• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So, what are your guys' current opinion on the Project M bootleg project for Ultimate? Do you think it's a good or bad that people are trying to make it more Melee-ish through mods one month in?

What I'm surprised is that the AI adapted to the new code almost immediately and was doing insane combos on the human player. I wonder how the AI in this game works, because even when they nerfed it last month, it still seems very viable.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
So, what are your guys' current opinion on the Project M bootleg project for Ultimate? Do you think it's a good or bad that people are trying to make it more Melee-ish through mods one month in?

What I'm surprised is that the AI adapted to the new code almost immediately and was doing insane combos on the human player. I wonder how the AI in this game works, because even when they nerfed it last month, it still seems very viable.
I personally have no plans of touching it but there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. People who purchased a legal copy should absolutely be able to do this as long as they aren't making money.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

I'm always for mods.
It's a great way for dedicated consumers to tailor their games to the way they personally like.

Now, will it catch on simply being Melee-esque and not also bringing in the extremely large amount of fan-content and customization as the original Brawl Project M? Probably not.

NineS

Smash Lord

I don't really have a stance.
Regardless, whatever the case, if there aren't more characters in this new Project M, I doubt I'll touch it any time soon.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Now, will it catch on simply being Melee-esque and not also bringing in the extremely large amount of fan-content and customization as the original Brawl Project M? Probably not.
We can't be certain, the Switch is still fairly new.

How long did it take for people to start customizing the **** out of the Wii and making complex hacks? 2012?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The Switch is about to turn 2 in a couple of months, and Project M's first demo was in 2011, both 2 years after Brawl and 4+ for the Wii in general. There's plenty of time to go crazy with modding, I think.

The gap is shortened immensely, and amazing progress is reached to inch closer to the 2001 design. It's not out of the question that beyond that, customization and new OC additions to the game can be made.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
We can't be certain, the Switch is still fairly new.

How long did it take for people to start customizing the **** out of the Wii and making complex hacks? 2012?
Well that's true, but Brawl also had the stigma of being uncompetitive to begin with which probably spurred adopters.
Can't imagine the same can be said for 4 and Ultimate.

Plus I imagine Nintendo's legal team wouldn't be too hot on that.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Well that's true, but Brawl also had the stigma of being uncompetitive to begin with which probably spurred adopters.

Mods don't actually violate the law as long as only the mod files are distributed and the modded game itself is not, so Nintendo is actually outside of their right to try and stop the distribution of mods as long as it is done so in this manner.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Very true, but for now it can be very interesting to see where it goes.

It's totally legal right now, though?

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Mods don't actually violate the law as long as only the mod files are distributed and the modded game itself is not.
Yes that's true.
I was more referring to streaming competitive tournaments and players and TO making money off of said tourneys. My memory's hazy, but I believe with the advent of Smash 4, a lot of tourneys began to stop streaming Project M.

Last edited:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
i personally wouldn't bother with a project m-like for Ultimate, but i do think it's cool that people are getting all up in that coding and learning and rebuilding the game in these ways. i didn't even really start brawl modding myself until after sm4sh came out so /shrug

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Project Ultimate, if fully realized, can also be a gateway to include AT characters that were really asked for but didn't make it, i.e. Waluigi, Isaac, etc.

that is, unless DLC beats them or succeeds them to the punch, which I feel like is a major challenge to them. that and the higher specs. it's definitely no ps4, but it's a far away stretch from the wii.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Wait. We're already trying to Project-M Ultimate?

It's been out for less than six weeks, people.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Wait. We're already trying to Project-M Ultimate?

It's been out for less than six weeks, people.
I find it kind of ironic considering the guy who's running it is very
...bipolar when it comes to melee.

I don't care about Project M, I find the Melee obsession idiotic.

I am keeping my eye out for character mods though.
What if they're only exclusive to the Melee obsessed mod? The tables have turned.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Man, I just happened upon the Cold Steel III trailer, and I'm incredibly ecstatic. I legitimately screamed upon watching it.

I guess I'll have to finish Rondo of Blood and Breath of the Wild fast before my time gets entirely swamped up by that game, though it won't be for another 8-11 months or so.

It's dangerous to go alone!

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
this avatar makes me too mellow

this is too not me :4marth:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I find it kind of ironic considering the guy who's running it is very
...bipolar when it comes to melee.

What if they're only exclusive to the Melee obsessed mod? The tables have turned.
My view of Melee is the same as it's always been.

It's a great game. And as long as the amount of people who want to play/watch it outnumbers the amount of people who want to play/watch any other Smash game, its competitive community should be allowed to thrive.

But with Ultimate, for the first time there's truly a Smash that, from a competitive standpoint, is as fun to watch and deep to play as Melee. And unlike Melee, it has more then 8ish viable characters, is available on current gen consoles, will receive updates and can be played on a goddamn HDTV.

It's time to finally let Melee rest. Only one Smash should be on the main stage, and splintering the community between iterations of the franchise doesn't help anyone.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord

Gameplay wise, the only thing I miss from Melee and Project M is that your jump carried the momentum you gained from dashing. I remember the first time I booted up Brawl and it felt so wrong that everyone's momentum stopped when they jumped. After unlocking Sonic, I couldn't help but find it extremely weird that the Fastest Thing Alive suddenly slowed way down when jumping.

Nowadays I'm more okay with it. With this amount of characters, they needed to add a new category to differentiate everyone, and "air speed" was the biggest one to make new characters meaningfully different. But when I play platformers which carry momentum when jumping, then go back to modern Smash, it's something I always need to get used to.

Everything else though? I don't really need Project M like I needed it in the pre-Smash 4 days (and even some Smash 4 days). The biggest reason being the changes Ultimate made to the engine. I always hated L cancelling and I'm super glad that Ultimate just gave everyone generally low landing lag so we could more reliably mix aerials into our ground game. I'm a casual so I never learned wavedashing but its purpose, letting characters perform any grounded move while moving (rather than being restricted to dash attacks, up smashes, grabs, and special attacks), has more or less been implemented in Ultimate by allowing everyone to do any grounded attack out of a run. The physics and knockback systems of Melee are still pretty different, so for people who play Melee and Project M a lot, I assume that's the real issue they may have with Ultimate.

I had a lot of fond memories as a casual playing Project M (it wasn't only pros who played it!) while waiting for Smash 4's release. I enjoyed the new stages most of all, since I could see more than 5 damn stages when watching Project M tournaments: Delfino Secret, Infinite Glacier, Wario's Castle, Bowser's Castle, the revamped Distant Planet, all those cool stages. Remember Project M's HD remakes of their Smash 64 stages? Man, Peach's Castle, Metal Cavern, Saffron City, all those stages looked GORGEOUS. The only issue was that certain stages were gutted too much to make them competitive, losing the spirit of the original (looking at you, Green Hill Zone), but even then my the time of 3.6 (RIP) you could select the old, party-oriented versions of the stages Project M edited thanks to the Alternate Stage Loader

Considering Ultimate, even with hazards off, still has an issue with legal stages, I hope this new Project M will at least go to the trouble of editing what changes are made to certain stages when the hazard switch is active. Or, better yet, make the Omega versions of every stage the "tourney legal" one. I'd rather play Battlefield versions of every stage rather than Final Destination versions, as a solid platform with 3 soft platforms reflects what Smash is better than a single flat platform does anyway. If it actually does something like that, I'll consider giving Project M: Smash Ultimate version a try.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
My view of Melee is the same as it's always been.

It's a great game. And as long as the amount of people who want to play/watch it outnumbers the amount of people who want to play/watch any other Smash game, its competitive community should be allowed to thrive.

But with Ultimate, for the first time there's truly a Smash that, from a competitive standpoint, is as fun to watch and deep to play as Melee. And unlike Melee, it has more then 8ish viable characters, is available on current gen consoles, will receive updates and can be played on a goddamn HDTV.

It's time to finally let Melee rest. Only one Smash should be on the main stage, and splintering the community between iterations of the franchise doesn't help anyone.
I like Melee out of all the Smash games. Not as a competitive game, but just as a game. Smash Ultimate is great, but nostalgia bends to my will.

However, it is still immortal as of right now for how fast-paced it is. Part of that is due to using glitches to jank your way through the competitive scene, glitches that I doubt Nintendo would want to try and even consider bringing back.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
There's nothing wrong with liking and exclusively playing Melee, nor is there anything wrong with wishing newer games played more similarly to it. It's not elitism, it's having a preference. Sincerely, somebody who doesn't like Melee.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If you ask me, people who do the opposite and **** on Melee for Melee players being Melee players are so many times worse than any Melee-exclusive dude.

insert salem's years of research here

Noipoi

Howdy!
Melee players will always want a Melee with all the graphics and characters of modern Smash, and it's not like a Project M ultimate mod is gonna hurt any body, so I don't really mind.

I'll just do what I always do, not care.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
and it's not like a Project M ultimate mod is gonna hurt any body
It's gonna hurt Nintendo like how AM2R threatened Samus Returns.

Melee HD confirmed, baybeeeeee

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
guys how the **** do i play :ultduckhunt:

Last edited:

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
I don't know about the rest of you, but the first non-game character in smash absolutely has to be the Hulk. He's the only character who'll talk about the crossover in every appearance he's already been in.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I don't know about the rest of you, but the first non-game character in smash absolutely has to be the Hulk. He's the only character who'll talk about the crossover in every appearance he's already been in.
HULK...

CEASE AND DESIST!

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
Isabelle is but a vessel for a terror far greater. Hiding behind the facade of purity it lurks, patiently waiting for the end times to bring about its unending wrath. To try and stop it is little more than a futile dance of weakness in its many eyes. Relinquish all hope, and enjoy these final moments.
Sir, there's an NDA for Diablo's DLC. You shouldn't be saying this in public.

NineS

Smash Lord
I made a Smash Card design based off of one a friend of mine made.
Smash Bros Card-01.png
Smash Bros Card test-01.png
Some elements I got from the one said friend had made, but I used the Smash Bros. Website's design as the bigger reference, along with the list of moves for characters you get in tutorial mode.

I'm actually thinking about doing one just for Joker, but designed a lot more after Persona 5 than Smash Bros. That game's UI design is amazing.

Let me know what you all think, and if there's anything that can be improved on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom