, but if it does, it can't be helped. Because if people don't want to play a game they shouldn't have to.

You sound like you think a community for smash 4 will just randomly materialize out of freaking nowhere.it doesn't work like that!You can't just draw a transmutation circle around casuals and make them competitive players!

The community for each game is built of players from the last game, plenty of 64 players moved on to melee and helped build the community, as well as newcomers to the scene helping to build it.

the newcomers need veterans to be the mold that helps hold it all together. Veterans from melee refuse to make the transition, so there was nothing holding the brawl scene together.

It ended up falling apart because of the melee elitists who refuse to move on.

The small remaining scene brawl does have is because of the few who made the transition.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
using silly gifs doesn't make your argument better
You sound like you think a community for smash 4 will just randomly materialize out of freaking nowhere.it doesn't work like that!You can't just draw a transmutation circle around casuals and make them competitive players!
I said some players would transition. It doesn't matter where from. Some people may come out of the blue. Some may come from Melee. Hell, some may come from 64. But I already covered this so

The community for each game is built of players from the last game, plenty of 64 players moved on to melee and helped build the community, as well as newcomers to the scene helping to build it.
That's because the majority of people liked the changes from 64 to Melee unlike what happened with Melee to Brawl

the newcomers need veterans to be the mold that helps hold it all together. Veterans from melee refuse to make the transition, so there was nothing holding the brawl scene together.

It ended up falling apart because of the melee elitists who refuse to move on.

The small remaining scene brawl does have is because of the few who made the transition.
Here's the thing tho, A) we don't have to leave our old games to play the new game, and B) if the majority doesn't like it, then why should it survive?

Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord
using silly gifs doesn't make your argument better

I said some players would transition. It doesn't matter where from. Some people may come out of the blue. Some may come from Melee. Hell, some may come from 64. But I already covered this so

That's because the majority of people liked the changes from 64 to Melee unlike what happened with Melee to Brawl

Here's the thing tho, A) we don't have to leave our old games to play the new game, and B) if the majority doesn't like it, then why should it survive?
I use those GIFS to show what I literally did when I read what you posted.

I never said you ha to leave your old games, but supporting the new ones until their community is standing is certainly necessary. Old smashers are what keeps these new games going.

You are obviously stuck in your ways, and you are only wasting my time.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Which part of the No criticising others' opinions do you people not understand?

This thread is NOT meant for debates or arguments.

Last edited:

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
I never said you ha to leave your old games, but supporting the new ones until their community is standing is certainly necessary. Old smashers are what keeps these new games going.

You are obviously stuck in your ways, and you are only wasting my time.
Funny, I can say the same for you.

What you don't seem to get is that you can't force people to play a game they don't want to play. If that's how it worked Sonic the Fighters would be at Evo because we forced the rest of the FGC to support us until we were standing. But we'd never truly stand because noone wants to play/watch Sonic the Fighters. If that happens with Sm4sh it's noone's fault, it just wasn't meant to be.

Which part of the No criticising others' opinions do you people not understand?

This thread is NOT meant for debates or arguments.
To be fair, he didn't come in with an opinion. He started stating "facts"

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
To be fair, he didn't come in with an opinion. He started stating "facts"
Not said by FalKoopa, but it's better to report than actually cause an argument, if what they said was offensive enough or broke rules. This does happen, and reports have gone out.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
I look forward to stage reveals more than characters. Smash is a playable Nintendo museum, and the insane variety of stages the series has seen over the years is where the vast majority of that history can be seen in action. Jumping from a match in Flat Zone 2 to one on Bridge of Eldin is a blast and a half for me.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
What discussion is allowed?
There are a lot of blurred lines it seems
Some people get by with arguing, some don't.
This thread just seems to ask for differing opinions so a clearer message would be appreciated.
This thread isn't meant for discussion at all.

It was created so that people can post their opinions without the fear of being criticised, and without having to get into arguments.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
This thread isn't meant for discussion at all.

It was created so that people can post their opinions without the fear of being criticised, and without having to get into arguments.
We're in general discussion tho
I'm being serious
I was under the impression this entire forum was meant for discussion

If you still don't change your mind I guess I'll leave you to it

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I'm being serious

If you still don't change your mind I guess I'll leave you to it
Rules of the thread take precedence over general rules as long as the rules of the thread don't break the rules of the site.

At least, that is what I believe.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
A lot of people need to understand how the Melee players feel right now.
They were really hoping for Smash 4 to be closer to Melee and Sakurai virtually promised that.
Now not only did the comboes fail to return (for the most part), a lot of ATs were scrapped and otherwise the game really is the second coming of Brawl.
Most Melee players would start hating Smash 4 after seeing the tournament. Even if it's not finished, what it's shown us as of now is NOT encouraging.

Project M is not QUITE the same as playing an official game and it's not as available anyway.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
They were really hoping for Smash 4 to be closer to Melee and Sakurai virtually promised that.
Now not only did the comboes fail to return (for the most part), a lot of ATs were scrapped and otherwise the game really is the second coming of Brawl.
Most Melee players would start hating Smash 4 after seeing the tournament. Even if it's not finished, what it's shown us as of now is NOT encouraging.
Could you perhaps provide me with a source that supports the notion that Sakurai promised that? I was laboring under the delusion that he wanted it to be a hybrid this entire time.

Unpopular Opinion: I feel as though move-set customization should be competitively legal.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Could you perhaps provide me with a source that supports the notion that Sakurai promised that? I was laboring under the delusion that he wanted it to be a hybrid this entire time.

Unpopular Opinion: I feel as though move-set customization should be competitively legal.
He said the gameplay speed would be between Brawl and Melee but it was implying that the game itself would be halfway between Brawl and Melee. Also in reality it's only a little faster than Brawl anyway, I wouldn't quite say half.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Now I know this isn't the place for discussion.

But apparently "speed being somewhere between melee and brawl" means it's half melee playstyle and half brawl playstyle.

That's not how speed works last I checked.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
No arguments,
Opinions only

Final Destination Smashboards.
I'm being serious
It has been stated multiple times that arguments/debates are free to be taken to other threads or PMs... Just not here.

The fact that no criticism is allowed is what makes this particular thread unique from the others. It's a safe haven of sorts for people who want to get their Smash 4 opinions across without having to worry about sparking unwanted debates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom