• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions - share them here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I guess I'll go ahead and spill my mind

-I couldn't care less if the Ice Climbers make it back. They really shouldn't have been anything more than a one shot gimmick. It's not that I have anything against them or their fans its just that they are boring characters derived from an aged forgetful game.

-Bandana Dee hasn't got the slightest shot. I'm not surprised he has support but the amount of support and expectation is mind-blowing. I understand this game warrants more obscure representation but representation for the sake of representation is wasteful.

-That Alphonzo meme was never funny. I'll admit some people have done some creative things with it but that's the most I can say about that.

-The SSB4 boards are way over moderated. It's not that there are too many moderators or that the moderators themselves are bad people, just that the rules for the boards are way overkill and have sapped a lot of life from the whole community aspect of these forums. And yes I consider this a smash 4 opinion considering this is the first place we all go to gather and share smash news.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I guess I'll go ahead and spill my mind

-I couldn't care less if the Ice Climbers make it back. They really shouldn't have been anything more than a one shot gimmick. It's not that I have anything against them or their fans its just that they are boring characters derived from an aged forgetful game.

-Bandana Dee hasn't got the slightest shot. I'm not surprised he has support but the amount of support and expectation is mind-blowing. I understand this game warrants more obscure representation but representation for the sake of representation is wasteful.

-That Alphonzo meme was never funny. I'll admit some people have done some creative things with it but that's the most I can say about that.

-The SSB4 boards are way over moderated. It's not that there are too many moderators or that the moderators themselves are bad people, just that the rules for the boards are way overkill and have sapped a lot of life from the whole community aspect of these forums. And yes I consider this a smash 4 opinion considering this is the first place we all go to gather and share smash news.
Like, how they butchered the Miiverse Photos thread by not letting us answer with GIFs or make jokes?

And my blood doesn't always boil.

D

Deleted member

My opinions:
-Pac-man is terrible idea
-I don't want Ike to come back
-I would prefer Zoroark over Mewtwo
-Why the heck would Waddle Dee be in the game?

pitthekit

Smash Ace
Like, how they butchered the Miiverse Photos thread by not letting us answer with GIFs or make jokes?

And my blood doesn't always boil.
I agree I missed all the awesome off topic jokes and gifs.

The funny thing is we would only go off topic after the potd has been released for like 8 hours.

When a new potd is revealed we will talk about it and not go off topic, but after a few hours we will go off topic out of boredom.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
My opinions:
-Pac-man is terrible idea
-I don't want Ike to come back
-I would prefer Zoroark over Mewtwo
I don't mind Ike staying, but if he's cut for the sake of Chrom, then so be it! As much as I liked Ike, I'm not gonna make like Roy supporters and pretend the character that I like is relevant to the franchise.

Last edited:

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
* I'm on the fence with Ridley. Ridley is awesome and it would be great to see him join the ranks of playable characters in Smash.... but only if he were done justice. I'm not worried about size or anything like that-- I just want Ridley to be good, otherwise his character will be severely be cheapened. Long story short, either top-tier Ridley or bust. (Either way, I doubt Sakurai's going to add him, even though I'd love to be wrong about that).

* Melee is by far the best game in the series (not counting mods), but it wasn't perfect and the rest of the characters outside of the top 8 could have used some serious rebalancing. (This might not be too unopopular an opinion, but w/e)

* Pichu is my most wanted P:M clone engine character by far. It would be cruel to leave only Pichu out in light of bring Mewtwo and Roy back, and I think the game could use a 'lulz' character players can disrespect with-- everybody's so legit in P:M that the fun and humiliation of beating your friends with the garbage-tier character is gone. Not to mention they could do a lot of cool stuff by giving Pichu new moves (a Discharge attack that functions similar to Plasma Kirby in KSS? An agility move that gives Pichu three zips instead of two?) The character has a lot more potential than people realize.

* They may as well have brought Melee's engine back. I'd imagine that most casual fans will enjoy the game just so long as all of their favorite characters show up. In terms of game engine, I think they'd be better off catering to more diehard players.

* Pit should have made Melee over the Ice Climbers. Dedede should have made the Melee roster as well.

* Not too crazy about Zero Suit Samus. It feels like her addition has unnecessarily oversexualized Samus. What made her so great was that she was a tough as nails bounty hunter who kicked butt, took names, and was no nonsense. The more prominent ZSS became, the more and more it felt like fans only had two things to talk about whenever the subject of Samus came up. All that skintight fanservice goes against everything her character is all about.

* ROB's importance is overrated IMO. ROB was important for all the wrong reasons. He feels like too much of an overblown Trojan Horse-- like he was more of an excuse to call Nintendo something else besides a video game so they could get fans hooked on the actually good games like Duck Hunt, Mario, Mega Man, the Legend of Zelda, Castlevania, etc. ROB wasn't much of anything special on his own.

* I think Star Fox is good on representation with just Fox and Falco.

* I'd gladly take a smaller roster with 30ish characters that was actually balanced over a 60+ character mess where only five or six characters wound up being actually good. (as long as none of the ESSENTIAL characters were cut, such as Marth, Bowser, Zelda, or the original 12.)

* If one of them HAS to go, I think Ness should stay over Lucas. Ness's game is the only one in the series to see an international release, it's been recently re-released, Ness has appeared in every Smash game, and Mother 3 is surprisingly enough, a contested sequel in Japan.
(source: http://earthboundcentral.com/2012/10/mother-and-japanese-fans/ )
It would be great to see both return though.

* Pac-man is a perfect fit for Smash. And before anyone accuses me of only supporting him because Namco is working on the game, I supported Pac in the pre-brawl days.
The 'no moveset' argument is bunk to me, seeing as that didn't stop the likes of Zelda, Captain Falcon, Fox/Falco, or the Ice Climbers, and that Pac-man has a wide variety of moves they could pull from the Pac-man World games. People like to say that his moveset would be boring, but 'boring' is completely subjective.
The other popular argument I hear is that only his arcade game was any good and that his series is substandard, which is irrelevant. Sonic's had a few duds as well, and he is still a great choice for Smash. Not to mention that the Pac-man world 2 in particular got fairly good decent reviews and that Pac-man has starred in games alongside Mario himself..
Overall, it really sounds like a lot of people are unfairly holding him to impossible standards that they aren't holding ANY other character to and going out of their way to disregard anything that makes his liklehood evident because they're miffed and they don't want to admit that Pac-man stands a way better chance of being included over the random character they've been personally pulling for that will probably never even be considered.
I can respect the opinions of the naysayers who don't want him. However, "I hate x character" is not a reason why a character won't be included. It would be a lot better to at least be honest about their reasoning being subjective, as opposed to using that personal bias to try and prove that he is an objectively terrible choice.

On a side note, if Yoshi, Captain Falcon, and Ness don't make SSB4, I'm slapping somebody.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't mind Ike staying, but if he's cut for the sake of Chrom, then so be it! As much as I liked Ike, I'm not gonna make like Roy supporters and pretend the character that I like is relevant to the franchise.
He is though. Only lord who had two games (barring Marth).

i am completely ok with yoshi being gone

I can't work with these people.....

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think most people in this thread are stupid.

I also think, in retrospect, that the SSE should've never existed.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Oh, I got confused, still...I think Marth's still the only 'mainstay' character of the Fire Emblem series, he's just mentioned so much :v
I dunno. Ike's getting there. Especially after Priam.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I think most people in this thread are stupid.
21 pages later and someone finally said it. xD

And while we're on the topic of Yoshi... IN MY OPINION, Yoshi is the worst character in Smash history strictly from a gameplay standpoint. His janky movement, weird shield mechanics, and lack of a proper recovery bothered me all the way back from Smash 64.

Last edited:

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I guess I'll name a couple (and I'll just put this here for safety):

-If any of the original 12 are removed in this installment, it'll definitely lose the luster of being Smash Bros for me.
-I believe some of the Brawl vets should be cut (mainly Lucario, Toon Link, and Sonic).
-Midna would be a great playable character Assist Trophy (and is now the undisputed true).
-Demise would be a good replacement for Ganondorf. If he's still too much like Falcon regardless of skin changes, I think history will repeat itself.
-The next potential Pokemon rep will be terrible if it's lower than Generation 4 (unless it's Mewtwo). (And was carefully evaded with Greninja).
-While we're at it, I don't care if Mewtwo does come back or not.

EDITED: 4/13

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
The lack of a built-in Ethernet port putting almost everyone at the mercy of Wi-Fi dropouts and error correction or cheap third party Ethernet adapters that are hit and miss. will negatively affect many people's performance.

R0Y

Smash Master

See the Ethernet ports on the back of every PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and PS4? Those are a good thing, and all but the Xbox 360's (which is the oldest console at 2005) are futureproofed for lightning-fast gigabit connections.
The lack of a built-in one is really annoying on a modern console, especially when the alternatives are hit and miss third party options or the $25+shipping official solution, all doomed to USB 2.0 speeds.

Last edited:

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
No, friend! Wear it proud!!
She had a small shot in Brawl, but even I knew it wouldn't happen. The fact that I'm saying she could be an Assist Trophy is probably the highest she can go this time around. Though, I could totally see Ghirahim or Demise having a greater shot at this time around. Of course, I wouldn't be disappointed if none of this happens but would be cool to see.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Warning Received
-I think a lot of people who post here may have never even played a smash bros game. A lot of the criticisms on the last few pages have clearly been criticisms made out of ignorance because of this. For example, I read a criticism about Project ledges' being harder to grab than Brawl's on a particular stage, when in all actuality the frame data shows that the opposite is true, and quite frankly, after one play of it, you should know that to be true.

-Gameplay > all other stuff, but all other stuff should help the gameplay. Anyone who says otherwise clearly doesn't even play smash bros games, so their opinions don't matter.

-People who don't enter tournaments (or don't plan on doing so) should have no impact on tournaments and how they function, including rulesets. Including them in that kind of stuff is like including Canadians in America elections; it makes no sense since it isn't their choice to make.

-I think all the negative opinions towards competitive smash players here on the pre-release smash 4 boards will make the smash 4 boards barren competitively. I hate that idea, because I love the direction the staff is taking this site, and I don't want to see the anti-competitive community derail it. I know personally that several competitive players avoid these boards because of how rabid some anti-competitive posters are.

In fact, I know top level players that avoid these boards because of that. I won't name names, but they are names.

-I think the pre-release smash 4 user community and culture sucks, and that the pre-release Brawl culture and community was a thousand times better.

-I like "wrong" people. "Wrong" is not stupid by the way. "Wrong" just means it didn't happen.

For instance, @thethirdkoopa who IMO is the best smash speculator of all-time, has great ideas for a playable Claus/Masked Man and a playable Isaac. That didn't happen in Brawl, but his ideas were awesome.

He dared to be wrong, and because of it, we were all better for it. He didn't do it just to do it, he did it because he thought his opinions were awesome, and they were. He questioned the norm, and showed us awesome ideas.

So yeah, you all should read the posts of @thethirdkoopa and be more like that in terms of speculation. As for gameplay, there is no one better than @ Big-Cat Big-Cat the king of crazy ideas that may never happen, but honestly, once you chew on them a bit, taste as good as pie, are as addicted as crack, but are as healthy as broccoli. Yet sadly, people pass his incredible opinions over for the stupidest crap I have ever read.

One time specifically that sticks out is Kuma mentioned a mechanic for a movement option for shield rolling in a thread on movement, and instead of responding to it, people responded to the idea that grabbing out of the shield is too advanced. Some of them responded positively to that person. Seriously, that's among the dumbest things I've ever seen.

It's like those posters were at a grocery store and had the cure for cancer visibly within reach, but instead, they grabbed the People magazine because it had Kim Kardashian on the cover.

-This is the worst thread on SWF by far, and it isn't close. I mean, I really love reading the OP's stuff (I think he's a great user), I love the mods, I love the SWF staff, I love a lot more posters now, but the fact we can't critique or criticize anyone's opinion here in this thread is stupid, and it makes me sick.

Whoops, I broke the rule... and the fourth wall. *shrugs*

Hey @Wiseguy how ya doing=???

#ReferencesToThat

I became a good poster because I was criticized. I learned other opinions because I was criticized. I expanded my horizons because I was criticized. I have more thought out opinions because I was criticized.

Heck, I typed in txt tlk. I was the worst poster before I routinely posted on SWF. I was your atypical GameFAQss piece of crap garbage mumbo jumbo poster, except I knew how to do "advanced" things like L-cancelling, wavedashing, wavelanding, dash dancing, etc, that aren't really advanced at all. But because people told me I was being stupid, I was able to see they were right, and I decided to stop.

I was one of the worst posters you could imagine. I was so awful it hurt. If some of my opinions then got worse, they'd start giving users polio.

Yet, because of the culture and community, I became one of the best. And you know what=??? I am thankful for that. I was largely a product of my environment.

===

This thread and its' policy is the ultimate result of a culture opposite of the one I just mentioned for the pre-Brawl SWF boards. Instead of calling a spade a spade, and saying what's true right and honestly, we gotta make everyone feel right, and it's made these boards dumber.

And no, it's not the mods faults, it's not the OP's thread fault. It's everyone's fault. We shouldn't let this stand. We should call stupid things stupids, and yet, we just let them coexist with "smart" ideas as "smart" ideas. Instead, we let it "slide". I don't know if we're too scared to offend someone, we're afraid to get banned (weird because the mods are lenient and reasonable), or if we think "stupid" things are "smart", but something is really wrong.

The pre-Brawl speculation community here on SWF had this underlying drive to be great within the frequent posters; the pre-Smash 4 speculation community here on SWF has this underlying drive to just say what they want and not have to deal with the consequences or have to deal with any "logic". They just want to exist in their own reality, even if it's a false one.

I don't know, but I wanna help fix that.

Here's an example of this, and no, I don't care that I'm breaking a rule (although I'm not entirely sure that I am), because I think the ends justify the means, since I believe (at least to some extent) in utilitarianism, and I think my post can make this place better!
Now the big one, which I touched on before. But people seriously need to get over Melee, I'm sorry. There's nothing wrong with liking it better than Brawl, but come on, some of you worship the game like it's a gift from god and the best game to ever exist. I'm not saying that because I like Brawl better, because I'd react the same way if the roles were reversed. I just don't see why people worship it so much.
>The banner reads "Celebrating over 15 years of Smash"
>>Buries people who love melee.
>>>Says people can't say it is the best game to ever exist.

Sorry, but people can like whatever the heck game they can choose to like. Unlike you, Melee is my favorite game of all-time. I've put thousands of hours into it, and I've loved just about every second of it. I've mad several friends via that game, and I have days worth of good memories involving that game. This is supposed to be the place where people worship and love a Smash game. This isn't like a Killzone forum, a clock collecting forum, or something like that.

You can't just tell me I can't love something because of your little stupid self-controlled reality where you need to control things. You're not the one in power, and if you were, we'd all be screwed.

My opinions doesn't just apply to Melee, but 64, Brawl, Project M, Brawl -, Brawl +, Balanced Brawl, or heck, any other games. I say heck, enjoy what you enjoy. Play what you play. LOVE IT AS MUCH AS YOU WANT! HECK, HATE ANYTHING AS MUCH AS YOU WANT! THE (SMASH) WORLD IS YOURS MY FRIENDS!!!

If you want to say Melee is a bad game, you can say it. You can say it's God's gift. You can say that about any (Smash) game! But you can't tell other people what to think. You're not God. You shouldn't have that right to tell people what they need to do, since what you are saying is that they should enjoy a game less, whereas what I'm trying to do is to get people to be "more intelligent".

This is the kind of atypical GameFAQs posting we need to call atypical GameFAQs posting. This is the stupid we gotta call stupid. This is exactly what I was posting like before I stopped lurking SWF and starting posting in the pre-release Brawl Boards. I want this poster to end out a good, constructive poster like I did who doesn't tell people they can't love what they love. That's what I want. I want us to craft weaker posters into better ones.

And you know what=??? We're all to blame for it. Every last one of us. Myself included. In fact, especially me, since I've noticed it for so long, but I couldn't proper articulate it. Which is why enough is enough.

Let's make the pre-release Smash 4 boards better guys... for everyone... by finally calling a dumb post a dumb post, and a good post a good one.

Like I said earlier, you can be "wrong" but still be "good", but you can still be "dumb" and "right" (although it will be for the wrong reasons, which thus in other ways makes you wrong).

We gotta want to improve our community here together.
I think most people in this thread are stupid..
I agree with you just because you're the smartest person in this thread (and I think anyone who says otherwise is dead wrong).

But alas, you are correct. Most of the people in this thread are stupid, but only because they choose to be so. They aren't inherently stupid, of course.

It sucks, because they could choose to be smart, and they could potential become as smart or smarter than you or I, but these Smash 4 boards as a culture and community seem to be okay with stupid, and this thread basically in the title alone makes it THE PLACE FOR STUPID!!!

Last edited:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
@ Johnknight1 Johnknight1 I agree with most of your post, but I just want to reemphasize that I only made this thread for fun. I've disagreed with about 90% of what I've read but I've enjoyed letting posters vent their thoughts without fear of being criticized. I never intended for this to be the type of thread for people to take super seriously. Feel free to vent about this board but please don't quote individual posters again. I'd like to keep this thread as debate free for as long as possible. :x

Unlike the pre-Brawl days a vast majority of the posters on this board are pretty ignorant when it comes to the Smash competitive scene, so by nature there's not a lot of room for intelligent gameplay discussion that you clearly crave (as do I). After a while I kinda gave up on that and instead just post here for ****s and giggles (and Smash 4 hype) most of the time. I do enjoy quite a few posters here as well, even some of the more casual oriented ones.

I honestly think you're just expecting too much from most of the posters on this board... Yeah there's a lot of silliness but we were all bad posters at one point or another. Can't ignore the fact that we've been around 6-7 years longer than most of the people who post here. Cut em some slack. :p

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@ Johnknight1 Johnknight1 I agree with most of your post, but I just want to reemphasize that I only made this thread for fun. I've disagreed with about 90% of what I've read but I've enjoyed letting posters vent their thoughts without fear of being criticized.
I admire the ideal, but people will be criticized no matter what they do. Sometimes it's warranted and other times it's not. People need to learn when it does and doesn't matter.

andimidna

Smash Master
I have Dixie and Cranky on my roster, yet no K Rool
That's about as unpopular as opinions get :p

My opinions:
I think that's just a running gag here on SmashBoards, I don't think they're actually requesting him.
And it's not like he comes up anywhere else, so I wouldn't call that an unpopular opinion.
The others were though.

Last edited:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I admire the ideal, but people will be criticized no matter what they do. Sometimes it's warranted and other times it's not. People need to learn when it does and doesn't matter.
But the fact that no criticism is allowed is what makes this particular thread so unique.

I'm in no way supportive of a board where posters get away with saying whatever they want... I just wanted to keep that type of environment unique to this thread only. A lot of people know that their opinions are either a) unpopular or b) flat out wrong which is why they post them in here.

It honestly sounds like you and @ Johnknight1 Johnknight1 have more of a problem with this board as opposed to this thread in particular.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Just like the pre-Brawl days a vast majority of the posters on this board are pretty ignorant when it comes to the Smash competitive scene
Fix'd.

I honestly think you're just expecting too much from most of the posters on this board... Yeah there's a lot of silliness but we were all bad posters at one point or another. Can't ignore the fact that we've been around 6-7 years longer than most of the people who post here. Cut em some slack. :p
^ This.

It doesn't matter how good or bad a poster/Smasher is (yourself and your examples included), John. This thread exists, and the topic owner chose its guidelines for a reason. If you don't want to deal with its/the community's stupidity, then avoid it/them respectively. A single thread free of any criticism is not the end of the world. I'm not saying any of your opinions are right or wrong, just that this isn't the place to take it out on users that disagree with you. And personally, while your intentions are good (ish), most of your post comes off as extremely derogatory to users that aren't your friends/aren't familiar with you or your posting style. You're getting too hung up over anti-competitive and people who don't think highly of Melee, and while you may have your opinions/views, calling them stupid repeatedly is ultimately worsening the schism/problem. If you really want them to become better posters, then do so by showing them a good example rather than just reiterating your own story(s).

Feel free to disagree with me on any and/or all of this, for it is in and of itself, an Unpopular Opinion.
So long as it is not breaking the Global Rules/this thread's guidelines, that's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom