• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
I have no clue who the remaining DLC characters will be, but I still seriously doubt the likelihood of a Three Houses character and a gen 8 Pokemon. Others here have explained why, but I'll just add this: Nintendo owns other franchises, too. If they do pick a promotional character for themselves, that choice could feasibly come from any upcoming game they want to promote. It's not like Fire Emblem is the only game they can promote via Smash. And Pokemon gen 8 is still unknown, making that choice suspect as of now.

Basically, Nintendo could promote Mario if they wanted to. It's not just FE and Pokemon to consider here.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I have no clue who the remaining DLC characters will be, but I still seriously doubt the likelihood of a Three Houses character and a gen 8 Pokemon. Others here have explained why, but I'll just add this: Nintendo owns other franchises, too. If they do pick a promotional character for themselves, that choice could feasibly come from any upcoming game they want to promote. It's not like Fire Emblem is the only game they can promote via Smash. And Pokemon gen 8 is still unknown, making that choice suspect as of now.

Basically, Nintendo could promote Mario if they wanted to. It's not just FE and Pokemon to consider here.
The only thing that has me legitimately thinking that FE could get a rep (I didn't think so before, but the idea is growing on me) is that they have the next big title slated for this spring and there has been zero marketing for it. We know nothing about it. It's the first game in two years and the first non-remake in nearly four.

There's a big Fire Emblem shebang this May 4th that also has nearly zero hype around it besides the announcement that it exists. It's all just very unconventional and weird. While I previously didn't think a FE character would sneak into the season pass, I'm starting to consider it a possibility just because Nintendo needs to do something if they want common fans to be aware Three Houses exists.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Last edited:

Alternis

NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
The only thing that has me legitimately thinking that FE could get a rep (I didn't think so before, but the idea is growing on me) is that they have the next big title slated for this spring and there has been zero marketing for it. We know nothing about it. It's the first game in two years and the first non-remake in nearly four.

There's a big Fire Emblem shebang this May 4th that also has nearly zero hype around it besides the announcement that it exists. It's all just very unconventional and weird. While I previously didn't think a FE character would sneak into the season pass, I'm starting to consider it a possibility just because Nintendo needs to do something if they want common fans to be aware Three Houses exists.
It's this possibility that's causing me to doubt it. You have a good point, and it's quite plausible, but I'm not convinced; since there's zero marketing thus far for Three Houses, is a Smash character the likely result? It just seems so abrupt to have no marketing, then suddenly declare that Edelgard/whoever else is now Smash DLC. It would be effective, sure, and there's nowhere saying Nintendo can't do it, but I still feel Sakurai's hesitation in implementing Corrin means something.
I guess a lot of what I've said is opinion, but I just can't shake the feeling that Sm4sh's DLC rubbed enough people the wrong way with regards to Fire Emblem that Nintendo won't risk the inevitable backlash another FE character will generate. Seems like it would be bad for business. Especially after Joker's reveal.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
At the end of the day i’ll accept whatever gets in. I have plenty of characters to play already.

However, the Smash fanbase literally limits itself to the same characters. Sure, people in the thread and others comment on how Minecraft “has to have a character because of success” , yet doesn’t consider picks from less complicated 3rd party companies like Capcom that have had extreme, genre defining success.

I wouldn’t call it hypocritical, but I would call it uninformed or narrow minded. I think if you narrow down the 3rd party picks to characters from Japanese or eastern legacy series, you end up with characters or series like:

Ninja Gaiden- Ryu Hayabusa
Monster Hunter- Monster Hunter
Resident Evil- Leon Kennedy or Jill Valentine or Chris Redfield
Dragon Quest- a variety of protagonists, including Erdrick
Devil May Cry- Dante
Tomb Raider (technically created by a British studio, but is owned by Square Enix now)- Lara Croft
Tekken- Heihachi Mishima
Tales series- Lloyd Irving, other main protagonists
Certainly, you can take 4 characters out of these. Each of these introduces a new universe to Smash in terms of character, stage, and music (even Monster Hunter). There’s also some i’m definitely missing, but I would say that there’s not really a shortage of Japanese characters or series that bring something new.

Monster Hunter has become more mainstream, and Monster Hunter World is the most profitable game sold by Capcom.

Resident Evil is a multimedia franchise across generations of consoles, surviving (heh) as a premier survival horror series.

Tomb Raider is also a series that has spanned across different media, and Lara Croft is an icon. Not entirely sure if she would be considered a “western” 3rd party.

Devil May Cry is more niche than several other series, but it’s a pretty great series with iconic characters nonetheless. I haven’t played much of it myself.

Tekken is one of the most competitive fighting games out there.

Tales is a series that bears iconic characters, great storytelling...great gameplay.

More of less there’s quite a bit that could still get added from the companies that already have characters in Smash. I can’t imagine Namco would only have one character in the game.

I think if you remove the context of “Steve”, the options open up. It seems like people cannot separate “DLC” and “Steve from Minecraft”, and therefore limit what is possible because of unproven, unsubstantiated leaks.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It's this possibility that's causing me to doubt it. You have a good point, and it's quite plausible, but I'm not convinced; since there's zero marketing thus far for Three Houses, is a Smash character the likely result? It just seems so abrupt to have no marketing, then suddenly declare that Edelgard/whoever else is now Smash DLC. It would be effective, sure, and there's nowhere saying Nintendo can't do it, but I still feel Sakurai's hesitation in implementing Corrin means something.
I guess a lot of what I've said is opinion, but I just can't shake the feeling that Sm4sh's DLC rubbed enough people the wrong way with regards to Fire Emblem that Nintendo won't risk the inevitable backlash another FE character will generate. Seems like it would be bad for business.
You also make good points that I'm already aware of. The one thing to note-- and we can't get a hold of this information so this is purely a hypothetical-- is that sales speak much, much louder than social media. And we often forget that.

If Nintendo, who knows exactly how much each DLC character sold, deems Corrin's release as a success, they won't be too concerned with "backlash". Further, if their marketing team believes that Corrin's inclusion in Smash before the US release boosted Western sales, Nintendo, who apparently decided the final roster for Sakurai, would have motivation to try and do it again. But we don't know if that's the case or not because none of that information is publicly available.

And, I mean, I see a lot of people playing Corrin in Ultimate. And FE characters in general. Not just in the big tournaments where people are picking more for the character's moveset than fandom, but online with randoms and at weeklies down the street. ****ing a lot of people play FE characters.

Alternis

NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
You also make good points that I'm already aware of. The one thing to note-- and we can't get a hold of this information so this is purely a hypothetical-- is that sales speak much, much louder than social media. And we often forget that.

If Nintendo, who knows exactly how much each DLC character sold, deems Corrin's release as a success, they won't be too concerned with "backlash". Further, if their marketing team believes that Corrin's inclusion in Smash before the US release boosted Western sales, Nintendo, who apparently decided the final roster for Sakurai, would have motivation to try and do it again. But we don't know if that's the case or not because none of that information is publicly available.

And, I mean, I see a lot of people playing Corrin in Ultimate. And FE characters in general. Not just in the big tournaments where people are picking more for the character's moveset than fandom, but online with randoms and at weeklies down the street. ****ing a lot of people play FE characters.
You're absolutely right, and I hadn't considered that. I've been mostly just going with my gut here. So let me say: I thought Decidueye was in, I thought for sure there would be more than 103 stages, and I sided with the Grinch hoax. All my predictions for Ultimate have been laughably incorrect, so I'm prepared to take the L on this one. :laugh:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
At the end of the day i’ll accept whatever gets in. I have plenty of characters to play already.

However, the Smash fanbase literally limits itself to the same characters. Sure, people in the thread and others comment on how Minecraft “has to have a character because of success” , yet doesn’t consider picks from less complicated 3rd party companies like Capcom that have had extreme, genre defining success.

I wouldn’t call it hypocritical, but I would call it uninformed or narrow minded. I think if you narrow down the 3rd party picks to characters from Japanese or eastern legacy series, you end up with characters or series like:

Ninja Gaiden- Ryu Hayabusa
Monster Hunter- Monster Hunter
Resident Evil- Leon Kennedy or Jill Valentine or Chris Redfield
Dragon Quest- a variety of protagonists, including Erdrick
Devil May Cry- Dante
Tomb Raider (technically created by a British studio, but is owned by Square Enix now)- Lara Croft
Tekken- Heihachi Mishima
Tales series- Lloyd Irving, other main protagonists
Certainly, you can take 4 characters out of these. Each of these introduces a new universe to Smash in terms of character, stage, and music (even Monster Hunter). There’s also some i’m definitely missing, but I would say that there’s not really a shortage of Japanese characters or series that bring something new.

Monster Hunter has become more mainstream, and Monster Hunter World is the most profitable game sold by Capcom.

Resident Evil is a multimedia franchise across generations of consoles, surviving (heh) as a premier survival horror series.

Tomb Raider is also a series that has spanned across different media, and Lara Croft is an icon. Not entirely sure if she would be considered a “western” 3rd party.

Devil May Cry is more niche than several other series, but it’s a pretty great series with iconic characters nonetheless. I haven’t played much of it myself.

Tekken is one of the most competitive fighting games out there.

Tales is a series that bears iconic characters, great storytelling...great gameplay.

More of less there’s quite a bit that could still get added from the companies that already have characters in Smash. I can’t imagine Namco would only have one character in the game.

I think if you remove the context of “Steve”, the options open up. It seems like people cannot separate “DLC” and “Steve from Minecraft”, and therefore limit what is possible because of unproven, unsubstantiated leaks.
I think Soulcabilur would also have a pretty good shot alongside Tekken and Tales for a Namco rep.

D

Deleted member

You are correct, but a lot of people play FE characters without actually playing the games. That is because of playstyle, probably. For example, imagine if someone never played any FE game but liked Robin because their moveset is really cool.

Either way, Smash Bros. did revive FE.

Edit: Yes, I am aware a lot of people also play FE characters because of FE.

Last edited by a moderator:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
You're absolutely right, and I hadn't considered that. I've been mostly just going with my gut here. So let me say: I thought Decidueye was in, I thought for sure there would be more than 103 stages, and I sided with the Grinch hoax. All my predictions for Ultimate have been laughably incorrect, so I'm prepared to take the L on this one. :laugh:
After Joker, I know I can't possibly predict anything Nintendo's doing anymore. I couldn't have guessed "someone from Persona 5" if you gave me a thousand tries.

But speculation is too fun to stop!

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
On an unrelated note, has anyone here played any of the Ace Combat games? The new one (Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown) looks kinda cool and I'm thinking of adding it to my "Games I Might Want To Buy But Will Wait On It For Now" list.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I would honestly laugh very much if Matthew from Golden Sun made DLC.

In a way Golden Sun fans would get their wish.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
On an unrelated note, has anyone here played any of the Ace Combat games? The new one (Ace Combat 7) looks kinda cool and I'm thinking of adding it to may "Games I Might Want To Buy But Will Wait On It For Now" list.
But after Resident Evil 2. Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom