• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions - share them here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I think the NFCs are great for add-on content like movesets or costumes, but I honestly don't think there will be any DLC or added on characters. They're easily the highlight of the game, and Sakurai has made it clear that both formats will have the same line-up. I just can't see there being any more playable characters added after launch.

I'm not sure where this falls as far as popularity, but it's part of a controversial subject, so...

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think the NFCs are great for add-on content like invested or costumes, but I honestly don't think there will be any DLC or added on characters. They're easily the highlight of the game, and Sakurai has made it clear that both formats will have the same line-up. I just can't see there being any more playable characters added after launch.

I'm not sure where this falls as far as popularity, but it's part of a controversial subject, so...
I should note that he probably means that the games will naturally have the same characters in the regular data as is.

DLC is stuff that is available outside of the game's natural programming. We've past the point where they need placeholders for it. Simply put, it's new data being added now. So DLC itself wouldn't take away from he said. You purchased the games and have the same rosters, after all. Anything outside of that isn't applicable. I realize that's a bit of a cheesy way to jerk around the "same rosters" statement, but he kind of has trolled us before. Likewise, why not allow DLC for both games anyway? As in the same character options.

Technically, that's an unpopular opinion, having different rosters, I guess?

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I think speculating on who will fill the Smash 4 roster and who will be cut, as well as most other speculation, is a complete waste of time. I want to be pleasantly surprised by the info revealed at E3, and making outlandish guesses about what I want that info to be is only going to disappoint me when I am inevitably proven wrong.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Nintendo has cleverly roped almost everyone into spending 100$ on Smash bros. Now they are making a "new GC controller" and having NFC figures for it. I personally don't like paying 200$ to play what is essentially one game...(of course no one is forcing me to get DLC or get both versions)

I'm surprised people actually like to pay for things in the name of DLC or add-ons when in reality in-game content should be free.
I'm pretty sure this counts as an unpopular opinion:
Evil corporations like EA and Microsoft have led us to believe that all DLC means selling the game broken up, but people should stop seeing all DLC as 'completing the game' and more like 'adding extras to the game' because that's really what most Nintendo DLC has been since they started doing it (A 60$ game with 20$ DLC pretty much means that you're playing 100% of your 60$ and then getting 130% for the extra 20$). Also, I wouldn't mind someone like Layton making the cut as DLC, I'd rather pay for a favorite character than not have them at all.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I'm pretty sure this counts as an unpopular opinion:
Evil corporations like EA and Microsoft have led us to believe that all DLC means selling the game broken up, but people should stop seeing all DLC as 'completing the game' and more like 'adding extras to the game' because that's really what most Nintendo DLC has been since they started doing it (A 60$ game with 20$ DLC pretty much means that you're playing 100% of your 60$ and then getting 130% for the extra 20$). Also, I wouldn't mind someone like Layton making the cut as DLC, I'd rather pay for a favorite character than not have them at all.
If the Wii was a capable system then Super Mario Galaxy 2 should've been DLC on Super Mario Galaxy and I would've been fine with that. New Super Luigi U is good DLC imo. If its something tiny then why not have it included in the main game? NSMB2 I feel did a good job with DLC as well. They waited to get feedback from the game and then they made DLC accordingly.

Maybe the evil corporations have made you believe that DLC is a good thing and you are getting more out of the game. To me they are basically making an 80$ game out of a 60$ game and make those who decide to be frugal feel bad about not getting their DLC. In a game like Smash bros that comes once every 6 years I can understand DLC but not immediately after release. More event matches or challenges seems to be the only thing imo that could work as paid DLC. They shouldn't add anything to the main game as to make those who opt out of the DLC feel bad about not getting it. Items, characters/colors/costumes, and new modes would be bad DLC imo. They shouldn't add DLC that alienates those who don't want to spend extra money on stuff like that.

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Let's just hope they don't use these in a Wii U Pokemon game... I can see it now. Pokemon NFC Plastic version... They would make billions.
That would most likely require them making a *real* Pokemon game for the Wii U, which I don't see happening to begin with.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
That would most likely require them making a *real* Pokemon game for the Wii U, which I don't see happening to begin with.
Because an actual Pokemon main series game for the Wii U would be the worst thing ever? Pokemon doesn't fit that format that well.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think Ike, looking the way he does, and promoting Awakening, does hurt an Awakening character's chance's unless they have something more interesting to add to the game other than promotional value and popularity (that resulted from the promotion), like Robin's magic.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
Annoyed that Ike returns as playable. Didn't Sakurai say he wanted diversity and originality to the roster?

chronomantic

Smash Ace
I'm annoyed that Chrom is expected for the same reason.
People are saying stuff like 'Chrom chances increased rather dramatically now', 'Chrom AND Anna chances increased by 3%'... their blind certainty is what annoys me a bit I mean at least acknowledge that 4 FE reps is very unlikely.

D

Deleted member

I don't know why people thought that Ike was going to get cut. I don't think that "recency" arguments could hold water against him as he is still pretty popular. I think that people should have seen him getting in the game miles away.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
I don't know why people thought that Ike was going to get cut. I don't think that "recency" arguments could hold water against him as he is still pretty popular. I think that people should have seen him getting in the game miles away.
In hindsight it's easy saying stuff like this but Roy was cut over Ike so it was pretty sound argument.

D

Deleted member

I think Roy was a low priority character because his game sucked. Ike technically didn't replace him.
Of course Ike didn't replace Roy, that was never intended, but I don't think that Roy was low priority for those reasons. I think that Sakurai wanted to get a new character from Fire Emblem and Intelligent Systems chose Ike (he was simply called "Fire Emblem character" before he was chosen). I think that Roy got cut for less of "his game sucked" and more of they wanted to get the latest star into Smash. The same can be said for the Lucario and Mewtwo scenario.

Speaking of Roy, I don't care about him at all. I still don't see the appeal of him other than his fire sword.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Relevancy is a stupid argument in the format people use it in.

Scratch that. "Muh relevancy" is stupid period.
I'm pretty sure that whenever someone prefaces anything with "Muh" they're almost half of the time being tongue-in-cheek.

Dairz

Smash Ace
Roy was probably cut because he was a clone and not very important to his series, similar to Dr. Mario and Pichu.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Roy was cut only because he was lower priority than some characters and that the last minute Sonic addition pushed him and the other Forbidden 7 out. Not much of an opinion, since he had a ton of character data. Him and Mewtwo would've easily been finished if Sonic didn't show up.(the rest save Dixie are harder to say) But this is definitely an unpopular way to look at it(truth hurts, after all).

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't really care for the Wii U compatible GameCube Controller, especially since it needs to connect to my Wii Remote. The Pro Controller and the GamePad will be fine for Smash 4.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I'm assuming the forum exploded last night with Ike's return. Let me be the next to admit how wrong I was.
Good to see him back. Though this does kick Anna's chance down a few notches... TT~TT

I'm not mad though. He's a fine character along with Lucario. The only reason Lucario has been getting hate is cuz everyone's still salty about Mewtwo. Get over it people!

Smartiicals

Smash Cadet
My own opinions :
- I only want alternate costumes if they resemble the same character (e.g Mario - Dr Mario, Luigi - Mr. L etc.)
- I'm disappointed that there will be no SSE like mode with cutscenes.
- I liked brawl as much as the other games.
- I really despise tingle.
- I think that Ganondorf has so much potential for a unique moveset.
- I don't want Goku or ANY anime characters.
- Luigi and Lucas were represented very wrong in Brawl.
- I really don't want Mii's or any customization in this game
- I won't play the 3DS version
- I think this game has potential.

Last edited:

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
- Regarding the recent leak discussion:
I really, REALLY don't want the Sal leak to be true. This hatred solely comes from the Chorus Kid prediction.
I mean.. I'm not aversed to creative ideas.. G&W, R.O.B etc.
But they represent Nintendo's history and are retro characters. (R.O.B not being an actual character, but.. old)

What the hell would Chorus Kids add? Are they supposed to represent the DS while R.O.B represents NES AND G&W the.. G&W? I think that console representation spot might already be taken by the WFT. They seem like a wasted slot. A joke addition. A slot, a more deserving (people might hate that word) character could fill waaay better. I really hope this doesn't come true.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Speaking of the Gematsu leak, I could care less about it. However, I want it to be real for one reason and for one character only: Shulk, my most wanted newcomer. If that leak is real, that means he's in. I could care less for the other 5 characters; all I want from it is just Shulk.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Speaking of the Gematsu leak, I could care less about it. However, I want it to be real for one reason and for one character only: Shulk, my most wanted newcomer. If that leak is real, that means he's in. I could care less for the other 5 characters; all I want from it is just Shulk.
I think Shulk has a lot going for him besides some dumb leak.

D

Deleted member

I think Shulk has a lot going for him besides some dumb leak.
I know that! I've mentioned in a giant post why I believe why Shulk's merits will help him get a slot on the roster. The leak is comforting to me as it could solidify to me that he's on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom