• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
idk why you guys want mario to win

i personally love the idea of most video games characters being able to beat his ass lmao

thats why i want doomguy, cause its funny to imagine mario getting his guts ripped apart lmfao

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It's not like a fighting game where the specifics of gameplay are defiantly non-cannon. That is what the characters can do.
This is implying Mario is trying to kill the koopa.

He isn't. If he was, he could be capable of crushing the shell. We know in Mario Kart that the shell is capable of cracking, and has been cracked by Mario, but Mario has never intended to kill an enemy. Even when Goombas flatten, it does not mean death. Actual gameplay and snippits show that Goombas are only bruised and damaged.

Sonic can kill robots because they're robots and have literal animals trapped inside of them.

D

Deleted member

*Lurking noises*

*Lurking noises*

Also I do think Sonic would beat Mario if Mario can't use power-ups and since Sonic is so fast. But since Mario can use Fire without the Fire flower and can deal a lot of damage if he gets going Mario could win. It all comes down to who gets the first hit in and rack up damage If Sonic, sonic wins and vice versa.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
HOLD IT!

This is actually false. I've done this feat myself to determine whether or not this was an actual black hole. Let's look at the footage.

Right here, you see Mario get sucked into the black hole. And seconds later, you see him floating around in space. By the nature of black holes, Mario shouldn't have been ejected like it was a sci-fi wormhole. Ergo, this cannot be a real black hole.
OBJECTION!

You've provided another explanation, but can you prove it? This is the Mario universe. For all we know, the second Mario could be the result of a Double Cherry, or Mario respawning after using an extra life.​

NineS

Smash Lord
When you say "Counting the RPGs" does that include special attacks?

Because even if you remove attacks from M&L that can't be done without Luigi or any other outside help, that still leaves you with some pretty powerful attacks: Copy Flower and Clock Out (Emerald Star) stand out especially here.

We've also got SPM's flip mechanic to keep in mind. I know that Modern Sonic games have a lot of 2D to 3D segments, but that's just gameplay. Mario literally has the power to transfer between the 2nd and 3rd dimensions at will, and that could help him out a lot in a battle against Sonic. Restricting the fight to a 2D plane could benefit Mario greatly.

And even if we discount special attacks and flipping, and make this restricted ONLY to Mario's basic abilities, by including the RPGs, that means you're including TTYD's Super Guarding, which is a basic ability that Mario can perform from the start of the game. Superguarding causes Mario to obtain no damage, which the enemy take slight damage. So couldn't Mario just counter Sonic to death?
Base form attacks that do not require outside help or weren't temporary.

But this begs the question, what the heck is up with the Paper Mario series?
I remember it starting off as just being a regular Mario game. Not a game where everything is paper, but just stylized so it looked like it was so. Kind of like how Wind Waker is just Stylized to be Toony, but we know it's just an artstyle. They almost never acknowledged everyone being paper up until, Sticker Star I believe? It was a huge leap that made it confusing whether or not Paper Mario is the same as Regular Mario, and everything that happens to Regular Mario has also happened to Paper Mario. I remember in Color Splash, Bowser acknowledges the kart-racing games, so that would mean there's a hypothetical Paper Mario Kart?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
how the **** is mario party non-canon?

mario doesnt even have a true canon, it has lore for baby-era mario but nothing else.
Well, I was talking about the canon of a different fight, Sonya vs. Cammy.

But within the context of Mario continuity if we're treating this like a real fight, we can't use spin-offs and party games that don't try to take place within the mainline games as evidence. It's a minigame in a party game in which Waluigi, Daisy, Mario and a goddamn Boo can run away from a singularity for fun together on a Saturday night.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
This is implying Mario is trying to kill the koopa.

He isn't. If he was, he could be capable of crushing the shell. We know in Mario Kart that the shell is capable of cracking, and has been cracked by Mario, but Mario has never intended to kill an enemy. Even when Goombas flatten, it does not mean death. Actual gameplay and snippits show that Goombas are only bruised and damaged.

Sonic can kill robots because they're robots and have literal animals trapped inside of them.
Bull ****ing ****. That is the single stupidest copout I have ever seen.

Mod Edit: Let the censors do their job on their own please.

Last edited by a moderator:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
That Sonya thing was crap. To be fair they also used the car for Cammy, equally bull. Sonya vs. Cammy always felt like a rushed one to me. Like it was just a quick stop gap between other "more important" fights.

Plus, they use multiple different writers with who interperet the rules in different ways some times. They've craked down on it recently, but you used to be able to really tell which one was written by Sam and which one was written by Nick.
I honestly didn't know there were different writers. But it explains the different trains of logic various episodes use.

I'm not necessarily of the opinion that Cammy should have won, but the evidence they used to arrive to their conclusion was bad. It's always stuck in my mind as, like, the worst Death Battle I can remember.

Last edited:

NineS

Smash Lord
OBJECTION!

You've provided another explanation, but can you prove it? This is the Mario universe. For all we know, the second Mario could be the result of a Double Cherry, or Mario respawning after using an extra life.​
The same argument can be made about the black hole itself, saying how can you prove that this black hole isn't merely a far weaker black hole than one we're familiar with seeing as this is a Mario-Universe Black hole.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
OBJECTION!

TAKE THAT!

Black holes have been given theories to whether or not to be portals to other places, but however we absolutely know that black holes are collapsed thingamajigs that have an absence of light. Wherever you're going, you can never find out the certainty because you'd be dead.

However, you're arguing that we can apply our own statistics to what you're referring to as toon force. Toon force cannot be applied to our real stats because of their exaggerated characteristics.

Bull f**king s**t. That is the single stupidest copout I have ever seen.
That isn't an argument you're just being angry.

Well, I was talking about the canon of a different fight, Sonya vs. Cammy.
death battle is totally bull, lol

they rarely even use the strongest of the feats of a character

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Base form attacks that do not require outside help or weren't temporary.

But this begs the question, what the heck is up with the Paper Mario series?
I remember it starting off as just being a regular Mario game. Not a game where everything is paper, but just stylized so it looked like it was so. Kind of like how Wind Waker is just Stylized to be Toony, but we know it's just an artstyle. They almost never acknowledged everyone being paper up until, Sticker Star I believe? It was a huge leap that made it confusing whether or not Paper Mario is the same as Regular Mario, and everything that happens to Regular Mario has also happened to Paper Mario. I remember in Color Splash, Bowser acknowledges the kart-racing games, so that would mean there's a hypothetical Paper Mario Kart?
Then Super Guarding definitely does count, because it's not temporary, and Mario has it from the beginning to the end of the game.

So Mario could theoretically Super Guard Sonic to death. It'd be slow and tedious, but possible.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Wait, are we discussing it for real this time?

:cheep:...:halfsheep:...:emptysheep:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think the real question we should be asking is whether or not Mario has Cappy in the given fight.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
TAKE THAT!

Black holes have been given theories to whether or not to be portals to other places, but however we absolutely know that black holes are collapsed thingamajigs that have an absence of light. Wherever you're going, you can never find out the certainty because you'd be dead.

However, you're arguing that we can apply our own statistics to what you're referring to as toon force. Toon force cannot be applied to our real stats because of their exaggerated characteristics.

The strongest feats of the character are often not the ones that are the easiest to explain. But they do consider and math out everything. Watch their podcast. Not only do they give direct answers to most of the questions you imediatly think of, but you get a good idea of the work and process that goes into an episode.

NineS

Smash Lord
Looks like I really got an argument going.
Time to start another!

ahem.
Fire Emblem needs more waifus and Awakening may just be the best Fire Emblem game there is. Also, Sonic 06 was the best Sonic game and the Wii U was fantastic.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The strongest feats of the character are often not the ones that are the easiest to explain. But they do consider and math out everything. Watch their podcast. Not only do they give direct answers to most of the questions you imediatly think of, but you get a good idea of the work and process that goes into an episode.
No, they don't.

They tell you how they do it, but they don't ever give you the context. They go "oh so according to measurements blah blah", but they never explain why they do such things or if it's the correct form of measurement in the first place. Hell, they even steal calcs sometimes. One of my friends actually got their calcs bamboozled from them from Mega Man vs Astro Boy and they didnt do jack **** for credit.

That's why I think a lot of earthquake calcs done from anime and manga are incorrect. They use the Richter scale, but in actuality Japan uses the JMA scale, which is totally different.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Time to start another!

ahem.
Fire Emblem needs more waifus and Awakening may just be the best Fire Emblem game there is. Also, Sonic 06 was the best Sonic game and the Wii U was fantastic.
One of these is true

osby

Smash Obsessed
Time to start another!

ahem.
But Awakening is really a contender for being the best Fire Emblem game. There, I said it.

NineS

Smash Lord
But Awakening is really a contender for being the best Fire Emblem game. There, I said it.
Well, I actually do agree and legitimately think that bit. But I said it with a hint of irony because I know on here that's an unpopular opinion for some reason.

Another example of unpopular Fire Emblem opinions on here are: "I like Corrin as a character." "Fire Emblem Fates was good tbh", and "Fire Emblem isn't being over-represented, it's being misrepresented."

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I've been trying to think of equal fights for my favorite high profile characters but I honestly can't think of good ones. My best idea (Daredevil vs. Nightwing) they finally did. And it was bull**** go team DD.

But I don't know who'd be a good match for Motoko Kusanagi (Alita's the first I think of but she'd win easy), Jill Valentine (can't put her against any other survival horror female protagonist because she can do backflips and climb walls now and ****), Kenshin Himura (in terms of overpowered anime swordsmen, he's way too grounded and will lose to any of them) or Marcus Fenix (he's just a dude with a gun; it's basically the Master Chief/Doomguy fight only he's not as overpowered as either of them).

Actually, now that I think about it, could The Major have an even-ish match with 2B? NineS NineS ?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Well, I actually do agree and legitimately think that bit. But I said it with a hint of irony because I know on here that's an unpopular opinion for some reason.
no you got awakening confused with fates

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The same argument can be made about the black hole itself, saying how can you prove that this black hole isn't merely a far weaker black hole than one we're familiar with.
Umm excuse me I only speak in Ace Attorney gifs. Sorry.

The burden of proof lies with him, for he attempted to prove that it wasn't a black hole with faulty evidence.
TAKE THAT!

HOLD IT!

The laws of the Mushroom World must come into play here, as we have no reason to believe that Mario Party 6 exists in an alternate continuity. As such, if we consider it part of the prime Mario timeline, then it exists in the same continuity as 3D World, where the Double Cherry appears. Therefore, we cannot prove that the two Marios are, in fact, the same Mario, which is crucial to your counterargument. This is not toon force, but a law of the universe Mario resides in: a constant.

The updated autopsy report shows that the original Mario died in that black hole, and that the one meandering through the vacuum was, indeed, a Double Cherry copy.​

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
No, they don't.

They tell you how they do it, but they don't ever give you the context. They go "oh so according to measurements blah blah", but they never explain why they do such things or if it's the correct form of measurement in the first place. Hell, they even steal calcs sometimes. One of my friends actually got their calcs bamboozled from them from Mega Man vs Astro Boy and they didnt do jack **** for credit.

That's why I think a lot of earthquake calcs done from anime and manga are incorrect. They use the Richter scale, but in actuality Japan uses the JMA scale, which is totally different.
Watch. Their. Podcast. They do way more math than they can fit into the episode and still make it actually, entertaining.

And come on. You can't steal math. If they need to calculate a specific feat there's only one way they can do it. Math is math.

NineS

Smash Lord
I've been trying to think of equal fights for my favorite high profile characters but I honestly can't think of good ones. My best idea (Daredevil vs. Nightwing) they finally did. And it was bull**** go team DD.

But I don't know who'd be a good match for Motoko Kusanagi (Alita's the first I think of but she'd win easy), Jill Valentine (can't put her against any other survival horror female protagonist because she can do backflips and climb walls now and ****), Kenshin Himura (in terms of overpowered anime swordsmen, he's way too grounded and will lose to any of them) or Marcus Fenix (he's just a dude with a gun; it's basically the Master Chief/Doomguy fight only he's not as overpowered as either of them).

Actually, now that I think about it, could The Major have an even-ish match with 2B? NineS NineS ?
Perhaps.
Just one question.

Who's Major? Or what Major?

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It just depends on what you want from a Fire Emblem game. I can see arguments for and against it pretty clearly.

It's my personal favorite though, if for no other reason than the replayability and the fact that it's my favorite cast of characters top to bottom.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Hey, does anyone know how to make those "Anyone is Here" banners I see in some peoples' signature?

I rather have something interesting there instead of just stock images of characters I play.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Perhaps.
Just one question.

Who's Major? Or what Major?
C'mon man! The Major!!

For anyone who still doesn't know, it's Major Kusanagi from the Ghost in the Shell series of manga/anime. Go be cultured and read/watch something from it, damn.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

That's the problem with vs. debates. When you prefer one specific character over the other, you often times cannot be convinced that they would not win. It's a combination of unfamiliarity with the opponent and "over-familiarity" with the one you're rooting for.

They've said countless times how upset they've been that they've had to kill off a character they personally prefer because they have to stay objective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom