• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
People are ignoring the fact that what makes a good villain isn't that what he's doing IS right, it's that the villain sees himself as doing the right thing. It doesn't matter what other solutions there was to the situation. Thanos, in his mind, was a prophet who predicted the fall of his world and could have saved it if the others would've listened to him. It's not about his success being the most logical thing to do it's about him being unable to cope with the failure that was Titan. His plan would've worked, in his mind, for Titan. Everywhere else? Who knows? But to him it only mattered that that happened to Titan. In his mind if it could've worked for Titan it would work anywhere.

And on the Time Stone. You have to think that at the point Thanos and Strange had their first encounter he already had the Space Stone. Space and Time are two equal opposites so if Strange were to use the Time Stone Thanos could have folded space around Starnge to prevent the Time Stone from even working. Not to mention Time is a figment of Reality and Thanos had the Reality stone at this point as well. So, hm, Reality, Space, Soul, and Power versus Time? Yeah, it wouldn't have worked. Strange new that.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Even then there were still other opportunities the heroes had to winning but I'll stop here now.

Still an enjoyable movie even if really flawed.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I feel like I’m shouting at a wall. You guys would really honestly want more generic enemies with no personality over characters who headline their own game or have an established identity. You’d take Shy Guy over Sylux? You’d take Metroid over Crash Bandicoot? Really?
I would take Shy Guy over Sylux in a heart beat. I like Shy Guys, I don't care about Sylux, a currently one-off character from Metroid that most people wouldn't even know and has the bare minimum when it comes to personality...part of his thing is very little being known about him outside of him having a hatred for the Federation but not the reason why he has it.
Shy Guy also has a lot of moveset potential due to its many different Sub-Species such as Stilt Guys, Spear Guys, Snifits, etc whereas Sylux has less to work off of (though they could still make a unique moveset for him, don't get me wrong).
When it comes to a game like Smash, moveset potential is more important then personality.
Solaire of Astora
I..actually had to look up who that was..though I know the character from appearance..what moveset potential do they have outside of normal sword/weapon swings? Does magic exist in Dark Souls?
I really hope you're not implying what I think you are...

But for real though, there aren't a lot of "generic enemy" characters that would excite me, but Shy Guy is one of them. Easily.
Same here..Shy Guy would also be a great rep for the Yoshi series, giving Yoshi another character.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
people actin like captain marvel gonna beat thanos to a pulp when really its gonna be ant man

theyre hyping him up too much

Noipoi

Howdy!
I've been super into Donkey Kong Country and Earthbound recently. I'm getting Tropical Freeze soon, but I can't find Mother 3 anywhere.

D

Deleted member

I do agree that they could've made Thanos more like his Comic counterpart but the MCU has never been all that Comic Accurate as while they do adapt the Comic stories, that's exactly what they do they adapt the movies instead of making Carbon Copies as some Comics or some parts of Comics wouldn't translate well to film.

Look at Civil War the movie changed up a lot from it's Comic Counterpart like removing the Character's owned by Fox and they didn't reveal Spidey's identity like they did in the Comics as again it's an Adaptation and not a Carbon Copy which is why I'm alright with how they handled Thanos, the movie definitely has it's flaws but it's an amazing film regardless.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
BTW know what would be a cool twist revealed in the post-credits of Avengers 4. Galactus being revealed as the reason for Thanos' goal. Given that Thanos mentions that overpopulation is what killed his planet. My idea for Galactus is when a planet suffers from overpopulation. The universe signals him to take care of it. That's why Thanos was so bent on wiping out 50% of life because he wanted to spare other civilizations from the same fate as his people did given said world-devouring entity traumatized him. It'd also be a good way to introducing Galactus into the MCU and maybe the next Big Bad.

Some may point out "If that was the case why didn't Thanos snap Galactus away". That's simple really. Simply just have Galactus being older then the universe itself like his comic counterpart and so the stones have no effect on him or could even have him being even more powerful then the stones.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
i have a headcanon plot for endgame actually. may sound dumb but think about it:

tony is starving af right now
thanos is being a farmer right now
if you farm youre gonna farm food

we really are in the endgame

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Agreed and in the end we get yet again another damn sympathetic villain which we've seen so many times before with a really weak and cliche goal. Basically it was all Ultron again but on a much grander scale.
I mean, to be fair, there aren't that many sympathetic villains in the Marvel movies to begin with. Offhand, outside of Thanos there's the Vulture, Killmonger, and Loki with the rest being varying levels of bland or effective, but not relatable. You can definitely disagree with how Thanos was handled, but him being a repetitive archetype within his universe is not a problem with him and he's actually pretty unique among the MCU.

Noipoi

Howdy!
i have a headcanon plot for endgame actually. may sound dumb but think about it:

tony is starving af right now
thanos is being a farmer right now
if you farm youre gonna farm food

we really are in the endgame
Tony's not tryin to save the world, he's after this dude's crops.

D

Deleted member

My question is once Thanos is gone, who will replace him?
Thanos was the primary villain that tied it all. They will probably tease another villain or Thanos coming back, but who knows.
At least we see more Thanos in Avengers 4.

D

Deleted member

I'm not an expert movie analyst, but I'm not sure they intended to make Thanos himself sympathetic, just his goal. Overpopulation and resource scarcity are actual, real life concerns that we may need to address in the very near future. Thanos wanting to solve that is somewhat admirable, but the way he wants to go about it is the absolute worst solution possible, and he's too wrapped up in his own delusion and pride to consider any less omnicidal alternatives.
Problem is the movie doesn't really try much to frame Thanos as anything but justified.
People are ignoring the fact that what makes a good villain isn't that what he's doing IS right, it's that the villain sees himself as doing the right thing. It doesn't matter what other solutions there was to the situation. Thanos, in his mind, was a prophet who predicted the fall of his world and could have saved it if the others would've listened to him. It's not about his success being the most logical thing to do it's about him being unable to cope with the failure that was Titan. His plan would've worked, in his mind, for Titan. Everywhere else? Who knows? But to him it only mattered that that happened to Titan. In his mind if it could've worked for Titan it would work anywhere.
You know what they say, "Everyone is the hero of their own story."
Thanos was the primary villain that tied it all. They will probably tease another villain or Thanos coming back, but who knows.
Well now that Disney owns Fox...
GIVE US DR. DOOM YOU ****ING COWARDS

D

Deleted member

I've been super into Donkey Kong Country and Earthbound recently. I'm getting Tropical Freeze soon, but I can't find Mother 3 anywhere.
oh man, Mother 3 is fantastic! One of my favorite games I've played to this day and I highly suggest you play it. Though you can't find it in Store or anything as it's never been officially released outside of Japan so if you have a Computer you should look online for a rom of it which you could find here

Noipoi

Howdy!
oh man, Mother 3 is fantastic! One of my favorite games I've played to this day and I highly suggest you play it. Though you can't find it in Store or anything as it's never been officially released outside of Japan so if you have a Computer you should look online for a rom of it which you could find here
Um...that's just the translation patch.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Even then there were still other opportunities the heroes had to winning but I'll stop here now.

Still an enjoyable movie even if really flawed.
"Stopped" sure but as Strange said "it was the only way." If there was a way before or after that point in time to prevent Thanos from achieving his goal Strange would've saw it and capitalized on it but he knew everything had to play out exactly the way Strange made it. No one else noticed that Strange didn't stop Mantis? Or Quill? Or Thanos from stabbing Tony? Or the fact that he never tried to kill Thanos? Only restrain him?

Out of the 14,000,605 realities and timelines that Strange saw the ONLY way they could really REALLY win was the way the movie played out exactly. Do we know why? No. But that doesn't matter because everything comes back to that one line by Strange. "It was the only way". It was the only way to make sure Scott ended up in the Quantum Realm, ot was the only way Nick Fury would contact Carol Danvers, it was the only way they could win. The whole movie comes down to the choices Strange made at the end. He made the one way they win their reality.

D

Deleted member

The overuse of simple things gets boring and unoriginal after a while though. Hurrah for unoriginality!
There's hardly anything that's original, especially without coming off as convoluted or confusing, it has to have some familiarity. What matters is how it's executed.
Doctor Strange was still rather underpowered in this film compared to this solo film.

He could had used the time stone to turn Thanos into a baby, or use his cape to cover Thanos' hand where the gauntlet lies then summon a portal beneath his feet before chopping his hand off with the gauntlet, rewinding time when Star-Lord screwed things up thanks to Mantis and Nebula not knocking him out, etc.

That's what frustrates me about this movie. So many opportunities the heroes could had won but purposely avoided so Avengers 4 would happened.
Again you're conflating movie strange with comic book strange. The latter being far more overpowered even on the weaker side. Most things are nerfed down in marvel movies. The comics are honestly much more faulty when it comes to consistent power scaling. Strange has taken much more humiliating defeats in the comics, so surely a Thanos with a near complete gauntlet isn't that bad of a loss.

Thanos should have just been the conqueror he was set up to be.
Yes, because if there was one thing Marvel movies didn't have before, it's a bunch of evil conquers... I also don't think being a sympathetic villain(which is an oxymoron since they're the villain, so of course you're not suppose to completely sympathize with them.) is the greatest or original thing ever really. And I think conquer villains can be really good, but I don't think Thanos should have just been that.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Since were currently on this.

Mind if I ask what everyone's favorite movies are?

Mine would have to be the Heisei Gamera Trilogy. No movies IMO will ever top those.

Others would be Godzilla (1954), Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2, Fast & Furious movies, Kong: Skull Island, Mulan, The Brave Little Toaster and The Prince of Egypt.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
On one hand, I'd like to see them go with something more grounded, as opposed to ramping up the threat level with every movie - something like Norman Osborn and the Dark Avengers, or the Masters of Evil, could work. (We've got Abomination somewhere in the MCU)

Alternatively, there's Doctor Doom or Galactus now that they have the Fantastic Four film rights back.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
There's hardly anything that's original, especially without coming off as convoluted or confusing, it has to have some familiarity. What matters is how it's executed.
I guess someone never saw Get Out. That was a pretty original movie if you ask me.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Mine would have to be the Heisei Gamera Trilogy. No movies IMO will ever top those.

Others would be Godzilla (1954), Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2, Fast & Furious movies, Kong: Skull Island, Mulan, The Brave Little Toaster and The Prince of Egypt.
Hmmm... Let's see...

WALL-E
The Princess Bride
Singin' in the Rain
The Prince of Egypt
Zootopia
Toy Story 2
Ratatouille

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The Thing, Alien, Leatherface, the Back to the Future trilogy, Toy Story 2, and The Incredibles.
The new IT is making it's way up there for me too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Also love my giant monster movies. Godzilla films, Gamera films, King Kong films, Gorgo, The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, etc. as well as killer animal flicks with my favorite being Alligator (1980).

Also love Reign of Fire for its unique premise. It alone is my favorite post-apocalyptic movie. Then there's Krampus which is a guilty pleasure of mine and favorite Christmas film.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
On one hand, I'd like to see them go with something more grounded, as opposed to ramping up the threat level with every movie - something like Norman Osborn and the Dark Avengers, or the Masters of Evil, could work. (We've got Abomination somewhere in the MCU)

Alternatively, there's Doctor Doom or Galactus now that they have the Fantastic Four film rights back.
Stakes really can't get any higher than Thanos now if you ask me.

Unless Doom becomes God Doom, nothing can get on the whole universal level if you ask me.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Not an exhaustive list by any means...

Terminator
Blade Runner
Pulp Fiction
The Land Before Time :yoshi:
Up
Evil Dead II

D

Deleted member

Um...that's just the translation patch.
Oh sorry about that here's an actual link to it but you do need the Translation patch and apply it to the game. which the Translation patch download should have instructions for if you don't already know how to do it.

D

Deleted member

I guess someone never saw Get Out. That was a pretty original movie if you ask me.
On the whole, yes. What it's made up of? Definitely not. But it's extremely hard to find any movie that's ahead of the ideas of culture itself. Which is why every piece of media falls under many different tropes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom