• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions - share them here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Toad

Smash Apprentice
Man, this thread seems like it was literally made for pretty much all of my opinions on Smash. (Very few are popular)

Wow, where to even start....

-I think Toad deserves to be in Smash.... and to be more than just a meatshield, (its offensive to such a long serving and decent character, with enough of a potential moveset to make him a playable character in his own right.)

-I don't want Chrom or Lucina in Smash, because Lucina is basically Marth, and Chrom is basically Marth + Ike... and both use Marth's sword, so do not want.

-I don't like Toon Link being in Smash. Not only does he seem to be better than Original Link, but he also has the same move set and Sakurai said no more Clones.

-I liked to play Pichu in Melee for legit reasons and not just for laughs. (So unpopular, even my playing style is unpopular)

-I want Ike to stay (I mained Ike in Brawl)

-I'm not a fan of Falco, and he feels a bit cloney, and considering he's all: "Personally I prefer the air" he uses a Landmaster... (This might be popular, I'm not sure)

-I don't like Wii Fit Trainer's inclusion.

-I want Dixie over K. Rool because she's still relevant to the series. (<--If my falco one was popular then this one will definitely counter that with how unpopular it really is.)

- I don't like Bowser Jr, but would have still preferred him over Rosalina.

- I don't like Peach's moveset, and think it should have more references to Super Princess Peach (Also Toad fan)

Okay I better stop now before I break the record of having the most unpopular opinions Smash Boards has ever witnessed (especially in a single post).

SunnyDust

Smash Journeyman
  • I think Ridley fits better as a boss than as a playable character. I also think his fans are going too deep with his deconfirmation. Oh well, denial is the first step to acceptance after all.
  • Ridley has a ****ty fanbase.
  • I don't think Mii will be playable.
  • I'm completely satisfied with the current roster and Greninja is my most hyped newcomer, followed by the Villager.
  • We need more Pokémon from other generations, not just from the first one.
  • I don't really like Mewtwo and I don't care if he returns or not. I prefer Lucario anyway.
  • I like Roy, but I think he should stay in the graveyard.
  • I hate how Fox and Falco look in Melee.
  • Retro Pac-Man would be a cool assist trophy.
  • I wanted R.O.B. cut at first, but now I want him to stay.
  • I like surprising newcomers more than expected ones.
  • I find King K. Rool ugly.
  • I don't consider Sakurai as a troll.
  • I like Brawl more than Melee.
  • Smash 4 will be the best in the series.
  • Too many people forget that Smash is a casual game, not a competitive one. Don't hate Brawl just because it was not Melee.
(Sorry if I made mistakes, not a native english speaker)

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Smash 3DS looks very lackluster, and I'm not talking about the visuals. The audio sounds very bad compared to its Wii U counterpart, and even all previous Smash titles. And while it has been confirmed that both games will have the same physics and speed, it really feels like the Wii U verison is so much faster and less floatier, but that may be because of the visual and audio effects.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
I prefer mudane, close range fighters(Like Donkey, Diddy, and Bowser) more than "out there, gimmicky" fighters.

And yet, I don't really want Captain Falcon, Wario, nor Ike to return if they remained unchanged.

I don't like Mega Man's moveset. I prefer if he had PPK Weak Attack, the Mega Buster as his Standard B Special, the ability to switch weapons(I prefer the Gen1 Weapons + Magnet Beam) and the Mega Uppercut(from Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters) to be his Up B Special, as a true nod to Street Fighter.

Also, Top Spin only works in the air!

Speaking of which, I didn't think he did Kirby justice, either.

Last edited:

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Frankly, I don't want Captain Falcon to return.You can only take so many non-ironic caps-lock "FALCON PUNCH" and "KNEE OF JUSTICE" jokes before it gets to be too much. On another forum, one user would post about Captain Falcon in literally every post he made.

But my opinion on Captain Falcon stems more from the community than Falcon himself, so I won't be upset if he returns.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I still don't get why the hell Mario got FLUDD but Luigi didn't get his Poltergust and think Sakurai makes some pretty stupid decisions when it comes to movesets. Ganondorf still a Falcon Clone in Brawl was dumb, Peach having no Super Princess Peach moves is dumb.

I hate Lucas. There I said it. I would of preferred a character that felt vastly different for the second Mother rep if there HAD to be one.
Look at all these good opinions.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
I've posted here before, and I tend to ignore the competitive forums so I don't know what I've already said or what constitutes "unpopular", but here are my current thoughts.

1. The current roster is extremely weak.
2. Villager and Little Mac are logical additions, but none of the new characters are remotely inspiring.
3. I'm glad there are no more transformations.
4. I hope Snake is cut.
5. I'd prefer no further cuts, but I wouldn't be especially concerned if Jigglypuff, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Ike, Lucas or ROB don't return.
6. I would rather have more characters, even if some of them are clones.
7. Given the 3DS version will have the same roster, I don't see SSB4 as an incentive to buy a Wii U.
8. Can Pit please make an appearance in a video where he isn't getting his clock cleaned by someone else? He was on the receiving end in every shot outside of his own segment during the Direct.
9. Sakurai is genuinely trying to make the best Smash he can and you all need to stop saying ridiculous things like "he hates the community."
10. The Substitute doll in the chair was the best part of the Direct.
11. Ridley is still in with a chance. Sakurai knows how important Ridley is to many people and I don't think he would deliberately string people along in the way that some people here are suggesting.
12. Greninja was a terrible choice, worse than Lucario.
13. Why the hell is Lucario back?
14. If Pac-Man is included I suspect it will make me physically sick.

I'm sure there are more, but I'm sick of thinking.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Updating mine for the direct

* I don't care if Mewtwo is in or not now
* Even without Ridley or King K Rool the roster will be great
* I like Lucas and Wolf but they need to have something new if they return otherwise why bother?
* Gardevoir should've been the gen 3 rep for Pokemon

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
Ridley, K. Rool and Mewtwo get way too much attention

Pac-Man is relatively okay I guess (but actually isn't any opinion regarding Pac-Man unpopular)

Last edited:

Nippo

Smash Cadet
Little Mac should have stayed an assist trophy. If there was to be a Punch-Out newcomer, it should have been Bald Bull or King Hippo.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
I prefer Ridley as a boss.

I dislike Kirby's new side-B, I preferred the old-school hammer.

slicesabre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2621-2933-2738
-Ridley and Mewtwo whiners have been crying for so long and complaining for so long I no longer care. They ruin every discussion of smash with their cries. To an extent I hope they're in the game so that the two worst fan bases within the Smash community shut the hell up.

-I like Brawl more than Melee

-I loved Pichu, but I got over him not being in Brawl pretty easily.

-Ike will be cut in favor of Chrom

-People are overly dramatic about who is and isn't in the games and it shows they clearly don't trust Sakurai's guidance despite him making three amazing and highly successful Smash games. (Yes Mr. tournament goer Brawl is a highly successful and good game and just because didn't cater to you isn't as big an issue since it clearly appealed to everyone else)

-People who think the 3DS is holding back the WiiU version are clearly insane and cannot be reasoned with nor should anyone try.

-I think Sakurai is justified in having Retro characters like G&W and Ice Climbers. Just because there are newer and more popular choices doesn't mean a company with such history should limit itself to what is popular at the moment.

-The Competitive community tries to strut around as though they're much more important than they are when they're really a tiny part of the overall fanbase. They are a fanbase that cannot ever be satisfied whereas the casuals are and aren't liable to go on campaigns against buying the game because of small changes. I applauded Sakurai for trying to throw them a bone and admonish them for biting his hand the moment he did.

Last edited:
T

Trick or Treat

I'm disappointed that Sheik and ZSS are in the game, taking up separate roster slots apparently.

I was glad that it was Greninja and not Mewtwo revealed in the Direct.

You can call me a Ridley whiner/fangirl all you want, but if he's not in the game, it IS getting kind of mean, now, with Sakurai's 'trolling'. Ridley's one of the most popularly requested characters, at least in the West, and Metroid deserves another rep, as ZSS does NOT count, I'm sorry. The problem with all this trolling is that it makes it seem like Ridley's supporters are just stupid or crazy for wanting him in the game so much. Which they're not. A little trolling is fine, but to the extent that he's gone, Ridley had better be in the game, as a playable character. I'd feel the same way regardless of who the character was.

And as always, Brawl > Melee. :)

Edit: To clarify, I would've been fine with Ridley not being playable, had Sakurai not 'trolled' this much. So it's not like I'm just "bawww ridley bawwwww". It's moreso the extent of which he teases us that I have a problem with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vkrm

Smash Lord
-The Competitive community tries to strut around as though they're much more important than they are when they're really a tiny part of the overall fanbase. They are a fanbase that cannot ever be satisfied whereas the casuals are and aren't liable to go on campaigns against buying the game because of small changes. I applauded Sakurai for trying to throw them a bone and admonish them for biting his hand the moment he did.
The competitive scene could be seen as the largest unified part of the fanbase depending on how you look at it. We are the only part where you can see a general consensus for what we we want in the next game which would be things like uncancelable hit stun, faster overall speed ect. And it's not as if any of what were asking for would make smash 4 less appealing to the casuals. I'm sorry if I'm missing the point the point of this thread by replying to a comment I disagree with.

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
- I really like Greninja as a fighter
- I think all the newcomers revealed so far have been logical choices
- I think the Wii u version coming out in winter is very logical because that's when most consoles and games are sold
- If I had to choose one veteran to be cut it would be snake

Last edited:

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
As someone who plays casually but likes watching tourneys, 99% of the casual vs. tourney guys wars are started by angry casuals, who just wait until an uncaring tourney player pulls the "lel SSB4 will be shallow/can't compare to Melee" to then play up a persecution complex.

I don't think I've really cared about the newcomers as an inclusion, Sonic got in Brawl and is in SSB4 so aside from crowd pleasers I don't particularly miss people. Sakurai has sold me entirely on movesets and play styles, so allow me to point and laugh at anyone complaining about the roster.

Soupenomics

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-6913-7316
You don't deserve any credibility after kissing up to a random person on the internet. Take a step back from your computer and face reality.
I've actually spoken to this person before, I'm not kissing up to any body. All I did was state that I cared about my friend's opinion, and now you're accusing me of "kissing up".

Last edited:

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
- I'm serious about being a casual gamer, and I get so sick of the competitive scene being treated like it's the only thing that matters (by the competitive gamers, of course; Sakurai is trying to please everyone and gets so much crap for it)
- The only cuts that wouldn't bother me at all from Brawl (which, yes, I like better than Melee) are Wolf and Snake (though I'll live with any cuts at this point cuz I trust in the developers)
- I've always felt that the 1st gen of Pokémon was painfully overrepresented, and I couldn't care less if Mewtwo makes a comeback (and Jigglypuff... I like better than Mewtwo, but could still live without); thus I really enjoy the inclusions of Lucario and Greninja (as well as true Gen 1 mascots Pikachu and Charizard)
- I'm not sold on Ridley's deconfirmation, but I'll be fine either way; it'd be cool to play as him, but it'll also be cool to scramble to fight him as a stage boss on Pyrosphere

And the crowning unpopular opinion:

- I don't count Toad as deconfirmed. There are several ways that he could still be worked into the roster, and I'd be so fine with 6 Mario reps.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
I feel like this is an AA meeting. I love it.

- I think K. Rool, Shulk, and/or Ridley's inclusion would be stupid.
- I hate that third party character inclusion is a thing, even though I love Sonic, Snake, and Mega Man.
- Isaac deserves to be a character more than Greninja, Rosalina, and any third party character.
- Despite this, I love the how the roster is turning out.
- Brawl is better than Melee.
- Project M is a game for a bunch of nostalgics who can't stand too much change.

Yams

Smash Journeyman
-Commander Video, Banjo and Kazooie, and Meat Boy are my most desired 3rd parties.
-Waluigi is the best
-I don't care about Palutena or Shulk
-Boney should be the next Mother rep
-Dillon sucks
-I can only imagine Dixie Kong as a clone
-Hawlucha would have been better than Greninja
-I'd take Mew over Mewtwo
-Reggie is a good choice
-Ganondorf can stay the same and I wouldn't care
-There are more important characters than Ridley
-I would be okay if the only newcomers from here on out were retro
-Excitebiker and Mach Rider are sweg
-Doc Louis > King Hippo

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
It's dangerous to go alone, take these!

- Mario deserves 6 reps
- I want Geno to be that rep
- The only thing I can say that I legitimately do not like about the roster is the inclusion of Sheik and ZSS as their own characters, taking a spot that could have gone to, say, Vaati or Ridley
- Speaking of Ridley, absolutely not deconfirmed in any way. When Toon Link is played as, Alfonzo takes his place. (When playing as Ridley, the Pyrosphere stage gets no change in effect because the Ridley Boss on that stage uses the Other M design and is significantly larger) Other M Ridley: Leahve it to meh!
- Vaati makes the most sense for a Zelda newcomer, assuming Tingle would rep his series and there IS a Zelda newcomer.

T

Trick or Treat

I don't see the appeal in King K Rool, unfortunately. I'm sure he could be a cool character, but I don't really care for him.

I like Shadow the Hedgehog, and am ashamed to admit that a part of me hopes for him to be playable, even though I know it won't happen, nor should it.

I'm going to miss Squirtle and Ivysaur.

You don't deserve any credibility after kissing up to a random person on the internet. Take a step back from your computer and face reality.
What's the point? Seriously. Trolling random people on a Smash Bros website? Is that how you get your kicks or something? Just leave. If you want to piss people off, it's pretty easy in this thread. Here, I'll show you.

Guys Melee sucks! Brawl's better you Melee fanboys!!!

See? That's all. Say something like that, no need to be a jackass about it.

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
-I want Jigglypuff out.
-I want Wolf out.
-Dillon sucks.
-I can't stand Dixie in Smash.
-I didn't like Mewtwo in Melee but I still want him back.
-The Wii U version should be out before the 3DS version.
-Luigi should have represented his own series so Mario could get new characters.
-I'm very happy the PK Trainer is out.
-I wanted Olimar and Dedede out of Smash.
-I hated Toon Link until I played as him.
-I don't care for any of the cut characters from Melee-Brawl (except Mewtwo).
-I thought Reggie would be good at a time and I still think he would.

D

Deleted member

-The Wii U version should be out before the 3DS version.
That's arguably not unpopular.

What's the point? Seriously. Trolling random people on a Smash Bros website? Is that how you get your kicks or something? Just leave. If you want to piss people off, it's pretty easy in this thread. Here, I'll show you.

Guys Melee sucks! Brawl's better you Melee fanboys!!!

See? That's all. Say something like that, no need to be a ******* about it.
But that's incredibly un-creative, trolls need to act as idiotic as they possibly can!

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
I like Shadow the Hedgehog, and am ashamed to admit that a part of me hopes for him to be playable, even though I know it won't happen, nor should it.
Basically my thoughts in a nutshell, minus the ashamed part, haha.

If he is confirmed playable, I will buy a Wii U on the spot, no questions asked.

Last edited:

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
I don't understand why everyone wants mewtwo back. Sure he's a cool character and all, but besides not being a clone in melee, he was bottom tier forever and still a low tier character now

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
New one. I'm seeing a correlation between openmindedness and personality, and grammer and writing conventions in forum goers in the rumor thread. Better of one is better of the other.

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
- Hoping for more established Nintendo characters as bosses than SSE bosses.
- Mario universe (mario, yoshi, wario, and dk series) should have no more than 1 remaining new-comer (save rosalina) and that's it.
- Let other remaining well-known series get new-comers, especially for Star Fox, Kirby, and Kid Icarus.
- Although I like Snake, but he doesn't fit in Smash Bros., he should go.
- Falco should go too.

...Am I the only one hoping for more cuts and no Melee returns?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
:4greninja: isn't an all star.

He will be eventually, but him being included now was just Game Freak pushing advertisement.

PWN3

Smash Apprentice
Let's do it.

- Mother never deserved a second rep.
- I'm surprisingly accepting of Miis, now. As long as they do weird stuff like they can do in Tomodachi Collection, they'd be a very interesting addition.
- People that are taking the "For Glory" mode as some sort of insult or think it's perpetuating a stereotype are adorable... Not in a good way.
- Not sure if this is unpopular or not, but I'll miss Simon Belmont-ing as Sheik with her whip.

This one's not an opinion at all, but I may as well just ask it here: How does Greninja's tongue-scarf work? Do we just not see the mouth it's coming out of, or what?

Last edited:

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
- I don't want Snake back
- I don't want ROB back
- I never want Waluigi playable