• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Hello? Is the thread still awake?
DD8EACDF-902A-411E-A10B-EF4B023545D3.jpeg

Am I the only one who think's :ultrobinf:'s victory dialogues is underutilized? I think she should've them for more characters than just Lucina, like

to :ultlink:: "How can you protect Hyrule if you can't protect yourself?"

or for :ultpit:: "How can you protect Palutena if you can't protect yourself?"

and :ultluigi: can be: "How can you love Daisy if you can't love yourself?"
Okay, that Luigi one went a little too personal.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
You know what sucks?

It’s your first birthday sense transitioning your gender identity. Your first birthday as your true self. And you’re in college miles away from anyone who cares.

And it sucks even more because you’re 19 (now 20). So you don’t get parties anymore. And people would just want to be watching the f**king Super Bowl anyway.

And then you just have a rotten day for other separate reasons.

I hate my life right now.

Take an example from Ness, try giving a call to your family back home. There's always gonna be someone who cares out there.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
"Remember kids. When Mr.Sakurai gives you Erdrick, remember to act really surprised, okay? We don't want him to know his surprise was ruined."

Shroob

Sup?
(Implying we have concrete evidence for Erdrick)
Either, this is a joke, or... I'm sorry, let me just whip this out right quick...

It's mainly a joke, but the general consensus in the fanbase at large is that Brave = Erdrick. Not 'everyone' thinks that, but just looking at here, reddit and gamefaqs, I'd wager it's a 3:1 belief to disbelief ratio for the online portion of the community.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hello. I’m sorry that I’m no longer active on Smashboards anymore. I don’t visit this website very often. I already understand the necroposting issue which it’s the pet peeve in forums. I have to be more careful on which thread to comment on. I’m surprised that my account still exists. I’m not looking for drama nor trouble. I’m just apologising to the Smashboards community for not knowing about necroposting and other forum pet peeves. This is my last message. Afterwards, you guys won’t hear from me again. Take care.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
It's mainly a joke, but the general consensus in the fanbase at large is that Brave = Erdrick. Not 'everyone' thinks that, but just looking at here, reddit and gamefaqs, I'd wager it's a 3:1 belief to disbelief ratio for the online portion of the community.
I'm on the fence about the whole thing. I'd be indifferent to anyone, but it could be anyone. It could be Erdrick, it could be Yuri, it could even be...

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Hello. I’m sorry that I’m no longer active on Smashboards anymore. I don’t visit this website very often. I already understand the necroposting issue which it’s the pet peeve in forums. I have to be more careful on which thread to comment on. I’m surprised that my account still exists. I’m not looking for drama nor trouble. I’m just apologising to the Smashboards community for not knowing about necroposting and other forum pet peeves. This is my last message. Afterwards, you guys won’t hear from me again. Take care.
Um....

Okay then. Bye :yoshi:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm on the fence about the whole thing. I'd be indifferent to anyone, but it could be anyone. It could be Erdrick, it could be Yuri, it could even be...
Huh, I thought Joker will be our only ATLUS rep.

Not complaining, Aegis is great.

Shroob

Sup?

Plausible, but considering we know his general stats, his biggest(ironically being) that his height is roughly the same as Toon Link... I dunno, Yuri's a pretty tall boi.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I would honestly say that Ultimate's speculation was the worst solely because how absolutely nasty it gotten. It was mostly normal, the same old leak like other speculation periods, people casually debate it, and then September happens. New direct, people are hyped, and then delay due to earthquake. Isaac time, right? Isabelle, massive salt, everyone's screaming on the topic of deserving and who deserves to get in, nobody agrees, a box causes even more drama, and then... the Grinch. It just had to be real? I mean, it is Ultimate? Or was it too good to be true? Everyone's anxious, slinging crap at each other, reports of harassment, brigading, all that jazz. And then

It happens

The November 1st direct is live, and the Grinch gets suplexed by Tony the Tiger, and then Plant.

The fandom went nuclear that day, like, far worse then Gemastu, this was a whole different beast of anger, threats disappointments. Claims that Sakurai should be ashamed, all that.

Because of all of that, I would say that Smash Ult. Speculation wasn't fun at all, instead of nice conversations on who might make the cut, it was more like an unorginized political debate. I much prefered Smash 4's speculation.

I do like the DLC talk we have here though, it's nice and quaint, kinda like Smash 4's DLC talks.
Even though I got my two most wanted characters :ultkrool: and :ultridley: who I've been waiting for since the Melee days, I still didn't like Ultimate's speculation cycle, notably the base game so far. I also didn't like how the roster turned out because I wished that a couple of more Ballot picks would have been chosen for the roster besides who I wanted.

Isaac should have gotten in and we still don't know if Geno and Banjo & Kazooie are going to be one or two of the four remaining DLC characters. I hope Geno and Banjo & Kazooie make it so that a lot of the other fans can finally get their most wanted besides myself.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Even though I got my two most wanted characters :ultkrool: and :ultridley: who I've been waiting for since the Melee days, I still didn't like Ultimate's speculation cycle, notably the base game so far. I also didn't like how the roster turned out because I wished that a couple of more Ballot picks would have been chosen for the roster besides who I wanted.

Isaac should have gotten in and we still don't know if Geno and Banjo & Kazooie are going to be one or two of the four remaining DLC characters. I hope Geno and Banjo & Kazooie make it so that a lot of the other fans can finally get their most wanted besides myself.
Simon and Richter were ballot picks too. As Castlevania as a whole got tons of votes. It's also why there's so much Castlevania content. So technically speaking, we did get a couple more ballot picks. He also implies(due to fan demand) for Chrom and Dark Samus, which is also how he described Ridley, so... it's almost entirely confirmed at this point. That's at least 6. So far, Incineroar can't be, Piranha Plant is unlikely to be, and Joker cannot be either. We have 13 new characters confirmed so far, and only 3 of them are impossible/unlikely to be ballot-related. Inkling probably didn't need the ballot. Isabelle may have needed it. Daisy probably needed it. Ken could easily go either way more than the other 9. He's as close to Inkling as "din't really need the ballot" to get in. But still might've had it.

We got 4 characters left to reveal at minimum, and who knows how many are ballot picks.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

Not that much people voted in the ballot, so it would be a bad idea to pick the whole roster, solely from that. Plus, no Smash game only added most heavily requested characters, Ultimate isn't really unique in that regard.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Simon and Richter were ballot picks too. As Castlevania as a whole got tons of votes. It's also why there's so much Castlevania content. So technically speaking, we did get a couple more ballot picks. He also implies(due to fan demand) for Chrom and Dark Samus, which is also how he described Ridley, so... it's almost entirely confirmed at this point. That's at least 6. So far, Incineroar can't be, Piranha Plant is unlikely to be, and Joker cannot be either. We have 13 new characters confirmed so far, and only 3 of them are impossible/unlikely to be ballot-related. Inkling probably didn't need the ballot. Isabelle may have needed it. Daisy probably needed it. Ryu could easily go either way more than the other 9. He's as close to Inkling as "din't really need the ballot" to get in. But still might've had it.

We got 4 characters left to reveal at minimum, and who knows how many are ballot picks.
You're right, but besides :ultridley:, :ultkrool:, and :ultsimon:, everybody else chosen from the Ballot became Echo Fighters.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I hope none of them. More than 12 million people bought Ultimate and ballot had like, what, 1.5 million votes? It's not the best estimate of the Smash fandom as a whole and it likely aged a bit. I don't want its unrevealed results to rule speculation for years.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You're right, but besides :ultridley:, :ultkrool:, and :ultsimon:, everybody else chosen from the Ballot became Echo Fighters.
That doesn't matter. Because they were still chosen due to the ballot. Especially Richter. You can argue if Chrom and Dark Samus were or not, due to no confirmation, but Richter and Simon were directly a result of the ballot.

Only 2 cannot be ballot-related(Incineroar and Joker, mainly because they didn't exist yet, but also because the fire cat was a Gen VII-related pick). PP is up in the air, but a lot doubt it got picked due to the ballot. Usually generic enemies don't get a lot of votes from fan perception unless they're either Pokemon or very iconic in their own right(as in mascot-iconic, not just super well known like PP is. So someone like Slime is more likely to get votes. Keep in mind while there is no evidence of this being for sure, there's also nothing to suggest this isn't the case. PP seems closer to Wii Fit Trainer in that regard, a huge surprise addition, though not exactly why the fauna got in).

Also, meant to type Ken, not Ryu, heh.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Not that much people voted in the ballot, so it would be a bad idea to pick the whole roster, solely from that. Plus, no Smash game only added most heavily requested characters, Ultimate isn't really unique in that regard.
Well I think another Ballot pick would have been better for the base roster than :ultincineroar:. They could have waited for DLC for the promotional picks.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well I think another Ballot pick would have been better for the base roster than :ultincineroar:. That could have wanted for DLC for the promotional picks.
How can you promote a finished game? S/M and US/UM was done by that point. It was base or nothing. There's nothing to promote. Never mind it wasn't even a promotional pick so much as saving a slot for a huge franchise that people think makes for great characters(which they are right, but that's beside the point).

Corrin was far more a promotional pick in comparison. Isabelle could've potentially been one for AC Switch, but I doubt that one. Seems it was more ballot and "all-star" related.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Well I think another Ballot pick would have been better for the base roster than :ultincineroar:.
I disagree. Incineorar is a really fun and unique character. You can't say any other character would be a better fighter just because they got more votes.

That could have wanted for DLC for the promotional picks.
You mean they could've use DLC for promotional characters? People still would've complain (like they did with Corrin) and it's not like Incineorar added to help the sales of Pokemon, his game's been out for quite a while now.

EDIT: :ultgreninja:'d

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I disagree. Incineorar is a really fun and unique character. You can't say any other character would be a better fighter just because they got more votes.

You mean they could've use DLC for promotional characters? People still would've complain (like they did with Corrin) and it's not like Incineorar added to help the sales of Pokemon, his game's been out for quite a while now.

EDIT: :ultgreninja:'d
I meant to say ''waited'' instead of ''wanted'' I edited it. Yes, promotional picks could have been DLC instead of base.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Reminder that we never learned the actual ballot results. There's a very real chance Isaac and Geno didn't place as high as a lot of us think they did.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Reminder that we never learned the actual ballot results. There's a very real chance Isaac and Geno didn't place as high as a lot of us think they did.
it's almost like the only people who responded to fan-made ballot polls were the diehard fans most likely to vote characters like Isaac, Geno and Banjo

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't know about Isaac for sure, but Geno definitely place high in the Smash Ballot because of his Mii costume from the last game. You can't tell me that they added a Geno Mii costume for any other reason as DLC.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I meant to say ''waited'' instead of ''wanted'' I edited it. Yes, promotional picks could have been DLC instead of base.
Again, Incineroar wasn't meant to promote anything. Pokemon had a slot saved for it instead because it was huge on its own merits. And if no Pokemon fancied Sakurai, it simply wouldn't have gotten a new rep. The games were well out before Smash finished. It was unrelated.

DLC can sometimes be promotional picks, but so far, Corrin is the sole example of that. Besides that, it's not even common in Smash. Roy was the only other one so far.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't know about Isaac for sure, but Geno definitely place high in the Smash Ballot because of his Mii costume from the last game. You can't tell me that they added a Geno Mii costume for any other reason as DLC.
We got a ton of Mii costumes, there's no way all of them scored highly in the ballot. Geno probably had a noticeable amount, but again, we don't know his placement against other characters.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
We got a ton of Mii costumes, there's no way all of them scored highly in the ballot. Geno probably had a noticeable amount, but again, we don't know his placement against other characters.
All I said was that Geno scored high in the Ballot and that is why he got his Mii costume in Smash 4.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
As for another point, I think sometimes we fans get too caught up on the idea of the roster being the perfect "celebration" or "museum" of gaming that we sometimes forget that Smash Brother's real focus is mostly just to be fun. It's a game first and a crossover second, even if it's a goshdang good crossover.

It's the reason we get characters like Piranha Plant. Sure PP has more legacy to its name then we give it credit for but I think we all know the real reason the devs picked it is because they wanted a fun, quirky moveset. And even if Sakurai had confirmed that Pokemon gets special treatment, I still totally believe him we he said he actually wanted to add a wrestler character.
Oh he and Isaac certainly had to have received some noticeable amount of support, but that doesn't mean they were in the same league as Riddles and K.Rool.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
My Internet was moving really slow and I double posted by mistake because of that. My Internet was moving so slow that I wasn't able to reload the page for another 30 minutes.

Oh he and Isaac certainly had to have received some noticeable amount of support, but that doesn't mean they were in the same league as Riddles and K.Rool.
That's true, but I think Banjo could still be in their league though.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
My Internet was moving really slow and I double posted by mistake because of that. My Internet was moving so slow that I wasn't able to reload the page for another 30 minutes.
I actually reported the post to be merged. :) You can report your own double posts as well for a merge/deletion(whatever makes sense at the time).

That's true, but I think Banjo could still be in their league though.
He isn't by the fact he's not currently relevant or from a relevant series. That's a league that made K. Rool and Ridley special as well. Think about why Isaac might've left out. His series is dormant right now. Look at the small roster we got. Notice how everyone is either 3rd party or from a currently active series? That's a key thing. This is part of why some get in and some don't. It doesn't apply to all, of course. Retros and surprise additions are different and get in on different philosophies. To note, it seems retro isn't referring to "a long time ago" so much as the NES/8-Bit era of games/designs. So Retroactive.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
As for another point, I think sometimes we fans get too caught up on the idea of the roster being the perfect "celebration" or "museum" of gaming that we sometimes forget that Smash Brother's real focus is mostly just to be fun. It's a game first and a crossover second, even if it's a goshdang good crossover.

It's the reason we get characters like Piranha Plant. Sure PP has more legacy to its name then we give it credit for but I think we all know the real reason the devs picked it is because they wanted a fun, quirky moveset. And even if Sakurai had confirmed that Pokemon gets special treatment, I still totally believe him we he said he actually wanted to add a wrestler character.
I don’t know. During DLC speculation around that time I remember them popping up a lot. They were like, top 10 requests for a lot of people.

I actually reported the post to be merged. :) You can report your own double posts as well for a merge/deletion(whatever makes sense at the time).

He isn't by the fact he's not currently relevant or from a relevant series. That's a league that made K. Rool and Ridley special as well. Think about why Isaac might've left out. His series is dormant right now. Look at the small roster we got. Notice how everyone is either 3rd party or from a currently active series? That's a key thing. This is part of why some get in and some don't. It doesn't apply to all, of course. Retros and surprise additions are different and get in on different philosophies. To note, it seems retro isn't referring to "a long time ago" so much as the NES/8-Bit era of games/designs. So Retroactive.
God I hate this mindset of “dead franchises”. You realize that Nintendo and Microsoft could bring them back whenever they wanted for whatever reason. They’re not like people where once they “die” they’re dead forever and nothing can ever be done with them. They’re more dormant than anything else.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
You know what?

There’s probably a good chance someone like Goku or Spider-Man placed high on the Ballot over a requested character from the community.

Not that I want that but who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom