• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Also, for those saying Simon didn't do good, keep in mind that the Ballot was the same time Konami was going off the deep end... and the time they unvieled the Castlevania Pachinko, which gained A LOT of traction. Simon, or Castlevania in general, probably was voted for the same reason Snake was, hope that their series didn't die completely, hope that there was someone out there that still cared for their dieing franchise. You might consider this to be not enough, but keep in mind that saving a character/franchise is a big deal when it comes to requests. Look at K. Rool, look at all the MegaMan hype when the was thought to be "dead".
Yeah, and I’m sure this 90% the reason Banjo is heavily requested, people want to see the bear & bird make a triumphant return and Smash is pretty much the perfect way of doing since they’re basically returning in one of the biggest crossover games of all time let alone made by a company Rare used to belong to.

After the infamous Microsoft buyout and the flack Nuts & Bolts got, Smash is pretty the last shot Banjo ever has in order to get back on top and getting a true Tooie sequel.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I thought this would all give you a good chuckle.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Was K.Rool part of the “Smash Bubble”?

Because him succeeding in the Ballot kinda shows that the hardcore community isn’t really that minor compared to other sites.

Even if we are, it just shows how vocal we can be.
From what I remember, :ultkrool: was pretty highly requested in general, not just the hardcore fanbase.

I'm not entirely sure the same can be said for characters like Geno.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Has anyone realized that stuff like the Shantae and Shovel Knight content are likely a direct result of their popularity around the Ballot period? It seems pretty clear that not everything used was Fighter-related (though I'm still disappointed Sonic got nothing except a new AT, woohoo).
Erm excuse me who dares forget about visual novels. We don't have anything!
Hence why Saber deserves to be in.
My extremely casual sister really wants Pheonix Wright in. Can't say if he's super popular with casuals as a whole or not though.
I see his name thrown around a fair bit, honestly Capcom characters are just ripe material for Smash. They should really make Nintendo vs. Capcom someday.
Honestly, the most hype DLC at this point would be third parties, but first parties could be hype too.
Nintendo is going a good direction with Joker.
I really don't want all the DLC to be third-parties like that silly 5ch rumor is claiming, Nintendo themselves have so much to offer still. Smash's 3rd party representation is great but let's not forget this is still a Nintendo game first-and-foremost.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I really don't want all the DLC to be third-parties like that silly 5ch rumor is claiming, Nintendo themselves have so much to offer still. Smash's 3rd party representation is great but let's not forget this is still a Nintendo game first-and-foremost.
Chances are if we do get 1st parties they'll be promotional picks like Byleth or Edegard and Gen 8 Pokemon given Nintendo is picking the DLC.

Byleth or Edelgard
Erdrick
Gen 8 Pokemon
Steve

Pretty much my new prediction at this point.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Chances are if we do get 1st parties they'll be promotional picks like Byleth or Edegard and Gen 8 Pokemon given Nintendo is picking the DLC.

Byleth or Edelgard
Erdrick
Gen 8 Pokemon
Steve

I don't have a problem with this, tbh.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I'm in the same boat. I really don't want all the DLC to be 3rd party characters, even if they're all character I like (which would be very unlikely to happen).

A lot of people are discounting 1st party characters to promo picks due to the whole "spirit deconfirmation" argument, which really ticks me off, I'm not gonna lie.

But since we still don't know if that's true (and we won't until either someone w/ power at Nintendo blatantly states it or until all 5 characters are revealed), I'm still gonna keep my eye on some possible 1st party choices.

D

Deleted member

That's what I said: "Smash Ultimate is the first game since Melee to obsolete it's predecessor in every meaningful way." The implication being that Melee obsoleted 64. :laugh:

I agree with the Smash 4/Brawl thing, though. If you also consider the fan response, the prevalent Mod Scene also helped keep Brawl afloat for a little while longer than it would have otherwise (at least until modding Smash 4 became doable).
bold of you to assume i have reading comprehension
Was K.Rool part of the “Smash Bubble”?

Because him succeeding in the Ballot kinda shows that the hardcore community isn’t really that minor compared to other sites.

Even if we are, it just shows how vocal we can be.
yeah but the dude was the main villain of dkc for a bit, that's a huge step over side character from one mario rpg spinoff game

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294

Byleth or Edelgard
Erdrick
Gen 8 Pokemon
Steve

I feel like having 2 promotional picks that no one is asking for would be a really bad move on Nintendo's part. I'd definitely take having all 3rd party characters over this.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I feel like having 2 promotional picks that no one is asking for would be a really bad move on Nintendo's part. I'd definitely take having all 3rd party characters over this.
You really think Nintendo would honestly care to begin with? They're all about making money and promotions. If it was Sakurai that was doing DLC that'd probably be different.

That's what companies mainly thrive for.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
like i'm a big enough fire emblem fan but a three houses rep is maybe the one potential character i'm actively dreading this time around

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I think the issue is that there isn't as many 1st party characters that are missing from the game as there once was. After Isabelle, K. Rool, and Ridley, the last all stars are Dixie, Toad, and... Waluigi. Think about the Grinch leak itself: Isaac, Geno, Banjo, Shadow, Mach Rider, Ken. People say that would make the perfect roster, but look at it. Majority are 3rd Parties. There's also the fact that there has to be hype, so that people would buy the DLC, and 3rd Party characters have FAR more hype than 1st Parties. I mean, SONIC and CLOUD broke the internet... kinda.

osby

Smash Obsessed
You really think Nintendo would honestly care to begin with? They're all about making money and promotions. If it was Sakurai that was doing DLC that'd probably be different.

Yeah, Joker is a very promotion and money character for Nintendo.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Yeah, Joker is a very promotion and money character for Nintendo.
But last I check though Persona is a rather popular franchise that makes lot of money alone.

Same reasons as Erdrick and Steve would be chosen.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Erdrick, Steve, Edelgard, and Gen 8 Pokemon being the last 4 is so safe it hurts.

I can see it happening though since every “Smash Bubble” request cept Banjo is out of the running.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
and weird for DeDeDe...but Kirby is semi-perfection (Piranha Plant is number one)
I asked people if they want to play Ultimate, and they refuse.
So I am playing Ultimate alone, as always.
AND YET THEY ARE PLAYING SMASH 4. WHY????
Cause they stupid for playing the inferior Smash game
(though I'm still disappointed Sonic got nothing except a new AT, woohoo).
Sonic got 3 new songs...none of which are new remixes...got to keep both of his stages...and has the best death in WoL...it’s something
Is there a topic you can't tie to Fantastic Four?
how dare you ask such a sinful question

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Erdrick, Steve, Edelgard, and Gen 8 Pokemon being the last 4 is so safe it hurts.

I can see it happening though since every “Smash Bubble” request cept Banjo is out of the running.
Sadly at this point I just can't see Banjo making it if Isaac couldn't for the same reason.

He's from a dead franchise at this point and if Isaac couldn't make it for that reason despite the demand. I can't see Banjo either.

Iridium

Smash Hero
While I'm no Doctor or Psychiatrist, I must ask: How much time do you spend outside (not at work or at the gym etc, but outside)?

Because something as simple as a short walk around the block can be good for your mental health.

They might be playing the 3DS version, they could also be playing the Wii U version.

Unique Modes aside, I feel like Ultimate is the first Smash game since Melee to actually obsolete it's predecessor in every meaningful way.
Not a lot. I don't usually do anything outside.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I also think it may be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too soon for a Gen 8 Pokemon when that alone is even years off. That's just me, tho

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

i mean, erdrick and steve at least have massive significance in gaming history - edelgard and the resident gen 8 fire starting type have all the hype and excitement of a pebble

D

Deleted member

tbh unless they pull a pokemon with fe edelguard doesn't have a chance

also i spent way too much time watching this

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294

Well if they want people to buy the full fighter pass, they should care. 'Cause I sure as hell ain't paying for another Fire Emblem and Pokemon character when there was one of each added to the base roster already.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I also think it may be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too soon for a Gen 8 Pokemon when that alone is even years off. That's just me, tho
Gen 8 begins the end of this year.
So they could do what they did for :ultgreninja::ultincineroar: and save another slot for a Pokemon.

I honestly don't see a Pokemon from Gen 7 or earlier happening, so it's either Gen 8 or nothing for Pokemon DLC (imo).

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I'd be more hype for Steve than Banjo tbh.

But on the same topic, I feel as if it it were restricted to 1st parties, then that would truly be playing it safe, because everyone would be expecting them from the get go, especially since the two heavy hitters are in. It would be more like "cool, they're finally in" instead of "WOAH, NO WAY, THIS IS AMAZING". Hype sells, but a big part of hype depends on if nobody expects them.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Wait isn't gen 8 this year though, I thought it was slated for 2019?
It is but much later in the year like Psy said. We should get the starter reveals around the same time as gen 7 did its reveals which was around May if I remember correctly.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Again, I think this is exactly what was discussed earlier, with the characters being mainly talked about being considered “shoe-is”, this time being Doomguy and Steve.

I don’t discount the idea of 1st party picks because of spirits. PNG images won’t prevent the dev team from adding a character.

My thing is that adding a character from a 3rd party series, like Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Tales, or Tekken, brings more to the Smash Bros series as a whole than adding a character from a series with playable content already.

In this case, adding Leon or Jill over Bandanna Dee, for example, adds more to the overall game and adds into the “biggest crossover event in gaming history” vibe. This in itself doesn’t disconfirm characters, nor does it count out a series like Rhythm Heaven from having a a playable character, but I do think it will play a role.

As in, as of now I expect entirely Japanese created 3rd party characters and content.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Sadly at this point I just can't see Banjo making it if Isaac couldn't for the same reason.

He's from a dead franchise at this point and if Isaac couldn't make it for that reason despite the demand. I can't see Banjo either.
Banjo is in such a weird position right now.

-He’s the only Grinch survivor of the November massacre. Ken (confirmed) Shadow and Isaac (ATs) Mach Rider Chorus Kids and Geno (Spirits)

-He’s the only fan request left that isn’t confirmed (Ridley/K.Rool/Simon), deconfirmed (Shadow/Isaac/Waluigi) or in Spirit limbo (Geno/Bandana Dee)

-He isn’t in the game in any form whatsoever unlike the other western 3rd Parties Shovel Knight, Shantae, and Rayman. (No AT/Spirit/whatever)

He’s either in or not and I’d say he’s got three obstacles to deal with:

1.Western negotiations/travel costs

2.Steve/Master Chief/any Microsoft character

3.Not being relevant enough to promote anything.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm just gonna say that Byleth/Edgelord, Gen 8 Pkmn, Erdrick and Steve are the final four just to not get my hopes up and if somebody like Banjo or Geno (Unlikely) show up it would be that much more hype for me.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Honestly guys, the final DLC roster is probably gonna be different than you think.

Joker's inclusion alone proved that no one is going to able to figure out every character in the DLC.

And yes, while not every character is going to be super surprising, you can't rule out a character that has a legitimate chance due to fan theories or what you think may be the case.

Because I highly doubt anyone here was able to predict/expect Smash 4's DLC lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom