• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions - share them here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

-Animal Crossing shouldn't get another rep. I don't think that the series should get another one when a newcomer just got introduced.

-Pikmin shouldn't get a second rep before Metroid (minus ZSS), Kid Icarus, Wario, Yoshi, and F-Zero do.

-I like the Wii U Pro Controller and that will be my preferred controller for this game.

My next unpopular opinion - This thread should be stickied.
I agree with this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Snake is beast, and should definitely return, sporting that sexy, disjointed uptilt. Anyone who disagrees obviously wants to see the world burn.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Snake is beast, and should definitely return, sporting that sexy, disjointed uptilt. Anyone who disagrees obviously wants to see the world burn.
Kinda agree there. Characters' best moves shouldn't be nerfed horribly because it makes them less unique.

But, uh, Snake needs a nerf.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Kinda agree there. Characters' best moves shouldn't be nerfed horribly because it makes them less unique.

But, uh, Snake needs a nerf.
I feel like the game being sped up already acts as a nerf to Snake. Surely he won't live as long now, and others will have a better time going around 'nades and stuff. But the game ain't even out yet, so no point arguing about this here.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
- I actually like the useless Rosalina Miiverse pics. Totally not a waste of a Pic of the Day. :p
- Snake's Side B on Project M with the stupid pistol is just lame. The rocket launcher was just fine. And his taunt of smoking the cigarette to make him edgier is just trying too hard... (Retracted)
- Not too fond of Melee Fox's design. Stop trying to bring it back people.
- People saying that characters like Wii Fit Trainer, Toon Link, Rosalina, and especially Lucario have ruined the roster are just being childish. Sure I've expressed my dislike for some requested characters, and I'll still rage and complain till the cows come home when Miis are inevitably announced, but them being include surely won't ruin the game for me.
- Sakurai technically didn't create Bandanna Dee since he debuted in Returns to Dreamland and Sakurai stopped working on Kirby games after Air Ride. So Sakurai's modesty argument kinda doesn't work there. Same for Prince Fluff I suppose.
- I'd love to see the Super Bell from Mario 3D World as a transformation item. That'd be awesome to have every character in a cat suit for a limited time.

On that note, is there an Items discussion that someone can link me to? I can't seem to find it.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
- Snake's Side B on Project M with the stupid pistol is just lame. The rocket launcher was just fine. And his taunt of smoking the cigarette to make him edgier is just trying too hard...
Dude, have you not seen what top Snake players can do with the tranquilizer? Whether you hate it or not, that stuff is beyond cool.

As for the taunts, Brawl having the same one for all three is just not trying at all. Should change that for Smash 4.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Dude, have you not seen what top Snake players can do with the tranquilizer? Whether you hate it or not, that stuff is beyond cool.

As for the taunts, Brawl having the same one for all three is just not trying at all. Should change that for Smash 4.
Actually no I haven'ts really seen anything with Snake. I'll have a look.

*looks up video*

Alright I've looked up a few matches and I can see where it can be useful. This is an opinions board but I'll retract my statement on that one.
The taunt though, yeah I guess adding different taunts is fine but obligatory smoking to make him look cooler and edgier is still trying too hard.

And another thing, what the hell is with the random Castlevania stage that's just there for no reason?

D

Deleted member

This is more of a general thing, and I'm not really even sure if it's unpopular, but it seems like the best place to say it.

I'm sick of people complaining about how bad the PotD is, or how it was a bad week. Yes, you're completely allowed to dislike the stuff we might get, but it gets on my (and possibly many others) nerves when you decide to air your complaints for everyone to see. I'm not trying to say every PotD is good per se, in fact far from it. I'm just trying to say that complaining about the PotD, and then in some cases, shooting down people that actually like it, can get really tiring and really annoying, especially because it's not anything coherent or constructive, it's just hate for filler and throwaway pics (which we should come to expect by now) and senseless ******** and moaning.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I couldn't care less about the daily pics. I just want more footage.
And another thing, what the hell is with the random Castlevania stage that's just there for no reason?
Not really sure why they put it there, but it replaces Luigi's Mansion.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Not really sure why they put it there, but it replaces Luigi's Mansion.
I actually liked Luigi's Mansion. Not that it matters, I replaced it with a World That Never Was stage hack I found at the Brawl Vault. Which pretty much contradicts my previous statements but I did it with my own hand! And several Kingdom Hearts character hacks to match.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
-That the 3DS Version have the same amount of character like the Wii U, Most of the character are making a harsh return on the 3DS version. Is will not be in the 3DS Version this game could be the best smash bros and the one with most character, include of more than 45 Character.
-There alredy 5 official mario characters instead of using forgotten characters, old or even new character so people can recognize more Nintendo franchise than just mario and zelda himself.
-Need more genderless character in Smash, there not that many.
-Need more Character that use claw has a weapon, smash is lacking a little about that.
-Need character that can use Lance like Chrom and Bandana Waddle Dee.
-Nintedo Land recognize that each attraction is made up for Nintendo Biggest Franchise all of the has appear in Smash as playable except of Takamaru and Ballon fight.
-The Puzzle Swap have variety stuff that had been confirmed in smash alredy like Skyward sword and Pilotwings but there othes like xenoblade and Dillon rolling western.
-Metroid stage has been confirmed for months and Ridley has not yet appear as Stage Hazard, Boss or even playable.
-Most of the stage hazard has been confirmed (including megaman exclusive) but the metroid stage still missed.

That all I can say. I think I got more...

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I think the 3DS version will have better stages.

I find the Wii Fit Trainer is the funniest character, and there's nothing people can say or do to remove her/him.

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
  1. Dr. Mario is a perfect alternate costume for Mario. They're the same person!
  2. I want Jigglypuff back. Not because of the "original 12" argument, but because its a fun character to play.
  3. I want Mii to be in with a moveset from games like NintendoLand, the WiiSports games, etc.
  4. Mewtwo is the only character cut from Melee that deserves to be in, but Lucario's inclusion makes it incredibly unlikely.
  5. People who say that they wouldn't play the new game if a certain character is/isn't in the game are either lying or are not dedicated enough to the series to deserve to dictate what characters should be in.
  6. DLC is a good idea if: 1)It only adds new stages or items; 2)It does not alter or add new characters or mechanics; 3)It is not used because they did not have time to finish the game; and 4)It is free.
  7. If the campaign to get Reggie in the game is still going on, it should stop: especially considering is an executive of Nintendo of America. I feel he is not well known enough internationally to get in.
  8. Mount Battle would be the coolest inclusion for the Pokemon Wii U stage I can think of.
  9. Sheik is awesome, but they should have kept Zelda's Ocarina artwork if they were going to keep Sheik. Why would you have a character from OoT be a transformation of a character from Twilight Princess? Sheik just doesn't fit in with it.
  10. If Twilight Zelda was not playable, Toon Zelda with alternate Tetra or Ocarina Zelda with alternate Sheik would be perfect. Twilight Zelda shouldn't have a transformation.
  11. More third party characters take away from the game's focus on Nintendo characters.
  12. For people who think Sakurai is ignoring us: Nintendo is a Japanese company. While he should pay attention to international audiences, Sakurai's inclusion of Marth and Roy in Melee and Lucas in Brawl shows that he obviously cares slightly more for his Japanese audience. Maybe Japanese Smash fans wanted WFT and Villager but not Ridley and King K. Rool, so Sakurai is listening to them.
I'm sure I'll have more later, but I can't think of any more now.

D

Deleted member

These might not be so unpopular, but eh...

-I was disappointed when little to no songs from Smash 64 made it into Brawl. We got the Credits theme... OK... that's good. But there were some solid songs from that game. I was especially disappointed when Smash 64's Final Destination theme didn't make a comeback.

-Smash 64 stages need to make a comeback. If they can't bring back stages that they already brought back in Melee (Dream Land, Congo Jungle, Yoshi's Island), they could at least bring back Hyrule Castle; I was disappointed when it didn't return. Speaking of returning stages, I want Fountain of Dreams from Melee to return; that stage could benefit from the Wii U's HD graphics. Also, I want Halberd from Brawl to return.

-One of the worst aspects of Brawl is the freaking AI. I find it to be unenjoyable at times even on Level 9. It's by far at its worst in free-for-alls; who was the genius who thought that having the CPUs targeting the players specifically and prioritize on them was a good idea? Free-for-alls feel like 1 vs. 3s because of this; I was in a free-for-all with 3 level 9 Luigis and I struggled because of how the AI was set up. In fact, when I was in the air, the CPUs would walk back and forth until I got on the ground and they disregarded each other. How is this fair? Speaking of AI, it's stupid how they sometimes are used for filler for opponents over Wi-Fi when I just want to fight the human players.

-GameCube controllers should return. I am not against the Wii U Pro Controller at all and it is the one that I will be using, but the GameCube controllers are absolutely perfect for Smash. I want something official by Nintendo instead of having to use some USB thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
These might not be so unpopular, but eh...

-I was disappointed when little to no songs from Smash 64 made it into Brawl. We got the Credit theme... OK... that's good. But there were some solid songs from that game. I was especially disappointed when Smash 64's Final Destination theme didn't make a comeback.

-Smash 64 stages need to make a comeback. If they can't bring back stages that they already brought back in Melee (Dream Land, Congo Jungle, Yoshi's Island), they could at least bring back Hyrule Castle; I was disappointed when it didn't return. Speaking of returning stages, I want Fountain of Dreams from Melee to return; that stage could benefit from the Wii U's HD graphics. Also, I want Halberd from Brawl to return.

-One of the worst aspects of Brawl is the freaking AI. I find it to be unenjoyable at times even on Level 9. It's by far at its worst in free-for-alls; who was the genius who thought that having the CPUs targeting the players specifically was a good idea? Free-for-alls feel like 1 vs. 3s because of this; I was in a free-for-all with 3 level 9 Luigis and I struggled because of how the AI was set up. In fact, when I was in the air, the CPUs would walk back and forth until I got on the ground and disregarded each other. How is this fair? Speaking of AI, it's stupid how they sometimes are used for filler for opponents over Wi-Fi when I just want to fight the human players.

-GameCube controllers should return. I am not against the Wii U Pro Controller at all and it is the one that I will be using, but the GameCube controllers are absolutely perfect for Smash. I want something official by Nintendo instead of having to use some USB thing.
Ahh amen on the AI. I hated facing 3 level 9's in a free-for-all and just having them jump around trying to get me while not even hitting each other.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Last Wednesday's Pic of the Day was actually really entertaining for a lot of reasons. Yeah, there wasn't any news, but not every pic has to be news. I like fun ones...and sexy ones! :p

mimgrim

Smash Hero
The taunt though, yeah I guess adding different taunts is fine but obligatory smoking to make him look cooler and edgier is still trying too hard.
Pretty sure the cigar taunt is suppose to be somewhat iconic. As Snake is quite known to enjoy a good cigar in the MGS games. Heck in the MGS game on the 3DS you can have him smoking a cigar through the whole game. Don't think it was suppose to make him look edgier or cooler or both, just a throw back to his games, like the cardboard box is.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Pretty sure the cigar taunt is suppose to be somewhat iconic. As Snake is quite known to enjoy a good cigar in the MGS games. Heck in the MGS game on the 3DS you can have him smoking a cigar through the whole game. Don't think it was suppose to make him look edgier or cooler or both, just a throw back to his games, like the cardboard box is.
To expand on this, believe it or not, cigarettes were actually useful tools in the MGS games. Snake uses their smoke to reveal infrared sensors that would otherwise blow up bombs or set off alarms.
It's still an iconic aspect of his character though, and he clearly has a smoker's voice. I know Nintendo would never let him smoke in Smash, though.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Ahh amen on the AI. I hated facing 3 level 9's in a free-for-all and just having them jump around trying to get me while not even hitting each other.
Beats Melee's absolutely horrible AI. Lvl 9 Bowsers never shield projectiles. Even cruel Wireframes would stand perfectly still if you stood in the right spots.
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Artificial_intelligence

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeah, the only remotely challenging level 9 CPUs in Melee's VS mode are Fox, Falco, and Captain Falcon, IMO.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
- If I could have any dream characters (And I'm a realist when it comes to characters) I'd have Banjo-Kazooie and Paper Mario.
- In retrospect, Sonics inclusion was amazing but when I played as him he felt lackluster
- Mac will be high tier for sure. Everyone in smash has air game, and in competitive play, short hop aerials are the way to go.
- I want a Ganondorf redeign
- Project M is good enough to hold us over, but I can't wait to be a part of how Smash 4 grows.
- I love the Sonic franchise, but I really do not want any characters other than him in smash

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
- Kinda hoping Mewtwo is left out of the game in favour of Mew. Much prefer her as a Pokemon, and could make for a more interesting, playful moveset.

- May gag if Bowser Jr is included. In my opinion, an awful, derivative waste of animation.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Wow... Honestly didn't think about it that way. I guess it does work to make his taunts more iconic. I retract my statement on that one.

Another random opinion:
- I get the feeling if Ridley does get in, we'll be getting Other M Ridley who doesn't look as good as previous Ridleys...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Another random opinion:
- I get the feeling if Ridley does get in, we'll be getting Other M Ridley who doesn't look as good as previous Ridleys...
That's what we all fear. We're hoping Sakuria sticks to his own Ridley Design albeit updated.

Another unpopular opinion: Midna would be a better character than Graham or whatever the hell his name was from Skyward Sword.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
-Tingle deserves to be playable more than Midna or Girahim.

-Donkey Kong looks horrible in this game.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
- I don't think there should be three Star Fox characters. And I like the series, too.
- Pokemon does not have enough reps.
- Snake shouldn't be in SSB4 and his very enjoyable moveset should move to a Nintendo newcomer.
- ^ Related; I don't think Sami will make it so I have no idea who could possibly fit Snake's moveset.
- The POTDs are fine. People need to stop complaining every. single. day. It is infinitely annoying.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
Some more of my unpopular opinions you guys absolutely LOVE:

-Toon Zelda/Tetra makes sense because she represents the growing Toon style of "Young Link" Zelda games. And I can't think of a moveset for Tingle that makes any sense whatsoever.
- Team Chaotix would be an AWESOME assist trophy.
- Cucoo are probably an item, not an assist.
- The whole roster won't be revealed by the time of release.

Gune

Smash Lord
-Brawl was the best smash thus far for me.

- I think people over exaggerate when they talk about Mewtwo not his chances in smash but in general like he's a almighty being that can't be touched.

- Little mac is going to be the new ike in online matches.

-Lucario has personality and a good comeback mechanic.

Crimefridge

Smash Rookie
-Sheik and Zelda should be separated for balance purposes, either by introducing Impa and allowing a Sheik skin, or just outright separating them.

-There are not enough female representatives in Smash, so I want stuff like Roll from Megaman, Lyn from Fire Emblem, Paula/Kumatora from Earthbound, Midna from Twilight Princess, and if they were to bring in stuff like Chrono Trigger/Final Fantasy, Terra from FF6 and Lucca from CT. Also, since they could bring in Castlevania, there's the spellcaster chick and the other weapon chick, I don't remember their names.

Rydia would be an awesome smasher though. A summoner as a smasher? Wouldn't have to be like Pokemon Trainer, could be much cooler than that! DSmash, Titan. Up B, Mist Dragon. Forward B/Dash Attack, Chocobo. Final Smash, Bahamut. It writes itself!

Oh, god forbid we consider the characters from FFTactics or FFXII! The dragon girl from FFTactics? The equipment breaker chick? Also, Argias, and the Princess. Then there's Ashe, or Fran. Those have already been assimilated in the nintendo universe, so I don't see an issue for the FFXII standpoint.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
-Sheik and Zelda should be separated for balance purposes, either by introducing Impa and allowing a Sheik skin, or just outright separating them.

-There are not enough female representatives in Smash, so I want stuff like Roll from Megaman, Lyn from Fire Emblem, Paula/Kumatora from Earthbound, Midna from Twilight Princess, and if they were to bring in stuff like Chrono Trigger/Final Fantasy, Terra from FF6 and Lucca from CT. Also, since they could bring in Castlevania, there's the spellcaster chick and the other weapon chick, I don't remember their names.

Rydia would be an awesome smasher though. A summoner as a smasher? Wouldn't have to be like Pokemon Trainer, could be much cooler than that! DSmash, Titan. Up B, Mist Dragon. Forward B/Dash Attack, Chocobo. Final Smash, Bahamut. It writes itself!

Oh, god forbid we consider the characters from FFTactics or FFXII! The dragon girl from FFTactics? The equipment breaker chick? Also, Argias, and the Princess. Then there's Ashe, or Fran. Those have already been assimilated in the nintendo universe, so I don't see an issue for the FFXII standpoint.
I think you're in the wrong thread for the most part of this post. For the record, I don't think a FF rep will ever be in a Smash game.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The Subspace Emissary was actually really awesome both game mechanics wise and level design wise, and it had an interesting story with amazing presentation and dealt with some interesting themes despite lacking dialogue. Although others may say it was a waste of Brawl's dev time and budget, I thought it was well worth it, and I have poured at least 100 hours into it alone. It's especially fun in co-op, though I will admit, the easier difficulties are boring, which is probably why many people find the mode boring, as many people seem to play it on no higher than Hard Mode.

I also never understood why everyone had difficulty with the Great Maze, it wasn't that bad. If you play "Metroidvania" games, you really shouldn't have any difficulty with the Great Maze as it's very generous in terms of telling you where to go. I also really liked the open ended feeling of the Great Maze.

The fact the Great Maze reminded me of the Great Cave Offensive from Kirby Super Star also makes me think that a Smash Bros single-player game comprised of different, shorter games based on the Subspace Emissary's game mechanics, like Kirby Super Star, would be a wonderful idea for Smash 4, and would make up for the lack of story and would add a great deal of fun to the game, ESPECIALLY if it supported both local and online co-op.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
-Animal Crossing shouldn't get another rep. I don't think that the series should get another one when a newcomer just got introduced.

-Pikmin shouldn't get a second rep before Metroid (minus ZSS), Kid Icarus, Wario, Yoshi, and F-Zero do.
I have a hard time believing either of these are unpopular opinions, even though I've been out of touch in regards to the latest wave of character support trends. Are all of you guys losing your minds out here or what?

D

Deleted member

I have a hard time believing either of these are unpopular opinions, even though I've been out of touch in regards to the latest wave of character support trends. Are all of you guys losing your minds out here or what?
Admittedly, I said those posts as filler...

Alright... I have two unpopular opinions...

-I don't see what the big deal is with Palutena. Can she get added in Smash? Yes. However, her uniqueness doesn't appeal to me... at all.
Her possible play style is just absolutely bland to me and terribly uninteresting. Her boss fight in KI:U didn't scream to me in wavelengths that she should be playable. When I played Punch Out!! for the Wii and Xenoblade Chronicles, it made me really want Little Mac and Shulk respectively. Palutena... not so much... and KI:U is my favorite 3DS game.
Honestly, I have never felt so indifferent on a character in my life. Even with this impressive leak, I was surprised to find out that I was terribly indifferent. I could care less if she was added or not. Heck, when I played Uprising I didn't care for her. I liked Pit, Hades, and Viridi more than Palutena. Hell, I rather have Hades in Smash than Palutena.
If that doesn't tell you how much I don't care about Palutena, then I don't know what will.

-I don't like to "Aboard the Hype Train." I am expecting a newcomer and veterans in this Direct, but the outcomes of a newcomer reveal will either be incredible disappointment or complete indifference; Shulk getting confirmed will make me happy the most, but I doubt he will.
I am just going to keep my expectations low and hope for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom