• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions - share them here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
You're going to find people whining about something wherever you go, no matter which game's board you're on. Don't sweat it. Smash is Smash, just have fun with it. If it's not your particular flavor, then there are three other titles to pick from that I can promise will suit you. That of course being the mindset that most other people should have. Personally, I disliked Brawl, and wasn't too impressed with a lot of the stuff I saw in Sma4sh's gameplay so far, but it is too early to think one way or the other too strongly, and I am biased towards my own titles which is unfair to Sm4sh (it being an entirely different game). Besides, I'm almost obsessing over Sm4sh being the one I go to for Doubles, since I can't stand the zaniness of it in Melee/PM.
I understand that Smash is Smash, and complainers will complain, but we just got a tournament... filled with Reggie goodness... the TOP Melee players... and people are still giving Sakurai grief over DDing, or whatever. Now I'm not a big Melee player, and I can understand if some people are upset, but there's no reason to call Smash 4 a 'failure' or 'terrible' when we haven't even played it. I'm sure once it comes out there will be another rift in the community, and people will stick with Melee, and some will migrate over to Smash 4.

All I'm asking is for the Melee people to calm down. We've only seen the Alpha version of Smash Bros 4, the metagame is non-existent, and there are probably still mechanics to try out and/or exploit to make it an interesting gmae.

I suppose what I'm really tired of is people asking for Melee 2.0, and giving Sakurai grief over it. The man just flew back to Japan for Pete's sake, JUST so he can get back to working on the game to insure it's the best it can be before launch.

It's just all a common case of American selfishness. Disgusting.

Last edited:

Fortress

Smash Master
and people are still giving Sakurai grief over DDing, or whatever.
To be fair, Dash Dancing was the only thing I was begging to see added after the tournament.

All I'm asking is for the Melee people to calm down.
Plenty of PM players upset, too. I'd be willing to bet there's at least one 64 player upset out there. Not really fair to call out the Melee community specifically. I know plenty of Melee players who are excited for Sm4sh, and plenty in the PM community who are complaining about it.

It's just all a common case of American selfishness. Disgusting.
B'uuuuuuuuuh there are plenty of European and Japanese players who I am sure are complaining just as much.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
To be fair, Dash Dancing was the only thing I was begging to see added after the tournament.
You're a Melee player, and I can understand that. To you, a good Smash game has DDing. I'm not saying you in particular are doing this, but people are coming to this game VERY close-minded.
Plenty of PM players upset, too. I'd be willing to bet there's at least one 64 player upset out there. Not really fair to call out the Melee community specifically. I know plenty of Melee players who are excited for Sm4sh, and plenty in the PM community who are complaining about it.
You're right, I'm not being super specific. I'm sure there are lots of people upset from all walks of Smash. I'm not saying they're wrong to be upset, but a lot of people are coming to this thing a little too closed-minded.
[/quote]

B'uuuuuuuuuh there are plenty of European and Japanese players who I am sure are complaining just as much.
Alright, let me rephrase that. Typical Fan boy Selfishness.

Last edited:

Fortress

Smash Master
You're a Melee player, and I can understand that. To you, a good Smash game has DDing. I'm not saying you in particular are doing this, but people are coming to this game VERY close-minded.
PM player, actually. And it's not so much that I want wavedashing, waveshining, SHFFL, L-Cancelling, moonwalking, and every tech under the sun added to the game, just that the one addition of the dash dance would lighten up the pace just thaaaat much more, open up just a few more options for the roster, and still be easy to learn. It's not really close-minded, it's just those skidding turnaround animations are uuuuugly. And punishable. I mean, you'll never catch me turning around on the ground in Sma4sh. Once I reach the end of the stage, it's time to B-air my way to the other end.

The only reason I would cry of joy if DD'ing specifically was added, is because something as simple as turning the other direction seems extremely punishable. And in a series so heavily based around movement, it just seems off.

Last edited:

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
The gameplay seems perfectly fine to me. A joy to play, and I really hope Smash 4 gets a competetive scene.
And it sucks to say that seems to be an unpopular opinion...

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
The gameplay seems perfectly fine to me. A joy to play, and I really hope Smash 4 gets a competetive scene.
And it sucks to say that seems to be an unpopular opinion...
The fact that you have to hope that this game gets a competitive scene is a flaw of the game in my opinion... there should be no hoping, up until this point, it seemed like Sakurai was finally making a competitively viable Smash game than Brawl (with the GC adapter, improved speed, etc), but then he comes out and says that he views Smash as a "Party Game".

hariooo

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
People are arguing against the mythical diehard melee player who both wants and expected Melee 2.0 to be released do so because they can't come up with a reasonable argument otherwise.

#unpopularopinion

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
--> If a customization move is great but not broken, I don't know why ban it.
I will speak clearly :

"I don't see balance being the focus, again. Maybe some custom moves help bottom-chars characters to enters in a okay level in competitive. Obviously OP custom-moves will be there, but this OP's moves we can make banned.Competitive smash is already full of very particular rules (I'm okay with that)"

For real, seems easier than build P:M HD....

nessokman

Smash Lord

He pointed out melee's community because they are more blunt and rude about the new game not being a melee expansion.

Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord
I know plenty of blunt and rude people from the PM community. I'm a huge *******.
How many threads have there been about people disappointed with it not being closer to melee. PM is an irrelevant mod, you don't compare a developer made game I it.

The melee community is awful to shoot down anything that isn't their game.

Brawl would have had a great community and scene if the melee fans got over their "it isn't melee, it isn't good" and played it. PM wouldn't exist if they just moved on.

Fortress

Smash Master
How many threads have there been about people disappointed with it not being closer to melee. PM is an irrelevant mod, you don't compare a developer made game I it.
>These two phrases right next to one another.

Wat. I don't even know where to begin with that. I suppose that makes you awful for shooting down my game..?

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Here's an unpopular opinion for ya: I think the casual/competitive argument is perpetuated by each side thinking that they're the most important and failing to have any appreciation for efforts made to please as many fans as possible.
This is the unpopular opinions thread, not the facts thread. :colorful:

Last edited:

hariooo

Smash Apprentice

Brawl would have had a great community and scene if the melee fans got over their "it isn't melee, it isn't good" and played it. PM wouldn't exist if they just moved on.
I hear more people telling Melee players to stick to their own game than anything else on these threads. Once they actually do that, blame Brawl's lack of longevity on those players doing exactly what you asked. Talk about delusional. Talk about hypocrisy.

Everyone played Brawl when it came out. Everyone gave it a shot. Brawl had the community it deserved.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Warning Received
>These two phrases right next to one another.

Wat. I don't even know where to begin with that. I suppose that makes you awful for shooting down my game..?
No, I'm shooting a 13 year old game that everyone worships down, an the fan mod to make the next game like melee die.

Those fools are shooting down a game that hadn't even come out.

Fortress

Smash Master
No, I'm shooting a 13 year old game that everyone worships down, an the fan mod to make the next game like melee die.

When I hear "PM is irrelevant", "PM is worthless", "PM isn't a real game", all I can do is look at the numbers, yo. Tournament entry over the months is only getting stronger.

Big House 3: Melee Entrants: 171, PM Entrants: 90, Brawl Entrants: No Brawl event held
APEX 2014: Melee Entrants: 629, PM Entrants: 382, Brawl Entrants: 114
SKTAR 3: Melee Entrants: 237, PM Entrants: 252, Brawl Entrants: No Brawl event held

This isn't to mention the numerous cities around me alone that are PM-exclusive, and the higher entry rates for PM events in East/West Washington, and lack of Brawl at said events.

So, sorry, would you like to run that 'irrelevancy' bit by me one more time?

Last edited:

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
People are arguing against the mythical diehard melee player who both wants and expected Melee 2.0 to be released do so because they can't come up with a reasonable argument otherwise.

#unpopularopinion
It's kinda ridiculous that posts like these get warnings while people from the other side of the argument can be as nasty and generalizing as they like. It really is true that if you happen to have a preference for melee, or if you are just disappointed with the Smash4 demo, you're a greedy melee elitist that should shut up. I guess it goes to show how petty people can be over opinions.

hariooo

Smash Apprentice

LOL you just sound mad now. This is the most transparently bitter post I've seen on these forums.

Brawl couldn't kill Melee. No real reason to think Smash 4 will without Nintendo intervention.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
It's kinda ridiculous that posts like these get warnings while people from the other side of the argument can be as nasty and generalizing as they like. It really is true that if you happen to have a preference for melee, or if you are just disappointed with the Smash4 demo, you're a greedy melee elitist that should shut up. I guess it goes to show how petty people can be over opinions.
I can infract your post if you'd like?

People need to chill out in this thread. I've already passed out several warnings, and the others that haven't are getting a verbal one right now. Remember: the goal of this thread is supposed to be an outlet for expressing unpopular opinions without being criticized. If you need a refresher then visit the OP.

Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord
When I hear "PM is irrelevant", "PM is worthless", "PM isn't a real game", all I can do is look at the numbers, yo. Tournament entry over the months is only getting stronger.

Big House 3: Melee Entrants: 171, PM Entrants: 90, Brawl Entrants: No Brawl event held
APEX 2014: Melee Entrants: 629, PM Entrants: 382, Brawl Entrants: 114
SKTAR 3: Melee Entrants: 237, PM Entrants: 252, Brawl Entrants: No Brawl event held

This isn't to mention the numerous cities around me alone that are PM-exclusive, and the higher entry rates for PM events in East/West Washington, and lack of Brawl at said events.

So, sorry, would you like to run that 'irrelevancy' bit by me one more time?
You obviously don't have any reading comprehension. Allow me to break this all down-

Melee elitists only want melee 2.0.

When they got brawl, they were P.O. because it isn't melee

Because they couldn't accept anything new, they stuck with melee and let the brawl scene die out.

They made project m to turn an already perfectly fine game into melee 2.0

Now they hate on smash 4&5 because it isn't melee. They'll probably let it's scene die like brawl's.

Without melee elitists, this community would be much better off. People obsessed with melee who refuse to move on are why brawl has such a small scene.

If they could accept new games as new experiences and move on to them with open arms and embrace change, project M wouldn't exist.

Smash 4 is destined to end up like brawl because melee elitists won't accept change.

And PM is irrelevant to these ssb4 hate threads. They aren't complaining that it isn't project M, they are complaining it isn't melee.

Unpopular opinion to be on topic: MII was an awesome addition.

Last edited:

Fortress

Smash Master
You obviously don't have any reading comprehension. Allow me to break this all down.
Nah, comprehension's fine, still in fumes over the 'irrelevant game' remark. Melee 'elitists' are why your game has a scene at all, don't forget that. Most every player who was playing professional Melee moved onto Brawl for a few months after its release. You saw some big numbers of players come in, and then disappear. It's not that Melee 'elitists' don't accept change, it's that they gave it a chance, tried it, didn't enjoy it, and went back to what they did. Don't fault them for that, for doing what they like, and wanting a follow-up to their game.

I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate that if you like Melee, and want a follow-up, you're a stuck-up, hateful elitist who's ignorant and doesn't accept another game at all, but wanting the game to die, have no follow-up ever, and instead want your own game to have one is totally fair. There are such things as Brawl elitists, you know?

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
because melee elitists won't accept change.
Change isn't always for the best.

Forcing people to change simply because the next thing is hot and new isn't the right way to approach things.

It's not right to not give each game it's fair chance though.

Melee players gave brawl its fair chance but they didn't enjoy it. That's fine.

Melee players haven't given smash 4 a fair chance yet, but from what they have played they are assuming a lot. When the game comes out, people will give it that same fair chance, but in the end they will stick with what they enjoy.

Last edited:

hariooo

Smash Apprentice
But Brawl was made for everyone. Sounds like it shouldn't need a few melee elitists to keep the game alive if it was that great.

D

Deleted member

Change isn't always for the best.

Forcing people to change simply because the next thing is hot and new isn't the right way to approach things.

It's not right to not give each game it's fair chance though.

Melee players gave brawl its fair chance but they didn't enjoy it. That's fine.

Melee players haven't given smash 4 a fair chance yet, but from what they have played they are assuming a lot. When the game comes out, people will give it that same fair chance, but in the end they will stick with what they enjoy.
This. While I might not like the fact that people are already disliking Smash 4, they're at least going to or already giving it a chance. If they don't like it, fine, if they do, great, just don't fault them for the former.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
But Brawl was made for everyone. Sounds like it shouldn't need a few melee elitists to keep the game alive if it was that great.
Competitively, it suffered, because there was a more satisfying competitive experience in melee for most people.

Casually, I want to say it was better than Melee for most people.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Nah, comprehension's fine, still in fumes over the 'irrelevant game' remark. Melee 'elitists' are why your game has a scene at all, don't forget that. Most every player who was playing professional Melee moved onto Brawl for a few months after its release. You saw some big numbers of players come in, and then disappear. It's not that Melee 'elitists' don't accept change, it's that they gave it a chance, tried it, didn't enjoy it, and went back to what they did. Don't fault them for that, for doing what they like, and wanting a follow-up to their game.

I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate that if you like Melee, and want a follow-up, you're a stuck-up, hateful elitist who's ignorant and doesn't accept another game at all, but wanting the game to die, have no follow-up ever, and instead want your own game to have one is totally fair. There are such things as Brawl elitists, you know?
They don't accept change, they let the brawl scene die out quickly, they rant and rave that the new smash isn't closer to melee, and they go off on heir own and mod an already fine game to their needs. God only knows they'll do it to the new game to and let it die.

Melee elitists are only hurting. m2K was once melee only, brawl therapy helped him a lot.

Last edited:

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
I can infract your post if you'd like?

People need to chill out in this thread. I've already passed out several warnings, and the others that haven't are getting a verbal one right now. Remember: the goal of this thread is supposed to be an outlet for expressing unpopular opinions without being criticized. If you need a refresher then visit the OP.
If you think giving me an infraction for posting my opinion is necessary and not petty at all, go ahead, man.

"Someone's opinion is based on their perspective (a casual, a tournament competitive player, an online player, etc) and what they suggest is (without being purposely antagonistic) for the improvement of their "group" and not a detriment to any other demographic."

Fortress

Smash Master
Warning Received
They don't accept change, they let the brawl scene die out quickly, they rant and rave that the new smash isn't closer to melee, and they go off on heir own and mod an already fine game to their needs. God only knows they'll do it to the new game to and let it die.

Melee elitists are only hurting. m2K was once melee only, brawl therapy helped him a lot.
You realize that your Brawl Elitist attitude is just as unwarranted and inappropriate, right? It's not wrong to be a die-hard for your own title and want a real successor to it. You're a Brawl player, you got your Brawl follow-up. Be happy about that. ****.

This attitude is why many of the fight game communities outside of Smash can't ****ing stand us. You get people who say one game's competitive playerbase are 'full of elitists' just for liking their own game and wanting a new one, yet for some reason think it fine to **** on their opinions and turn around having the same one about their own title.

This. While I might not like the fact that people are already disliking Smash 4, they're at least going to or already giving it a chance. If they don't like it, fine, if they do, great, just don't fault them for the former.
I would agree, but apparently it's wrong to go out, give something a chance, dislike it, and go back to your own game. Makes you a Melee elitist or some bull****. Expectations are to completely embrace Brawl/Smash 4 even if they're not your game of choice and let the game you love die.

Hang on, while I ask the SF4 community why they don't pull this bull**** with the SFII community.

lolwarning. But no warnings for the people saying "Maylay players are bad since they don't like what I like and don't just give up their game and play mine."

Last edited:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
If you think giving me an infraction for posting my opinion is necessary and not petty at all, go ahead, man.
I was being facetious, but since a lot of people seem to be in bad moods I can understand why it'd be taken literally.

This is the last warning for this thread. Calm down.

Last edited:

Fortress

Smash Master
Smash 4 doesn't need wavedashing or l-canceling to be a good competitive game.
Not really an unpopular opinion. Hell, as a PM player, I'd be glad for the need of L-Cancelling to be gone. Don't need to do that crap in SFIV. My only complaint so far, is that doing something as simple as turning around takes forever, and is punishable, since you can't dash dance. If you want to change direction, you've got to shield and roll, which puts you at risk of getting grabbed/chased, or jump into the air, which presents its own set of risks. I don't really think tech on the level of wavedashing needs to be implemented to make Smash 4 interesting, but I at least think something as simple as turning the other direction shouldn't be as punishable in a game so-heavily focused around movement.

EDIT: Blighted Agent confirmed for stupid-tier MTG creature when paired with Hands of Binding and Ethereal Armor. Invisible Stalker > Blighted Agent tho.

Last edited:

BlightedAgent

Smash Rookie
NNID
BlightedAgent
Not really an unpopular opinion. Hell, as a PM player, I'd be glad for the need of L-Cancelling to be gone. Don't need to do that crap in SFIV. My only complaint so far, is that doing something as simple as turning around takes forever, and is punishable, since you can't dash dance. If you want to change direction, you've got to shield and roll, which puts you at risk of getting grabbed/chased, or jump into the air, which presents its own set of risks. I don't really think tech on the level of wavedashing needs to be implemented to make Smash 4 interesting, but I at least think something as simple as turning the other direction shouldn't be as punishable in a game so-heavily focused around movement.

EDIT: Blighted Agent confirmed for stupid-tier MTG creature when paired with Hands of Binding and Ethereal Armor. Invisible Stalker > Blighted Agent tho.
I think Dash Dashing will be in Smash 4, but it won't be as fast as Melee.

Also, for the MTG card, I used Piston Sledge to power up Blighted Agent along with Phyrexian Crusader and Skitheryx

hariooo

Smash Apprentice

Also, for the MTG card, I used Piston Sledge to power up Blighted Agent along with Phyrexian Crusader and Skitheryx
Pretty easy to tell who doesn't play Melee when they think people want a "fast" dash dance.

Last edited:

Fortress

Smash Master
I'd be fine with it no matter what the speed, to be honest. I would just die for a less-punishable and committal way to simply turn around.

Pretty easy to tell who doesn't play Melee when they think people want a "fast" dash dance.
Not a bad thing to not play Melee. Just a reason for a player to educate themselves on something, which in the end doesn't hurt anybody.

nessokman

Smash Lord
You realize that your Brawl Elitist attitude is just as unwarranted and inappropriate, right? It's not wrong to be a die-hard for your own title and want a real successor to it. You're a Brawl player, you got your Brawl follow-up. Be happy about that. ****.

This attitude is why many of the fight game communities outside of Smash can't ****ing stand us. You get people who say one game's competitive playerbase are 'full of elitists' just for liking their own game and wanting a new one, yet for some reason think it fine to **** on their opinions and turn around having the same one about their own title.

I would agree, but apparently it's wrong to go out, give something a chance, dislike it, and go back to your own game. Makes you a Melee elitist or some bull****. Expectations are to completely embrace Brawl/Smash 4 even if they're not your game of choice and let the game you love die.

Hang on, while I ask the SF4 community why they don't pull this bull**** with the SFII community.

lolwarning. But no warnings for the people saying "Maylay players are bad since they don't like what I like and don't just give up their game and play mine."
Actually, I like 64, which still has a tiny community compared to melee.melee elitists tried brawl, didn't like it and went back to melee. People are hating on smash 4, a game they haven't even played, and putting it down before trying it.

Even if they end up getting the game, they will have a predisposition against it because of opinions they have now. Then they will think their opinions were met and put the game Down and go back to melee.

I already bet the competitive scene for this game will last ~2 years
Because of this.

We'll probably have the project M team trying to "fix" the game before 3 years pass.

Exactly why melee will be the only game In The series to have a competitive scene.

Unpopular opinion: this is probably going to be the best installment in the series.

Last edited:

Fortress

Smash Master
...reeeeeeeally doubt PMBR will move onto S4 that soon. It was hard enough and lengthy enough a process just to learn how to start changing CSS files in Brawl, took forever to get the kind of things we see here.

Unpopular/Popular opinion: Smash 4 has me sold if Dash Dancing and crouching from a dash are implemented. Simple options that are not overcomplicated and nebulous (L-cancel lol), and add a huge depth to the game while making something as simple as turning around not nearly as punishable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom