• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions - share them here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
Didn't mind Lucario when he was announced a few month ago, but now that Greninja is in, Lucario's inclusion isn't really necessary to me anymore.

IDK, do we really need 2 upright standing, wide hipped, blue, angry edgy ninja esque animals? Don't see the point of him coming back, when he could have easily got replaced like mewtwo before him.

But if Mewtwo does get in I'll shut up and be content with the whole thing lol

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I thought her whipped was replace? She was given a new Dspecial. And then her Sspecial was changed. At least that's what I remember seeing.
I can't remember if he said that the grenade is the side-b. Did he? If so, then that would be a major relief.

zachmundell

Smash Cadet
Melee was a great game but I like Brawl way better.
We don't need another blue-haired sword-wielding Fire Emblem rep.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Greninja is the only "meh" character reveal to me thus far. Really didn't have a clue who he was, and overall, I think it was an odd choice, as he hasn't really had a chance to become "that badass bipedal" yet (which is clearly supposed to be his role in the 6th Gen games), as X & Y have hardly been out. Mewtwo and Lucario had a chance to become recognisable for their Smash debuts, and I feel that Greninja didn't have that same build up, he just sort of came out of nowhere.

He does look fun to play as (probably won't main him or anything but he looks very fun), I just think that PERSONALLY, it was a disappointing newcomer reveal for the Direct, and in general, I haven't seen as much fangasming over him as the other newcomers.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
Greninja is the only "meh" character reveal to me thus far. Really didn't have a clue who he was, and overall, I think it was an odd choice, as he hasn't really had a chance to become "that badass bipedal" yet (which is clearly supposed to be his role in the 6th Gen games), as X & Y have hardly been out. Mewtwo and Lucario had a chance to become recognisable for their Smash debuts, and I feel that Greninja didn't have that same build up, he just sort of came out of nowhere.

He does look fun to play as (probably won't main him or anything but he looks very fun), I just think that PERSONALLY, it was a disappointing newcomer reveal for the Direct, and in general, I haven't seen as much fangasming over him as the other newcomers.
Mewtwo did not become recognizable because of Smash. He was already iconic. Lucario was... I'd say more well known than Geninja but Smash helped him a lot. Lucario had the advantage of being one of the first Pokemon revealed for it's generation and had months worth of attention. Geninja didn't get revealed for a long time until close to his game's release.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Mewtwo did not become recognizable because of Smash. He was already iconic. Lucario was... I'd say more well known than Geninja but Smash helped him a lot. Lucario had the advantage of being one of the first Pokemon revealed for it's generation and had months worth of attention. Geninja didn't get revealed for a long time until close to his game's release.
That's exactly what I mean. There was no build up. Sakurai likely chose him based on moveset potential alone, and figured people would like him anyway because he was a ninja based character. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I feel that he would have been better left as a secret, unlockable character.

It's not his inclusion that bothers me, it's just his reveal being in the big Smash Direct was really underwhelming. I was at least hoping for someone that is known to be hyped up and requested for this game, like Palutena or Mewtwo, for instance.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Lucario also had his own movie. There are a lot more popular pokemon from the current generation that could have been used, but can't complain too much - Greninja does look pretty awesome :)

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
I have a big soft spot for ninja characters so I really like Greninja despite not playing Pokemon since Platinum.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Looking back on it, the Direct wasn't as great as I initially thought, at least from my perspective. While the gameplay info was amazing, I'm not exactly a fan of something that, within forty minutes, either confirms or implies that half of the characters that I want in the game, returning or veteran, aren't going to be in it, leaving me with a grand total of one character to look forward to.

As far as veterans go, my favourites to play as throughout the franchise have been Kirby, Luigi, Mewtwo, and Snake. I never really cared about tier lists; I just found Mewtwo enjoyable to play as, which is why I was disappointed when he was cut from Brawl. Kirby and Luigi were already confirmed, so nothing to worry about there. However, with Greninja and Charizard announced as playable, that brings us to four Pokemon characters. Assuming Jigglypuff is a guarantee since she's been in three games already, and Squirtle and Ivysaur are cut (another negative in that Direct - I had been expecting and hoping for no cuts from Brawl, since the characters (aside from Toon Link) were mostly unique, or at least unique enough compared to the Melee clones), that brings us to five Pokemon characters, and it doesn't seem likely that we'll get a sixth unless Mario gets another newcomer. It could still happen, but it just doesn't seem likely.

For Snake, Sheik's random grenade move (do grenades even exist in the Legend of Zelda setting?) doesn't bode well, and neither does the fact that they're running out of time. It seems like they're revealing third parties entirely through Directs and events like E3, and if they're going to reveal all of the third party characters before the 3DS version is released, they've got E3 and one other Nintendo Direct at most. I know people are going to question why I want Snake back, or say "he doesn't fit" - I've been through all of that before. However, Metal Gear has made huge contributions to the gaming industry, it's Konami's most popular franchise, and Snake's appearance in Brawl was both entertaining and an opportunity for many fans (myself included) to learn about a franchise that we may not have paid much attention to otherwise.

As for newcomers, my four most wanted were Little Mac, Ridley, Saki from Sin & Punishment, and King K. Rool. Little Mac being confirmed was great, and I hoped it was a sign of things to come; a sign that maybe, SSB would focus on more than just franchises that are popular in Japan. At the very least, I was hoping that we'd get a second Metroid character out of it, but that was shot down with extreme prejudice. (No, I don't consider Zero Suit Samus a second character - she may have a different moveset, but she's still the same person as Samus) Admittedly, this could just be Sakurai trolling Metroid fans (he already did that in that very Nintendo Direct, and he's going ridiculously out of his way to avoid showing Ridley or mentioning his name, even though he's been extremely open with every single other stage hazard), but it doesn't seem like it.

Honestly, this whole nonsense with Ridley would be like if the Legend of Zelda series was only represented by Link and Young Link. Even if Young Link's moves are different, he's still Link, and while Ganon and Zelda would appear in Smash Bros., it would only be as trophies, bosses, or other NPCs, because the development team felt that there wasn't enough to work with as far as a move set goes. Even though this would continue throughout three straight games, the Smash Bros. development team would just assume that fans of the series would be fine with that and grateful for it, in spite of evidence to the contrary.

As for Saki, seeing him as an assist trophy was bad enough - I figured that, since Sin & Punishment had gotten a Wii sequel, it was popular enough to get at least one character in the game. Seeing the series represented by a generic Smash Bros. logo was even worse, since it meant that (in all likelihood) there's no chance of another Sin & Punishment character being playable.

Now all I have to look forward to in regards to Smash Bros. is King K. Rool. The appearance of the Kremlings helped, but given how this has been going, it seems more likely that Dixie Kong will be the third DK character, and K. Rool will be relegated to a trophy, assist trophy, or stage hazard.

Sorry about the rant; it's just that when half of my most wanted characters appear to no longer be options after less than an hour, it rubs me the wrong way.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

First off, I am disappointed that the 3DS version is coming before the Wii U version. It's a smart move, but I rather be vice versa.

Second, I could care less for Ridley. Seeing him get disconfirmed made me worry for his supporters, but his speculation has waned my want for him so much that I lost interest in the character.

Third, I prefer solo Charizard and I like that the Pokemon Trainer got cut. I feel sympathetic towards the PT mains, Ivysaur fans and Squirtle fans, but I felt like Charizard going solo would be a better move due to its massive popularity. I'm also OK if PT, Ivysaur, and Squirtle were cut if it means to free development time and resources to add more characters and content, something that Red probably took up a lot.

Finally... Greninja...
As I've mentioned before this Direct, I didn't hype myself for it. I know that if I did, I might come out walking away disappointed. I predicted 8 possible newcomer reveals; I only cared for one of them and I hoped that he would get confirmed since I didn't think he would anyway (Shulk).
I kept my expectations low before the Direct. I expected the worst, but hoped for the best.
Greninja wasn't a character that I had in mind. Regardless, I do like its inclusion (though, his neutral special looks like another Shadow Ball-like move, ugh...). Its moveset is fun enough and I personally like Greninja; I used one in X and it didn't disappoint me. With this being said, I don't think that it deserved to be in Smash; don't you think that it's a bit too early to add it? I'm satisfied because of the moveset and because I like the Pokemon, but I think that other characters should have been confirmed first or something.
I bet that Greninja would have been a bit more predictable had X and Y been released in early 2013 or even in 2012.
I think that Greninja is a testament to not be overhyped or have high expectations. I believe my low amounts of hype and low expectations made me appreciate Greninja more as well...

Last edited by a moderator:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
- Ridley isn't deconfirmed.
  • However those suggesting that Ridley pulls a Toon Link with Alfonzo for Pyrosphere are the exact same people who gave us Toad supporters **** for thinking the same thing about Peach's B move. Hypocrisy at it's finest, Smashboards.

- Greninja's inclusion even if it means the exclusion of Mewtwo is fine with me.
  • Brawl + Mewtwo would of been boring. As a Pokemon fan I don't want the same old monsters each time.

- Sheik isn't important enough to the Zelda series to really deserve a safe slot. Essentially the Jigglypuff of the Zelda series.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Interesting opinion. Elaborate on this, please.
If it's allowed, sure;

Jigglypuff
Jigglypuff is considered by the vast majority a relatively unimportant Pokemon within the context of her series.

In terms of the actual games, Jigglypuff's only been important in the spinoff Pokemon Conquest, in which she's a secondary character's main Pokemon. She has never received as an event Pokemon and it's fair to say the following are overall more important than her(including the current Smashers for this one to compare their resumes):
  • Pikachu: Series mascot. Obvious.
  • Charizard: Most popular Pokemon on the planet. Has two versions named after him. The most famous fire type. The most iconic starter. Received TWO Mega forms in X and Y to mirror his popularity. Red's starter in Pokemon Origin. Huge character in the anime(possibly the most popular Pokemon within it even)
  • Lucario: When Lucario was first added, it only had a movie going for it. But now it has in game lore; It was the first Mega ever according to the X and Y games.
  • Mewtwo: Second most popular Pokemon on the planet. Most popular legendary overall. Has two movies dedicated to him, and a third starring Mewtwo Y. Final boss in Pokemon Origins. Like Charizard received two new mega forms due to popularity.
  • Any of the starters, who are the most iconic of their region. Special shoutouts to the other two Kanto Pokemon(and seemingly cut veterans) whose versions are also named after them. Blaziken also qualifies due to his Mega form, first event Pokemon status and popularity in the anime.
  • Eevee: Jigglypuff had a major role in Pokemon Conquest, but this was the ACTUAL main character's Pokemon. Eevee and it's evolutions had large roles within the Gamecube Pokemon 3D games as the starters for both Wes and Michael. Was also the only old Pokemon to receive a new (non mega) evolution in Gen 6.
  • Meowth: Jigglypuff's popularity came from the anime. She left that anime many years ago. Meanwhile Meowth is still a major character, has been an event Pokemon, and is one of the most well known Pokemon just by his regular appearances within the anime.
  • Gardevoir, a rival fairy type, has an important battle role within X/Y a split evolution AND a mega form.
The above are just a few Pokemon that have better merits than Puff for being added, however due to Puff's veteran status there's obviously no way she'd be cut.

Sheik:
Originally added as an interesting gimmick for Zelda within Smash, Sheik's importance to the Zelda series consisted of teaching Link songs in a single game. That's it. Whilst Zelda is important to her series(obviously; she's the damn namesake), Sheik is less important to her series than quite a few characters s/he's gotten in over:
  • Tingle: So popular in Japan he got his own set of games. Well known. Reoccurring. Hate base in the west(mostly America) is the only real reason he's unlikely.
  • Vaati: Reoccurring villain. Quite popular, best villain option for Toon Zelda series(Toon Ganondorf is up for debate).
  • Medli and Makar: Okay, hear me out on this one because I imagine many of you are going "abuh?" at this one. Sheik's job within OoT was to turn up with her harp and teach you some songs. Medli and Makar meanwhile have a much more hands on role within their games; you can actually control them and play as them for brief parts of the game. They are also vital to the completion of Wind Waker.
  • Impa: Reoccurring character(albeit seems different each time), actually a Sheikah, has an important role within Skyward Sword, etc.
  • Tetra: Basically Sheik, but has a larger role within her game.
Now, I know that Sheik was in as part of a gimmick to make Zelda more interesting, but now that gimmick has been removed I have to wonder if Sheik(like Puff) stands up on her/his(?) own merits.

Neither character will go anywhere ever due to their veteran status, but their overall importance to their series is minimal at best.

Tl;dr: My unpopular opinion in a nutshell is there are more deserving individuals from both series that would like a slot but won't be able to due to 'overrepresentation' whilst these two are around.

Last edited:

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Greninja is an ugly disappointment.
Ridley still hasn't been properly deconfirmed.
The Wii U version is going to suffer due to 3DS limitations regarding the roster size.

The for glory mode is going to make a lot of competitive players think they are a lot more entitled in the eyes of Sakurai than they really are.

YT123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Olaf551
3DS FC
5069-4175-0996
They shouldn't have made a 3DS version:
* Without it, the Wii U version would probably have been finished earlier (and the Wii U really needs some new games).
* I feel like the 3DS version is holding the Wii U back a lot in terms of roster size, items, etc.
* Because the 3DS version comes out earlier, a lot of people will buy that version first and won't bother to buy the Wii U version because they don't want to unlock all the characters again (and do classic mode with all of them). All of this probably means that the Wii U version won't be such a system seller as everyone thought it would be...

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
SSB4 will be better than Melee.

I Like Greninja. He's relevant.

Ridley can suck a lemon.

IM outta here..gif

EDIT: Please don't take that last one seriously.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

- Greninja's inclusion even if it means the exclusion of Mewtwo is fine with me.
  • Brawl + Mewtwo would of been boring. As a Pokemon fan I don't want the same old monsters each time.

- Sheik isn't important enough to the Zelda series to really deserve a safe slot.
I agree with these two.

I want Mewtwo to return, but the concept of having all of the Brawl Pokemon back plus Mewtwo is uninteresting to me. Greninja added a little spice for me on the roster by being a Pokemon from a newer generation.

I also agree that Sheik is unimportant. I rather have that slot go to another Zelda character... preferably not Toon Zelda. If Sheik got cut, I wouldn't be opposed, but I would feel sympathetic to those who mained her since Melee.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I think Sonic and Megaman should remain series veterans.
Pac-Man deserves to be in the game.
Brawl is better than Melee.
Snake was not a good 3rd party choice.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
The 3DS version is only holding SSB4 back in complexities--six pikmin, Gordos rather than Waddle Dees, and maybe number of Pokemon on the screen at once. You are seriously deluded if you think it's holding back the total roster size or number of items. Have you NOT SEEN the huge item extravaganza that showed up? If anything, blame the 3DS for stealing Wii U's summer audience.

D

Deleted member

The 3DS version is only holding SSB4 back in complexities--six pikmin, Gordos rather than Waddle Dees, and maybe number of Pokemon on the screen at once. You are seriously deluded if you think it's holding back the total roster size or number of items. Have you NOT SEEN the huge item extravaganza that showed up? If anything, blame the 3DS for stealing Wii U's summer audience.
To be fair that might have also been for balance reasons. Olimar is one of the strongest characters in Brawl so it only makes sense he would get a couple of nerfs.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
I'm expecting the same thing about the Waddle Dees being removed from Dedede's throw. That and removing random elements that exist for seemingly no real reason.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Smash 4 is probably going to get an unnecessary Pokemon and it will be as boring to play and have as little personality as Lucario.
w0w idiot u were WRONG greninja is a great addition 2 the cast u dont know anyting and i bet u play like u r wearing boxing gloves LOL u should srsly just self-destruct nerd "I like 2 write fanfics about Master Hand giving me prostate exams after eating a whole pan of hot pocket casserole" - u. srsly tho did u weave that ******** hairdo from all the pubes u cough up? we all kno where the gel came from anyway gg no res

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
If it's allowed, sure.
Discussing opinions is just fine as long as there is no criticism involved.

w0w idiot u were WRONG greninja is a great addition 2 the cast u dont know anyting and i bet u play like u r wearing boxing gloves LOL u should srsly just self-destruct nerd "I like 2 write fanfics about Master Hand giving me prostate exams after eating a whole pan of hot pocket casserole" - u. srsly tho did u weave that ******** hairdo from all the pubes u cough up? we all kno where the gel came from anyway gg no res
Oh god this just made my day. xD Nice prediction (though I do think Greninja was a good choice).

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Liked.

10 likes.

That made me laugh harder then it should have. xD

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
--All of the information in the Direct intrigues me, but...I still don't care about almost any of it, unless it directly relates to the characters I still want in the game, whose inclusion or exclusion will determine whether I buy a Wii U and this game. I'm happy about it for the people definitely buying, though.

--If anyone isn't sure whether Sakurai is showing favoritism to Kid Icarus, look at how many new items the series is receiving. That's ridiculous, and don't tell me that they're being added because they're unique; any series can receive unique new items with enough creativity.

--If you are wallowing around in the broken dreams of Ridley fans right now, I think you are behaving like absolute scum. I hope that, some day, you reap what you have sown.

--If you think for even a second that Ridley fans are "equally bad" as Ridley detractors for defending themselves from them, you are as blind as a blindfolded bat. You probably also think that the Native Americans were "equally bad" as the European settlers for defending their land, to use a historical comparison.

Last edited:

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
I'm indifferent on Ridley. I don't like him but I don't hate him either.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
--If you are wallowing around in the broken dreams of Ridley fans right now, I think you are behaving like absolute scum.

--If you think for even a second that Ridley fans are "equally bad" as Ridley detractors for defending themselves from them, you are as blind as a blindfolded bat.
I'm not even sure why these needs to be unpopular opinions. These things aren't something anyone needs to be told in order for it to be obvious.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm not even sure why these needs to be unpopular opinions. These things aren't something anyone needs to be told in order for it to be obvious.
You'd never be able to tell, looking around other Smash communities online, or even in some pockets of this forum.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I still think Lucario should have been axed for Mewtwo, especially now that we have Greninja.

Pikachu, Jiggs, Zard, Mewtwo, Greninja would have been a solid 5.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
-I think Mewtwo's chance of being in the game have actually raised.
-I find Chrom to be a horribly boring choice even though I loved FE:Awakening.
-I am okay with Sakurai showing favoritism towards series that I care about such as Zelda and Kid Icarus.
-I prefer Greninja over every other option for a new generation pokemon.
-I would not be sad if they cut Jigglypuff. She was only hype because of Melee rest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom