• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Maybe you shouldn't be sitting that way then.

Hahaha I'm so (un)funny!

...Well, you can hold shield until the shield breaks I guess.
My weeks have been pure garbage recently, and I don't know what to do anymore. I don't have much of a reason to do what I'm doing, and I can't stop thinking I'm only suffering. It also stopped/stops me from thinking good things about myself. Not mad at you, but I needed to get this out of my head sometime, because the people around will never understand what's plaguing me.

I asked people if they want to play Ultimate, and they refuse.
So I am playing Ultimate alone, as always.
AND YET THEY ARE PLAYING SMASH 4. WHY????
I have no Switch available, so I'm playing alone too...

osby

Smash Obsessed
I... what? Huh?

Smash Ultimate basically has everything Smash 4 has and more!

Unless they want to play Smash Tour specifically, that mindset boggles my mind.
It doesn't have a bunch of single-player modes that Smash 4 had, mainly Smash Run.

Plus, people still play Melee and stuff, every game has its fans.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
As a guy who really wanted Isaac in both Smash 4 and Ult, I'm starting think Isaac did far worse than what we all thought. Obviously he didn't touch K. Rool levels, but looking back at it, the other characters that got due to demand in all had something going for them. Obviously Ridley and the Belmonts had the ballot, but Ridley also had the power of memes on his side (and don't say memes aren't relevant, the "TOO BIG" memes is probably one of the biggest factors on why Ridley was relevant for so long), Chrom also had a big following during Smash 4 as well as the having power of memes, DS was the main failsafe in case Ridley didn't work, and Inkling were not only popular and relevant, but they were amongst the highest requested characters since Splatoon was revealed... in 2015, when Smash 4 DLC was at it's peak ( in fact, Sakurai admitted they were a given).

If there were another ballot, he would place higher, but I have doubts that he would place in the top 5, considering that he probably didn't in Ultimate. I can see Dee and Shadow making it in top 5, but not Isaac.

Waluigi would probably win though, considering his publicity is INSANE, like, way higher than Ridley levels.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have no Switch available, so I'm playing alone too...
That is not what I said.
I offered people to use my Switch so they can play Ultimate, and they refused for some reason.
Also I have been playing Ultimate for almost 360 hours.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, the most hype DLC at this point would be third parties, but first parties could be hype too.
Nintendo is going a good direction with Joker.

osby

Smash Obsessed
As a guy who really wanted Isaac in both Smash 4 and Ult, I'm starting think Isaac did far worse than what we all thought. Obviously he didn't touch K. Rool levels, but looking back at it, the other characters that got due to demand in all had something going for them. Obviously Ridley and the Belmonts had the ballot, but Ridley also had the power of memes on his side (and don't say memes aren't relevant, the "TOO BIG" memes is probably one of the biggest factors on why Ridley was relevant for so long), Chrom also had a big following during Smash 4 as well as the having power of memes, DS was the main failsafe in case Ridley didn't work, and Inkling were not only popular and relevant, but they were amongst the highest requested characters since Splatoon was revealed... in 2015, when Smash 4 DLC was at it's peak ( in fact, Sakurai admitted they were a given).

If there were another ballot, he would place higher, but I have doubts that he would place in the top 5, considering that he probably didn't in Ultimate. I can see Dee and Shadow making it in top 5, but not Isaac.
I never thought he did super good tbh, but we got like a few unique characters from the ballot and :ultbayonetta::ultsimon::ultrichter: most likely had other factors beside sheer number of votes. It's entirely possible that Isaac did good, but missed the top X by a hairbreath.

D

Deleted member

Is it weird that I'm not into Dragon Ball but understood everything mentioned and shown in the movie without any problem?

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I never thought he did super good tbh, but we got like a few unique characters from the ballot and :ultbayonetta::ultsimon::ultrichter: most likely had other factors beside sheer number of votes. It's entirely possible that Isaac did good, but missed the top X by a hairbreath.
He probably did good, but not GREAT like the other winners, you know?

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
I agree. And this is someone coming from someone who voted for Simon, but I don't think he probably did very well on the ballot at all. I'm pretty sure the reason he's in is because Sakurai is apparently a huge Castlevania fan and cites that the franchise had a huge impact on him.

Isaac was brought back though as an Assist trophy too after being absent in Smash 4, so I think it's safe to say that he did well enough that the team recognized his popularity.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
My weeks have been pure garbage recently, and I don't know what to do anymore. I don't have much of a reason to do what I'm doing, and I can't stop thinking I'm only suffering. It also stopped/stops me from thinking good things about myself. Not mad at you, but I needed to get this out of my head sometime, because the people around will never understand what's plaguing me.
While I'm no Doctor or Psychiatrist, I must ask: How much time do you spend outside (not at work or at the gym etc, but outside)?

Because something as simple as a short walk around the block can be good for your mental health.
It doesn't have a bunch of single-player modes that Smash 4 had, mainly Smash Run.

Plus, people still play Melee and stuff, every game has its fans.
They might be playing the 3DS version, they could also be playing the Wii U version.

Unique Modes aside, I feel like Ultimate is the first Smash game since Melee to actually obsolete it's predecessor in every meaningful way.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm still not convinced the Belmonts were ballot picks. There was very little campaigning for them, unlike Riddles and Krool. They seem far more like "legacy" picks for me.

Also if PP taught us anything, fan demand did not determine Ultimate's entire roster.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I agree. And this is someone coming from someone who voted for Simon, I don't think he probably did very well on the ballot at all. I'm pretty sure the reason he's in is because Sakurai is apparently a huge Castlevania fan and cites that the franchise had a huge impact on him.
Castlevania is huge without Sakurai bias, let's be honest. And his wording implied Castlevania got a lot of votes, but it was divided between a few characters. Simon likely got in as "the Castlevania rep", not as the most voted one.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I wonder what Isaac’s demand would’ve been like if he still had the AT in Smash 4.

I’d imagine he’d still be requested but it would probably be a bit smaller since the absence of it gave him a huge boost in popularity for the Ballot.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Friendly reminder that the following characters had the ballot mentioned as a reason for inclusion: :ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ultkrool::ultridley::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultsimon::ultrichter:
We also know veterans scored high judging by the final Smash 4 direct's wording alongside mentioning that Snake was brought back by popular demand.
That's literally over 10 characters so yeah, anyone would do better simply by competition being reduced

D

Deleted member

While I'm no Doctor or Psychiatrist, I must ask: How much time do you spend outside (not at work or at the gym etc, but outside)?

Because something as simple as a short walk around the block can be good for your mental health.

They might be playing the 3DS version, they could also be playing the Wii U version.

Unique Modes aside, I feel like Ultimate is the first Smash game since Melee to actually obsolete it's predecessor in every meaningful way.
I would argue that Melee obsoleted 64 completely, and if it wasn't for Subspace the same wouldve happened for Sm4sh and Brawl.

D

Deleted member

I'm still not convinced the Belmonts were ballot picks. There was very little campaigning for them, unlike Riddles and Krool. They seem far more like "legacy" picks for me.

Also if PP taught us anything, fan demand did not determine Ultimate's entire roster.
Thank you!

I feel like Ultimate's roster was meant to be unpredictable. King K. Rool and Ridley felt like the only ballot picks.

Joker was definitely not a ballot pick.

D

Deleted member

Friendly reminder that the following characters had the ballot mentioned as a reason for inclusion: :ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ultkrool::ultridley::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultsimon::ultrichter:
We also know veterans scored high judging by the final Smash 4 direct's wording alongside mentioning that Snake was brought back by popular demand.
That's literally over 10 characters so yeah, anyone would do better simply by competition being reduced
You were right Gwen.

DRAGON BALL BROLY WAS DOPE.

D

Deleted member

Thank you!

I feel like Ultimate's roster was meant to be unpredictable. King K. Rool and Ridley felt like the only ballot picks.

I would bet money on Isabelle being a popularity pick, if not purely a ballot pick, due to her being hella famous with casuals

osby

Smash Obsessed
Thank you!

Yeah. Though let's not pretend ballot is the only indicator of a character's popularity.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Castlevania is huge without Sakurai bias, let's be honest. And his wording implied Castlevania got a lot of votes, but it was divided between a few characters. Simon likely got in as "the Castlevania rep", not as the most voted one.
Sakurai DID mention he considered Alucard but felt Simon and Richter would please hardcore CastleVania fans more, implying Alucard scored high too

I mean, Smash Bubble is a thing, if you stay in certain communities then you wouldn't know much at all. Bayonetta wasn't a pick lots of people took seriously here but on tumblr and neogaf, Bayonetta was one of the more popular choices for Smash. Pre-release btw

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
If we were to get another Smash Ballot who do you guys think would make the top 20?
(This is in no particular order)
Most of the popular Assist Trophies:
Waluigi
Shadow
Isaac
Skull Kid
Ashley
Lyn
Midna
Krystal
Bomberman
Shovel Knight

Outside of that:
Dixie Kong
Bandana Waddle Dee
Elma
Rex and Pyra
ARMS character
Shantae
Sora
Banjo-Kazooie
Geno
Rayman

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Wait, did Sakurai mention the ballot when talking about the Belmonts? I must have missed that interview.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
1.Waluigi who will be the winner cause let’s be honest, he’ll win if there’s a new Ballot.
2.Isaac
3.Banjo
4.Geno
5.Shadow
6.Skull Kid
7.Bandana Dee
8.Dixie Kong
9.Shantae
10.Shovel Knight
11.Bomberman
12.Ashely
13.Rayman
14.Sora
15.Krystal
16.Lyn
17.Spring-Man
18.Rex & Pyra
19.Elma
20.Chrous Kids

Of course these choices depend if we focus on the major hardcore Smash community.
Swap Geno and Isaac's positions.
Put Shantae above Bandana Dee, he's popular but not as much as others on this list.
Where's Crash? He's being heavily requested nowadays.
Sora would be among Top 10, his popularity increased a lot with KH3 coming out.
Where's Sans? He's hated by the hardcore community but also heavily requested by the more casual one.
Imagine if at the end of KH3
instead of Kairi cryin and Sora fading away, It pans out from Kairi on the tree to everyone turning around and showing Sora exit out of his house?
"Hi guys, I was eating dinner. What's up?"

KMDP

Smash Legend
I would argue that Melee obsoleted 64 completely, and if it wasn't for Subspace the same wouldve happened for Sm4sh and Brawl.
That's what I said: "Smash Ultimate is the first game since Melee to obsolete it's predecessor in every meaningful way." The implication being that Melee obsoleted 64. :laugh:

I agree with the Smash 4/Brawl thing, though. If you also consider the fan response, the prevalent Mod Scene also helped keep Brawl afloat for a little while longer than it would have otherwise (at least until modding Smash 4 became doable).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Wait, did Sakurai mention the ballot when talking about the Belmonts? I must have missed that interview.
Yeah, in his Famitsu column, the same one that mentioned how Alucard almost got in instead.

God, in another timeline we'd have gotten Alucard and Decidueye in Ultimate. I'm glad with what we got but I'd have loved to see what they'd do

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
In one of the past few interviews (I think it was like a month ago, iirc), Sakurai stated that Ridley, K. Rool, and the Belmonts were all ballot picks.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I wonder what Isaac’s demand would’ve been like if he still had the AT in Smash 4.

I’d imagine he’d still be requested but it would probably be a bit smaller since the absence of it gave him a huge boost in popularity for the Ballot.
Probably fading away like Geno's is rn. Like you said, his absence was the biggest push. If Isabelle and DS weren't upgraded, he probably wouldn't cross people's minds that much.

Also, for those saying Simon didn't do good, keep in mind that the Ballot was the same time Konami was going off the deep end... and the time they unvieled the Castlevania Pachinko, which gained A LOT of traction. Simon, or Castlevania in general, probably was voted for the same reason Snake was, hope that their series didn't die completely, hope that there was someone out there that still cared for their dieing franchise. You might consider this to be not enough, but keep in mind that saving a character/franchise is a big deal when it comes to requests. Look at K. Rool, look at all the MegaMan hype when the was thought to be "dead".

KMDP

Smash Legend
Swap Geno and Isaac's positions.
NGL, this seems like fan bias and a little bit "Smash bubbly".

Geno isn't that well known outside of a very specific Mario RPG fandom and the hardcore Smash fandom, Golden Sun was a best selling game on the GBA (one of Nintendo's best selling consoles).

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Try to slow down when you're talking, I noticed that you were speaking pretty fast in your video (unless that was limited to the Discord plug).

I... what? Huh?

Smash Ultimate basically has everything Smash 4 has and more!

Unless they want to play Smash Tour specifically, that mindset boggles my mind.
I'm a generally fast talker. :p

osby

Smash Obsessed
That kinda reminds me how some people assume I'm a foreigner because (aside from my looks) I kinda speak like you'd expect from a non-native speaker; really formal with a lot of pauses between words. :p

Yeah, in his Famitsu column, the same one that mentioned how Alucard almost got in instead.

God, in another timeline we'd have gotten Alucard and Decidueye in Ultimate. I'm glad with what we got but I'd have loved to see what they'd do
inb4 Alucard is top tier and his only counterplay is :ultwiifittrainer:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Was K.Rool part of the “Smash Bubble”?

Because him succeeding in the Ballot kinda shows that the hardcore community isn’t really that minor compared to other sites.

Even if we are, it just shows how vocal we can be.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
NGL, this seems like fan bias and a little bit "Smash bubbly".

Geno isn't that well known outside of a very specific Mario RPG fandom and the hardcore Smash fandom, Golden Sun was a best selling game on the GBA (one of Nintendo's best selling consoles).
Yeah.

Honestly Geno doesn't have much going for him outside of the hardcore fanbase that really wants him. The general public isn't really well-versed on who Geno actually is and a good chunk of people probably only know of him because of said fandom and the Smash 4 Mii costume.

Isaac is at least more well known in general, but the fact Golden Sun hasn't gotten any attention in years isn't doing him any favors either.

D

Deleted member

If you all like "bubbles", then we minus will put Bubbly Buddy in Smash.
ww14OrI.jpg

KMDP

Smash Legend
There are benefits to slowing down: not only will it lengthen the episode (for those sweet, sweet watch minutes), it will give the viewer time to digest the points you're making.

That said, I can understand that this can be difficult for a naturally fast talker (and slowing down can only do so much, obviously :laugh:).
That kinda reminds me how some people assume I'm a foreigner because (aside from my looks) I kinda speak like you'd expect from a non-native speaker; really formal with a lot of pauses between words. :p
"I also speak with a French accent, even though I'm American."

Because him succeeding in the Ballot kinda shows that the hardcore community isn’t really that minor compared to other sites.

Point the first: K. Rool consistently ranked highly in fan polls (which were more accurate than some people give them credit for, even if they had some blind spots)
Point the second: Donkey Kong Country is an incredibly well known part of the Donkey Kong franchise, and for a very brief period in the early 90s was bigger than Mario.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed

No, on the basis that he was with DK, an already popular character, and he appeared in Mario Spinoffs (you know, with MARIO) which grants him major points.

Ridley might have been one, but he got ultra lucky with the amount of his publicity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom