• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Since I'm already thinking about Miiverse, what were SmashBoard's most wanted characters during the Smash 4 period? I obviously wasn't here, but in Miiverse, it was:
  • Ridley (There was a war between supporters and detractors though)
  • K. Rool
  • Magnus
  • Hades or Medusa
  • Conker
  • Shulk
  • Chrom
  • Mac
  • Bowser Jr (Not a lot of support for Rosalina though)
  • Travis Touchdown
  • Vaati or Skull Kid
  • And Goku and Naruto, but that was shut down quickly
Isaac support didn't take off until everyone realized that he was gone completely, and I think EVERYONE forgot about Geno until he was a shown off as costume.

Edit: And Mewtwo, his support was big.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
I have nothing to talk about, and I'll be waiting for hours to see something. Did anything interesting happen here or anywhere else?

D

Deleted member

Since I'm already thinking about Miiverse, what were SmashBoard's most wanted characters during the Smash 4 period? I obviously wasn't here, but in Miiverse, it was:
  • K. Rool
  • Magnus
  • Hades or Medusa
  • Conker
  • Shulk
  • Chrom
  • Mac
  • Travis Touchdown
  • Vaati or Skull Kid
Isaac support didn't take off until everyone realized that he was gone completely, and I think EVERYONE forgot about Geno until he was a shown off as costume.
Oh man, I wonder what it would look like if we did one now I predict Chorus Kids or Mach Rider might make it in top 20 cause of a certain "leak" and possibly Rex & Pyra would also make top 20.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Huh, I've been on Smashboards for exactly a month. That's pretty cool.

D

Deleted member

Not gonna lie.. that just looks really bad.

The bottom picture is acceptable since Shadow Mewtwo is more or less a 'bonus' character, the top just looks like the budget for DLC ran out.
Regular Mewtwo hadn't been unlocked yet in that pic.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
You know something? We complain about :ultsonic::ultcloud::ultshulk::ultpit::ultbayonetta::ultwario::ultlittlemac:&:ultfox: having no new/any remixes but you know who really got snubbed?

:ultgnw:.

No original Flat Zone X track, no remixes, no new tracks since Brawl, only two tracks.

Game & Watch got Final Fanasty’d yo.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't even know how much of the collaboration with Capcom needs to be done in person anymore.

Back in the Melee era, the internet was in its infancy. Of course it's harder to collaborate when you need to send files that huge on dial-up, so people were probably just going over with videos. But now, I'm sure that they'll set up a conference call or email for companies an hour dowen the road, rather than spending the time to save it all, go grab a train, get set up, and then show it off.

Yes, there's a time difference, so if you make a character moveset and send a video, you'll probably have to wait a few hours for review and response. But I can't imagine that Sakurai would fly over to get the contract, fly back and start the model, fly back and show them the render, fly back and fix it, fly back and get the final version, fly back and make the neutral special, fly back and get feedback...etc. Most of those are emails with a linked attachment now, and there are phone calls with translators if needed. Besides, there are even services now that will encrypt all of this in case they're worried about leaks.

The internet's made the entire world smaller, so I can't see it being such a big concern anymore. Maybe it still it. Or maybe not. But I don't see how companied being headquartered in different countries is now anywhere near as big of an issue as it was before. Honestly, I think the biggest blocks to getting western characters in are simply how received they would be in Japan. Ridley was not really that interesting for the Japanese audiences, so I can't really see them going for DLC characters that one part of the world won't really be hyped about, especially if it's a home market (despite it being one of the smaller markets, it is still the home market). That's one of the big questions for me on characters like Doomguy or Master Chief, since FPS games are not at all popular over there.
It may be out of convenience, but it seems to me that Sakurai visits studios specifically when it comes to Smash characters. He went to Platinum (unknown reasons, but my guess for Bayonetta with Kamiya...yes, I realize she's owned by SEGA), Monolith Soft, and most recently Atlus with Joker. Certainly, he could communicate over email, but that seems...not his style? I can't really say for sure, but it is what it is.

I guess, and not to you specifically mind you, I would tell most people with expectations of western 3rd party picks to temper their expectations. I don't know what the realistic chances are of any 3rd parties getting picked, but based on precedent, I'd expect more Japanese created 3rd parties, especially when we have Joker, and potential for Erdrick, who is yet another Japanese 3rd party character.

Anyway, I have some more moveset ideas for Jill or Leon that I'll post if I have time between inputting grades and watching the game later. Peace out!

osby

Smash Obsessed
You know something? We complain about :ultsonic::ultcloud::ultshulk::ultpit::ultbayonetta::ultwario::ultlittlemac:&:ultfox: having no new/any remixes but you know who really got snubbed?

No original Flat Zone X track, no remixes, no new tracks since Brawl, only two tracks.

It's not like :ultrob::ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers: got much either.

Also, can Nana join the "No Icons Club" with Alph and AC Cloud?

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
I really like the posture of after Piranha plants biting victory animation. Makes look like a cute dog.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
  • K. Rool
  • Magnus
  • Hades or Medusa
  • Conker
  • Shulk
  • Chrom
  • Mac
  • Travis Touchdown
  • Vaati or Skull Kid

Edit: And Mewtwo, his support was big.
Back then, the "Elite Four," as it was called, consisted of Mega Man, Ridley, K. Rool, and either Little Mac or Palutena depending on who you asked, with Mewtwo being considered the "Champion." :p Once Mega Man got confirmed, Little Mac and Palutena were both part of the new Elite Four without question. By and large that was the group of characters with the most support.

Others were more so categories, such as the various Mario character fanbases (Bowser Jr. vs Toad vs Paper Mario was the most common here, with Rosalina being a smaller fringe group that exploded after she was confirmed for 3D World...notably, Waluigi support wasn't nearly as notable here until after Rosalina's confirmation), as well as retro characters, with Takamaru being the most popular choice. The debates over whether the third Fire Emblem character would be Roy or Chrom were ever-present, which is also funny in retrospect. Shulk and Isaac also had tangible popularity, but also had a lot of in-fighting between supporters, due to the other being perceived as "competition" by certain parts of both support bases. Pac-Man was cautiously speculated, with some thinking Sakurai wouldn't fill a quota for Bandai-Namco just because they were working on the game, while others felt the Bandai-Namco connection made him an obvious pick. Support wasn't huge though since many feared he'd use his Ghostly Adventures design. Miis were an incredibly controversial topic. Most people thought Animal Crossing should have a character, but felt it wouldn't get one due to Sakurai's Brawl stance.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Welp, guess who’s probably coming down with a cold??

Just great...:facepalm:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

:ultrob: literally gets nothing each game

Brawl: Character, music, and some SSE enemies
Smash 4: Character, music
Ultimate: See Smash 4

Where’s my Stack Up stage Nintendo?

Kingslime304

Smash Lord

Yeah, I really wouldn't have mind that one instrumental remix of Octopus to be in Smash.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Gyromite basically writes itself as a stage, with the rising and falling pillars, and all.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
:ultrob: literally gets nothing each game

Brawl: Character, music, and some SSE enemies
Smash 4: Character, music
Ultimate: See Smash 4

Where’s my Stack Up stage Nintendo?
R.O.B.'s Stack Up Spirit show him, not the game. I think Smash kinda count him as a console, not a game character.

Also, Stack Up isn't a good game, anyway

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Welp, guess who’s probably coming down with a cold??

Just great...:facepalm:
If you have any, be sure to take an Airborne tablet. It’s not cold medicine per say but it does give your immune system a boost which does help a bit. Also, try to eat fruits rich with vitamin c (apples, citrus fruits such as oranges, etc)

EDIT: dear lord, I sound like my mom.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319

Duck Hunt got a new remix though, ROB doesn’t even have his own stage.

And I don’t blame Icies either, they only just came back.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
I'm bored :substitute:

I really need a Nintendo Direct or just any news on Smash. I really hope we get something at least this month.

All I'm doing in the moment is watching Kingdom Hearts 3 and Resident Evil 2 videos.

D

Deleted member

I'm bored :substitute:

I really need a Nintendo Direct or just any news on Smash. I really hope we get something at least this month.

All I'm doing in the moment is watching Kingdom Hearts 3 and Resident Evil 2 videos.
I think a direct will be announced by Feb 15th.

And I am bored too lmao

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Back then, the "Elite Four," as it was called, consisted of Mega Man, Ridley, K. Rool, and either Little Mac or Palutena depending on who you asked, with Mewtwo being considered the "Champion." :p Once Mega Man got confirmed, Little Mac and Palutena were both part of the new Elite Four without question. By and large that was the group of characters with the most support.

Others were more so categories, such as the various Mario character fanbases (Bowser Jr. vs Toad vs Paper Mario was the most common here, with Rosalina being a smaller fringe group that exploded after she was confirmed for 3D World...notably, Waluigi support wasn't nearly as notable here until after Rosalina's confirmation), as well as retro characters, with Takamaru being the most popular choice. The debates over whether the third Fire Emblem character would be Roy or Chrom were ever-present, which is also funny in retrospect. Shulk and Isaac also had tangible popularity, but also had a lot of in-fighting between supporters, due to the other being perceived as "competition" by certain parts of both support bases. Pac-Man was cautiously speculated, with some thinking Sakurai wouldn't fill a quota for Bandai-Namco just because they were working on the game, while others felt the Bandai-Namco connection made him an obvious pick. Support wasn't huge though since many feared he'd use his Ghostly Adventures design. Miis were an incredibly controversial topic. Most people thought Animal Crossing should have a character, but felt it wouldn't get one due to Sakurai's Brawl stance.
Interesting, It's mostly simmilar to Miiverse. Was Ghirahim very popular here? He was almost seen as a lock on Miiverse.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Interesting, It's mostly simmilar to Miiverse. Was Ghirahim very popular here? He was almost seen as a lock on Miiverse.
Ghirahim was also pretty popular, yeah. Though he was at his most popular around 2011-2013 here, if I remember correctly. At some point the general consensus became that a Zelda newcomer wasn't likely, but I don't remember what sparked the change. I'm thinking maybe it was Link not using his Skyward Sword appearance?

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I personally think there was no reason to care about Mr. G&W's forward smash. Which means I'm not bothered by it being changed. The "anti-SJWs" that got mad about it being changed are just as whiny as the people they claim Nintendo was "buckling to", if not more so. For them to say "it's just an attack animation, who cares?" in the same breath as everything else they say on the same topic is just hypocritical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom