• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Unleashing a 2-D Horror - A Game and Watch Thread

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Haha. I feel your pain though, Marth is very hard to deal with.

I'm still figuring that out. 3-7 right now, lol.

ZaXXoR

Smash Journeyman
The beginning of a match starts him off with 1 as the most recent and 2 as the one before that, so you can't get a 1 or 2 on 1st use, and can't get a 1 or the number of the 1st hammer use on the 2nd use.
I will deff have to confirm this, i played alot of Gdubbs in melee at first, then realise he wasn't too good, i was playing PM 2.5 for the first time yesterday, LOVE the neqw judgement hammer moves, and 2 isn't THAT useless, if I'd have known it woulda p[ut my friend to sleep i deff would have reacted better.

Anyways what I wanted to get at was, I don't think the hammer works like melee in terms of not hitting a 1/2 off your spawn.. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I got a 1 off spawn yesterday

YellaFeva

Smash Cadet
I will deff have to confirm this, i played alot of Gdubbs in melee at first, then realise he wasn't too good, i was playing PM 2.5 for the first time yesterday, LOVE the neqw judgement hammer moves, and 2 isn't THAT useless, if I'd have known it woulda p[ut my friend to sleep i deff would have reacted better.

Anyways what I wanted to get at was, I don't think the hammer works like melee in terms of not hitting a 1/2 off your spawn.. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I got a 1 off spawn yesterday
I tested 50+ hammers i.e starting match hammering twice then quitting, Repeat. I got at three 2's at the start, but never got a 1.

:phone:

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
He's still way to light. I feel that his weight is one of his biggest problems. Anyway, any practical uses when to use judgement outside of friendlies? I kind of just throw it out there and hope it lands most of the time, and it usually yields good results, but I don't think that would be very effective in real matches or against people who know how to get around it.

Also, not used to using bacon effectively. Practical uses?

lol. I did a pseudo-Ken combo with GW. Fair, SHFFL, Fair, l-cancel on platform, side-b 8 (it spikes). I say pseudo cause I'm pretty sure my opponent could have air dodged before judgement hit, but I'm not sure.

YellaFeva

Smash Cadet
He's still way to light. I feel that his weight is one of his biggest problems. Anyway, any practical uses when to use judgement outside of friendlies? I kind of just throw it out there and hope it lands most of the time, and it usually yields good results, but I don't think that would be very effective in real matches or against people who know how to get around it.

lol. I did a pseudo-Ken combo with GW. Fair, SHFFL, Fair, l-cancel on platform, side-b 8 (it spikes). I say pseudo cause I'm pretty sure my opponent could have air dodged before judgement hit, but I'm not sure.
Upthrow -> try to read their DI and jump -> Judgement. Or Dthrow -> Techchase or Jab Reset -> Judgement. It's mostly luck of the draw obviously but 50% of the time you should get good results. I've used Judgement many times in tournament play and it has only failed me a few times in clutch situations.

SH bacon is great at stopping momentum and stunning the opponent for a grab or aerial punish. Sometimes I land this move: I short hop toward the opponent and bacon at the same time -> Dtilt the opponent into the bacon stopping the momentum -> and then hop Fair. There are some creative uses such as this.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
judgement hasn't failed me in tournament yet

i've won matches by getting uthrow > 9 on the last stock

it's the best feeling

a couple weeks ago i was doing an around the world match with a friend for someone's hat (they had left it at another tournament and couldn't pick it up) and when I got to G&W i took like 7 stocks because of judgement hammer

YellaFeva

Smash Cadet
judgement hasn't failed me in tournament yet

i've won matches by getting uthrow > 9 on the last stock

it's the best feeling
So true.... I was playing a friendly match against a Falco during a smashfest and it was down to 1 stock each high %. I got knocked high off stage to the left corner and was recovering. He came at me to Dair me and I threw out a hammer and got an 8 spiking him down for the kill and lots of hype lol.

Mowg

Smash Cadet
Up-Special

Hi I'm Mowg.
First Smashforums post, ok, here goes.
What is the reason that G&W's Up-Special lost it's, I don't what I should call it specifically, the floating-parachute properties that was so useful and unique in Brawl? That and the N-air>Bucket recovery made him pretty dang secure while recovering. He's my primary counter-pick to MetaKnight in Brawl.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
Hi Mowg, welcome to smashboards.

G&W's Up-B was changed in order to intentionally weaken his recovery. You'll notice that many other characters who had amazing recoveries in Brawl (like Pit and ROB) also received this treatment. One of the idea's behind the Project M mod is to reward players for knocking their opponent off. This doesn't mean you automatically die, obviously, but when you are recovering it requires a lot more thought to successfully navigate back than in Brawl.

Luckily, they weren't entirely unmerciful, so you may notice that G&W's Up-B now actually goes significantly higher than it did in Brawl. Just a little tweak to give G&W a fighting chance when your opponent is chasing you off stage.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
you will also notice that the nair > bucket momentum cancel is no longer in existence in PM. u may have already known this, but u cant attack out of hitstun anymore, and thats why it wont work.

are u completely knew to PM as well or have u been playing it longer than uve been on smashboards?

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
Whenever both players are in a neutral position (no is approaching) or , that's when I throw out a decent wall of bacon. It's an interesting form of pressure that creates a window of opportunity.

One thing I love about G&W is no matter how far behind you are, you can always get lucky by 9'ing them! I'd love to see a tournament won that way.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I'm not sure how many times you've gotten people onto a platform, but a pretty safe way to harass people on them is to drop a SH bacon or SHDB on it to catch them and then try to do stuff from that. I would say start your bacon from one edge of a platform (something like a BF, FoD, YS platform, of course).

Neutral is also good. Use when you're controlling the edgeguarding situation and trying to catch a ledge jump or something as well. It loses to invincible getups and some ledgedashes, but you might be able to start it far enough away to negate it. Make sure you land cancel it. Every time.

Brikmaethor

Smash Cadet
The pan hit is also one of the funnest ways to edge guard. The base knockback is on the higher side (perhaps it's set? I'm not certain), so it can make for some early stock taking.

Cook 'em up and serve 'em hot.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Well, I got 7th at a 25-man local tournament yesterday.

I lost to both sides of 5th place. First was Zinoto with Mario and then in losers I lost to Beegs' Marth. Both sets were 1-2 and I played Watch in 1 game of each set. Other than that, I mostly played Game and Watch. Lost high stock, high percent to Beegs' Marth as Watch in Game 3 of the set. I missed a Parachute that would have won me the set.

Abu tried to CP me with Marth on YS... so I picked Link and managed to eek out a win. Won GnW vs Fox handily Game 1.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Well, I got 7th at a 25-man local tournament yesterday.

I lost to both sides of 5th place. First was Zinoto with Mario and then in losers I lost to Beegs' Marth. Both sets were 1-2 and I played Watch in 1 game of each set. Other than that, I mostly played Game and Watch. Lost high stock, high percent to Beegs' Marth as Watch in Game 3 of the set. I missed a Parachute that would have won me the set.

Abu tried to CP me with Marth on YS... so I picked Link and managed to eek out a win. Won GnW vs Fox handily Game 1.
I saw your placing as I was stalking for tournament results, nice job repping G&W.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
As someone who played P:M's G&W for the first time yesterday, thank you. His Short Hop Double Bacon is absolutely godlike. I was able to spam out almost anybody and whenever it hit get an instant D-tilt F-air off. He feels a lot like in Melee except he -finally- has a shield. This is how I wanted him to be in Melee.
Only problem is definitely Falco, he is absolutely disgusting because his projectiles have longer range than mine and stun :| Falco just absolutely wrecks G&W still.

SHDB all day though

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Yeah, bacon has a surprisingly small amount of holding stun on hit. Sometimes it's good to help confirm some of your better hitboxes though (fair, nair, fsmash, etc, etc). The first time you hit your SHDB DACUS puts hair on your chest, too.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
That depends on how you are trying to use it. Bair isn't free money, but it is a solid move. It has the range, a landing hitbox that sets up well, and it's fast when L-Canceled. It is not G&W's go to move and there's no one right way to incorporate it into your game, but it shouldn't be hard for you to find a few places for it.

Oracle

Smash Master
how do i dacus with g&w? I can do it with almost every other character with a dacus. My normal method is cstick down then up+z

dettadeus

Smash Lord
You can either Claw to do Cstick Down > Up + A or set another button to attack. I've always had difficulty using Z for G&W, so I generally claw for a second if I have to DACUS.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
That depends on how you are trying to use it. Bair isn't free money, but it is a solid move. It has the range, a landing hitbox that sets up well, and it's fast when L-Canceled. It is not G&W's go to move and there's no one right way to incorporate it into your game, but it shouldn't be hard for you to find a few places for it.
I always feel like a get punished for throwing out bair, even on hit, l-cancel or not. I kind of wished he had a quick bair with not too much endlag. *sigh*

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
just use fair.

and hit, of course.

now, for an honest, practical answer darkmetroid has you covered. Bair is not a walling move, this isn't Brawl's GnW bair (people figured out that too), but it's a solid tool that can get you into and out of certain situations with different parts of it hitting. Again, to reiterate DM, you don't get it for free.

I mean, you're playing GnW. You don't really get much for free.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
From what you described, you are trying to use the turtle just like it was a single-hit, high knockback attack. You are going to have to completely rethink the way you use the move. Contrary to what you are used to, bair is most rewarding LATE and AWAY. You should be trying to bite them with the turtle, not kick them. If you hit the opponent in the air you should be trying to get in as many hits as possible (don't just fast fall through the opponent). If you catch them near the ground try to fast fall so you get the landing hit.

Every character could find a use for a strong, single-hit bair or a sex kick nair, but that would be one boring game if everyone was just yring to space out the same moves.

Top Bottom