• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Project (Finally Finished!???)

Which title should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Krookodilian

Smash Ace
Pay day, for one.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Debatably the other characters actually have plenty of source material to go off of, even at face value. Ice Climbers has a duo mechanic, Duck Hunt represents every light gun game which makes for an easy zoner, R.O.B., while entirely original still can do Thruster and Laser attacks, Mr. G&W has tons of G&W mini games to pull from, and there are so many different species of Piranha Plant. Meowth couldn't really be invented from scratch like those characters could. His moveset is almost entirely claw attacks, bites and pay day. Unless we dive into TM territory which is pretty murky waters at that point imo.

There's also the problem of his anime appearance not being from the games. while we haven't decided on how we would be portrayed, having him talk would be jumping the shark for me, as thats exclusive to the anime. and a non talking meowth, is just.... a meowth. Which is about as interesting as most normal type pokemon. (not very)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
  1. Scizor
  2. Flygon
  3. Chandelure
More than anything I just want someone unexpected, someone who doesn't get much attention. There's a lot of options to choose from, and this could give us a great chance for a fun and unique curveball. Yeah, the Pokemon I've listed are decently popular, but when it comes to Smash it's mostly a mix of Eevee, Meowth, and a Gen 8 Pokemon (Usually a starter or Toxicitry).

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Question to Meowth voters: what would he do? It has no special abilities, it's just a cat on two legs. What would make it unique enough to make it worth consuming a slot? If it was a transformation character between the regional variants I'd get it, but just a plain Kanto meowth?
I picture something like Felicia from Darkstalkers or Catwoman from Injutsice. A really fast, combo heavy character that focuses on kicking and scratching. That alone is enough to come up with a good set of normals. Then some of his most iconic moves, like Payday and Dig could make for interesting specials. And if you want to get weird, you could throw in Shadow Ball, Iron Tail, Thunderbolt, U-Turn and all of the other weird moves that he can learn for some reason.

Then he just has tons of taunt, idol animation, and victory screen potential as the anime has really fleshed him out as a character. Considering Cloud and Sephiroth take influence from Advent Children, I think that it’s reasonable for Smash to have more anime influence. The anime is a huge part of the Pokémon series, and having a character that really embodies the anime makes sense to me.

I think people just see how Meowth is a normal type from Gen 1 and automatically lose interest, even though he could still play unlike anyone else in Smash. Then you have folks who don’t want the anime represented in Smash, which sort of makes sense. The anime isn’t a game and Smash is supposed to be a celebration of gaming. Still, the anime is such an important part of Pokémon and has very little acknowledgement in Smash. With how much attention Advent Children has gotten, it’s kind of weird that the anime hasn’t gotten that same love.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I picture something like Felicia from Darkstalkers or Catwoman from Injutsice. A really fast, combo heavy character that focuses on kicking and scratching. That alone is enough to come up with a good set of normals. Then some of his most iconic moves, like Payday and Dig could make for interesting specials. And if you want to get weird, you could throw in Shadow Ball, Iron Tail, Thunderbolt, U-Turn and all of the other weird moves that he can learn for some reason.

Then he just has tons of taunt, idol animation, and victory screen potential as the anime has really fleshed him out as a character. Considering Cloud and Sephiroth take influence from Advent Children, I think that it’s reasonable for Smash to have more anime influence. The anime is a huge part of the Pokémon series, and having a character that really embodies the anime makes sense to me.

I think people just see how Meowth is a normal type from Gen 1 and automatically lose interest, even though he could still play unlike anyone else in Smash. Then you have folks who don’t want the anime represented in Smash, which sort of makes sense. The anime isn’t a game and Smash is supposed to be a celebration of gaming. Still, the anime is such an important part of Pokémon and has very little acknowledgement in Smash. With how much attention Advent Children has gotten, it’s kind of weird that the anime hasn’t gotten that same love.
I really wanna include Team Rocket in Meowth's taunts and victory animations if it wins. Alolan Meowth also makes for a solid echo too.

Yiptap

Smash Lord
Debatably the other characters actually have plenty of source material to go off of, even at face value. Ice Climbers has a duo mechanic, Duck Hunt represents every light gun game which makes for an easy zoner, R.O.B., while entirely original still can do Thruster and Laser attacks, Mr. G&W has tons of G&W mini games to pull from, and there are so many different species of Piranha Plant. Meowth couldn't really be invented from scratch like those characters could. His moveset is almost entirely claw attacks, bites and pay day. Unless we dive into TM territory which is pretty murky waters at that point imo.

There's also the problem of his anime appearance not being from the games. while we haven't decided on how we would be portrayed, having him talk would be jumping the shark for me, as thats exclusive to the anime. and a non talking meowth, is just.... a meowth. Which is about as interesting as most normal type pokemon. (not very)
To be honest, Jigglypuff has only two notable abilities (Sing and Puffing up) so I think Meowth is on the same boat here. As for having Meowth talk, there is literally a costume for Cloud where it is the movie version of Final Fantasy. I think that's just as bad as referencing the official anime. Also, didn't they reference the anime intro for Pokémon Trainer's Boxing Ring title?

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to vote.
1. Mimikyu (Pikachu Supremacy)
2. Meowth (Only if he says "blasting off again" for his star K.O.)
3. Grovyle (PMD CONTENT LET'S GOOOO)

Last edited:

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
1. Meowth
2. Seperior
3. Zoroark

I really want a gen 5 pokemon, and I also really want anyone (literally anyone) besides Mimikyu (which is why I gave my first votes to Meowth, to get him above Mimikyu)

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
1. Grovyle and Shiny Celebi. I think a PMD character would add some nice variation to the current list of playable Pokemon.
2. Seperior. An oddball of a choice considering the all-star lineup of newcomers we've been having, which I think would make this inclusion stand out that much more. Also I like grass types quite a bit, if my first vote didn't give that away.
3. Meowth. Don't really need to explain this one-see my submission for all the reasons why I voted for him.

I love Eevee and she's one of my favorites, but I cannot imagine how she would work in Smash for the life of me. Maybe have her switch between the Eeveelutions? If so, then A) that's not how evolutions work and B) how would someone switch between 8 characters and have it feel natural, even if they're just semiclones of each other? If we just go for base Eevee, that would be really boring IMO.
Lyanroc is a really cute dog and I almost put him in my top 1, but having a second Gen 7 rep would just feel...weird, I guess? I can't really describe it. I just don't think choosing Gen 7 above all the others is the way to go, even if Lyanroc a fantastic pupper.
I also really wanted Trubbish, Gardevoir, and Zoroark, but I ran out of votes.
Also, you may have noticed that I didn't vote for any Gen 8 Pokemon even though I like quite a few of them. The reason? By the time Infinite is announced, Gen 9 will have come and gone, along with the Gen 4 remakes and Legends. Including a Gen 8 rep but not a Gen 9 rep would feel very weird. And given that Gen 9 does not exist yet, we can't include a Pokemon from it. Also, Gen 8 was really controversial and there are much more well recieved titles to pick a rep from.

Otoad64

Smash Lord

Lucario can talk and he only did that in a movie and Lucario talking isn't even an iconic ability like Meowth talking is.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
1. Grovyle and Shiny Celebi
2. Meowth (I’ve always wanted Meowth above Jiggs since the 64 days)
3. Zacian and Zamenta

I changed my votes as, while I’m very unfamiliar with Mystery Dungeon, I did some research and found the pair quite interesting. I’m not one to change votes and generally dislike the practice. I found a pair idea pretty interesting and also helps us rep the Gen 2 and 3 all at once. I’m still a strong supporter of including Pokemon that comes from a Gen that has yet to appear in Smash and generally look to Gen 8 for a character. I think from a moveset standpoint, they have the most interesting concept.

Last edited:

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
1. Grovyle (& Shiny Celebi!!) - Pokémon Mystery Dungeon is cool and I'd rather have a new subseries in rather than normal Pokémon #9
2. Scizor - cool Pokémon
3. Weavile - dumbass Pokémon, I love her

Paraster

Smash Lord
1. Serperior (A serpentine fighter would be SO unique and interesting. Also Serperior is just a generally great Pokemon that I'm very nostalgic for. Also Gen 5.)
2. Chandelure (Another Gen 5 Pokemon with a unique body type.)
3. Grovyle & Celebi (Representing a spinoff Pokemon would be unique and cool.)

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Meowth
Chandelure
Mimikyu

I mean how about Lucario being fully voiced? I think there's a way we could incorporate Rocket Meowth, as far as I know from watching the anime I rarely see a wild or tamed Meowth appearing on the same screen as Rocket Meowth other than their regional variation and their evolution, we could make Meowth less talkative like the anime and just have him spouting out words on some occasion like in his victory animation or Final Smash or make his personality based around Rocket Meowth minus the talking.

Last edited:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
1) Grovyle + Celebi. (I love Mystery Dungeon and want to see it represented somehow.)
2) Mimikyu. (Was one of my most wanted picks in Smash Ultimate)
3)Chandelure. (One of my favorite Pokemon, from an awesome installment in the series, and has the ghost type which honestly is oozing of potential.)

:101::050::032::056::003::019::022::016::119: :135::149::092::077::134::062::012:
But for real, honorable mentions go to everything. Pokemon has soo many cool picks but we only focus on the latest generation.

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
You know I'm thinking maybe we should place a rule on switching votes. I'll admit I've done it now because I didn't even process that Grovyle existed for a hot second but I can see how even with that, the person who submitted Serperior might be disheartened, idk. Also if a submission is losing, people might be more prone to want to swap votes to characters that have chances of winning.

Additionally, I think if votes were completely anonymous then it would minimize people trying to "sabotage" other submissions ala voting idk Scrimblo Bimblo or someone because he's neck and neck with Popular McJRPGGuy and you really don't want McJRPGGuy to win but you also don't really care for Scrimblo Bimblo either. But then there'd need to be some trust with the mod team.

Like how would we know Venus wouldn't be rigging the polls to get Scrimblo Bimblo to win (jkjkjk XD). I thought I'd bring this to attention because we've had 3 votes changed so far, your thoughts people?

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
You know I'm thinking maybe we should place a rule on switching votes. I'll admit I've done it now because I didn't even process that Grovyle existed for a hot second but I can see how even with that, the person who submitted Serperior might be disheartened, idk. Also if a submission is losing, people might be more prone to want to swap votes to characters that have chances of winning.

Additionally, I think if votes were completely anonymous then it would minimize people trying to "sabotage" other submissions ala voting idk Scrimblo Bimblo or someone because he's neck and neck with Popular McJRPGGuy and you really don't want McJRPGGuy to win but you also don't really care for Scrimblo Bimblo either. But then there'd need to be some trust with the mod team.

Like how would we know Venus wouldn't be rigging the polls to get Scrimblo Bimblo to win (jkjkjk XD). I thought I'd bring this to attention because we've had 3 votes changed so far, your thoughts people?
I wouldn't hate it. An idea I've had for the bigger submission prompts was to do it in stages. Like cut the bottom however many based on either number of points or placement and then have everyone revote for a winner. Feel like trimming up some of the fat so to speak before declaring a winner would help a lot with overall satisfaction, but also may make it so that nothing really surprising ever wins either and also drags things out. IDK, think theres positives and negatives to my idea

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I wouldn't hate it. An idea I've had for the bigger submission prompts was to do it in stages. Like cut the bottom however many based on either number of points or placement and then have everyone revote for a winner. Feel like trimming up some of the fat so to speak before declaring a winner would help a lot with overall satisfaction, but also may make it so that nothing really surprising ever wins either and also drags things out. IDK, think theres positives and negatives to my idea
Perhaps that could only be used for major fighters. I mean, characters are the big event of Smash Bros. I don't think anyone is gonna be crying if there wasn't a two-step verification process to ensure that Wall Chicken from Castlevania wins the healing item job but for characters, it might be a bigger deal.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I don't see the problem with either of those things. Sometimes when you vote you gotta choose between throwing away your vote or picking between options you dislike, that's just the reality of it. Any alternate system would still have ways to game it.

As for changing votes, I get that it might hurt to see people not vote for something you proposed or change their votes away from it, but it's just a forum game. We all ought to steel ourselves and realize that maybe sometimes people won't care about stuff we propose and that's fine.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
We appreciate the feedback concerning voting. Possible alternative and options are being considered to make voting fair and balanced.

Last edited:

Krookodilian

Smash Ace
Pokémon Newcomer Results:
Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 8.54.55 AM.png
Inteleon @chocolatejr9 5
Trubbish Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario 3
Regigigas PeridotGX PeridotGX 3
Gardevoir @Glubbfubb 5
Sceptile Otoad64 Otoad64 3
Zacian & Zamazenta @cashregister9 3
Lugia BowserKing BowserKing 2
Cinderace @Perkilator 5
Scizor @Speed Weed 10
Zoroark CheeseAnton CheeseAnton 11
Serperior ahemtoday ahemtoday 12
Meowth Janx_uwu Janx_uwu 23!
Melmetal Adrianette Bromide Adrianette Bromide 1
Mimikyu evanwoo10 evanwoo10 25!!
Toxtricity Jomosensual Jomosensual 9
Grovyle & Shiny Celebi Krookodilian Krookodilian 28!!!
Lycanroc warpenguin55 warpenguin55 1
Decidueye airConditioner airConditioner 5
Appletun SharkLord SharkLord (Disqualified as he is a pokeball mon) Got 2 before being DQ'ed
Flygon SmasherMaster SmasherMaster 2
Kommo-o Mamboo07 Mamboo07 1
Weavile Mr. Robotto Mr. Robotto 4
Chandelure Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom 13
Eevee @Mushroomguy12 8

Fighter #92: Grovyle & Celebi Gear Up!
1619531553296.png
1619531563573.png

It was a tight race, but the time traveling grass type Duo of Grovyle and Celebi will be our next fighter included in Super Smash Bros. Infinite! This marks our first Pokémon Mystery Dungeon rep, third DS rep, and first duo fighter! I am very pleased with their inclusion, although Meowth and Mimikyu also performed quite well. Thank you to everyone who submitted, it truly is a tough decision to narrow a vote down to three pokémon when almost all would be so cool to see in Smash.

Job #96: Grovyle & Celebi Moveset

Our next job will be giving a moveset to Grovyle and Celebi. While Celebi must be in his moveset in some capacity, it is up to you to decide how unique her role is. She can be independent like Luma, or Grovyle and Celebi could fight as one like Duck Hunt Duo and Banjo-Kazooie. She can even only come out for certain moves. Grovyle must also reference mechanics from PMD whether it be as simple as simply using the items from PMD for his specials or as complex as a Belly Mechanic. Other than that, there are no limits for how their playstyle can be. So to summarize:
  • Celebi must be involved in the moveset (more than taunts and final smash)
  • the moveset must make it clear that this is Grovyle from the Mystery Dungeon universe, and not simply Grovyle from the Hoenn region.
Once we vote on his moveset, we will move onto their misc content, as well as a home stage, and other associated content, including pokeball pokemon. We will also be doing Pokémon Mystery Dungeon spirit submissions soon (not now though).​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom