• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Still, the US could use a lot of modifying.
You modify it and then 8 years later the next President will totally opposite views will take his time to undo what you've done. Rinse and repeat for 200 years.

D

Deleted member

the usa's laws are fine (mostly; some **** is illegal for no reason including that-one-plant-related-substance-which-shall-not-be-named)

now the way they're enforced is dumb because usa cops are a bunch of ***** ass mother****ers and they pissed on my police brutality stats

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
(mostly; some **** is illegal for no reason including that-one-plant-related-substance-which-shall-not-be-named)
it's illegal because they lied about stuff for their based war on drugs

thanks nixon

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
now the way they're enforced is dumb because usa cops are a bunch of ***** *** mother****ers and they pissed on my police brutality stats
Worst part is, there are so many good cops out there, but districts are so desperate for more cops (which they usually need frankly) that they lower the standard needed to become one.

Like, I understand the reasoning, but that's a standard that should stay consistent.

Joining the police force should not be an option for bums who frankly don't give a **** about education, and regulation.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
How are you going from one extreme to another? It doesn't really matter how good it is in theory(spoiler: it's still bad. See: the Paradox of Intolerance) when it's applied terribly.

Anyways, I don't wanna drag this discussion out so peace.
I don't see how the paradox of tolerance is relevant to this argument.

You don't have to tolerate what people say; free Speech doesn't necessarily imply tolerance. I know I surely don't agree with or support what some people say.

But they have a right to say what they want as much as I have a right to call them an idiot for it.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Here in the Netherlands you have full free speech rights. Though discrimination isn't counted as free speech and bigotry doesn't fall under freedom of religion as a company fired a guy they just hired because the CEO found out he had a boyfriend. Dunno if that company still exists but he got sued like hell
To be clear, there's no "freedom of religion" to excuse that kind of behavior in most of the fifty states here.

Some of the states just suck and the federal government has too many legislators dragging their feet to force them to change.

D

Deleted member

oh yeah also i do not trust the us govt with laws to control speech, like, at all

like i hate bigotry as much as the next person (i'm brown and nb i've collected my Minority™ card) but the govt is hella corrupt at the best of times and i don't want them to have even an inkling of that sort of power to censor ****

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Wait, you think the state should moniter freedom of speech... so that there could be more criticism of the very same state.

I envy your optimism.
Don't know if I would trust the US Government with that kinda power to not go horrendously abused.
With how indecisive the government can be, it'll take 40 years to establish censoring speech, 40 years to develop the system in a flawed manner like how we always **** up good things, 0 years to realize it was a bad call, and another 40 years to undo it. Call it pessimism and me not bothering to do the math.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I like how gambling was a big no-no for the past century and when the federal government went "**** it, it's your problem now" to the states last year, it's like everyone and their moms always loved gambling since day 1

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Alright, let's table the discussion about various world governments for now to avoid it becoming personal for anyone.

Sorry to stifle discussion, but I think it's for the best.

There's the Debate Hall or PMs if anyone wants to continue the discussion outside of the Social Thread.

D

Deleted member

Alright, let's table the discussion about various world governments for now to avoid it becoming personal for anyone.

There's the Debate Hall or PMs if anyone wants to continue the discussion outside of the Social Thread.
@admins

can we revoke grey's mod privileges for not saying Stop this conversation. Now. and instead going for some weakass big text

D

Deleted member

Worst part is, there are so many good cops out there, but districts are so desperate for more cops (which they usually need frankly) that they lower the standard needed to become one.

Like, I understand the reasoning, but that's a standard that should stay consistent.

Joining the police force should not be an option for bums who frankly don't give a **** about education, and regulation.
Oh man it's just like SB mods.
I don't see how the paradox of tolerance is relevant to this argument.

You don't have to tolerate what people say; free Speech doesn't necessarily imply tolerance. I know I surely don't agree with or support what some people say.

But they have a right to say what they want as much as I have a right to call them an idiot for it.
I'm not here to discuss anything, just to point out that "allowing something" is what "tolerating" means:
"allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that one does not necessarily like or agree with) without interference"

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

>Implying anyone actually goes to the Debate Hall

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
This is my last comment on this free speech discussion, but this XKCD comic sums up my thoughts well.
1_bv_kDeNvDxQpE_heNjjYZw.png

D

Deleted member

This is the first time I see this actually being used to stop a political debate so props for that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
With how indecisive the government can be, it'll take 40 years to establish censoring speech, 40 years to develop the system in a flawed manner like how we always **** up good things, 0 years to realize it was a bad call, and another 40 years to undo it. Call it pessimism and me not bothering to do the math.
It's a terrible case of us or them when who suggested an idea matters more no than the idea itself.

Alright, here's why the Mushroom Kingdom's government is corrupt-
The french revolution except it's toads executing princess peach.

Last edited:

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294

Our freedom of speech is being repressed!
Jk I don't wanna talk about politics anyway...

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

Dang it. Right before I was about to post my own take... oh well. Probably for the best.

We need a Fictional Debate Hall to discuss the politics of fictional worlds.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't think they dislike it, I think they forget it exists
No, we had a conversation about it last night.

People specifically don't go there cause they think its icky.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
But GREEEEEEEEY

People don't like the debate halllllllll......
And that's why there's been like a month long discussion of how to fix it. I think there'll be changes coming soon to the format though I have no idea what those will eventually be. I'm not really an active voice on those changes.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That's illegal in the US too.

That's discrimination.
http://www.lgbtmap.org/equality-maps/non_discrimination_laws
It isn't illegal in the US.

Also about "The US isn't a dystopia", US sounds like hell, you guys only have a finite amount of sick days meaning if you're finding yourself in stage 3 cancer or whatever, you'll be expected to pop back in to work without complaints. Missing out on sick days also means you lose pay from what I heard, and going to the doctor is VERY expensive. Then there's how loads of people are forced to live paycheck to paycheck because the wages are too low to actually build up savings, there's hellish working conditions all over the place, infamously in the gaming industry and Amazon, etc. And that's ignoring the current presidency. The US dream is working all your life so that when you retire you have money and can travel for a vacation or two. Middle-class people tend to travel to different countries yearly, some even multiple times and with the entire household. The Internet is what's caused the rebellious spirit in young Americans tbh cause they learn how it's like outside of 'the greatest country in the world'

D

Deleted member

the rulership stats is actually wack

you can't have a 100% peach rulership over a 99% toad population that **** doesn't make sense

a ruling official should reflect the main demographic of their citizens

D

Deleted member

I'd just like to point out Hyrule likely commited genocide on the Gerudo as they don't exist at all in the Downfall timeline and don't show up at all in Twilight Princess out.
Zelda commited war crimes, don't let her silence you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom