• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions - share them here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
This game should work without it crashing, blowing up my house, and killing my family when it starts up.

Yeah, sue me haters.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
"Smash Bros 4 is looking great". That's quite unpopular in France, at least. I think the game graphics are unfairly bashed, especially when compared to Mario Kart 8.

Morbi

Scavenger
"Smash Bros 4 is looking horrible" seems like it would be an unpopular opinion. Maybe if I wait to say it right after e3?

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
"Smash Bros 4 is looking horrible" seems like it would be an unpopular opinion. Maybe if I wait to say it right after e3?
Well, I never saw complaints about graphics there. The main two things I see in France, by the way, are complaints about Polygons (Luigi's nose almost became a running gag on a french board), and complaints on Fox's Fur, AKA Wooden Fox (because of his arm).

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Smash 4 looks "nice" but I was disappointed When I saw that some characters models hardly changed. My biggest gripes with the game are the way that :4diddy::4fox::4luigi::4mario: and eventually:falco: look.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't care about the roster at all, because there will ALWAYS be a character I enjoy playing.

There. I said it.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Smash 4 looks "nice" but I was disappointed When I saw that some characters models hardly changed. My biggest gripes with the game are the way that :4diddy::4fox::4luigi::4mario: and eventually:falco: look.
Well, there's not a lot of characters who changed between the two SSB games. Only Ike and Bowser got a big remodeling so far. And Mario is quite like Kirby to me: nothing to change, they also were already good in Brawl.

For example, a character whose design didn't change, but look a lot better in SSB4:

I think the fact people find the game not that great looking is the fact it doesn't realy a lot on visual effects like blur, bloom... They're shaders, but it's not too pronunced, and I think it deserves the game aesthetic nicely. It's a fighting game, the action must be as clear as possible.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Well, there's not a lot of characters who changed between the two SSB games. Only Ike and Bowser got a big remodeling so far. And Mario is quite like Kirby to me: nothing to change, they also were already good in Brawl.

For example, a character whose design didn't change, but look a lot better in SSB4:

I think the fact people find the game not that great looking is the fact it doesn't realy a lot on visual effects like blur, bloom... They're shaders, but it's not too pronunced, and I think it deserves the game aesthetic nicely. It's a fighting game, the action must be as clear as possible.
Its not that I want a big remodeling its just that they did almost nothing to the characters. Even :4kirby:and:4pikachu: have some notable differences. Meanwhile they only brightened the colors with :4mario:. The changed the color of the boots on :4fox:... I just like getting a fresher take on the characters. Kirby looks way better in Smash 4 than in Brawl. Mario looks almost exactly the same and so does Fox. I guarantee we'd get a lot less of "Brawl 2.0" if at least Mario looked different. Just my opinion though....

As far as Zelda goes she looks different enough to me. She has detail in her models that the Wii U enhances in comparison to Brawl. Mario's design doesn't have much detail that can be improved on from Brawl. Especially if they make it a point to go with a less detailed model. Zelda's face looks entirely different as well so I don't think thats a good example.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Alright thanks everyone.

-If a Star Fox character HAS to be cut, I'd vastly prefer Falco over Wolf. Falco is just one of Fox's co-pilots, but Wolf is Fox's rival--he should stay.

Though yeah, I don't want either cut.

-The Wii Remote by itself should have never been a control option, it sucks way too much to be a useful controller in the context of Smash. I want it taken out, "I can't afford to buy a Nunchuk / Classic Controller / Wii U Pro controller" be damned.

-Jigglypuff should recieve significant changes if she's brought back. Sing is nearly useless and while I know Pound gives extra horizontal distance it's too unexciting of an attack.

-Toad deserved to get in more than Rosalina.

-Mario and Zelda need one more character each--Toad and Impa--and Pokémon needs 6 characters total. And I want one of those to be Sceptile, not Mewtwo.

And last but not least,

-Ganondorf needs an original moveset. The status as the slower, heavier, more hard-hitting Captain Falcon clone should instead go to Black Shadow.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
not related with the post above but...

I played Brawl with Wiimote + Nunchuck,... and I liked. :T

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
I really enjoyed the Subspace Emissary. As soon as me and my brother were done with VS mode when we got the game, we went straight to SSE and played all the way through. Their attempt at a story was good, excellent if you consider that they had to add nearly every single character into the plot line. I know that they're not, because Sakurai already said so, but it would have been nice if they added some sort of story mode, or a similar one-player mode to Smash 4.

On that note, I really liked the idea of the Playstation Allstars story and training modes, and I feel like those would be suitable options for Smash 4 single-player modes.

I would love for them to bring back Break the Targets and Board the Platforms, but character specific ones seem too unfeasible (40+ unique target tests that have to be tailored to each individual character, another 40+ for platforms). Although with Sakurai's particular attention given to this game, anything's possible.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Its not that I want a big remodeling its just that they did almost nothing to the characters. Even :4kirby:and:4pikachu: have some notable differences. Meanwhile they only brightened the colors with :4mario:. The changed the color of the boots on :4fox:... I just like getting a fresher take on the characters. Kirby looks way better in Smash 4 than in Brawl. Mario looks almost exactly the same and so does Fox. I guarantee we'd get a lot less of "Brawl 2.0" if at least Mario looked different. Just my opinion though....

As far as Zelda goes she looks different enough to me. She has detail in her models that the Wii U enhances in comparison to Brawl. Mario's design doesn't have much detail that can be improved on from Brawl. Especially if they make it a point to go with a less detailed model. Zelda's face looks entirely different as well so I don't think thats a good example.
Well, I'm maybe too much a Zelda fan, but my point is, Zelda's design is the same (Twilight Princess) yet, it had a major change. But, seriously, how can we change Kirby or Mario? They were already perfectly accurate in Brawl, so it's logicial that they are... Well accurate in there too. A lot of the cartoonyy characters have round, simple designs, so changes are less noticeable, compareded to humans like character Like Zelda or Marth. And still, I think Pikachu evolved quite a lot no it's not Raichu now.

And still about Mario, I think a lot of people don't realize his overall still have a fabric effect, that are simply less noticeable because it's rendered by shaders now, instead of a plain texture. It also looks more like a workwear than jeans, I personally like that.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Well, I'm maybe too much a Zelda fan, but my point is, Zelda's design is the same (Twilight Princess) yet, it had a major change. But, seriously, how can we change Kirby or Mario? They were already perfectly accurate in Brawl, so it's logicial that they are... Well accurate in there too. A lot of the cartoonyy characters have round, simple designs, so changes are less noticeable, compareded to humans like character Like Zelda or Marth. And still, I think Pikachu evolved quite a lot no it's not Raichu now.

And still about Mario, I think a lot of people don't realize his overall still have a fabric effect, that are simply less noticeable because it's rendered by shaders now, instead of a plain texture. It also looks more like a workwear than jeans, I personally like that.
The denim look on the Mario Bros always bugged the **** out of me in brawl.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
not related with the post above but...

I played Brawl with Wiimote + Nunchuck,... and I liked. :T
Yeah, I know. Wiimote + Nunchuk, Classic Controller (Pro), Wii U Pro Controller, and maybe even GamePad are all good options now that every controller is wireless and GameCube controllers don't have an unfair advantage.

I just expressed that the Wiimote by itself should be taken out as a control option because it doesn't work nearly as well as the other options.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest

I'm not really talking about Zelda or Kirby. The characters I listed in the original post are the ones I have problems with. All of the other ones look fine/fresh to me. There are plenty of ways to change the designs of any characters. They can make minor tweaks to the overall design. I don't recall Bowser looking the way he does in any of the Mario games. Peach has more realistic proportions. I'm sure its not impossible to give Mario a more normal sized head or make his eyes look bigger or something more to separate his design from Brawl more so than the color. This isn't really the thread for this. Just posting my opinion. Though you managed to grab the only pic of Mario I'd say is "good". I like the lighting in that pic especially.

Last edited:

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
I'm not totally certain how unpopular this is, but I'm actually a bit concerned about the 3DS version. Not in the 'it's going to steal Wii U sales' or 'it will be a worse version' or anything like that, but... I don't have the greatest faith in the 3DS's circle-pad's durability. Granted, I've *never* had a problem with any other Nintendo controller (aside from one gamecube one that lost its little nub bit at the top), but...

I'unno, I'm not sure if Smash's relatively quick, twitchy gameplay is a good fit for the circle-pad.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
I'm not totally certain how unpopular this is, but I'm actually a bit concerned about the 3DS version. Not in the 'it's going to steal Wii U sales' or 'it will be a worse version' or anything like that, but... I don't have the greatest faith in the 3DS's circle-pad's durability. Granted, I've *never* had a problem with any other Nintendo controller (aside from one gamecube one that lost its little nub bit at the top), but...

I'unno, I'm not sure if Smash's relatively quick, twitchy gameplay is a good fit for the circle-pad.
Kid Icarus:Uprising says hi.

I agree. I'm already afraid of breaking the circle pad just from skating around in Pokémon Y, a very leisurely game. I'll probably stick to the D-pad when playing Smash, if that's an option.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Kid Icarus:Uprising says hi.
Don't own it, but it's on my to-buy list. I assume it's similarly twitchy?

I agree. I'm already afraid of breaking the circle pad just from skating around in Pokémon Y, a very leisurely game. I'll probably stick to the D-pad when playing Smash, if that's an option.
That was the exact reason I was a bit worried. I'm assuming it's strong enough (thanks to Gamoi834's post), but it always makes me nervous.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I'm not sure if unpopular but...

Just because of smash run, this game is already doing more than what I expected and thus, I will enjoy it even if the roster is the one we have now (ok it would feel weak but smash run so I don't care).

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
-The Wii Remote by itself should have never been a control option, it sucks way too much to be a useful controller in the context of Smash. I want it taken out, "I can't afford to buy a Nunchuk / Classic Controller / Wii U Pro controller" be damned.
The Wiimote should never be by itself for any game. The damn thing only has 2 face buttons (3 if you count the awkwardly placed A button.), one trigger/bumper, and no analog stick. Compared to the Gamepad and Pro controller, It's literally LESS THAN HALF a controller. That's why games like Super Mario 3d World and DKC:TF have multiple actions assigned to one button and I've seen it being a huge complaint for many people.

Wiimotes should be sold with Nunchucks by default I say!

GraveJoker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GraveJoker
-I am slowly starting to believe this will just be Brawl 2.0
-I hate the fact that Toon Link is a thing in this game, especially if he is just a clone of the original
-I also think it is really dumb Ridley and King K Rool arent in yet. (Why is Sakurai teasing Ridley so god damn much?)
-Earthbound should only have one rep, Lucas should just get cut.
-F-Zero should get one more rep.
-Hades should get in over Palutena, Medusa, and Dark Pit.

TheSkuxxedOne

Smash Cadet
Warning Received
Melee Vets will hate this but I reckon if Mewtwo was ever in, he'll play like he did in Pokemon Origins. I made a video about it for anyone that's interested...

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Basically speculation, basically advertising, basically no bueno.
There are tons of places which are more appropriate for discussing whether Mewtwo is going to get in and what moveset he could have.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think if anyone other than Snake, Squirtle or Ivysaur are cut, it'll be Lucas.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Yeah, I know. Wiimote + Nunchuk, Classic Controller (Pro), Wii U Pro Controller, and maybe even GamePad are all good options now that every controller is wireless and GameCube controllers don't have an unfair advantage.

I just expressed that the Wiimote by itself should be taken out as a control option because it doesn't work nearly as well as the other options.
"This controller option should be taken out because I don't like it even though I can just choose to not use it myself"
I wouldn't play Smash with as much buddies if it weren't for the solo Wiimotes :v

Last edited:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
No matter how much I try, I still cannot force myself to get excited over the idea of a portable Smash. Smash is not a "game and go" type of experience and Smash 3DS is REALLY going to have to "wow" me to change my stance on this. If I'm going to be sitting at home playing online or competing in a local tournament I'd much rather do so on a big screen with an actual controller and superior graphics/sound system.

Maybe Smash 3DS still has something up its sleeve to really make it stand out from the Wii U version, but as of now I'm still unimpressed. Smash Run isn't going to cut it.

Dairz

Smash Ace
-I am slowly starting to believe this will just be Brawl 2.0
I'm not sure why people think this. The game speed is different, there's new mechanics (ledge grabbing), and significant veteran changes. (Bowser and Pit say hi)

Pucciogaeshi

Smash Rookie
I think every game is more fun than the predecessor when played casually. I'm not big on the competitive scene, I just know I had a blast with Brawl and I'm sure SSB4 is going to be even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom