• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Project (Finally Finished!???)

Which title should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
We will continue to allow submissions for Adventure Mode gameplay for another 12 or so hours.

Krookodilian

Smash Ace
Submit a Gameplay Synopsis for the Adventure Mode Voting

Like Subspace Emissary Gameplay is very similar to that of Subspace Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom
Like World of Light Gameplay is very similar to that of World of Light Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom
Zelda II Style cashregister9 cashregister9
Connected Map Glubbfubb Glubbfubb
Smash RPG SharkLord SharkLord

Thank you to everyone who submitted! Please vote for your top two gameplay styles. Ranked voting is in place, and you may not vote for your own.

Not only will we be starting the vote for the gameplay of our adventure mode, we will also be starting our next fighter submission period! Its one that I'm quite excited for...

Job #95: Submit a Pokémon Newcomer!

We plan on starting the April Smash Direct with a newcomer trailer. If you may have noticed, it’s been a long time since we did a job which included Pokeball Pokemon and there’s a reason for that. Our first newcomer to be revealed in this Direct will be a Pokemon Newcomer! Strangely enough, Pokemon was the newest franchise to be included in Smash back during the 64 days but its grow to be one of the most repped franchise in Smash. Not including a Pokémon rep feels like a huge break in tradition and, while we have forged our own path in Infinite, it feels fitting to continue tradition and include a Pokemon rep.

So which Pokemon are eligible? Any of them! We toyed around with the item of first voting on which Gen to include but we ultimately decided to go with the idea that any Pokemon from any Gen can be submitted. However keep in mind pokeball mons we have voted in already, such as Gengar and Sirfetch'd are ineligible; however, new pokemon spirits are eligible. We are also keeping this to just pokemon, meaning no trainer characters.

Additionally, we are drawing the line with including Pokemon that debuted in a spin-off series. This means Pokemon like Shadow Mewtwo, Shadow Lugia, Primal Diagla, Detective Pikachu, and similar characters won’t be eligible. However, Pokemon that have had a significant role in a spin-off series but stayed true to their main line appearance can be submitted. This includes Pokémon like Machamp (Pokken version), Grovyle & Shiny Celebi, and other similar characters. If you are unsure about whether your candidate qualifies ping Me, Robotto, Venus, or Ramen.

We are also limiting the submissions to game-only Pokemon so Pokemon who are unique to the anime and manga are barred. Meowth is sort of an exception as he appears much like he does in the game as in the anime but with the ability to talk. If he gets voted in, we can decide to make Meowth inspired by the game or the anime.

When submitting, please include the Pokemon name, it’s typing, what Gen and region it belonged to, a small description on how the Pokemon could play with some possible Moves that can be used as Special Moves, and followed by a statement why the Pokemon deserves to be included in Smash.

Have Fun!

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
New Pokemon: Inteleon
inteleon.jpg

Inteleon is a Water-type Pokemon introduced in Gen 8. It is the final evolution of Sobble, the Water-type Starter Pokemon of the Galar region. Inteleon has a spy motif in its design: as such, it would have many abilities that would involve said design choices, similar to Snake. Its signature move, Snipe Shot, can help take out enemies from a long distance away.

I believe would be the best choice for a Gen 8 Pokemon because it embodies an archetype that Smash hasn't fully tapped into yet: stealth and spies. This has the potential to give Inteleon a good sense of uniqueness compared to other characters on the roster, including other Pokemon.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Just reread, the trash is fine as spirit promotions are elegible.

Job 95
Trubbish
Gen 5 (Unova)

Trubbish is an unevolved poison type Pokemon. Trubbish is a somewhat infamous Pokemon but its fans are devoted and admire it greatly. It would serve as a rep for what may be the most popular generation of Pokemon and also serve as a funny "WTF?" pick in the veins of Jigglypuff beforehand. Unevolved Pokemon haven't seen much representation in Smash and poison types have seen naught. Many Pokemon fans have been tired of starters hogging the limelight in Smash so letting the trash take out its kin would be amazing for many. Trubbish could use a variety of grotesque attacks like acid spray, toxic spikes, sludge bomb, and belch, and has floppy arms that could lead well to some unusual, whip-like attacks. If we're to redo Wario's moveset (which I hope we don't) Trubbish could keep that gross out spirit alive. Regardless of if you like the trash or not, you can't deny it's well-known, elicits strong feelings, and will be remembered as long as Pokemon is - that's certainly a step up over a flavour of the month starter, ey?

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I'm gonna let another user handle my personal most wanted (not just my most wanted Pokemon, my most wanted.), I'll do a more obscure idea I think would be cool. I also considered doing Deoxys and Mr. Rime, but I think someone else might do that, and I think Rime is too niche to be a viable contender. Anyways...

Job 95: Regigigas (Pokemon)
1619366571069.png

Regigigas is the Colossal Pokemon, and is said to have towed the continents into their current shape. While most Pokemon are lucky to have one generation of relevance, Regigigas has three. There is, of course, it's debut gen of Gen VI, where it's an optional sidequest after you beat the game. It's influence can be seen one generation prior, where Regirock, Regice, and Registeel were introduced. In Generation VIII, the Crown Tundra DLC has a substantial side-quest themed around the Regis, even including two new ones (Regieleki and Regidrago). And I wouldn't be shocked if Regigigas does something in the upcoming Legends: Arceus.

Now, how would Regigigas play? To that, we turn to Slow Start, regigigas's signature ability. At the beggining of the match, it would be very sluggish and not very strong. As the match progresses, it gets much stronger and faster. It would be one of the heaviest, if not the heaviest, character in the game, so it would have survivability to make it possible to get to that point. It could also use the elements that it's creations are made of. I made a Regigigas moveset, I'll link it as a proof of concept. Also, if it gets in we get this absolute banger, which is a plus.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion

I Nominate the 9th most popular pokemon, the embrace pokemon herself Gardevoir

Gardevoir has been a popular mainstay since gen 3 and has been getting in major roles throughout the game, going as so far to be the aces of two famous trainers (Wally in GBA Ruby and Saphire and Diantha in gen 6) and for good reason as a combination of a amazing typing, great move pool, and elegant design has made her become a staple to the phycic and later introduced fairy type alongside mewtwo and mew

Gardevoir also has multible reps in fighitng games, in Pokken Tournament she was one of the orginal fighters and in smash she was a poke assist using her reflect move to protect the trainer from projectiles

Alongside that she was also a member of team charm and a major character in the early mystery dungeon games

So my this information it seems that she has the pedigree to be popular but their is also another reason to put her into smash, gen 3 has no smash rep

All other reps sans 8 has a pokemon rep but gen 3 should be focused on so that we can fill the first 7 gens, plus her good move pool of phycic fairy and even a few electric and fire attacks in tandem with the personality of a elegant bruiser can make gardevoir standout from the other phycic fighters

Also I also posted a thread post where a theoretical gardevoir moveset would work

It can be veiwed here

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Adventure Mode:
1. Like Subspace
2. Connected Map

Job 95: Sceptile

Sceptile is the grass type starter from Pokemon: Ruby and Sapphire. It is quite popular and would be the first Pokemon from the 3rd generation. It also has access to attacks that I think would work well in Smash such as Leaf Blade and Bullet Seed

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Voting for Smash RPG and Connected Map

Anyways Job 95

Lugia
1619368455823.png

Debuting in Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal, Lugia is one of the Legendary Pokémon that can be fought and caught. Lugia is also one of the most popular Pokémon of generation 2.

Lugia is chosen because it’s been 20 years since we had a Legendary Pokémon join the fight. In addition to this, Lugia has some unique attacks like Areoblast. I also picture Lugia using Extrasensory and Dragon Rush

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
New Pokemon: Inteleon
View attachment 312721
Inteleon is a Water-type Pokemon introduced in Gen 8. It is the final evolution of Sobble, the Water-type Starter Pokemon of the Galar region. Inteleon has a spy motif in its design: as such, it would have many abilities that would involve said design choices, similar to Snake. Its signature move, Snipe Shot, can help take out enemies from a long distance away.

I believe would be the best choice for a Gen 8 Pokemon because it embodies an archetype that Smash hasn't fully tapped into yet: stealth and spies. This has the potential to give Inteleon a good sense of uniqueness compared to other characters on the roster, including other Pokemon.
a quick and nimble stage 2 water starter? Haven't seen one of those before...:ultgreninja:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Job #95: Pokémon Newcomer
Cinderace (Sword & Shield)
Cinderace.png
The final evolution of Scorbunny, one of the three Starters from Sword & Shield. Its line is one of the more popular ones, with Cinderace in particular getting much love.

Its playstyle would revolve entirely around using its feet to attack, like a soccer player.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Pokémon Newcomer: Scizor
212.png

Listen man, I don't got any big writeups here or anything: I'll be direct when I say that Scizor is literally the coolest ************.

That's it - it's just a really ****ing cool Pokemon. And bug types are cool. And it has claws and **** and that'd be cool. Scizor is cool. End of story.

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Job #95: Zoroark (Dark Type, Generation 5)
1619369037137.png
Gen 5 is the most notable pokemon generation to not have a playable fighter for trying to take the series in a new direction, being the first to have a setting based outside of Japan, and being the last mainline game to not be 3D, as well as having a numbered sequel.

I picked Zoroark as we don't have a dark type yet, and I figured Zoroark would've been a perfect pick for being fairly popular and he could have a unique arsenal of attacks due to being the game's only dark type.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
a quick and nimble stage 2 water starter? Haven't seen one of those before...:ultgreninja:
First of all, this is Stage 3, not Stage 2.

Second of all, Greninja is a ninja, not a spy (it's literally in its name). There's a difference.

Third of all, I didn't think the unique Pokestar Studios Pokemon would qualify. Though admittedly, it would be pretty awkward to fight an actual giant woman...

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Man, there's so many Pokémon that it makes this hard to choose. Shout out to Eevee, Gardevoir, Regigigas, Chandelure, Hydreigon, and Wooloo; whom I can only hope other people submit.

Job #95
Serperior

Serperior
Serperior is a Grass-type Pokémon from Generation 5. It's one of the starter Pokémon, evolving from Snivy and Servine. It's actually the 6th most popular Unova Pokémon, and the highest starter Pokémon on the list. Its preevolution, Snivy, appears to be quite popular as well.

Serperior could actually bring quite a lot to the table.
  1. Along with Hoenn and Galar, Unova is one of the regions that doesn't have a fighter yet.
  2. Second, it would be our first serpentine character, taking full advantage of the diverse range in Pokémon body types.
  3. Third, it's another grass-elemental character, which we only have two of so far: Ivysaur, and the newly-added Isaac.
Gameplay-wise, Serperior would be both fast and heavy, but would also be the largest target out of any character in Smash due to its long tail. That same tail, however, could be its biggest asset - used for far-reaching tail attacks, constricting grabs, and maybe even carrying things around. Depending on how you make it, Serperior's moveset could be fairly standard with the tail just spicing up its animations, or quite unorthodox with the tail's positioning being key to its gameplay. Regardless, though, Serperior would also possess Grass-type attacks and a regal, haughty attitude.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
JOB 95: MEOWTH IS ELLIGIBLE LETSGOOOOOOOO

Meowth is a cat Pokemon who loves coins and is a normal type. He's very popular, has an Alolan, Galarian, AND Gigantamax form, and is a main character in the ever popular anime. He also makes consistent appearances in spinoffs.
Why Meowth? Well, for all the reasons I listed above! I honestly can't think of a single reason why he isn't yet in Smash.
But why not a Gen 8 Pokemon? Well, Gen 8 isn't good, first of all. Not sorry. Second and more importantly, Meowth is instantly more recognizable and beloved than any Gen 8 Pokemon and I'm willing to bet all of my money on that. (Except maybe Wooloo. But try to make a moveset for Wooloo. I'll wait). I understand that including a Gen 8 rep will make us lots of money because of the recent release of SWSH. But let's be honest, by the time Infinite releases, Gen 9 will have come and gone. So I'd rather not include a Pokemon that A) is old but not old enough to give people nostalgia, or B) doesn't yet exist. (Of course, we could include a Pokemon from the Gen IX thread, crafting a Smashboards Creates Thread Cinematic Universe...but I'm getting ahead of myself.)
But why not a Gen 4 rep, or some other gen that isn't yet in Smash? You argue a fair point, my friend. There's plenty of Gen 4 mons I want in Smash, among other generations that have not yet received a fighter. But in my opinion, Meowth just should have been a 64 newcomer in the first place, back when there weren't many generations to begin with. So I think he should have first dibs, personally.
We have too many Gen 1 Pokemon! Uh, yeah, cuz they're mostly all really cool and have absolute banger designs and personalities. Respect your elders, kids. Don't get me wrong, as a Sonic fan I totally understand your frustration with nostalgia pandering. But this is Meowth we're talking about. He's awesome, I don't care if it's nostalgia pandering.
But he's nothing moveset-wise without the anime! Even if we choose to base him off of the games alone, there's plenty to work with. Just check his Bulbapedia page.
We already have a cat Pokemon in Smash, Incineroar! Yeah, but Incineroar is not Meowth, therefore making him not as cool. I said so, therefore it is true.
In conclusion, Meowth is popular, profitable, full of personality, has plenty of moveset potential, and is very, very cool.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Adventure Mode Vote

1. Smash RPG
2. Connected Map

Now without further ado, let's get this show on the road. Here's a submission for a Pokemon introduced in one of the best selling Pokemon games that doesn't have a representative yet. Oh you thought I was talking about Sword & Shield? No-o-ohhh, you are sorely mistaken. I am talking about the one, the only, the incredible...

Job 95: Melmetal

bwwgrujnu4u11.png

Yes that that's right, it's the one and only Pokemon GO representative. Now I know that the rules stated Pokemon introduced in spin-offs are barred. However, Melmetal is a Pokemon that is very tied to the mainline series and let me explain why it deserves to be the Pokemon representative of this hypothetical Smash game!

Who is Melmetal?

Melmetal a Steel type Pokemon with the ability Iron Fist. It is officially designated as Pokemon #808. Its pre-evolution Meltan was first revealed through a teaser in Pokemon GO. It mysteriously started popping up around the overworld in Pokemon GO. Most people chalked it up to a weird graphical glitch and even called out Niantic on their own game breaking. However, upon further inspection, what appeared to be a strange Ditto recolour was revealed to be a fully fledged out Pokemon!

Eventually, Meltan was advertised as a Pokemon that would be obtainable in Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee, the dual remake versions of Pokemon Yellow. You would obtain Meltan in Pokemon GO by connecting with LGPE. You could then transfer your Melmetal to LGPE afterwards. However, if you managed to muster up 400 Meltan Candy to feed to Meltan, it would evolve into Melmetal which you could then transfer to LGPE to give yourself a hulking beast of a Pokemon!

Its existence is overall an oddity. LGPE are generally considered to be part of Generation 7 but the official contest poll lumps Meltan and Melmetal in with Galar under "Galar, etc..." giving credence to the idea that it perhaps might be a "Generationless" Pokemon. That's how I see but it's personally up to you however you want to label these fellas!

1889739b5abd113a9dc78e205fe73c21.png

What does Melmetal have for moveset potential?

It punches. It punches and punches and punches! Melmetal's ability is Iron Fist strengthens punching based moves which ties well into its Pokemon moveset well as it has a lot of powerful fist attacks. Its signature move is Double Iron Bash! It's a powerful physical Steel type move that hits twice with a 30% chance to flinch each hit. Could this be a powerful charging double hitting move or perhaps a spinning move like Donkey Kong's Spinning Kong.

Expect this molten hulk to use a lot of heavy hitting moves. It'd probably be slow and a heavyweight but could perhaps cling to walls because of its gooey properties but perhaps its weight would also drag it down.

It can use moves like Thunder Punch and Dynamic Punch as well to further delve into its arsenal of fist moves. Superpower is a generally vague move that can work for just about any type of attack in Smash. Steel Roller has the potential to be a powerful side special that curls it into a ball and gets rolling ahead!

For down special moves, Melmetal has a few passive moves to work with like Thunder Wave and Acid Armor. I could see a move like Body Press being a command grab activated with down special.

And its Final Smash could be its Gigantamax form to satisfy that little Galar itch that I suppose should have some appearance in Smash beyonds just spirits and Pokeballs.

pokemon_gmelmetal_2x.png

What content could Melmetal possibly come with?

Melmetal could bring with him content from the two games he's appeared primarily in, Pokemon GO and Pokemon LGPE of course! Let's go over some ideas shall we? (Note these are just suggestions, not part of the actual submission as this would have to come later.)

Stage: Pokemon GO

pokemon-go-weather.png

Can you really think of any better stage than this!? It'd be the overworld of Pokemon GO, how frickin' sweet is that? The stage could have PokeStops and that appear from time to time and attacking them would give you buffs! Several Pokemon could also appear in the overworld and on top of that, the weather conditions could be constantly changing. Like Smashville and Town & City, the stages could also have a day and night mode determinant on your own clock. Pokemon GO is one of the largest venues of the overall franchise and it has yet to be truly represented in Smash Bros.

The Spirits:

Here are just a few ideas for spirits that could potentially appear with Melmetal in the game.

Meltan, Professor Willow, Candela, Blanche and Spark.
1889739b5abd113a9dc78e205fe73c21.png
Professor_Willow_original.png
Team_Leader_Candela_original.png
Team_Leader_Blanche_original.png
Team_Leader_Spark_original.png

Music:

The music of course would come from Pokemon GO and Let's Go as well so here are some examples you can use for submissions if they were to open for Melmetal if you voted him in.

• Professor - Pokemon GO
  • Walking - Pokemon GO
  • Battle! Wild Pokemon (Pokemon GO) - Pokemon GO
  • Vs. Gym Leader (Pokemon GO) - Pokemon GO
  • Raid Battle - Pokemon GO
  • Theme of Jessie and James - Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu! / Let's Go Eevee!
  • Battle! Champion - Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu! / Let's Go Eevee!
  • Battle! Master Trainer - Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu! / Let's Go Eevee!

Why do I want Melmetal?

Because he's a giant mass of molten gunk with nuts for brains!

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
JOB 95: MEOWTH IS ELLIGIBLE LETSGOOOOOOOO

Meowth is a cat Pokemon who loves coins and is a normal type. He's very popular, has an Alolan, Galarian, AND Gigantamax form, and is a main character in the ever popular anime. He also makes consistent appearances in spinoffs.
Why Meowth? Well, for all the reasons I listed above! I honestly can't think of a single reason why he isn't yet in Smash.
But why not a Gen 8 Pokemon? Well, Gen 8 isn't good, first of all. Not sorry. Second and more importantly, Meowth is instantly more recognizable and beloved than any Gen 8 Pokemon and I'm willing to bet all of my money on that. (Except maybe Wooloo. But try to make a moveset for Wooloo. I'll wait). I understand that including a Gen 8 rep will make us lots of money because of the recent release of SWSH. But let's be honest, by the time Infinite releases, Gen 9 will have come and gone. So I'd rather not include a Pokemon that A) is old but not old enough to give people nostalgia, or B) doesn't yet exist. (Of course, we could include a Pokemon from the Gen IX thread, crafting a Smashboards Creates Thread Cinematic Universe...but I'm getting ahead of myself.)
But why not a Gen 4 rep, or some other gen that isn't yet in Smash? You argue a fair point, my friend. There's plenty of Gen 4 mons I want in Smash, among other generations that have not yet received a fighter. But in my opinion, Meowth just should have been a 64 newcomer in the first place, back when there weren't many generations to begin with. So I think he should have first dibs, personally.
We have too many Gen 1 Pokemon! Uh, yeah, cuz they're mostly all really cool and have absolute banger designs and personalities. Respect your elders, kids. Don't get me wrong, as a Sonic fan I totally understand your frustration with nostalgia pandering. But this is Meowth we're talking about. He's awesome, I don't care if it's nostalgia pandering.
But he's nothing moveset-wise without the anime! Even if we choose to base him off of the games alone, there's plenty to work with. Just check his Bulbapedia page.
We already have a cat Pokemon in Smash, Incineroar! Yeah, but Incineroar is not Meowth, therefore making him not as cool. I said so, therefore it is true.
In conclusion, Meowth is popular, profitable, full of personality, has plenty of moveset potential, and is very, very cool.
I declare that if Meowth wins, Jessie and James have to at least appear in the victory animations and taunts!

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
Job 95: Mimikyu
CF200B75-5AD9-4319-BD21-0DD6814D480B.png

Mimikyu is a ghost and fairy type Pokémon introduced in the 7th generation games in Alola. This Pokémon deserves to be in for a variety of reasons. Mimikyu is a very popular Pokémon, it even got in third place for the 2020 Pokémon of the Year poll with 99,077 votes, coming only behind Greninja and Lucario (two Pokémon already in Smash). Mimikyu would also give Pikachu a rival in Smash, because of Mimikyu’s jealousy/hatred of it. Mimikyu could have a variety of moves at it’s disposal, including: shadow claw, shadow ball, play rough, wood hammer. Mimikyu’s final smash could be it’s exclusive Z-Move, Let’s Snuggle Forever. Mimikyu is popular and would bring a lot to the roster.

Yiptap

Smash Lord
Voting:
1. Like Subspace
2. Smash RPG
Job 95: Mimikyu
View attachment 312756
Mimikyu is a ghost and fairy type Pokémon introduced in the 7th generation games in Alola. This Pokémon deserves to be in for a variety of reasons. Mimikyu is a very popular Pokémon, it even got in third place for the 2020 Pokémon of the Year poll with 99,077 votes, coming only behind Greninja and Lucario (two Pokémon already in Smash). Mimikyu would also give Pikachu a rival in Smash, because of Mimikyu’s jealousy/hatred of it. Mimikyu could have a variety of moves at it’s disposal, including: shadow claw, shadow ball, play rough, wood hammer. Mimikyu’s final smash could be it’s exclusive Z-Move, Let’s Snuggle Forever. Mimikyu is popular and would bring a lot to the roster.
Beaten to the punch here. Expect me to vote for this.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Job 95:

Toxtricity is from the 8th generation of Pokemon, and one of the more popular Pokemon in the game. Believe it took 2nd to Dragapault among non starters and legendries in the recent popularity polls. Toxtricity would likely have a sound based moveset, which would for sure be a pretty unique moveset in Smash. It's main specials would likely be calling upon it's unqiue moves in Boomburst and Overdrive. It's final Smash would be Gigantamaxing into it's special form and slamming the ground with it's guitar, sending shockwaves through the ground and hitting everyone in it's path. Gen 8 is also one of the few gens with no reps, so I really would like to get it one.

Krookodilian

Smash Ace
Fighter #92: Grovyle (& Celebi?) Join the Battle!
1619369283953.png
1619369724092.png

Who are they?:
Grovyle:

Grovyle is the middle evolutionary stage of the Treecko line, evolving from Treecko at level 16 , and into Sceptile at level 36. The Treecko line is the grass starter from the Hoenn region, and is received from Professor Birch after rescuing him from a dastardly Poochyena. Grovyle has accompanied many players throughout the middle gyms of the Hoenn region, and Ash even had one in the anime. The Sceptile line was one of the few starter lines to receive a mega, and was also added into Sword and Shield via the Crown Tundra update despite other generations' starters still not being present.

Celebi:
Celebi is the mythical time traveler / Guardian the Ilex Forest, making her debut in the generation two games. After only being available through events, Celebi joined Deoxys and Magearna as a non time sensitive mythical, being catchable in the Virtual Console version of Pokémon Crystal in in 2018. This also marked the first instance of her shiny being obtainable through legal methods. Shiny Celebi even features in the most recent Pokémon movie alongside Zarude.

What Can they do?:
Grovyle:
Leaf Blade, Bullet Seed, Leaf Storm, etc.

Celebi:
Leech Seed, Magical Leaf, Future Sight, etc.

Why Should they be included?:
because they are cool pokemon. Why should they be included together you ask? They are both grass types. duh. Why should Celebi be shiny? because pink is cool. obviously.

Thank you for reading my totally legitimate and authentic submission, vote Grovyle (& Celebi)?

ani_e_253.gif
Fighter #92: Grovyle
(& Celebi?) Alter the Future!
ani_e-S_251.gif

1619367914373.png
pngkit_celebi-png_2403570.png

With the fake submission out of the way, let's get into the real submission! (The reason I'm putting Celebi in parentheses and with a question mark is because if this submission wins, we will vote on how much presence Celebi will have in the moveset and whether she will actually get a spot in the fighter name.)

My actual submission is indeed Grovyle (& Celebi?); However, it is specifically their Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time, Darkness, and Sky incarnations. As opposed to these two's presence in the mainline series, Grovyle and Celebi are actual characters with established personalities, motives, and goals in the PMD: Explorers games. Their inclusion provides us a unique opportunity to add an actual character, rather than simply a random species of pokémon. Not only that, but it also provides us with the opportunity to represent a beloved series of games, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, which has received absolutely zero content in Smash Ultimate despite its status as one of the few non-Mario first party spinoffs to have multiple entries in the series and still be thriving today. In fact, the most recent title, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red & Blue Rescue Team DX came out just last year, and data from just 2 months after its release tells us that it has already sold over 1 million copies.

So, What exactly is Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time / Darkness & Sky?:
I'm sure everyone knows what Pokémon is, but Mystery Dungeon is slightly more obscure. (although to be fair practically every series is obscure compared to Pokémon). Mystery Dungeon is a series of dungeon crawling games, first developed by Spike Chunsoft with the debut title Torneko's Great Adventure in 1993. The series received a couple sequels before getting its first spinoff. This spinoff was not Pokémon themed, and instead centered around the Final Fantasy series, being Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon which came out in 1997. It was not until 2005 on the GBA and DS when the first Pokémon Mystery Dungeon game would come out; Red & Blue Rescue Team, which went on to sell 5.85 million units.

Two years later in 2007, a sequel was released; Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time / Darkness, and two years after that in 2009 an enhanced third version, PMD: Explorers of Sky, came out. These versions introduced generation 4 pokémon and are generally regarded to be the best in the series. They are also the highest selling in the series, selling a combined 6.37 million units. That's more than both the best selling Kirby and Fire Emblem games. While a Wiiware Japanese exclusive game, Gen 5 3DS game, Gen 6 3DS game, and a remake of the first game on switch have all come out since the release of Explorers, Explorers has maintained its fan favorite spot as the best in the series. If you go to IGN's review of it, in which they gave it a 4.9, you'll see thanks to the dislike ratio and comments just how much people love this game.

Why is Explorers so loved?
Now that you know what Pokémon Mystery Dungeon is, I'm sure you may be curious as to why representing the second game in the series makes more sense than repping the most recent title. It pretty much comes down to both sales and popularity, Explorers is the best selling game in the series as well as the most popular, so it makes the most sense to include first. However that's a bit of a boring explanation and doesn't explain any of the magic behind the Explorers games, so I'll dive a little deeper to fully explain why this game deserves to be repped in Smash.

Plot:
Unlike most Pokémon games, which aren't known for their groundbreaking plot, Explorers has writing deserving of an Oscar. It's an extremely impactful story, pushing many to tears at multiple moments, so be wary that the following synopsis contains spoilers.

The story starts off simple (relatively) with you, a human turned into a Pokémon with amnesia, and your partner Pokémon, who has a mysterious item called a relic fragment, joining and going on missions with Wigglytuff's Guild. However, you start to see visions of a mysterious Grovyle who we assume to be a villain. You go on a quest to stop Grovyle from stealing the time gears which would cause time to freeze, covering the world in eternal darkness. However he overpowers both you and the Lake Guardians, amassing more of the time gears. You're just out of luck, when a famous explorer, Dusknoir comes to help, claiming to also want to stop Grovyle from wrecking the future. At the Fogbound Lake, Dusknoir, with help from you and your partner, captures Grovyle and reclaims the time gears. It is here where Dusknoir reveals he and Grovyle are from the future, which while unexpected doesn't affect the plot all too much at face value. You return to the town square, and Dusknoir opens a portal to take Grovyle back to the future. Seems like the story is all but wrapped up.

But wait...

At the last second before the portal closes, Dusknoir grabs you and your partner dragging you through as well! This is the first of many plot twists. You, Grovyle and your partner wake up tied to pillars surrounded by Dusknoir and his army of Sableyes. Dusknoir reveals that he has been ordered by Dialga, who has gone crazy and is now called Primal Dialga, to eliminate the interferers (Grovyle, You, and your partner) to preserve the future. He also reveals that when you were a human, Grovyle was your partner Pokémon. Not only that but you two are from the future and were trying to restore time to a world overran with darkness. So as it turns out, Grovyle was trying to retrieve the Time Gears to restore time, and Dusknoir is actually trying to preserve a dark future as ordered to by an insane Primal Dialga! crazy, I know.

Grovyle, You and your partner escape for now, and with no other option team up with Grovyle, at least for now. Grovyle calls upon his time traveling friend, the Pink Celebi, whos status as a shiny is never acknowledged iirc, and Celebi sends you back to the past. You explain to the guild what Dusknoir has told you, and they reluctantly agree to help Grovyle. Now that they are back in the past, they must return the time gears to temporal tower to prevent Dialga from going crazy and freezing time. However, no one knows where Dialga is. After going on various missions you encounter an elder Torkoal who remembers the pattern of how to get to Dialga, and it is revealed that despite Wigglytuff's facade of ignorance, he is in fact an explorer prodigy. Wigglytuff is revealed to be familiar with the pattern presented by Torkoal, and Dialga's location, the Hidden Land, between worlds and time, which is accessible from Brine Cave, the origin of your partner's relic fragment.

You travel through Brine Crave, to the Hidden Land with the help of Lapras, and up the gauntlet that is the Temporal Tower. You're almost there. but Dusknoir appears and tries to stop you one last time. He almost takes you back to the future, but Grovyle hands over the time gear and pushes Dusknoir through his very own time portal, sacrificing himself to the future in the process. With Grovyle's sacrifice in mind, you finish the climb up the Temporal Tower, return the Time Gears, and Defeat Primal Dialga. Dialga is back to normal, and time will no longer be frozen in the future, and all is well.

But wait..

As you are from the future shrouded in darkness, which no longer exists thanks to you and your partner's effort, you begin to disappear in a truly tear jerking scene. We even get to see our partner mourn our loss and tell the guild about our disappearance.

The game lets you believe that you are gone permanently. for quite a while, which gives the scene impact, although Dialga does bring you back for your efforts, which allows for the post game to continue. and oh boy is there a post game story, one that even rivals the main story.

You go on various missions which seem to be the standard post game of any story. You meet a Scizor, raise a Manaphy egg, etc. but then you try to evolve. You can't. It is revealed that you and your partner are causing a space time distortion since you have been to the future and back preventing you from evolving, and you realize the plot isn't quite over yet. A local pokémon has a nightmare, which you enter with the help of a psychic pokémon to stop, like one of countless missions you've gone on. However, in this dream, Cresselia appears to you and explains that you and your partner must be eliminated or the world will return to darkness again, as you and your partner have created a rip in space time, and its slowly expanding. That night Cresselia appears in your dreams again and once again claims that you must die. You seek out Palkia to confirm this claim, but the night before your exploration he appears in front of you and kidnaps you in an attempt to eliminate you.

But wait...

It is revealed that the Battle against Palkia all occurred in a dream and was an attempt to eliminate you by Cresselia!

But wait...

Another Cresselia appears and exposes the fraud Cresselia as Darkrai! Cresselia has been tracking Darkrai, as he has been trying to destroy the world for ages. You then go to his lair and confront him. He explains himself. He wants to rule over a world of darkness, one obtainable by freezing time. It is explained that he is the force that caused Dialga to go insane, and he is the force which seperated you and Grovyle, giving you amnesia and turning you into a pokémon. He has been pulling the strings all along. After a treacherous battle, you defeat him and he opens another time portal attempting to escape. However, after he enters it, but before it closes, the real Palkia appears and shatters the portal with Darkrai inside it, ending him once and for all. Palkia reveals that the distortion caused by you and your partner is real, but that it is small enough for the god of space to fix, and he removes the distortion. All is well.

But wait...

Just kidding, the plot truly does end here.

Although...

While the main plot does end here, five special episodes are present within the game with their own mini plots relating to characters from the main story. Bidoof gets a wish from Jirachi, we see Wigglytuff's origins as an Igglybuff under the apprenticeship of an outlaw Armaldo, the cowardly Sunflora battles a Slugma and Haunter hoping to become friends with Loudred, and We see what Team Charm and Team AWD from the previous PMD game have been up to. Finally in the fifth mission we see what happens to Grovyle and Dusknoir as well as Celebi after they return to the future. They team up for now and defeat Primal Dialga in the future, vanquishing the darkness. However, as You and your partner have just defeated Dialga in the past, and the future they are in no longer exists, Grovyle, Celebi, Dusknoir, and Dialga all begin to disappear as they see their first and final sunrise. Another tear jerking scene.

(although they are all eventually brought back by "a being higher than [Dialga]" who is hinted to be Arceus.)

So suffice it to say, Explorers has an extremely deep plot that has touched the hearts of millions, as well as members in this thread such as myself, Mr. Robotto Mr. Robotto , airConditioner airConditioner , and PeridotGX PeridotGX .

(also disclaimer I didn't remember most of the plot as I was watching Hoarders while playing the game so most of this was relearned from youtube summaries, so please excuse any inaccuracies)

Why Grovyle?:
So first of all if you read all of that, thank you. But second of all, you may also be wondering why Grovyle would get in over you, the protagonist. Well unlike most Pokémon games where you either pick a male or female trainer, here you get to pick one of various pokémon for both you and your partner pokémon. These include the gen 1-4 starters, Pikachu, Eevee, Riolu, and some less conventional options, Vulpix, Phanpy, Skitty, and Shinx. It is also possible for your partner to be Meowth or Munchlax, but the player character cannot be these two. Not only are there multiple pokémon which can be the protagonist, but the choice is even more personal than picking a starter in the mainline games. Rather than picking a pokémon from a professor, you take a personality quiz and are assigned a starter at the end of the quiz based on your answers. This is a cherished aspect of the PMD franchise, and picking one of the starters to be the rep over the other wouldn't be authentic to how personal the decision is. Furthermore, you don't speak in the game so there's that as well. So it really only makes sense that Grovyle would instead be the playable character in Smash, as the next most important character in the game.

Furthermore we don't have a standalone grass starter yet, but we do have a water and fire starter, so Grovyle would complete the trio. Nor do we have a gen 3 rep or a non clone gen 2 character, so Grovyle and a potential Celebi inclusion could fill those niches as well.

And Finally Grovyle could bring interesting mechanics to the table that no other pokémon rep could. As PMD has quite different gameplay to that of the mainline series, his moveset would reflect that. He would obviously use the various items present in the Mystery Dungeon series, such as Orbs, Seeds, and Wands, as well as Grass type moves, but could have gimmicks on top of those aspects as well. He could be a duo character with Celebi to represent the partner mechanic, he could have an inventory mechanic to represent item usage, and could even have a belly mechanic if balanced properly. If someone can make a time travel mechanic work, he could even use that due to Celebi's presence in his moveset. His Final Smash could involve sending his opponents to the future where they would be ravaged by Sableyes before being blasted by Primal Dialga. Or it could be a team attack from the Guild before being finished off by Wigglytuff's YOOM-TAH!! The moveset ideas here are truly endless.

Grovyle also made a cameo in Super Mystery Dungeon, requesting for you to rescue Pink Celebi, and being connected to Dusknoir and Mesprit on the connection orb, proving he is indeed the same Grovyle. Basically this just proves that Grovyle is not a one off character, not that there aren't one off characters in smash anyway.

What Could he Bring to Smash?:
Grovyle is further set apart from the other potential pokémon reps due to the nature of him bringing a whole spin off series with him. While all Pokémon generations are represented through spirits, pokéball mons, and music, regardless of having a fighter or stage, PMD has no such luxury. Grovyle would bring an amazing selection of music and spirits with his inclusion. Due to the nature of PMD having pokémon with actual characters, he could also bring the first pokémon assist trophy, potentially Wigglytuff or any other prominent PMD character. And who doesn't want a Primal Dialga boss.

Depending on how we go about it he could even get his own universe logo. On one hand the Luigi's Mansion universe doesn't have its own logo, but the PMD universe is entirely separate from that of the mainline universe, unlike the LM universe which is set in the same universe as the mainline Mario universe.

PMD even has its own official art style, which would set its spirits apart from that of the mainline pokemon spirits.

Kecleon Brothers
Pelipper
Kangaskhan
Team A.C.T.
Gengar

Grovyle & Celebi
Wigglytuff & Chatot
Igglybuff & Armaldo
Dusknoir & Sableye
Gengar & Ninetales
Team Charm
Team Skull
Primal Dialga

Dunsparce, Emolga, and Virizion
Kyurem
Hydreigon

Nuzleaf & Beheeyem
Goomy, Espurr, Deerling, Pancham, & Shelmet
Expedition Society
Krookodile (Definitely no bias here)

Potential Issues Addressed:
Q: Shouldn't we add a gen 8 mon?

A: Gen 3 and Gen 5 don't have reps, so not all gens need to be represented. Nor have a stage as shown by Incineroar not receiving a stage. Additionally, gen 8 was quite controversial thanks to dexit so, why not add a fan favorite from a beloved game instead? It's a good way to shake it up rather than just having the filler pokémon slot. Additionally, if the remake of Red & Blue Rescue Team and its sales are anything to go by, Explorers might just be getting remade next, so Grovyle would be perfect for that.

Q: Pokémon Spinoffs aren't in smash!

A: Detective Pikachu has a spirit, and Pikachu Libre is a skin. (I'm aware Pika Libre debuted in ORAS first). This argument also sort of works in his favor, as this means Grovyle has the opportunity to bring more new content than any other pokémon rep as his games are completely unrepresented.

Final Arguments for Grovyle:
1. We've yet to have a gen 3 pokémon
2. We've yet to have a standalone Grass Starter
3. Grovyle is an actual character as opposed to every other pokémon
4. Grovyle would bring basically a whole new series with him
5. PMD as a whole, but Explorers especially is criminally unrepresented
6. Grovyle has the opportunity for multiple unique mechanics
7. Celebi would be the first playable Shiny
8. Grovyle is cool as ****
9. Please (I'm begging you)

And I'll finish this submission off with a final quote from Grovyle:

1619396999097.png

(Please open the spoiler and read my actual submission)

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Fighter #92: Grovyle (& Celebi?) Join the Battle!
View attachment 312731View attachment 312734
Who are they?:
Grovyle:

Grovyle is the middle evolutionary stage of the Treecko line, evolving from Treecko at level 16 , and into Sceptile at level 36. The Treecko line is the grass starter from the Hoenn region, and is received from Professor Birch after rescuing him from a dastardly Poochyena. Grovyle has accompanied many players throughout the middle gyms of the Hoenn region, and Ash even had one in the anime. The Sceptile line was one of the few starter lines to receive a mega, and was also added into Sword and Shield via the Crown Tundra update despite other generations' starters still not being present.

Celebi:
Celebi is the mythical time traveler / Guardian the Ilex Forest, making her debut in the generation two games. After only being available through events, Celebi joined Deoxys and Magearna as a non time sensitive mythical, being catchable in the Virtual Console version of Pokémon Crystal in in 2018. This also marked the first instance of her shiny being obtainable through legal methods. Shiny Celebi even features in the most recent Pokémon movie alongside Zarude.

What Can they do?:
Grovyle:
Leaf Blade, Bullet Seed, Leaf Storm, etc.

Celebi:
Leech Seed, Magical Leaf, Future Sight, etc.

Why Should they be included?:
because they are cool pokemon. Why should they be included together you ask? They are both grass types. duh. Why should Celebi be shiny? because pink is cool. obviously.

Thank you for reading my totally legitimate and authentic submission, vote Grovyle (& Celebi)?

View attachment 312770Fighter #92: Grovyle (& Celebi?) Alter the Future! View attachment 312769

View attachment 312725View attachment 312726

With the fake submission out of the way, let's get into the real submission! (The reason I'm putting Celebi in parentheses and with a question mark is because if this submission wins, we will vote on how much presence Celebi will have in the moveset and whether she will actually get a spot in the fighter name.)

My actual submission is indeed Grovyle (& Celebi?); However, it is specifically their Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time, Darkness, and Sky incarnations. As opposed to these two's presence in the mainline series, Grovyle and Celebi are actual characters with established personalities, motives, and goals in the PMD: Explorers games. Their inclusion provides us a unique opportunity to add an actual character, rather than simply a random species of pokémon. Not only that, but it also provides us with the opportunity to represent a beloved series of games, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, which has received absolutely zero content in Smash Ultimate despite its status as one of the few non-Mario first party spinoffs to have multiple entries in the series and still be thriving today. In fact, the most recent title, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red & Blue Rescue Team DX came out just last year, and data from just 2 months after its release tells us that it has already sold over 1 million copies.

So, What exactly is Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time / Darkness & Sky?:
I'm sure everyone knows what Pokémon is, but Mystery Dungeon is slightly more obscure. (although to be fair practically every series is obscure compared to Pokémon). Mystery Dungeon is a series of dungeon crawling games, first developed by Spike Chunsoft with the debut title Torneko's Great Adventure in 1993. The series received a couple sequels before getting its first spinoff. This spinoff was not Pokémon themed, and instead centered around the Final Fantasy series, being Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon which came out in 1997. It was not until 2005 on the GBA and DS when the first Pokémon Mystery Dungeon game would come out; Red & Blue Rescue Team, which went on to sell 5.85 million units.

Two years later in 2007, a sequel was released; Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time / Darkness, and two years after that in 2009 an enhanced third version, PMD: Explorers of Sky, came out. These versions introduced generation 4 pokémon and are generally regarded to be the best in the series. They are also the highest selling in the series, selling a combined 6.37 million units. That's more than both the best selling Kirby and Fire Emblem games. While a Wiiware Japanese exclusive game, Gen 5 3DS game, Gen 6 3DS game, and a remake of the first game on switch have all come out since the release of Explorers, Explorers has maintained its fan favorite spot as the best in the series. If you go to IGN's review of it, in which they gave it a 4.9, you'll see thanks to the dislike ratio and comments just how much people love this game.

Why is Explorers so loved?
Now that you know what Pokémon Mystery Dungeon is, I'm sure you may be curious as to why representing the second game in the series makes more sense than repping the most recent title. It pretty much comes down to both sales and popularity, Explorers is the best selling game in the series as well as the most popular, so it makes the most sense to include first. However that's a bit of a boring explanation and doesn't explain any of the magic behind the Explorers games, so I'll dive a little deeper to fully explain why this game deserves to be repped in Smash.

Plot:
Unlike most Pokémon games, which aren't known for their groundbreaking plot, Explorers has writing deserving of an Oscar. It's an extremely impactful story, pushing many to tears at multiple moments, so be wary that the following synopsis contains spoilers.

The story starts off simple (relatively) with you, a human turned into a Pokémon with amnesia, and your partner Pokémon, who has a mysterious item called a relic fragment, joining and going on missions with Wigglytuff's Guild. However, you start to see visions of a mysterious Grovyle who we assume to be a villain. You go on a quest to stop Grovyle from stealing the time gears which would cause time to freeze, covering the world in eternal darkness. However he overpowers both you and the Lake Guardians, amassing more of the time gears. You're just out of luck, when a famous explorer, Dusknoir comes to help, claiming to also want to stop Grovyle from wrecking the future. At the Fogbound Lake, Dusknoir, with help from you and your partner, captures Grovyle and reclaims the time gears. It is here where Dusknoir reveals he and Grovyle are from the future, which while unexpected doesn't affect the plot all too much at face value. You return to the town square, and Dusknoir opens a portal to take Grovyle back to the future. Seems like the story is all but wrapped up.

But wait...

At the last second before the portal closes, Dusknoir grabs you and your partner dragging you through as well! This is the first of many plot twists. You, Grovyle and your partner wake up tied to pillars surrounded by Dusknoir and his army of Sableyes. Dusknoir reveals that he has been ordered by Dialga, who has gone crazy and is now called Primal Dialga, to eliminate the interferers (Grovyle, You, and your partner) to preserve the future. He also reveals that when you were a human, Grovyle was your partner Pokémon. Not only that but you two are from the future and were trying to restore time to a world overran with darkness. So as it turns out, Grovyle was trying to retrieve the Time Gears to restore time, and Dusknoir is actually trying to preserve a dark future as ordered to by an insane Primal Dialga! crazy, I know.

Grovyle, You and your partner escape for now, and with no other option team up with Grovyle, at least for now. Grovyle calls upon his time traveling friend, the Pink Celebi, whos status as a shiny is never acknowledged iirc, and Celebi sends you back to the past. You explain to the guild what Dusknoir has told you, and they reluctantly agree to help Grovyle. Now that they are back in the past, they must return the time gears to temporal tower to prevent Dialga from going crazy and freezing time. However, no one knows where Dialga is. After going on various missions you encounter an elder Torkoal who remembers the pattern of how to get to Dialga, and it is revealed that despite Wigglytuff's facade of ignorance, he is in fact an explorer prodigy. Wigglytuff is revealed to be familiar with the pattern presented by Torkoal, and Dialga's location, the Hidden Land, between worlds and time, which is accessible from Brine Cave, the origin of your partner's relic fragment.

You travel through Brine Crave, to the Hidden Land with the help of Lapras, and up the gauntlet that is the Temporal Tower. You're almost there. but Dusknoir appears and tries to stop you one last time. He almost takes you back to the future, but Grovyle hands over the time gear and pushes Dusknoir through his very own time portal, sacrificing himself to the future in the process. With Grovyle's sacrifice in mind, you finish the climb up the Temporal Tower, return the Time Gears, and Defeat Primal Dialga. Dialga is back to normal, and time will no longer be frozen in the future, and all is well.

But wait..

As you are from the future shrouded in darkness, which no longer exists thanks to you and your partner's effort, you begin to disappear in a truly tear jerking scene. We even get to see our partner mourn our loss and tell the guild about our disappearance.

The game lets you believe that you are gone permanently. for quite a while, which gives the scene impact, although Dialga does bring you back for your efforts, which allows for the post game to continue. and oh boy is there a post game story, one that even rivals the main story.

You go on various missions which seem to be the standard post game of any story. You meet a Scizor, raise a Manaphy egg, etc. but then you try to evolve. You can't. It is revealed that you and your partner are causing a space time distortion since you have been to the future and back preventing you from evolving, and you realize the plot isn't quite over yet. A local pokémon has a nightmare, which you enter with the help of a psychic pokémon to stop, like one of countless missions you've gone on. However, in this dream, Cresselia appears to you and explains that you and your partner must be eliminated or the world will return to darkness again, as you and your partner have created a rip in space time, and its slowly expanding. That night Cresselia appears in your dreams again and once again claims that you must die. You seek out Palkia to confirm this claim, but the night before your exploration he appears in front of you and kidnaps you in an attempt to eliminate you.

But wait...

It is revealed that the Battle against Palkia all occurred in a dream and was an attempt to eliminate you by Cresselia!

But wait...

Another Cresselia appears and exposes the fraud Cresselia as Darkrai! Cresselia has been tracking Darkrai, as he has been trying to destroy the world for ages. You then go to his lair and confront him. He explains himself. He wants to rule over a world of darkness, one obtainable by freezing time. It is explained that he is the force that caused Dialga to go insane, and he is the force which seperated you and Grovyle, giving you amnesia and turning you into a pokémon. He has been pulling the strings all along. After a treacherous battle, you defeat him and he opens another time portal attempting to escape. However, after he enters it, but before it closes, the real Palkia appears and shatters the portal with Darkrai inside it, ending him once and for all. Palkia reveals that the distortion caused by you and your partner is real, but that it is small enough for the god of space to fix, and he removes the distortion. All is well.

But wait...

Just kidding, the plot truly does end here.

Although...

While the main plot does end here, five special episodes are present within the game with their own mini plots relating to characters from the main story. Bidoof gets a wish from Jirachi, we see Wigglytuff's origins as an Igglybuff under the apprenticeship of an outlaw Armaldo, the cowardly Sunflora battles a Slugma and Haunter hoping to become friends with Loudred, and We see what Team Charm and Team AWD from the previous PMD game have been up to. Finally in the fifth mission we see what happens to Grovyle and Dusknoir as well as Celebi after they return to the future. They team up for now and defeat Primal Dialga in the future, vanquishing the darkness. However, as You and your partner have just defeated Dialga in the past, and the future they are in no longer exists, Grovyle, Celebi, Dusknoir, and Dialga all begin to disappear as they see their first and final sunrise. Another tear jerking scene.

(although they are all eventually brought back by "a being higher than [Dialga]" who is hinted to be Arceus.)

So suffice it to say, Explorers has an extremely deep plot that has touched the hearts of millions, as well as members in this thread such as myself, Mr. Robotto Mr. Robotto , airConditioner airConditioner , and PeridotGX PeridotGX .

(also disclaimer I didn't remember most of the plot as I was watching Hoarders while playing the game so most of this was relearned from youtube summaries, so please excuse any inaccuracies)

Why Grovyle?:
So first of all if you read all of that, thank you. But second of all, you may also be wondering why Grovyle would get in over you, the protagonist. Well unlike most Pokémon games where you either pick a male or female trainer, here you get to pick one of various pokémon for both you and your partner pokémon. These include the gen 1-4 starters, Pikachu, Eevee, Riolu, and some less conventional options, Vulpix, Phanpy, Skitty, and Shinx. It is also possible for your partner to be Meowth or Munchlax, but the player character cannot be these two. Not only are there multiple pokémon which can be the protagonist, but the choice is even more personal than picking a starter in the mainline games. Rather than picking a pokémon from a professor, you take a personality quiz and are assigned a starter at the end of the quiz based on your answers. This is a cherished aspect of the PMD franchise, and picking one of the starters to be the rep over the other wouldn't be authentic to how personal the decision is. Furthermore, you don't speak in the game so there's that as well. So it really only makes sense that Grovyle would instead be the playable character in Smash, as the next most important character in the game.

Furthermore we don't have a standalone grass starter yet, but we do have a water and fire starter, so Grovyle would complete the trio. Nor do we have a gen 3 rep or a non clone gen 2 character, so Grovyle and a potential Celebi inclusion could fill those niches as well.

And Finally Grovyle could bring interesting mechanics to the table that no other pokémon rep could. As PMD has quite different gameplay to that of the mainline series, his moveset would reflect that. He would obviously use the various items present in the Mystery Dungeon series, such as Orbs, Seeds, and Wands, as well as Grass type moves, but could have gimmicks on top of those aspects as well. He could be a duo character with Celebi to represent the partner mechanic, he could have an inventory mechanic to represent item usage, and could even have a belly mechanic if balanced properly. If someone can make a time travel mechanic work, he could even use that due to Celebi's presence in his moveset. His Final Smash could involve sending his opponents to the future where they would be ravaged by Sableyes before being blasted by Primal Dialga. Or it could be a team attack from the Guild before being finished off by Wigglytuff's YOOM-TAH!! The moveset ideas here are truly endless.

Grovyle also made a cameo in Super Mystery Dungeon, requesting for you to rescue Pink Celebi, and being connected to Dusknoir and Mesprit on the connection orb, proving he is indeed the same Grovyle. Basically this just proves that Grovyle is not a one off character, not that there aren't one off characters in smash anyway.

What Could he Bring to Smash?:
Grovyle is further set apart from the other potential pokémon reps due to the nature of him bringing a whole spin off series with him. While all Pokémon generations are represented through spirits, pokéball mons, and music, regardless of having a fighter or stage, PMD has no such luxury. Grovyle would bring an amazing selection of music and spirits with his inclusion. Due to the nature of PMD having pokémon with actual characters, he could also bring the first pokémon assist trophy, potentially Wigglytuff or any other prominent PMD character. And who doesn't want a Primal Dialga boss.

Depending on how we go about it he could even get his own universe logo. On one hand the Luigi's Mansion universe doesn't have its own logo, but the PMD universe is entirely separate from that of the mainline universe, unlike the LM universe which is set in the same universe as the mainline Mario universe.

PMD even has its own official art style, which would set its spirits apart from that of the mainline pokemon spirits.

Kecleon Brothers
Pelipper
Kangaskhan
Team A.C.T.
Gengar

Grovyle & Celebi
Wigglytuff & Chatot
Igglybuff & Armaldo
Dusknoir & Sableye
Gengar & Ninetales
Team Charm
Team Skull
Primal Dialga

Dunsparce, Emolga, and Virizion
Kyurem
Hydreigon

Nuzleaf & Beheeyem
Goomy, Espurr, Deerling, Pancham, & Shelmet
Expedition Society
Krookodile (Definitely no bias here)

Potential Issues Addressed:
Q: Shouldn't we add a gen 8 mon?

A: Gen 3 and Gen 5 don't have reps, so not all gens need to be represented. Nor have a stage as shown by Incineroar not receiving a stage. Additionally, gen 8 was quite controversial thanks to dexit so, why not add a fan favorite from a beloved game instead? It's a good way to shake it up rather than just having the filler pokémon slot. Additionally, if the remake of Red & Blue Rescue Team and its sales are anything to go by, Explorers might just be getting remade next, so Grovyle would be perfect for that.

Q: Pokémon Spinoffs aren't in smash!

A: Detective Pikachu has a spirit, and Pikachu Libre is a skin. (I'm aware Pika Libre debuted in ORAS first). This argument also sort of works in his favor, as this means Grovyle has the opportunity to bring more new content than any other pokémon rep as his games are completely unrepresented.

Final Arguments for Grovyle:
1. We've yet to have a gen 3 pokémon
2. We've yet to have a standalone Grass Starter
3. Grovyle is an actual character as opposed to every other pokémon
4. Grovyle would bring basically a whole new series with him
5. PMD as a whole, but Explorers especially is criminally unrepresented
6. Grovyle has the opportunity for multiple unique mechanics
7. Celebi would be the first playable Shiny
8. Grovyle is cool as ****
9. Please (I'm begging you)

And I'll finish this submission off with a final quote from Grovyle:

View attachment 312797

(Please open the spoiler and read my actual submission)

Good submission but personally I think that we should add Chocobo from Chocobo's Mystery Dunge- I- I mean from the Final Fantasy series.

warpenguin55

Smash Journeyman
Fighter 92: Lycanroc
lycanroc-midnight.jpg
lycanroc-midday.jpg
lycanroc-dusk.jpg

Lycanroc is from Pokemon Sun & Moon. It's the evolved form of Rockruff(one of the cutest Pokemon in existance). Lycanroc has 3 forms, and the one you get depends on the time of day you evolve your Rockruff. They are Midnight(Left), Midday(Center), and Dusk(Right). I think any of the 3 would work well as a fighter. During last years Pokemon of the Year poll(which does not feel like it happened last year at all), Lycanroc finished with with 42792 votes, which gave it 4th place in the Alola region and 24th place overall.

All 3 Lycanroc forms are based on werewolves. Midnight is a more classic version of a werewolf, while Midday is a voluntary werewolf (a version that changes from man to wolf at will and keeps control of its mind). Dusk is supposed to be a mixure of the two.

I was thinking that if Lycanroc wins, we could have a poll on which form gets in. If that's not OK, let me know and I will choose 1 Lycanroc Form. All 3 forms are cool imo, so I don't really care either way.

airConditioner

Smash Ace
Job 95: Decidueye
Decidueye is the fully evolved form of Rowlet, the Grass starter of Alola. While it is not the most popular of the three Alola starters according to the popularity poll, it is still very popular. It is based upon an archer, which gives it a large zoning based moveset. We also don't have a ghost type in the roster yet (at least not that I can think of) or a fully evolved grass starter. This would fill in two niches which is really neat! While we already have a fully evolved Alola starter in the form of Inc*neroar, I think we should also consider Decidueye because of its prominence in other Pokemon media, such as Pokken.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Job 95 - Appletun
1619414424589.png

Appletun is one of the evolved forms of Applin. A Grass/Dragon type with emphasis on the former type, it is the sole wielder of the move Apple Acid. Also, the flaps of skin on it's back are allegedly quite tasty, which is... Nice? Dunno if it has a problem with being a living snakc dispenser or not.

Anyways, Appletun is a big doofy guy and I think they're cute and funny. I have an idea for a lethal joke moveset that looks weak but racks up damage over time, but my main argument is really just that I think they're neat.

Also their Pokedex number is #842. Even division all the way down. What I presume to be my mild OCD is pleased by this.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Job #95: Flygon the Mystic Pokemon

Flygon is the evolved form of Vibrava. It's known as "The Desert Spirit" because of the song-like voice that emanates from the sandstorms it kicks up.

Flygon is the final evolution of the Trapinch line, and was first introduced in 2002 and the games Ruby and Sapphire. It is a dragon and ground type.

Okay, but why should we pick Flygon?
Because somebody needs to give it love. GameFreak. Seriously, you gave so many Hoenn pokemon megas but not Flygon...

I believe that Flygon is a Pokemon that has tremedous popularity, despite the odds stacked aganist it. Flygon was introduced in the generation that included two pseudo legendaries, and the next pseudo legendary pokemon that was created afterwards shared its dual typing. Flygon was also the only dragon type pokemon from Hoenn to not receive a mega evolution when Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire came out. Despite this, Flygon recieved over fourty thousand votes in the Pokemon of the Year poll, ranking third place for its region and twenty sixth overall.

I also believe that Flygon would be great since it would allow for us to represent the different types of Pokemon franchise, with neither of its types having a playable smash character (types with no playable pokemon are Dragon, Bug, Ice, Rock, Ground and Ghost). Flygon also would be the first playable character from the Hoenn region.

1619418009130.png
How would it work?
Since speed is Flygon's best stats, I feel like it would be a faster fighter, with its moves causing less knockback. Flygon would also be a heavy weight fighter that works well both on the ground and in the air.

Edit: Also, while browsing Bulbapedia for some information about Flygon, I learned that Goh has caught one and that it appears in one of the Japanense intros for Pokemon Journey.
View attachment 312830

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom