• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions - share them here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
- I'm sick with the whole "waifu" thing that started after the female cast growing in Smash; .. and I'm not against their presences (and I'm actually expecting, at least, one more, and she's Palutena), but c'mon.. this is a fighting game.... It's just like romantic fanfics about Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat couples. lol.
THANK YOU, sir. Thank you for this.

I can't stand any use of the word "waifu".

Mainly because it's stupid and technically racist.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

- I think that Fire Emblem has a too niche specific fanbase, (and actually, is true, and it's not a bad thing, though),... and not expansive as Mario, Pokémon, Donkey Kong, StarFox and such.. .. by this, I think that the idea of having more than 2 characters from this series in the roster is unlikely (not impossible);

- I'm sick with the whole "waifu" thing that started after the female cast growing in Smash; .. and I'm not against their presences (and I'm actually expecting, at least, one more, and she's Palutena), but c'mon.. this is a fighting game.... It's just like romantic fanfics about Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat couples. lol.
Marth is the only acceptable waifu
Yeah, it's pretty cheesy and dumb, but just learn to ignore it, a fanbase is always going to have people like that. Plus I'm pretty sure most of the people who act like that on this forum are doing it tongue-in-cheek. I hope...

TheUnsullied

Smash Apprentice
I think Dixie Kong would be an absolutely horrendous character to put in smash bros. It's sad that people feel the need to add a third rep to a series that doesn't even have that many notable characters to begin with.

LunchPolice

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LunchPolice
3DS FC
5456-0847-1584
- I think Melee is by far the superior competitive game but Brawl's is still viable and I like it more than Melee.
- I think ROB is a shoe-in. Same for Mr. Game & Watch and Ice Climbers.
- I don't think either Ridley or King K.Rool ever had a chance of getting in Smash 4. They're only considered likely because so many people are fired up about it.
- I don't think any of the new characters look OP.
- Toon Link deserves to be in the game.
- Anyone who thought Ashley had a legitimate chance of being playable in Smash 4 is/was delusional.
- Pichu was a lot of fun.

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
-I want Chibi-Robo in Smash.
-I don't see the appeal in Lip or Dixie for Smash.
-I think Ravio would be a great char for Smash.
-Ridley's too small (lol)
-PM isn't that big of an improvement over Brawl.
-I liked the Bridge of Eldin stage in Brawl

D

Deleted member

-I want Chibi-Robo in Smash.
-I don't see the appeal in Lip or Dixie for Smash.
-I think Ravio would be a great char for Smash.
-Ridley's too small (lol)
-PM isn't that big of an improvement over Brawl.
-I liked the Bridge of Eldin stage in Brawl
Ravio would honestly make for an interesting Mega Man style character, but he just uses all of the weapons and tools he rents out for his attacks. It will never happen but I wouldn't object too much.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
I don't want Chrom to be revealed next; we've seen enough blue. Megaman, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, Greninja, Sonic's return, ZSS and Shiek, good ol' Marth. Give us some contrast!

-players who throw around the word casual tend to use it as a defense mechanism that they believe shields them from criticism when they say something out of character or genuinely biased. It doesn't

-I'm happy with any characters we get in smash bros.

-Game play is far more important than graphics or new characters

-Melee was fun in many more dimensions than competitive play with items being more frequent and varied, target test, home run contest, race to the finish etc.

-Board the platforms should return

-As far as character inclusion reasoning goes, people tend to make up things to make their opinions more valuable than they are.

-I really liked flippers

-If you don't want Captain Falcon in Smash 4 you're dead to me

...No--like I'm really serious. I never want to meet you in my life.

-I really really dislike scrubs. Not to be confused with a noob: A new player, but someone who continually ****s on anyone who can play better than them and refuse to learn. If you can't deal go play Barbie Horse Adventures or some ****.

-I'm kinda glad that Smash is coming first on the 3DS because it's gonna be out in a few months and I've fantasizes having smash on the go since I had a game boy advance.

-Tension on these forums would be much less if people spent more time trying to learn from one another by playing instead of criticizing things.

- Something's discussed here can be explained much more simply than they are.

-We need more ground game in smash

-Lovage is amazing <3

-Smashboards was the best back in 2006-2007

-Ryu should be an assist trophy

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
- Glory mode has all but ruined competitive SSB4. Currently we have to choose between:
No items, mediocre stage
OR
All items, great stages mixed with crappy stages
Why can't you have the best of both?

- Megaman should've taken on his MMSF3 form
- any remaining Ridley fanboys who think he still might be in Smash need to stop talking ASAP
- lucario/greninja suck, i'd prefer mewtwo over them
- No, Sakurai... ZSS's recovery was good in Brawl. you had better not ruin it by giving her only a ganondorf style Up-B.

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
This is probably just me, but I feel like it's an unpopular opinion to want platforms in "For Glory" mode...

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Glory mode is NOT competitive play. It's just another online mode and while it certainly is geared towards competition, it will never take precedence over tournaments (at least for the Wii U).

T

Trick or Treat

- Glory mode has all but ruined competitive SSB4. Currently we have to choose between:
No items, mediocre stage
OR
All items, great stages mixed with crappy stages
Why can't you have the best of both?
This is probably just me, but I feel like it's an unpopular opinion to want platforms in "For Glory" mode...
Nah guys, 'cause balance remember!

That's my other unpopular opinion. People on this site are way too obsessed with the idea of balance. I don't think I can go into any thread and not see people relating it to balance, and that annoys me.

Custom movesets? Better be balanced!
Characters? All of them have to be balanced!
Stages? Balanced!
Items? BALANCED!!!

"Balance, balance, balance!" That's all I see, sometimes, and it's annoying. Maybe I don't belong here...

I dislike the idea of balance, and I hate how so many people seem so obsessed over it. It's almost as bad as people constantly bringing up Melee (or Brawl) in their posts, regardless of what the thread is about.

Whether you're a competitive or casual player, you don't need balance to have fun with this game, and I think it's silly for any stage to be banned from competition. I'm sorry but that's just how it is.

Cue the posts calling me stupid. :B

- any remaining Ridley fanboys who think he still might be in Smash need to stop talking ASAP
No.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
@Envy Nothing wrong striving for balance for certain games. Yes, perfect balance will never be achieved with uniqueness in this game, but making sure each unique move is not outright skewing the metagame's balance is recommended. I guess I can understand that some people look too far into it and thinking everything will be balanced out the moment the games are released, which is only setting out for disappointment.

Last edited:
T

Trick or Treat

@Envy Nothing wrong striving for balance for certain games. Yes, perfect balance will never be achieved with uniqueness in this game, but making sure each unique move is not outright skewing the metagame's balance is recommended. I guess I can understand that some people look too far into it and thinking everything will be balanced out the moment the games are released, which is only setting out for disappointment.
I understand that, but take Brawl for example. There aren't many moves that truly wreck the metagame. I agree that a character shouldn't have a move that is just completely OP with no way to avoid it, or no drawback or anything. But that's really as far as I'd go in terms of making everything balanced.

AcanthusLux

Smash Rookie
Hmm...let's see....

1) A "logical" roster selected entirely on 1) Icon status in pop culture and 2) representation of Nintendo's series, projects and history is more important to me than a mechanically or aesthetically "diverse", "interesting" roster. (Note that I don't mean its more important than good mechanics themselves; its still most important that the game "feel good" to play. Just that I don't think characters should be included primarily because they'd be interesting to play or fill a conceptual niche.)

2) I prefer breadth of representation to depth. Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser should all be in because they're mainstream pop icons. But most series could probably just be represented by their main character. (Of course, I also want 0 cuts, so I guess we're well past this point anyway.) I would have preferred Chibi-Robo (or Andy or Ray Mk III or Isaac to, say, Rosalina.

3) I kind of think older secondary characters should trump newer secondary characters. I could be wrong, but I just don't think Nintendo has the mainstream pull they used to. So even though Rosalina might be the superior choice in many ways, I would have preferred Toad, just because he comes from a time when many more households were intimately familiar with what was going on in Mario Land. The same goes for PT's Squirtle and Ivysaur vs. Greninja.
On the other hand, maybe its important for Nintendo to behave as though they can still create cultural icons, whether its true or not, so maybe promoting new characters like Rosalina and Greninja really is for the best.

4) The perfect Smash Brothers game would have 0 cuts from the series overall. The only possible exceptions are Dr. Mario and Young Link, because they have such close spiritual successors in Mario and Toon Link, I'm not sure they really count as "cuts". (At this point, this kind of contradicts #1-3, but oh well.) Actually, I guess disliking cuts so much is why I'm a little skeptical about adding newly minted characters and secondary characters from well represented series--I'm wondering how much sense they'll make in Smash Brothers 7.

5) I prefer Roy to Marth. (Of course, I only know them from Smash, never having played FE. I get the impression my opinion would be different if I had.)

6) I want Pichu back (although I have 0 faith in the possibility). If they tried to actually make him a competitive character, with a "suicide rush" strategy, I might very well main him.

7) Despite having picked on Rosalina (and Greninja) a fair amount above, I find the character additions in Sm4sh way more exciting than the character additions in Brawl. (Of course, Pokemon Trainer was probably my favorite addition in Brawl, so its not all good news...) In particular, I think Villager and WFT are brilliant choices that represent the "new gaming" with a focus on non-violent, "life-style" games. (This is the same reason I'd like to see Mii, Chibi-Robo and, if possible, Professor Layton in smash. A lot of the most popular games now aren't about hitting things, and that should be represented...even in a game about hitting things...)

Wow...ask for my opinion and I'll just go on and on...

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I understand that, but take Brawl for example. There aren't many moves that truly wreck the metagame. I agree that a character shouldn't have a move that is just completely OP with no way to avoid it, or no drawback or anything. But that's really as far as I'd go in terms of making everything balanced.
Somewhat true, but the problem with that example is the fact that it's not taking in consideration of the whole moveset. Most of the higher tier characters in that game have a lot strong (not entirely meta-breaking) moves (and one character nearly the whole moveset coming out strong and swifly) and the rest of the cast are littered with really, weak moves that gimps them in the long run of the match. It's no wonder some people want to seek more balance in SSB4, but too much of it would dull out unique moves. There will always be a high tier and low tier, but the balance should be good enough to the point that low tier should be somewhat viable and may give a few high tier characters some actual trouble.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Not sure whether this is actually an unpopular opinion, but it might be based on all the butthurt fans. I think Ridley is completely done. He is a stage hazard on Pyrosphere.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Not sure whether this is actually an unpopular opinion, but it might be based on all the butthurt fans. I think Ridley is completely done. He is a stage hazard on Pyrosphere.
Ridley is probably a boss character. I looked at the video again and it looks like he's doing his fire move like in most Metroid games.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think Dixie Kong would be an absolutely horrendous character to put in smash bros. It's sad that people feel the need to add a third rep to a series that doesn't even have that many notable characters to begin with.
This is an unpopular opinion? I was under the impression that it is popular to bash on Dixie Kong and glorify King K. Rool. :rolleyes:

C_Mill24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C-Mill24
3DS FC
3609-1632-1621
Ghirahim does not deserve a spot on the roster.

I hope Mewtwo doesn't return

I don't think Pacman will ever be included

Ridley's overrated

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
-I don't really like it when people say they'll play project M anyway, instead of SSB4
1) SSB4 hasn't even been released yet
2) Project M is a hack
Even though it's a non-profit thing, it's still kinda wrong, imho

T

Trick or Treat

There will always be a high tier and low tier, but the balance should be good enough to the point that low tier should be somewhat viable and may give a few high tier characters some actual trouble.
It's already like that.

Also, matches aren't decided based on tier. They're decided based on how good the player is. Any character can beat any character, that's undeniable. It just depends on who the player is. And sure, some characters have certain disadvantages, but nothing game-breaking at all.

That also doesn't explain stage "balance", either.

But mostly, I hate going into the majority of the threads here and seeing a bunch of people, without fail, going on about balance.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
It's already like that.

Also, matches aren't decided based on tier. They're decided based on how good the player is. Any character can beat any character, that's undeniable. It just depends on who the player is. And sure, some characters have certain disadvantages, but nothing game-breaking at all.

That also doesn't explain stage "balance", either.

But mostly, I hate going into the majority of the threads here and seeing a bunch of people, without fail, going on about balance.
That's debatable to say, but I'm not going to go too far off topic to mention why. It'll be more apparent with SSB4, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I really, really dislike WFT's movement. I swear, ROB had more natural movement than her.
Unfortunately for you, discussion threads about balance, matchups and technical aspects of the game concerning stages/characters are only going to increase as we approach the release date and more footage is shown. You'll probably get used to it over time.

Morbi

Scavenger
I really, really dislike WFT's movement. I swear, ROB had more natural movement than her.

Unfortunately for you, discussion threads about balance, matchups and technical aspects of the game concerning stages/characters are only going to increase as we approach the release date and more footage is shown. You'll probably get used to it over time.
Really? I thought that Wii Fit Trainer was one of the most natural; surprisingly. I mean, her sudden push-ups and whatnot were strange, but her movement in general seemed more than fine to me.

Unpopular Opinion: I am glad that Pokemon Trainer was removed; replaced with solo Charizard. It was the most logical omission, I am really glad that Sakurai went through with it. I hope for more cuts as well.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Really? I thought that Wii Fit Trainer was one of the most natural; surprisingly. I mean, her sudden push-ups and whatnot were strange, but her movement in general seemed more than fine to me.

Unpopular Opinion: I am glad that Pokemon Trainer was removed; replaced with solo Charizard. It was the most logical omission, I am really glad that Sakurai went through with it. I hope for more cuts as well.
I dunno man, all of her moves are pretty sudden. I thought that stretching was all about smooth, relaxing movements. The only thing I've seen that's reasonably natural is her breathing special, and that's about it. Just to be clear, I don't hate the character, it's just this one aspect that irks me.

Morbi

Scavenger
I dunno man, all of her moves are pretty sudden. I thought that stretching was all about smooth, relaxing movements. The only thing I've seen that's reasonably natural is her breathing special, and that's about it. Just to be clear, I don't hate the character, it's just this one aspect that irks me.
No, that is completely fine, that is what this thread is for. In fact, I am going to go back and look at some of her game-play. Maybe my initial impressions influenced my perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom