• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UndrWorld - A Pit Demonstration Video *New Format and UndrWorld Part 4 Released!*

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
UndrWorld

New Format

UndrWorld Part 1
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cVdPJkrA6c

Touched on in the video...

Basic Moveset
Gliding
Glide Canceling
Wave Gliding
Advanced Recovery
Footstool Jumping
Glide Momentum (Hyrule Temple Glide)
Glide Shifting
Powershield Dashing
Pivot Grabbing
Arrow Guiding
Arrow Looping
Arrow Blitzing

UndrWorld 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6mXl4djbps

Included in this installment...

SlideStepping
Playing on the Edge
More Powershielding
Reflecting Melee Attacks
Wing Renewal
Wing Fatigue
Wing Lunging
Wing Shoving

UndrWorld 3 -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uBmPZG-bbk

Added in this installment...

Wing Refreshing
Wing Pivoting
WoIZC (Wings of Icarus Z Cancel)
*SHFairWoI (Short Hop Forward Air Wings of Icarus)
Arrow Chasing
Arrow Swarming
Wing Canceling
Platform Wing Canceling

*SHFairWoI can be followed up with either WPBair (Wing Pivot Back Air), Wing Lunge or even into a WoIZC.

UndrWorld 4
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8vUpkV2mak

Added in this installment...

WingDashing
Dash Pivot Cancel
Glide Tossing
Super SlideStepping

lmnz

Smash Apprentice
oh i like that dropping up+b. definitely adding that to up+b mix ups. nice video.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I'm convinced that I want a Pit Sig more than a Bowser Sig (sorry Bowser). Pit just has so many amazing tricks that could be useful for any situation. Arrow Blitzing, Pivot Grabbing, and Powershield Dashing were the new tricks that I just learned after watching the video.

This is worthy of a Sticky if you ask me. All these advanced techniques that Pit has are simply amazing.
I can already think of some mindgames with some of those tricks. All thanks to you UndrDog. You have my fleet's services. :)

solesoul

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, this is a great demonstration of all of the known techniques done so far. Puts them in one place so any Pit newbies can find them nice and easy. Good work.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Pivot grabbing, Powershield Dashing and Arrow Blitzing is harder to perform than I thought. You dont mind giving instructions on how to perform these tricks (and the other Adv. tricks for the others)? I'd really appreciate it.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
LOL I completely forgot. I'll credit you in the description. I was going to in the video but decided I had no idea how. ^_^

As for Powershield Dashing it's pretty much a Fox-Trot with a Powershield at the end. Out of your shield you can do any attack. Add in the fact that the Powershield animation is much faster then the skidding animation and you can pretty much dash into any attack. Also if you time it with your opponent's attack you can block their attack and attack back before they're done their animation. Meaning if done right it completely outclasses Marth and Ike's counter attacks. Sort of how Powershielding was a better alternative to reflecting projectiles in Melee then the unique reflector attacks.

I can't stress this enough. The key point in all Smash games is speed. You want to be as fast as you can make your character. This in mind Powershielding and by proxy Powershield Dashing will be key. Most people only go on the offensive or the defensive. In other words if their not attacking they are usually their shield or trying to distance their selves. However if you can learn to read your opponents moves you can effectively incorporate your defense into your attacks. While this might sound new, if you think about it it's the only true way to balance out your game. This could be done in Melee, but due to the lightshield not many people picked up on it. It wasn't until very late in Melee's run that I learned to Powershield melee attacks consistently. As Peach I was able to Powrshield Fox's reflector directly into a Whorenado... The fact that Fox was holding down ensured a great deal of damage dealt.

I was going to add RAPping but decided not to. I really didn't want people to think that was a good idea with Pit. At least not for people just starting off. Pivot Grabbing was only introduced because it can be useful in situational moments while something like RAPping is always intentional.

Pivot Grabbing involves hitting the grab button while also adding directional input in the direction you're facing away from. In other words, if you're facing to the left you'd hit right on the joy-stick whilst pressing the grab button. You're turn on your heel and grab in the direction you're facing away from. This is particularly good with characters that have long grab ranges. Lucas, Link and Toon Link fit this bill. King Dedede is a little slow to fully take advantage of this even though his grab range is deceptively long reaching. Samus is also very good, but g'luck trying to get a Samus player to buy into it. When Pivot Grabbing you always do a standing grab. Even if you were running beforehand. As for Samus her standing grab has insane lag, while he dashing grab does not.

Arigon was the first to introduce Arrow Rain (or as I've come to call it Arrow Blitzing) to SWF. If my computer wasn't running so slowly I'd link you to the thread. (Actually I think it's SWF that's running slowly, lol.) Arrow Blitzing is very ineffective in competitive matches for two reasons. Number one stages large enough to actually do it are probably banned. And number two would be that it takes a long time to do. The idea is you shoot several arrows in the air. I suggest only three seeing as a lot of people have issues with doing more then that. Then when you shoot the fourth arrow up loop it back down to the ground bringing it 180 degrees. This will in turn effect the rest of your arrows that were shot and they too will return to the stage.

Anyway I will update this as more things are found. It will probably always remain as a simple demonstration of what Pit can do. Nothing fancy.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well I just figured out how to use the arrow blitz, though I suck at aiming. I'll try Pivot grabbing next, then Poweshield Dashing. I'll give you an update on my progress soon, and thanks for the info.

solesoul

Smash Apprentice
Am the only one that doesn't find pivot grabbing usefull for Pit? Because when I attempt to do it with anyone else, it works just fine. Just not Pit

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Finally learned Pivot grabbing. Powershield dash is the only problem because idk when to press the shield button. Pit is still amazing, nonetheless. And you got nice gameplay ive been watching.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
As for Pivot Grabbing I sort of hit up on that.

Pivot Grabbing was only introduced because it can be useful in situational moments while something like RAPping is always intentional.
Pivot Grabbing is only useful if you mess up or you're improvising during an awkward situation. You may never use it but it doesn't hurt to learn how to do it. Something like RAPping (Reverse Aerial Positioning) on the other hand is almost always a premeditated attack and therefore hard to use for improvisation. And seeing as leading into an attack with Pit's Bair is rather stupid I'd rather avoid putting it into the minds of those who are just picking up Pit.

I'm glad to here you're progressing rather quickly Admiral. I'd like to mention that Powershield Dashing is more difficult with Pit then with most other characters. When I play Wolf it comes as second nature to his character.

Try this as a practice excersize. Stand in place and hit the shield as fast as you can. See how quickly you can get you shield on and off and how many times you can do this within ten seconds. Once you get it to the point where you don't think you can improve on it much more go onto this next step.

Run across the screen and without stopping put your shield on. You should stop amidst your run and put your shield on. Try doing this at different intervals. Once you get this down pat, try initiating the shield as soon as your dash animation is complete. This is the earliest you can initiate it.

After you get the timing down start studying film. This may be difficult given YouTube and other online resources have pretty crappy quality but you may not have much choice. Start learning the animation of the other character's attacks. Let's say you play against a Marth as your primary means of practice. Start to study his attack animations and learn to read what attack he's coming at you with and how long it takes to produce a hitbox. This is really tricky but it won't take long before you will be able to Powershield your opponent's attacks.

If you want to see the result of Powershielding check out some of my matches. I've learned Samus' attacks well enough to Powershield most of her moves. (Though her Zair still give me a lot of issues.) Powershielding will allow you to block your opponent's attack while not lagging you at all. Leaving your opponent open for whatever attack you wish to preform.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Some characters have unique attacks when you press Z while in the air. In Samus' case she shoots her grapple beam out as sort of a tethered projectile. It can become very annoying and it's hard to read when trying to Powershield. You'll see it if you watch any one of my matches. I even cry about it in some of the commentated matches.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Great update! The ledge hop demonstration will be very useful for newcomers. It's always been a technique that separated beginners from advanced. Glad to see the side-B landing included. I'm also glad that you didn't include ledge hop arrows, if their close you should be using F-air, if they're far away you might as well be on the stage.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
I discovered something while playing the other day and i'll try to explain it so you can add it. It's extemely helpful in edgeguarding as pit.

Okay so first while you are on the ground jump and then immediately go into your up b. Now if you do it right you should be flying right at ground level (much similar to peaches float canceling height). But thats not the tactic I found out. So while in this mode. You can fly off the edge and you have great mobility and speed. You can attack or get hit or anything BUT YOU GET ALL JUMPS BACK even your UP B returns. I can upload some gameplay videos so you can see what i mean. Not only can you reach your opponent anywhere off the ledge, but you have all 3 jumps to do a followthrough with any attack and make it back to the ledge.

The only thing i dont recomend is up b after just leaving the other up b. Diminishing recovery will kill you lol

Edit: Oh and please give me credit for it ^_^

kupo15

Smash Hero
OMG! That is incredible! Great find! I am very excited to use this, Wow. You should create a new thread for that!

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Do you realize what you just found?! This is exactly the same as Bowser's and Kirby's infinite jump. As long as you touch the ground during the up-B, you're able to fly and keep your jumps.

I've been able to Up-B five times in a row with this.

Note: I'm excited because it's neat. It's not too practical at the moment.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I'll add it into 1.3... lol And I'll credit ya Sage. ^_^

Sage would you like to name it?

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
People will get angry and/or confused if the technique is named after something/someone. When choosing the name, it should be something practical, and makes sense.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Yea, call it like "Pits infinite jump!" It can't universal because only Pit can do it. The only thing is making sure you attack before time is up or else you fall to your doom!

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I believe it's simply a matter of landing. You can experiment with this by either preforming this new found technique or grabbing the edge of a stage, flying under it, grabbing the other edge and promptly letting go to repeat.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I was trying to find how this is applicable but I can't at the moment for two reasons

1. It takes too long to begin to rise from the ground
2. With the inconsistent time you are in the air from being tired, I am fearful on falling to my doom.

I hope someone finds a way to incorporate this. :)

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Well you don't use it from the ground for starters. I think I should make a video of it right now to demonstrate it's uses.

The idea behind it is shorthopping into and Up-B and then grazing the ground with your toes. I'll make a video of it right now. lol

kupo15

Smash Hero
Oh yea, that is what I was doing and finding ways to combo with it. The only thing I can think of would be if you knocked your opponent off the other end of the stage and you want to quickly glide across the stage and edge hog him.
But normally if I knock someone on the other side of the stage, I usually run and jump spamming arrows.

Another possible application could be if you run and jump while spamming arrows and your opponent air dodges your arrows (very annoying, I love watching them connect) then as you are falling, Up B and glide quickly across the stage to edge guard them. After air dodging your arrows once or twice, they should be very close to the ledge. An alternate to grabbing the ledge would be to drop down with the wings and attack them since they are close to the ledge. You can still recover because of the glitch.

Just some ideas

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
UndrWorld 1.3 has been added to the first post due to some recent conversations that's been going on in here. Hopefully I can strew all of these videos together sometime soon.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Well you don't use it from the ground for starters.
For this application, most likely not but it has a good application. A combo I like to do is grab, throw down, up air. But after your opponent understands this, they will air dodge. So you can either wait a split sec before doing an up air or occasionally I like to Up B from the ground immediately after the throw. You can either try to connect with an attack or most likely what will happen is they will try to get to the ground. They are somewhat screwed because you will be above them coming down with an aerial while they are recovering from the lag after hitting the ground.

It is a good way to mix things up and it has worked for me several times.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I admit that it's a slight mindgame to use the Up-B in tandem with other moves but I honestly find jumping to be just as fast and much safer.

I just wanted to go over the terminology for UndrWorld 1.3 real quick.

Wing Renewal (Official Name Pending)
~An official name needs to be come up with by sagemoon. ^_^ It's been the object of conversation so if you don't know check out the previous page for details. (found by sagemoon)

Wing Fatigue
~Is where Wings of Icarus get weaker from constant use.

Wing Lunging
~This is where you use your Fair from your Wings of Icarus. You lunge forward quite a bit and is something to note before you take your Pit to a tourney.

Wing Shoving
~This actually has it's uses. I've developed my timing in hopes to one day beat Samus to her Screw Attack with an Up-B of my own. This can actually get people off your back and as demonstrated in this video can knock them off the edge quite easily.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Wing Fatigue is false, at least in regards to the infinite jump. Input my Brawl code, and I'll send you a replay of me doing it about 10 times. The key is to do a midair jump before touching the ground to cancel your downward momentum before using the Up-B.

EDIT: just tested, Wing Fatigue doesn't exist in any form. The reason the Up-B doesn't last as long sometimes depends on if you're using it to recover from downward momentum or not.

I'd like to see a match application of the Wing Shove if possible. I tried finding a use for it forever before, and couldn't come up with something. I don't mean to sound skeptical of you, I'd love for it to be useful.

Using the Up-B to push them off the edge is useless as far as I can tell. They grab the ledge, and you're sent into the air where you can do nothing to stop them from getting back up.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Against Samus it's pretty useful because it activates faster then her Up-B and pushes her away. If you've played a Samus that spams the Up-B you'd've probably found an application for it. Of course this is completely situational as I'm sure anyone could tell. I just wanted to add a few things in while I was screwing around with Wings of Icarus.

And I should've explained that better, Wing Fatigue is always occurring, however it's only devastating when Pit needs to lift himself with his wings. The more you use Wings of Icarus to rise the quicker his wings become tired. However I wasn't aware that a mid-air jump would release so much of his tension.

Perhaps I should take the temporary name of "Wing Refreshing" from sagemoon's deally and use it to describe your discovery Rhy. Canceling downward momentum before preforming Wings of Icarus would easily reduce the stress on Pit's wings.

All of this just adds a new appreciation for the game. Such detail into something so isolated.

EDIT: I changed "Wing Refreshing" to "Wing Renewal" because what Rhy just posted seems to fit the term "Wing Refreshing" much better. Of course this is subject to change at his whim.

The only reason I feel the need to create official names is so that I have a universal term to use in my demonstration videos. Otherwise it really wouldn't matter to me. lol

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Ah, I guess I was confused by what you meant. When I looked at your video, I thought Wing Fatigue was referring to the part where it looked like you could only do the infinite jump twice. At first I was doing the same thing, and couldn't figure out how to do it more then twice.

I have no attachment to the mechanic, you can call it what ever you want. Either Refreshing or Renewal work very well.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Hey UndrDog,

Great Vids here! They could use some music, or at least some sound effects, but they are effective nonetheless. Two things I would like to ask for some clarification on:

1) In the Vid, it seems that often times after you hit up B, that you move up REALLY quickly, almost as if you jumped after initiating the Wings of Icarus, almost like Lucas' PK fire jump animation (namely at about 0:44 and 0:57) Are you doing something special there?...or do I just need to go into practice mode and work out the kinks?

...also on that note, how are you getting such good horizontal speed right after initiating the wings (shown in your example of Wing Refreshing [I like refreshing better for a name])

2)Arrow Blitzing - I just cant seem to do it. I can get the looping, but how do you get the multiple arrows to fall? I shoot them Up and Up and Up and Up and Up ...then control the last arrow, but the others never seem to rain down as I have seen in vids. Can I get a VERY precise, directional input requirements for the Blitzing?

Thanks!

(Also if I might suggest, including a Reverse Aerial rush in one of your videos would be a good idea. As Pit's BAir is one of his best killing moves, I think it's a vital part of his moveset.)

Top Bottom