• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
This is actually pretty confusing for me. Like, everything is pointing towards Erdrick being in the game, but Cloud only having 2 songs in the game seems to be evident that SE isn't being very cooperative for smash. I really don't know what to think about all this
Just gonna put that out there, but I believe it’s moreso on the composer owning the rights to the music rather than Square.

EDIT: Pretty much what Shroob Shroob said.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
No seriously, I've seen people spread around the information that Piranha Plant had been planned for the base roster for whatever reason.

Gonna need a source on that, chief.
It's because we know it's been in development since September, but as far as I know, there's nothing to prove it was ever planned to be as anything but DLC. We 'can' speculate, but I don't think there's evidence to say that it was planned for the base game.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Difference here is probably licensing issues in regards to SE's music. Since, Square doesn't actually 'own' the Final Fantasy OST.
Oh really? Square has a reputation for being kind of possessive of their things, so it'd be weird to think they wouldn't own the OST to one of their most critically acclaimed games

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
No seriously, I've seen people spread around the information that Piranha Plant had been planned for the base roster for whatever reason.

Gonna need a source on that, chief.
I don't think anything official was ever said, but certain things add up. The fact that it was shown in a presentable state as early as it was, the fact that a leaker mentioned it in a post that got no traction quite a while before its reveal, and the fact that it was an early adopter bonus seem to indicate that they just didn't finish it on time.

Shroob

Sup?
Oh really? Who does? Square has a reputation for being kind of possessive of their things, so it'd be weird to think they wouldn't own the OST to one of their most critically acclaimed games
The composer does, so whoever does the FF music, I'm not sure who it is. Nobou? Uemetsu? One of those guys probably.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
The composer does, so whoever does the FF music, I'm not sure who it is. Nobou? Uemetsu? One of those guys probably.
Really odd. You'd think the developers/publisher's would have the rights to that. I'm assuming it's cheaper to hire a composer and not buy the rights to their music.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Not saying Spirits don't deconfirm (they may, who knows) but I will say the argument that they do is about as baseless as the argument that they don't.

There is no evidence on both sides. Until Sakurai says a definitive "yes" or "no", it would be wise to entertain both sides IMO.
Honestly I agree with this. At this point there's no real answer as to whether spirits mean anything at all when it comes to characters and while things may line up with that they do right now there is nothing actually says definitively either way atm. I's something to keep in mind but I don't think should be argued as an iron clad rule

Yes, but you're viewing this wrong. Not only hardcore is playing online, not only hardcore Smashers visit those websites, etc, etc.

The general public who play Smash aren't even capable of ignoring the Geno of it all at this point.
The general public for the most part aren't the ones participating in site and blog polls, or hosting week long speedrun streams. Even for those watching GDQ or using their avatar there really isn't anything requiring them to know or care who it is to do either.
That's not even bringing into account that "I see a bunch of people online use their avatar" is anecdotal at best :/

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Really odd. You'd think the developers/publisher's would have the rights to that. I'm assuming it's cheaper to hire a composer and not buy the rights to their music.
It's one of the reasons that people are against the idea of Erdrick to begin with, since the Dragon Quest composer owns the rights to the Dragon Quest OST(iirc), and has such a "**** everyone except Japan" worldview.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Yeah, Nobuo Uematsu.

He also composed Brawl's main theme and worked on other games, including Granblue Fantasy (y'all know I'm gonna mention it whenever I can).

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
It's one of the reasons that people are against the idea of Erdrick to begin with, since the Dragon Quest composer owns the rights to the Dragon Quest OST(iirc), and has such a "**** everyone except Japan" worldview.
Beyond just that, the composer has many other problematic things to dislike about him.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Beyond just that, the composer has many other problematic things to dislike about him.
Definitely a “separating the art from the artist” scenario.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't think anything official was ever said, but certain things add up. The fact that it was shown in a presentable state as early as it was, the fact that a leaker mentioned it in a post that got no traction quite a while before its reveal, and the fact that it was an early adopter bonus seem to indicate that they just didn't finish it on time.
I think that's grasping at straws.
It's more likely that the leaker knew about Piranha Plant because they've seen the reveal trailer that would be included in the Direct, considering Verg claimed to have known about a video passed around that included another Nintendo newcomer after Incineroar, which he later confirmed it was for Piranha Plant after the reveal.
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...ltimate_spoiler_discussion/e8uo0r8/?context=3

The reveal trailer existing for quite some time gives no indication that it was meant to be in the base roster.

Last edited by a moderator:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Obviously Piranha Plant was a base roster inclusion that got relegated to DLC.

The reason for that of course being that it wouldn't fit on the Collector's edition box.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The closest thing we have to suggest PP was base at some point, and I don't mean a leaker knowing of it... way later on when the trailer could've been made anyway, is there's a missing character.pak among the various ones in the base roster itself. That might've been PP.

However, that's just a guess and there's nothing to really add up. We don't have any evidence it was ever going to be anything but DLC, just coincidences.

Shroob

Sup?
I think that's grasping at straws.
It's more likely that the leaker knew about Piranha Plant because they've seen the reveal trailer that would be included in the Direct, considering Verg claimed to have known about a video passed around that included another Nintendo newcomer after Incineroar, which he later confirmed it was for Piranha Plant after the reveal.
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...ltimate_spoiler_discussion/e8uo0r8/?context=3

The reveal trailer existing for quite some time gives no indication that it was meant to be in the base roster.
This is interesting actually.

The reddit leak claiming to be a playtester said that Piranha Plant lacked fire in its moveset, yet its back air clearly has Fire.

Did we ever see Piranha Plant's back air in the Direct?

D

Deleted member

The reddit leak claiming to be a playtester said that Piranha Plant lacked fire in its moveset, yet its back air clearly has Fire.

Nope.
The explosive Bair was discovered only after release.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
the original Super Smash Bros. supervisor, currently he doesn't work on Smash in anyway I don't think.

Either way I really don't see why people are freaking out about this as it gives nothing we didn't already know. I'm already seeing it being treated as a hint and it feels like the annoying, extreme side of speculation that turns everything into 4D chess and complicated theories.
alright I just wanted to go back to this and say:

I found there were more "Original Game Supervisors" for Smash Ultimate, including people from SEGA, Konami, and Capcom. It makes me wonder if it doesn't mean the original Smash game, but the original games that characters are from.

If that's true, then I still don't see why Kumizaki would be dropping hints about Erdrick/Roto or whoever when 1. He'd be under NDA - 2. Sakurai probably wouldn't want him to spoil it - and 3. He's with HAL, not the companies associated with DQ.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Difference here is probably licensing issues in regards to SE's music. Since, Square doesn't actually 'own' the Final Fantasy OST.
But then again, Dragon Quest is also in a similar situation with Sugiyama and the record labels.

Y'all literally have Yoko Shimomura there. She's RIGHT THERE. No problems, gung-ho, Vector to the Heavens, let's gooo.

AAAAAH.png

R O F L

Smash Ace

The only moves shown in the Direct were Dtilt, Stilt, Fsmash, Dsmash, Usmash, Uthrow, all specials, Dash-attack, Fair, and Dair.

No fire attacks.

D

Deleted member

What if the next Smash games includes more characters from other series owned by Sega, Capcom, Bandai Namco, Square Enix, Konami, Bethesda, Koei Techmo, and Netherrealm, and less Nintendo characters?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
What if the next Smash games includes more characters from other series owned by Sega, Capcom, Bandai Namco, Square Enix, Konami, Bethesda, Koei Techmo, and Netherrealm, and less Nintendo characters?
Reception's gonna vary I'll tell you what.

Shroob

Sup?
The only moves shown in the Direct were Dtilt, Stilt, Fsmash, Dsmash, Usmash, Uthrow, all specials, Dash-attack, Fair, and Dair.

No fire attacks.
That's making me think that said 'playtester' somehow just saw the Direct two months early somehow.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I already feel like this game is being that way. But that's only my personal opinion.

But oh well, at least Ridley is there so, I cannot really complain.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
For me, I'd like it significantly less.

In general, it's gonna be a mixed bag.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

ok the fact that they shunted sweet victory was stupid and dumb

but did y'all see that ****ing endgame tv spot????? **** was hype

Noipoi

Howdy!
XD HOLY CRAP, NOI! That was quick! Also, she is indeed something! It's like the 3 did the Fusion Dance or Isabelle and Incenaroar had some sort of daughter that admires Ken deeply like her childhood Hero!
What an adorable image you've put in my head.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I’m still on the boat that Spirits deconfirm.

Also, I don’t think Sora is that big of a net breaker, he’ll hype the internet no doubt but nuke it, nah.

He always felt like an obvious inclusion plus some people do expect him.

Opossum Opossum you said something about Kencinebell earlier. I couldn't pass up the opportunity.

View attachment 190137
That ain’t Banjisaaceno.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
On the note of Piranha Plant, did any of the dataminers find out if its victory music fits into the missing slot between Inklings (Z91) and Incineroar(Z93)? Because if it is between them in the data, then that would lend to the possibility that it was pegged for the base game before being pushed off to DLC.

Sarah Shinespark

Smash Rookie
XD HOLY CRAP, NOI! That was quick! Also, she is indeed something! It's like the 3 did the Fusion Dance or Isabelle and Incenaroar had some sort of daughter that admires Ken deeply like her childhood Hero!
Now have her summoning infinite Moons... *bwahaha*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom