• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Take a gander online. Every other person you face is using the Geno avatar, Games Done Quick have the prizes for running Super Mario RPG were of him, the announcers couldn't shut up about putting him in Smash, etc, etc.

He comes up in ''want lists" on pretty much every major gaming website and blog.

He's not ''niche" anymore. He's not something that would go un-noticed if Nintendo and Square finally threw the ball in the court and added him.
A lot of what you brought up was aimed at the hardcore audience or entirely based on feedback from hardcore players. :/

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I would more believe that Spirits don't deconfirm if it was like Smash For and the whole DLC roster wasn't planned pre release. But since it was. Yeah, I think Spirits deconfirm. They could've easily said "Hey, we want to use Geno for DLC so let's not put him in as a spirit." And yet, he was there. Consolation prize if I've ever seen one.
[insert mewtwo/lucas]

I was mostly joshing in that post but I don't like the mentality that they're deconfirmed for the rest of the DLC cycle. I think it's highly respectable to think they're deconfirmed for this one pack if that's what you think, but beyond that? my man yous lackin.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'm in the 'Spirits disconfirm' camp...at least for this DLC set.

We know the DLC was planned before release, so it'd have made sense to remove those spirits for the DLC characters. They didn't, so they really feel like consolation prizes.

Now if we were to get a second season, or even DLC echoes that were not planned before release, then I think all bets are off.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

We know the DLC was planned before release, so it'd have made sense to remove those spirits for the DLC characters. They didn't, so they really feel like consolation prizes.

Now if we were to get a second season, or even DLC echoes that were not planned before release, then I think all bets are off.
Now this is a man of High IQ.

Shroob

Sup?

This I agree with.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
[insert mewtwo/lucas]

I was mostly joshing in that post but I don't like the mentality that they're deconfirmed for the rest of the DLC cycle. I think it's highly respectable to think they're deconfirmed for this one pack if that's what you think, but beyond that? my man yous lackin.
Mewtwo/Lucas, like I said was before DLC was planned this time it was planned.

But no, I'm a firm believer that there'll be a Fighter's Pass 2 and yeah I think that one will be full fan favorite picks. Geno included.

D

Deleted member

Tom Brady right now is like Sakurai every time he announces a new Smash game lol.

D

Deleted member

As much as I love Banjo... still don't think he'll make a giant splash. A big one for sure but other than him being a Microsoft character legally he's always been a Nintendo character. One reason I really think Doom Slayer is happening is because, well, he shouldn't and yet, if he does get in, looking back on it, it would make perfect sense.
Now see, I'm with you. I want Doom Slayer. However, even Sora and his weird Disney **** situation has a much better chance than Doom Slayer, unfortunately. And the thing is, it's not even about IP, franchise, copyright stuff or what have you. It's pretty much Japan and how they view violence.

They usually heavily censor excessive violence, and a very good recent example of this is that Mortal Kombat 11 is practically banned in Japan on Steam and in general. Vendors won't sell it, even import vendors. Not to mention, Doom isn't that popular enough in Japan, so why would Nintendo bank on an excessively violent series that doesn't have much traction in their homeland?

Another challenge would be trying to encapsulate the Doom Slayer to pay full respects to the Doom franchise with his moveset. I honestly think the closest we'll ever get to pushing the limits would be Bayonetta's moveset, which acts like you're playing Bayonetta. And again, don't get me wrong, I would LOVE Doom Slayer, and Mick Gordon's music would fix a lot of the gaps that Smash Ultimate's soundtrack has. But I just can't see it happening.

Last edited by a moderator:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
You know why? Because Sora and Geno have a global brand and want.

Erdrick and Dragon Quest is pleasing only one side of the world.

And therefore that is why it is BORING to a lot more people than Geno or Sora could ever be.

I guarantee you when Erdrick is revealed. It's going to be the biggest ''Oh." in internet history.

The other two? They'd break the internet. And for me that can NEVER be boring.
Sora would not only break the internet but also send it to the hospital. probably

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Isn't Brave's height currently listed to be about Toon Link/Mario in size? You'd think Sora would be a touch taller than that.
Hunch over Sora is the reasoning here. I am not sure if that's how the height actually works though, because surely it would take into account the whole model rather than what is shown? Then again, could be wrong there.

For me it is the weight that is peculiar. I could see an armored boi being 101 (just below Mega Man), but Sora heavier than Cloud, Chrom, and whatever? I don't see it.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
If Erdrick becomes the next DLC rep I can firmly say that mostly only japan will be excited. Anyone that's not a DQ fan over here would either be mad that they didn't get a character they want or just react with a "ok, whatever".

We got Ridley and King K. Rool which are mostly popular over here, so I guess that japan kinda deserves getting some characters mostly popular there too.

I'd personally have no reaction to Erdrick, as in neither being surprised nor excited and just moving on to waiting for the next DLC character to be revealed and waiting for the next Smash game for another SE rep.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
If Erdrick becomes the next DLC rep I can firmly say that mostly only japan will be excited. Anyone that's not a DQ fan over here would either be mad that they didn't get a character they want or just react with a "ok, whatever".

We got Ridley and King K. Rool which are mostly popular over here, so I guess that japan kinda deserves getting some characters mostly popular there too.

I'd personally have no reaction to Erdrick, as in neither being surprised nor excited and just moving on to waiting for the next DLC character to be revealed and waiting for the next Smash game for another SE rep.
Most of the people getting mad will still buy it. They are either completionists, will get over it once their emotions are no longer high, or will be won over by the moveset.

I remember being a bit salty about Corrin and Bayonetta, but I still got both eventually. It's new content. Granted in hindsight I shouldn't have as I dropped Smash 4 altogether rather quickly after that heh.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Watch Sakurai get pissed that Erdrick leaked, and then he changes the release schedule and drops someone random next. And then once we're all good and doubtful about Erdrick, then he finally pops up.
Most of the people getting mad will still buy it. They are either completionists, will get over it once their emotions are no longer high, or will be won over by the moveset.

I remember being a bit salty about Corrin and Bayonetta, but I still got both eventually. It's new content. Granted in hindsight I shouldn't have as I dropped Smash 4 altogether rather quickly after that heh.
I hear ya. I'm trying not to be such a DLC completionist with most games since I invariably get disappointed.

I'm still on the fence, but I'm not sold on either. But yeah, Bayo did end up being really cool. I stopped playing Sm4sh right after Cloud released and the Bayo/Corrin announcement, so I didn't get a chance to play them until Ultimate. I guess once we end up getting some Joker/Erdrick gameplay, I'll see.

D

Deleted member

In all honesty, the only "American-leaning" character we've seen in the roster definitely has to be Ridley. King K. Rool has been also a heavy want from the Japanese, and quite possibly their most wanted character before Rex & Pyra.

The thing is, too, it's hard to tell whether or not Japan would like a character unless they never stop and continue to be passionate. That was pretty much King K. Rool over there.

Shroob

Sup?
In all honesty, the only "American-leaning" character we've seen in the roster definitely has to be Ridley. King K. Rool has been also a heavy want from the Japanese, and quite possibly their most wanted character before Rex & Pyra.

The thing is, too, it's hard to tell whether or not Japan would like a character unless they never stop and continue to be passionate. That was pretty much King K. Rool over there.
:ultdarksamus:*Sad phazon noises*

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The thing with Sora is that i’m pretty sure you’d be dealing with Disney more than Square Enix.

While I like Geno as a character and think he’s be super cool, adding Dragon Quest and a protagonist from it adds more than Geno ever could. Rather than “a Mario character from another company”, you get an entirely new universe, new stage, brand new music, new character, etc.

This is coming from a guy who very much likes Geno, mind you. Sora would be internet breaking, and I think he should definitely be in this game. But internet breaking doesn’t mean it’s the easiest or best choice at the time. I can only imagine the stress of dealing with getting one of their properties in a game like Smash, especially when it was difficult to have Sora crossover into other Square Enix games.

Basically, all three would be great picks, but I think we’re getting the middle of the pack pick that adds into the crossover element, while being relatively easier to bring in.

Sora is a dream pick, without a doubt.

D

Deleted member

Alright, just finished the Tangled world in KH3, currently at 15 hours in.

That's enough time for me to safely say, compared to previous games in the series...

It's better than KH2.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Now see, I'm with you. I want Doom Slayer. However, even Sora and his weird Disney **** situation has a much better chance than Doom Slayer, unfortunately. And the thing is, it's not even about IP, franchise, copyright stuff or what have you. It's pretty much Japan and how they view violence.

They usually heavily censor excessive violence, and a very good recent example of this is that Mortal Kombat 11 is practically banned in Japan on Steam and in general. Vendors won't sell it, even import vendors. Not to mention, Doom isn't that popular enough in Japan, so why would Nintendo bank on an excessively violent series that doesn't have much traction in their homeland?

Another challenge would be trying to encapsulate the Doom Slayer to pay full respects to the Doom franchise with his moveset. I honestly think the closest we'll ever get to pushing the limits would be Bayonetta's moveset, which acts like you're playing Bayonetta. And again, don't get me wrong, I would LOVE Doom Slayer, and Mick Gordon's music would fix a lot of the gaps that Smash Ultimate's soundtrack has. But I just can't see it happening.
If they were against the violent nature of games we would have never gotten Bayonetta. Bayonetta is literally just as bad as Doom. The only thing missing is the words Heaven and Hell in place of Paradiso and Inferno. Satanic and angelic imagery are present in both, mutilation is present in both, buckets and buckets of blood are present in both.

The difference? One is heavily Japanese while the other is heavily American. That's pretty much it. Heavy violence doesn't have to be a part of his moveset and it's likely it won't be should he get in. Doom Slayer has something that Bayonetta doesn't though and that's his icon status from being the grandfather of the FPS.

Honestly, I'd put a bet down on Doom Slayer. I think he'll be the 3rd character in this Fighter's Pass. I think they'll make a big ass deal out of him being an American character too. We'll see but I think y'all are sleeping on The Slayer. Only thing he's got going against them is he's a western character but then again that could possibly be a boon.

D

Deleted member

"A PNG isn't gonna disconfirm a character lol"

Then explain why Piranha Plant didn't get a Spirit until DLC.

We're never going to have a situation where a character is going to be able to equip themselves with their own Spirit.
Only alternate versions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?

While I'm on the other side of the argument that thinks Spirits do disconfirm, iirc, stuff like Dry Bones or Parakoopa don't have one either.

Just playing from both angles here. I definitely believe that if a character has a Spirit in the base game, they're out for this current fighter pass.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

While I'm on the other side of the argument that thinks Spirits do disconfirm, iirc, stuff like Dry Bones or Parakoopa don't have one either.

Just playing from both angles here. I definitely believe that if a character has a Spirit in the base game, they're out for this current fighter pass.
Saying "so and so doesn't have a Spirit" doesn't negate the point whatsoever.

R O F L

Smash Ace

We're never going to have a situation where a character is going to be able to equip themselves with their own Spirit.
Only alternate versions.
Piranha Plant was originally going to be base game. That's why. We will never know if spirits deconfirm unless we get an official statement.

Also, K.Rool can equip Kaptain and Baron, and Wii Fit's, Game & Watch's, and R.O.B's spirits are basically themselves but different.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Only alternate versions.
I think what's more telling is that the Nipper Plant evolves into Petey Piranha when there's no logical reason to use the Nipper over the Piranha.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I am of the opinion that spirits don't deconfirm characters...

It's not being Joker level that does.

D

Deleted member

Piranha Plant was originally going to be base game. That's why. We will never know if spirits deconfirm unless we get an official statement.
-citation needed-

Also, K.Rool can equip Kaptain and Baron, and Wii Fit's, Game & Watch's, and R.O.B's spirits are basically themselves but different.

What part of "only alternate versions" did you not read?
You gave a list of ALTERNATE VERSIONS. And in the latter three's case, you listed Spirits that represent SOMETHING OTHER THAN THE CHARACTER THEMSELVES DIRECTLY.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
The main reason I'm so against Erdrick is because I didn't get any character that actually interests me in the game yet.

Inklings: Splatoon is a fun game, and the Inklings were pretty much a given to be in this game.
Ridley: I like Ridley for his moveset, but I never played Metroid so that's all.
Dark Samus: I don't care about Dark Samus. She's literally a glorified palette swap.
The Belmonts: I like Castlevania quite a lot, but I've never been a fan of the Belmonts. My favorite Castlevanias feature characters that aren't Belmonts, such as Alucard, Soma and Shanoa. At least I get some nice music, a cool stage and one of the characters I wanted as an AT.
Daisy: See Dark Samus.
Chrom: I don't even like Fire Emblem.
Joker: He's actually kinda cool, I didn't play his game but he might be interesting based on the few knowledge I have on him.
King K. Rool: Not a big fan. But a very close friend has him as his favorite, so I'm happy for them at least.
Ken: Same as Dark Samus. I just don't like Echoes.
Isabelle: She's cute. But that's all, really.
Incineroar: I wanted Decidueye over him. I'm still a little bit salty. Knowing that I almost got what I wanted just makes things worse.

I just want a character I actually wish for to be in the game. And seeing as a SE rep is already an unlikely thing and that there's no way we'd ever get 2 new SE reps in the same game and that there probably won't be a new Smash game in years, makes me wish it's someone else. Guess I'll just have to deal with it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not saying Spirits don't deconfirm (they may, who knows) but I will say the argument that they do is about as baseless as the argument that they don't.

There is no evidence on both sides. Until Sakurai says a definitive "yes" or "no", it would be wise to entertain both sides IMO.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
A lot of what you brought up was aimed at the hardcore audience or entirely based on feedback from hardcore players. :/
Yes, but you're viewing this wrong. Not only hardcore is playing online, not only hardcore Smashers visit those websites, etc, etc.

The general public who play Smash aren't even capable of ignoring the Geno of it all at this point.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The main reason I'm so against Erdrick is because I didn't get any character that actually interests me in the game yet.

Inklings: Splatoon is a fun game, and the Inklings were pretty much a given to be in this game.
Ridley: I like Ridley for his moveset, but I never played Metroid so that's all.
Dark Samus: I don't care about Dark Samus. She's literally a glorified palette swap.
The Belmonts: I like Castlevania quite a lot, but I've never been a fan of the Belmonts. My favorite Castlevanias feature characters that aren't Belmonts, such as Alucard, Soma and Shanoa. At least I get some nice music, a cool stage and one of the characters I wanted as an AT.
Daisy: See Dark Samus.
Chrom: I don't even like Fire Emblem.
Joker: He's actually kinda cool, I didn't play his game but he might be interesting based on the few knowledge I have on him.

King K. Rool: Not a big fan. But a very close friend has him as his favorite, so I'm happy for them at least.

I just want a character I actually wish for to be in the game. And seeing as a SE rep is already an unlikely thing and that there's no way we'd ever get 2 new SE reps in the same game and that there probably won't be a new Smash game in years, makes me wish it's someone else. Guess I'll just have to deal with it.
Oof, poor KenCineBelle didn't even get a mention.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
And seeing as a SE rep is already an unlikely thing and that there's no way we'd ever get 2 new SE reps in the same game and that there probably won't be a new Smash game in years, makes me wish it's someone else.
This is actually pretty confusing for me. Like, everything is pointing towards Erdrick being in the game, but Cloud only having 2 songs in the game seems to be evident that SE isn't being very cooperative for smash. I really don't know what to think about all this

D

Deleted member

No seriously, I've seen people spread around the information that Piranha Plant had been planned for the base roster for whatever reason.

Gonna need a source on that, chief.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Oh.... I see we're talking about "Spirit deconfirmation" again.

I'm on the side of they don't confirm, simply b/c we'd basically be left w/ 3rd party characters if they do deconfirm (which I don't want at all).

But there honestly isn't a good enough argument on either side, so at the very least, people should at least keep the possibility of a new 1st party rep outside of "Gen 8 Pokemon" and "3 Houses rep" in the back of their mind instead of ruling it out entirely.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
This is actually pretty confusing for me. Like, everything is pointing towards Erdrick being in the game, but Cloud only having 2 songs in the game seems to be evident that SE isn't being very cooperative for smash. I really don't know what to think about all this
Difference here is probably licensing issues in regards to SE's music. Since, Square doesn't actually 'own' the Final Fantasy OST.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom