• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Oh boy, is it that time? Yep, it's that time again!

View attachment 190705

"But it came from a guy that has apparently gotten Smash stuff right before", that right there is the problem. Various insiders have been in the know of Smash (not contained just to Ultimate), but not to mention they also gotten a lot of stuff wrong. "Square rep will be revealed first", "January 2017 Switch Presentation's lineup is all wrong", Metroid Prime Trilogy reveal, Katalina, what have you.

The reason I still bring up these moments is to keep expectations in check, remember what past history we've had, and still be on a ground level. It's not really anything to go off of just that alone, as the person for all we know could be Vergeben's second cousin. That's the problem with being mostly anonymous. We need them receipts, my boy. We need a full repertoire of what this guy has gotten right and what he's gotten wrong. And not to mention, this really just feels like piggybacking off of so many other regurgitated "leaks" that we have seen so many times before.

Gimme a image that's hard to break, gimme a video that's hard to call fake. After the August Direct and The Game Awards, we can't just go off willy-nilly time and time again. I know it's best for conversation, sure, but it's also best to temper expectations and not cause another blowout like what happened with the November Direct, that's really where I'm coming from when I critique these "leaks". To be clear, this isn't aimed at you, NSG, this is aimed towards the "leak" itself.
My conclusion: Leaks are garbage.
The bedbugs are going to be DLC
KEEP YOUR BEDS CLEAN.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Another thing that makes Thanos' goal so stupid. What's stopping him from just making infinite resources like more planets and such? Better option then wiping out 50% of life due to finite resources.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Let me try this again...

For me it goes...

1. Yoshi
2. Luigi
3. Bowser
4. Wario
5. Rosalina
6. Toad
7. Daisy
8. Waluigi
9. Peach
10. Mario

To anyone wondering where Boshi is, this is for reoccurring characters only. Think of him as a part of the Yoshi species instead...
Apparently invisible post

Roberk

Smash Champion
I'm still kicking myself in laughter that...

If Brave really IS Erdrick, then Leakypanda of all people could have been right.

Considering we know Joker and Erdrick(Assumed to be Brave) are being worked on at the same time, they 'could' have moved TGA reveal for all we know.

We'll literally never know.
I swear there's a Sakurai quote about how Joker wasn't initially supposed to be revealed at the VGA's but Nintendo put him there.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I hate Thanos' goals. 10 years to building him up and all we get is loloverpopulation? Doesn't help too they do the whole sympathetic villain crap about because its not like we haven't seen that before...

MCU Thanos seemed so different from comic Thanos he could be an different character. Should had given that goal to another character instead.
The one thing that gets me...

If Thanos now has power over all reality, why doesn't he just create unlimited resources and space?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I really like Black Panther too

Not as good as Infinity War though imo
Yeah Black Panther was really good and was a pretty great movie but IW is just so Epic and was the Conclusion to 10 years of build-up so for how Great BP is I personally think IW is just Better.

D

Deleted member

- Main character with a sad backstory only for the sake of drama
- Palette swap evil counterpart
- Musclemen being dumb for no reason
- Skimpy clothed females while males dress normally
- Useless mascot character
All of these are really good additions but may I call attention to useless mascot character because good god those reaply make an otherwise good story into something really annoying and unfun.
Morgana is somewhat that and ****ing Uni from DnD aka Caverna do Dragão
Admittedly I’m kinda guilty of having this in mind for the lead of an animated series concept I’m working on. Her grandmother was a highly respected leader and warrior who’s death (potentially) ending up changing the status quo of the world big time, but I want my lead to learn to stop worrying about living up to her grandmother’s legacy and focus on forging her own story.
I mean it more in the way Naruto handles things(a lot of that list is because of Naruto tbh) considering both Naruto and Sasuke are the most important and powerful people in-universe simply because of who they are related to and it's used to create this (maybe unintentional) notion that you can only achieve something great if you are rekllated to someone who was and if you aren't then yiu're just out of luck.
Which us basically my one issue with Rose being Pink Diamond as Steven could never have convinced the Diamonds otherwise.

If it's used to actually explore parental expectations and such, it can be a really good trope as, after all, "Tropes Are Tools".
It's just that we Brazilians have been raised with dirty minds :p
I think using it is acceptable when talking directly to another person of the same nationality, just try not using only 3 Ks because of obvious reasons.
I didn't know Graizen was Brazilian too. I think that may be related to how much he likes Agumon.
Him bringing it up is what started this actually lol
And I basically said the same thing about his love for Digimon.

D

Deleted member

I don't think you're reading his sentiment right.

He's more coming from the:

"It's Square Enix, the same Square Enix with 2 Final Fantasy songs and 0 Spirits outside of Cloud, and we've yet to see what Erdrick will bring with him."
Exactly, these are what my main qualms are with any Square Enix reps. If we get actual variety in Dragon Quest music, then I'll be more lenient on them, but I just can't help but feel very cautious with what we've had before.

They can VERY much skim past every single Dragon Quest game on the Famicom, Super Famicom and just put in the Main Overture Theme and something from Dragon Quest XI or whatever, and that could very well be the case. Or, we could have Dragon Quest V music and everyone will be happy.

D

Deleted member

If Thanos now has power over all reality, why doesn't he just create unlimited resources and space?
Oh, I know this one. The Russo Bros themselves laid it out for us.
TL:DR It's because that isn't what Thanos wants. He could easily create infinite resources, but at this point it's less about saving the universe and more about proving himself right.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
At this point just drop the Direct and the 2nd DLC character reveal.

I know they probably won't be available to purchase until April/May, but,

The sooner we know who 'Brave' is, theoretically the easier speculation becomes. IF Dragon Quest(Again, assuming Brave is Erdrick) has an actual substantial amount of content, then speculation may get interesting.

D

Deleted member

Doctor Strange using his "I've come to bargain"
tbh this is a really annoying misconception

the reason it worked on dormammu is because dormammu didn't have a concept of time, and was therefore unaware that he was in a loop. from his perspective he just kept killing strange but strange just kept on coming back over and over and over for millions of years

thanos, being a mortal being and therefore having a concept of time, would be aware that he was in a loop and from his perspective he would kill strange, and then time would reverse and thanos would conpletely forget so he would kill him again, repeat ad infinitum. it would have no effect.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Oh, I know this one. The Russo Bros themselves say that it's because that isn't what Thanos wants. He could easily create infinite resources, but at this point it's less about saving the universe and more about proving himself right.
So... Thanos destroys half the universe's population simply because he wants to be right?
And we are supposed to sympathize with him? That just makes him horribly petty.

D

Deleted member

Like still they had over 10 years to building him up and the best they can come up with is such a simple goal like that? I felt really letdown thinking it was gonna be very in-depth, unique and original.
I think it's better that they keep it simple to some degree. I don't think his motivations in the comic would fit within the movie.

If Thanos now has power over all reality? Why doesn't he just create unlimited resources and space?
How would he do that though? That doesn't really make any sense. Unlimited resources? Technicality there already are. Space? Definitely enough of that. The gauntlet seems far too limited in power in the MCU to just do that anyway. Eliminating half of all sentient life was already enough to wear it out it seems.

I think Thanos's point was more so how resources and space is divided upon the population. Much like here on Earth we have plenty of resources technicality, but they're not divided that way at all.

I mean, then again, now that I think about it now I remember why he's called a sympathetic villain. It's because his issue with society is sympathetic, not so much the way of fixing that issue. Hence the villain part.

D

Deleted member

Thanos carrots, Thanos gold bars, Thanos cakes, Thanos Internet, Thanos you name it.
Oh, I know this one. The Russo Bros themselves laid it out for us.
TL:DR It's because that isn't what Thanos wants. He could easily create infinite resources, but at this point it's less about saving the universe and more about proving himself right.
Thanos literally killed half of the universe. Thanos gets no sympathy from me.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
tbh this is a really annoying misconception

the reason it worked on dormammu is because dormammu didn't have a concept of time, and was therefore unaware that he was in a loop. from his perspective he just kept killing strange but strange just kept on coming back over and over and over for millions of years

thanos, being a mortal being and therefore having a concept of time, would be aware that he was in a loop and from his perspective he would kill strange, and then time would reverse and thanos would completely forget so he would kill him again, repeat ad infinitum. it would have no effect.
Doctor Strange was still rather underpowered in this film compared to this solo film.

He could had used the time stone to turn Thanos into a baby, or use his cape to cover Thanos' hand where the gauntlet lies then summon a portal beneath his feet before chopping his hand off with the gauntlet, rewinding time when Star-Lord screwed things up thanks to Mantis and Nebula not knocking him out, etc.

That's what frustrates me about this movie. So many opportunities the heroes could had won but purposely avoided so Avengers 4 would happened.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Thanos didn't need to and shouldn't have been played as symoathetic at all. His plan makes no sense and the movie should have played up the aspect of "just proving he's right" and the heroes actually arguing how that's not how you solve overpopulation. Like, high schooler Peter Parker should have learned about Malthusian Theory already and told Thanos in his face how that's not how it actually works but instead the only problem characters have is that it'll kill people in the process and Thanos is painted as being in the right with scenes such as his talk with Gamora(every ****ing scene with the two should be rewritten).

Noipoi

Howdy!
For me it goes...

1. Yoshi
2. Luigi
3. Bowser
4. Wario
5. Rosalina
6. Toad
7. Daisy
8. Waluigi
9. Peach
10. Mario

To anyone wondering where Boshi is, this is for reoccurring characters only. Think of him as a part of the Yoshi species instead...
Where the **** is Bullet Bill?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Thanos should have just been the conqueror he was set up to be.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Thanos should have just been the conqueror he was set up to be.
Agreed and in the end we get yet again another damn sympathetic villain which we've seen so many times before with a really weak and cliche goal. Basically it was all Ultron again but on a much grander scale.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There were also so many times the heroes could had won but it was all obviously avoided for plot and so there'd be an Avengers 4 like how HISHE covered some of it.

-Destroying Vision a lot sooner especially given he was willing to give up his life.
-Doctor Strange using his "I've come to bargain" or rewinding time when Star-Lord had to screw things up.
-Gamora going into hiding rather then seeking Thanos out given she was the source to getting the Soul Stone.
-Mantis keeping her damn mouth shut preventing the others to ask why Thanos was in anguish (I blame her the most for making everything worst).
-Nebula knocking Star-Lord out.

Just to name a few.
Also, for the other points:
-The heroes were unable to make the sacrifice plays. That was the whole point of the movie. Thanos was doing whatever it took to achieve his goal, eveb going so far as to kill the only thing he loved. Whereas the heroes were always hesitant. Loki wasn't willing to let Thor die. Gamora was unable to let her sister get tortured. And the Avengers were unable to let Vision die. Besides, he only said he was willing before they found out the could simply have it removed at Wakanda. He never said he was willing after that.

-There are two things you could be referring to here, so I'll answer them both. She thought she could resist telling Thanos where the stone was, and she thought the Guardians would kill her of he captured her. She didnt plan on him having the Reality Stone or him torturing Nebula. For the second one, she was unaware that Thanos actually did love her and that she was the key to the Soul Stone.

-I don't really think Mantis would understand that Peter would flip the **** out. Even if she did, we know that Mantis also transfers the person she's affectings emotions onto herself as a side affect of her power. It's likely she was just screaming out.

-Yeah this was stupid. Strange made sense to not interfere as he had a plan for what's gonna happen, he ensured that Peter would flip out. It was the only way they could win in all 14 million futures. But Nebula didn't know that, and she really should've jumped him to stop him. It would be in character. Then again iirc she doesn't really know how Mantis' powers work so maybe she thought that it would have no effect if he punches Thanos? IDK

D

Deleted member

I remember when I played SmashBoards mafia.
Those were some good times.

D

Deleted member

Doctor Strange was still rather underpowered in this film compared to this solo film.

He could had used the time stone to turn Thanos into a baby, or use his cape to cover Thanos' hand where the gauntlet lies then summon a portal beneath his feet before chopping his hand off with the gauntlet, rewinding time when Star-Lord screwed things up thanks to Mantis and Nebula not knocking him out, etc.

That's what frustrates me about this movie. So many opportunities the heroes could had won but purposely avoided so Avengers 4 would happened.
I, uh, don't think he could use the Time Stone to that degree on somebody with 4 of the other Stones lol. And he did try the cape thing, it didn't work. And he did try to summon a portal once, Thanos just punched it away. As to why he didnt rewind time, it's because Peter flipping out is the only way they could win according to the 14 million futires he looked at. Kind of a cheap writimg trick but eh

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom