• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Meanwhile, Elmer's encounter with Big Chungus, has got him ready for any tough opponent...

Elmo's a whole 'nother beast, entirely, though

And of course, ELMA HAS A GUN! No... wait... SHE HAS TWO GUNS!
canon power levels

velma>elmo>elmer=elma

elmo has been shown to not hold back due to his various sociopathic tendencies, luring people into a false sense of security before striking out with his various forms of physical, mental, and biological warfare

D

Deleted member

I go back and forth on whether or not I'm okay with more FE in Smash. Some days I'm alright with the idea, and then there are days I consider it almost has as many characters as Pokemon and that's honestly kind of ridiculous to me. Granted, I know why there are so many: FE is big in Japan, the characters are incredibly easy to make considering three of them are based on another character, the movesets write themselves and it brings in the animu money.

Before anyone gives me flack for saying these things: I like FE. I really do. But the amount of attention it's received in Smash gets a little old sometimes, especially when one considers franchises like Kirby and stinkin' Zelda got left out again for newcomers. This isn't about "reps" for me either: I simply would like more variety this go around. If another FE character happens, I will welcome them as long as they are fun to play, but it would honestly go down as one of the sasfest and most boring things Smash has ever done for me. All I ask is that some other franchises get some love.
The Yoshi series and F-Zero needs more love.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I know that there's no such thing as a universally liked character, but I feel that if Poochy got in nobody would be mad.
Oh, trust me, if a character is neither Geno or Banjo, people will get mad, regardless.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I know that there's no such thing as a universally liked character, but I feel that if Poochy got in nobody would be mad.
it's because he's too damn cute

he's like a slightly lesser version of isabelle

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Reminder that people got mad at Isabelle because she wasn't Geno or Banjo.
It's weird, I remember Isaac fans in particulat being super pissed about it. Not sure why it was Isaac fans, maybe it was because they thought the direct was delayed because of him having earth powers? idk

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Heck, at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if people got mad at Ridley and K. Rool, because they weren't Geno or Banjo

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I got mad. But I was expecting her. The only reason I was mad at her was because she was the ONLY reveal in a direct we had waited an extra week for. I know, I let my own expectations grow to much. But still, Isabelle is not the kind of character you reveal by herself. She should have been together with someone like K. Rool or even the Kencineroar trailer.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

People get mad at everything, honestly.

They could announce Geno and Banjo at this point and people would still be upset. You can't please anyone anymore.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Lol.
I didn’t get mad.
Maybe you and I didn't, but trust me, Isabelle's reveal was very controversial.

It didn't help that it was delayed a week, due to the earthquake, making her very underwhelming for a lot of people

I was perfectly fine with secretary doggo, though

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Heck, at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if people got mad at Ridley and K. Rool, because they weren't Geno or Banjo
That’s completely rediculous! I feel like none of you experienced the same Smash culture pre-Ultimate that I did. The four characters at the tops of everyone’s lists were Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo, and Geno. Everyone wanted them, or at least agreed that they should be here. So no. I doubt people got mad at Ridley and K. Rool because they weren’t Geno and Banjo.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
So I was toying around with the idea of Classic Mode themes with unplayable/unconfirmed characters:

Dragonborn - The Dragon War: Battles baser against reptilian/dragon-related characters
  1. Bowser
  2. Yoshi
  3. Pokémon Trainer (Charizard)
  4. King K Rool
  5. Ridley
  6. Corrin
  7. Rathalos
Scorpion - Finish Them: Based on color swaps of the MK Ninjas of characters who have appeared in at least one fighting game.

1. Ken (Ermac) (SF)
  2. Cloud (Noob Sabot) (Ergheiz)
  3. Purple Lucario (Rain) (Pokken)
  4. White Donkey Kong (Smoke) (Punch-Out)
  5. Green Hoody Little Mac (Reptile) (Same)
  6. Blue Kirby (Sub-Zero) (Kirby battle game forget the name)
  7. Dracula
Isaac - Battle of the Blondes: Battles involving blonde haired characters

Yellow Inkling
Zero Suit Samus and Peach
Blonde Pit
Link, Young Link, Toon Link
Sheik and Zelda
Shulk
Ganon

osby

Smash Obsessed
I got mad. But I was expecting her. The only reason I was mad at her was because she was the ONLY reveal in a direct we had waited an extra week for. I know, I let my own expectations grow to much. But still, Isabelle is not the kind of character you reveal by herself. She should have been together with someone like K. Rool or even the Kencineroar trailer.
Isabelle was infinitely more hype for me than Ridley and K.Rool combined.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
That’s completely rediculous! I feel like none of you experienced the same Smash culture pre-Ultimate that I did. The four characters at the tops of everyone’s lists were Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo, and Geno. Everyone wanted them, or at least agreed that they should be here. So no. I doubt people got mad at Ridley and K. Rool because they weren’t Geno and Banjo.
Relax, it was a joke...

Am I not allowed to make jokes, here?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Technically 7 SE characters were leaked by Verge, he thinks Erdrick is the most likely out of them since he heard his name the most but it could be any of them

IIRC they were Erdrick, Sephiroth, Sora, Geno, Crono, Slime, and Luminary
Ok, revised list (and with one more rumor I remembered)

Erdrick
Sephiroth
Sora
Geno
Crono
Slime
Luminary

Steve Minecraft
Ryu Hyabusa
Doomguy

Edelgard
Sylux

Banjo Kazooie
Shantae
Rayman

So 15 characters for 4 slots (well, 7 for one and 8 for the other 3) that's some healthy speculation material.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think rumors carry more weight for us because we comment and participate on a forum that is mainly based on our game, Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

In any other situation, a rumor would be “meh”. Or at least for anyone who isn’t as into it.

After all, the fact of the matter is that any one person can post something on the internet with no context or proof. A person posted that Doomguy and Steve are in the game. That’s it. Sure, Verge and Hitagi had their 15 minutes, but there was much confusion about it, and even then, this was a different source for Verge than the information he already had about Dragon Quest.

I really think people here are overestimating Steve.

D

Deleted member

It was delayed because Japan suffered from a horrible earthquake that caused not only major infrastructure damage, but also loss of life. I do not know why some thought Nintendo being respectful and holding off was a sign that the reveal "must be big" or was any reason to hype it up.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Relax, it was a joke...

Am I not allowed to make jokes, here?
Sorry. It’s just weird to hear these kinds of things. Honestly, I don’t like SMRPG. I don’t like Mario, I don’t like RPGs. But I want Geno because the call for his inclusion was almost so universal and I got sold on this weird celestial puppet.

I played Banjo-Kazooie for the first time because of his Smash requests. I wanted to see what the hype was about. And it became one of my favorite games of all time. And I joined in the choir of people asking for Banjo. The idea that we’re potentially so close to him is maddening. The fact that people are actively supporting Steve over Banjo feels like a betrayal of all that culture. We have every reason to believe the Banjo campaign is what got the two companies talking in the first place. Going with Steve, simply because his game has sold so much more, feels like a betrayal of everything that came before. Like they didn’t understand the point.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
In a case of nested "needs more love" the character themes in F-Zero GX are amazing (Amazingly cheesey or just plain old amazing, depending on your tastes)

D

Deleted member

Sorry. It’s just weird to hear these kinds of things. Honestly, I don’t like SMRPG. I don’t like Mario, I don’t like RPGs. But I want Geno because the call for his inclusion was almost so universal and I got sold on this weird celestial puppet.

I played Banjo-Kazooie for the first time because of his Smash requests. I wanted to see what the hype was about. And it became one of my favorite games of all time. And I joined in the choir of people asking for Banjo. The idea that we’re potentially so close to him is maddening. The fact that people are actively supporting Steve over Banjo feels like a betrayal of all that culture. We have every reason to believe the Banjo campaign is what got the two companies talking in the first place. Going with Steve, simply because his game has sold so much more, feels like a betrayal of everything that came before. Like they didn’t understand the point.
It all comes down to personal preference. Someone not liking the same thing as you isn't a personal attack or "disrespecting culture", it's just differing tastes.

I could care less how well MC has sold or how popular Steve is: I want him more than Banjo because I have a stronger connection to Steve than I do Banjo. I grew up with MC and played that thing for hundreds of hours, while I wasn't around for B&K and have zero nostalgia for it (Nuts and Bolts is the only one I have played). I personally think Steve would be a more interesting choice based on move set potential alone, but that is simply my opinion.

osby

Smash Obsessed
This is just your point of view. What "betrayal" are you talking about? Simply more people liked Minecraft than people who even played Banjo-Kazooie.

They’re the same thing
Nah, they're talking about generic white haired girl Corrin.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

I don't get why wanting characters in due to their legacy status, is a bad thing, when it's literally why most of the third party characters in Smash even got in, in the first place.

Steve is a legacy character, you really can't deny it.

Minecraft is a worldwide phenomenon that started as a small indie project, and ended up becoming one of the faces of modern day video games, and gaming as a whole...

If that's not eligible for Smash, I don't what is

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

One word...

VERGEBEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom