• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
Actually, just, show of hands.

How many of you seriously think that they're going to leave that single spot on the stage select screen blank by the end of the DLC cycle?

Considering it looks like there's been a ridiculous amount of time and effort, and forethought, gone into planning the layout of the SSS, and we did get 7 DLC characters last time...

I still expect around the middle of the year they'll announce an extra character who's not part of the fighter pass. There's just no way we're going to have 108 stages+Random+one empty black square.
You have a point. We desperately need enough DLC characters to make the selection screen perfectly square.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The thing with “reps” is that they’re arbitrarily picked by the community just to fill a “slot” and to be fair, I don’t know that any of the 3rd party characters were picked to fill those “slots” in the first place.

Sonic was mage popular, Mega Man was next in line, Pac-Man made sense after the first two, Snake was a special case, Bayonetta “won the ballot”, Cloud was a popular fan pick from Final Fantasy (though one could say Sakurai wanted to get a character from that series), and Castlevania, while also being a legacy series was evidently a big ballot pick. It’s...weird.

Anyway, one thing I think the Smash fanbase actively, and purposely, ignores is the trend of all 3rd parties, including Joker, originate from Japan. It’s not just because, “yay Japan” but I would also imagine a train ride or taxi ride would be far cheaper than a flight allllllll the way to a studio like Bethesda or Microsoft.

With rumors relating to Smash, two of the three characters are ***SURPRISE***from Bethesda and Microsoft, two companies/characters that have been from other rumors or leaks, and are also two characters that are not from Japanese gaming companies.

Maybe i’m jumping to conclusions because I don’t even want it to be real (I think Ryu Hayabusa is actually also a good pick, despite not playing Ninja Gaiden), but I also just think it would be...an interesting direction.

Although I guess it entirely depends on the “Nintendo picked” or whatever that means.

D

Deleted member

The thing with “reps” is that they’re arbitrarily picked by the community just to fill a “slot” and to be fair, I don’t know that any of the 3rd party characters were picked to fill those “slots” in the first place.

Sonic was mage popular, Mega Man was next in line, Pac-Man made sense after the first two, Snake was a special case, Bayonetta “won the ballot”, Cloud was a popular fan pick from Final Fantasy (though one could say Sakurai wanted to get a character from that series), and Castlevania, while also being a legacy series was evidently a big ballot pick. It’s...weird.

Anyway, one thing I think the Smash fanbase actively, and purposely, ignores is the trend of all 3rd parties, including Joker, originate from Japan. It’s not just because, “yay Japan” but I would also imagine a train ride or taxi ride would be far cheaper than a flight allllllll the way to a studio like Bethesda or Microsoft.

With rumors relating to Smash, two of the three characters are ***SURPRISE***from Bethesda and Microsoft, two companies/characters that have been from other rumors or leaks, and are also two characters that are not from Japanese gaming companies.

Maybe i’m jumping to conclusions because I don’t even want it to be real (I think Ryu Hayabusa is actually also a good pick, despite not playing Ninja Gaiden), but I also just think it would be...an interesting direction.

Although I guess it entirely depends on the “Nintendo picked” or whatever that means.
In a possible case with Crash, it is worth to remember that Nintendo is working with two third party companies involved with Crash in the past and present who could work as some kind of bridge between Sakurai and Activision.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
In a possible case with Crash, it is worth to remember that Nintendo is involved with two third party companies involved with Crash in the past and present who could work as some kind of bridge between Sakurai and Activision.
Or they could just look at the N. Sane trilogies sales and get dollar signs in their eyes.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Haven't watched it but going by your posts in the past and Opossum's post, I'm assuming you're trying to force a voice gimmick. All I can say is this: Don't
I'm not trying to force a voice gimmick, I'm just not comfortable with sharing my normal voice because it's stupid and it sucks. I don't wanna use text to speech either.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

While the existence of a Western third party seems unlikely, I'd like to offer as a counterpoint:

We as a community are really good at making rules simply because they follow trends that haven't yet been broken. Case in point:
  • Smash will only ever have Nintendo characters! We'll never get third parties in! (before Brawl)
  • Smash won't do DLC. Nintendo isn't EA! (before Sm4sh)
  • We'll only get one third party per company, so Ryu won't get in since we have Megaman (before Sm4sh DLC)
  • All of the DLC fighters will come from the ballot, so Geno/Isaac/Banjo are in boyz! (before Sm4sh DLC)
  • There's no way they'd add Corrin. They're too new! (before Sm4sh DLC)
  • Pichu will never return since there are too many Pokémon! Transformations will never ever return! Toon Link replaced Young Link! (before Ultimate)
  • K.Rool is too irrelevant! Ridley is too big! They're not big in Japan! (before Ultimate)
  • We'll only get one third party character per franchise! There's no way we're getting Ken! (before Ultimate)
  • We'll get an echo for third parties, so Shadow 100% confirmed!
  • Box theory? Sakurai totally lied when he said we weren't getting many newcomers! The Grinch it is!
We've made fanrules all the time, and none of them hold consistently. So yes, we haven't gotten any Western third parties. Yet. But we have gotten Western characters (:ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultdarksamus:). Nintendo also knows that the series is big worldwide - he decided against Takamaru in 4/Ult since he's obscure in the west, but that didn't stop Marth/Roy/Lucas in Melee/Brawl. Maybe his worldview has been expanded in those 17 years? We don't know. We do know that collaboration between countries is getting more common, so it's much more likely now that there are decent lines of communication and translation between the two.

Now of course I'm on board for a western character (one in particular). The leaked bunch don't excite me since I'd rather a different Bethesda character, but Steve from Minecraft makes too much sense to ignore. That game's been going strong for 10 years, and even Sakurai likes it. I can't believe that he'd just come out and say "Welp, he's American, so **** him and his legacy."

D

Deleted member

I'm not trying to force a voice gimmick, I'm just not comfortable with sharing my normal voice because it's stupid and it sucks. I don't wanna use text to speech either.
Don't listen to people when they tell you to quit "gimmicks" like that. Plenty of youtubers and media creators have managed to do promising voice work when narrating their content. RedLetterMedia's Mr. Plinkett comes to mind.

That said, if it is bad, listen to the ones that can tell you why it is, and how you can improve it. I have no knowledge within voice acting myself, so I can't provide much, but there's no shame in trying to figure stuff out on a base idea like this.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Don't listen to people when they tell you to quit "gimmicks" like that. Plenty of youtubers and media creators have managed to do promising voice work when narrating their content. RedLetterMedia's Mr. Plinkett comes to mind.

That said, if it is bad, listen to the ones that can tell you why it is, and how you can improve it. I have no knowledge within voice acting myself, so I can't provide much, but there's no shame in trying to figure stuff out on a base idea like this.
The voice kinda sounds like a slightly more high pitched Mickey Mouse. didn't really think it'd be annoying.
I am still working on the voice, and I think I got one which is better.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
While the existence of a Western third party seems unlikely, I'd like to offer as a counterpoint:

We as a community are really good at making rules simply because they follow trends that haven't yet been broken. Case in point:
  • Smash will only ever have Nintendo characters! We'll never get third parties in! (before Brawl)
  • We'll only get one third party per company, so Ryu won't get in since we have Megaman (before Sm4sh DLC)
  • All of the DLC fighters will come from the ballot, so Geno/Isaac/Banjo are in boyz! (before Sm4sh DLC)
  • There's no way they'd add Corrin. They're too new! (before Sm4sh DLC)
  • Pichu will never return since there are too many Pokémon! Transformations will never ever return! Toon Link replaced Young Link! (before Ultimate)
  • K.Rool is too irrelevant! Ridley is too big! They're not big in Japan! (before Ultimate)
  • We'll only get one third party character per franchise! There's no way we're getting Ken! (before Ultimate)
  • We'll get an echo for third parties, so Shadow 100% confirmed!
  • Box theory? Sakurai totally lied when he said we weren't getting many newcomers! The Grinch it is!
We've made fanrules all the time, and none of them hold consistently. So yes, we haven't gotten any Western third parties. Yet. But we have gotten Western characters (:ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultdarksamus:). Nintendo also knows that the series is big worldwide - he decided against Takamaru in 4/Ult since he's obscure in the west, but that didn't stop Marth/Roy/Lucas in Melee/Brawl. Maybe his worldview has been expanded in those 17 years? We don't know. We do know that collaboration between countries is getting more common, so it's much more likely now that there are decent lines of communication and translation between the two.

Now of course I'm on board for a western character (one in particular). The leaked bunch don't excite me since I'd rather a different Bethesda character, but Steve from Minecraft makes too much sense to ignore. That game's been going strong for 10 years, and even Sakurai likes it. I can't believe that he'd just come out and say "Welp, he's American, so **** him and his legacy."
It's not so much, "It's American" that would be the deciding factor, but more of the costs of travel and convenience. Being in Japan, a company like Capcom is under an hour away and can be visited, counseled with, and easily revisited, readvised, etc. Traveling costs would like cost more if you're heading all the way to an American studio.

By no means is it impossible, but I think it's absolutely something people overlook.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
It's not so much, "It's American" that would be the deciding factor, but more of the costs of travel and convenience. Being in Japan, a company like Capcom is under an hour away and can be visited, counseled with, and easily revisited, readvised, etc. Traveling costs would like cost more if you're heading all the way to an American studio.

By no means is it impossible, but I think it's absolutely something people overlook.
That’s why we invented Skype. And email. And freakin phone calls! Heck, if they need to send files that are too big to email they can ship a freakin flash drive.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
8 Ice Climber AI matches are not meant to happen. No wonder they missed out on Smash Wii U/3DS.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Mr. Plinkett is probably the best example of a fake voice done well on Youtube, one thing I'll say about Mr. Plinkett though is that he speaks in a pretty slow and measured way, a benefit of those videos being scripted.

I'd also cite that special brand of Let's Player who play games that don't have voice acting (or have minimal voice acting) and go all in on doing voices for the characters, like the Game Grumps (usually), TeamFourStar/TFSGaming (sometimes) or NicoB (basically always). These guys spend a lot of the time goofing off, but they are actually capable of some really phenomenal voice acting when they actually try.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
That’s why we invented Skype. And email. And freakin phone calls! Heck, if they need to send files that are too big to email they can ship a freakin flash drive.
That doesn't change that talking face-to-face is still more preferable in a lot of situations and language barrier is still there.

Nothing that you can't overcome, but I can get why they wouldn't do it unless they really want a character.

D

Deleted member

Mr. Plinkett is probably the best example of a fake voice done well on Youtube, one thing I'll say about Mr. Plinkett though is that he speaks in a pretty slow and measured way, a benefit of those videos being scripted.

I'd also cite that special brand of Let's Player who play games that don't have voice acting (or have minimal voice acting) and go all in on doing voices for the characters, like the Game Grumps (usually), TeamFourStar/TFSGaming (sometimes) or NicoB (basically always). These guys spend a lot of the time goofing off, but they are actually capable of some really phenomenal voice acting when they actually try.
Should we count Vinny from Vinesauce too?
People liked his impression of the SMW cartoon voices of Mario & Luigi to the point that he made small videos were he dubbed some clips from random episodes of the cartoon with his voice.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

I don't even know how much of the collaboration with Capcom needs to be done in person anymore.

Back in the Melee era, the internet was in its infancy. Of course it's harder to collaborate when you need to send files that huge on dial-up, so people were probably just going over with videos. But now, I'm sure that they'll set up a conference call or email for companies an hour dowen the road, rather than spending the time to save it all, go grab a train, get set up, and then show it off.

Yes, there's a time difference, so if you make a character moveset and send a video, you'll probably have to wait a few hours for review and response. But I can't imagine that Sakurai would fly over to get the contract, fly back and start the model, fly back and show them the render, fly back and fix it, fly back and get the final version, fly back and make the neutral special, fly back and get feedback...etc. Most of those are emails with a linked attachment now, and there are phone calls with translators if needed. Besides, there are even services now that will encrypt all of this in case they're worried about leaks.

The internet's made the entire world smaller, so I can't see it being such a big concern anymore. Maybe it still it. Or maybe not. But I don't see how companied being headquartered in different countries is now anywhere near as big of an issue as it was before. Honestly, I think the biggest blocks to getting western characters in are simply how received they would be in Japan. Ridley was not really that interesting for the Japanese audiences, so I can't really see them going for DLC characters that one part of the world won't really be hyped about, especially if it's a home market (despite it being one of the smaller markets, it is still the home market). That's one of the big questions for me on characters like Doomguy or Master Chief, since FPS games are not at all popular over there.

osby

Smash Obsessed
So...How is my video guys?
Voice is a tiny bit distracting but my main issue is that it's too short.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have patience for long videos but there's so much you can say in two minutes and there wasn't much that I didn't already hear from other Shantae supporters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hello mates!

Now, what should I do...

I've been wanting to revisit Kingdom Hearts Re:coded because of the KH3 hype train. Problem is going to be finding a DS to play it on(I know where the cart is)

KMDP

Smash Legend
Should we count Vinny from Vinesauce too?
People liked his impression of the SMW cartoon voices of Mario & Luigi to the point that he made small videos were he dubbed some clips from random episodes of the cartoon with his voice.
I didn't bring up Vinesauce Vinny because I hadn't actually heard any of his stuff, but yeah, he'd count. XD

Also, someone I forgot to mention: Alejandro Saab (KaggyFilms); I haven't watched much of his stuff, but his "Shonen Protagonist" voice (which he used for the protagonist of Digimon: Cyber Sleuth) is really, really good, like professional grade good.

There's some great voice talent on Youtube if you know where to look.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
God I remember that one. Imagine being this insane, believing it is still the 1990s, or thinking Nintendo are a pure company that would never do anything as rotten as DLC!

The image Nintendo gave themselves is impressive. They constantly have anti-consumers lawsuits and never learn from their mistakes with basic functions like online play or cloud saves, yet are praised as the company from heaven that can do no wrong in some areas of the community.

D

Deleted member

God I remember that one. Imagine being this insane, believing it is still the 1990s, or thinking Nintendo are a pure company that would never do anything as rotten as DLC!

The image Nintendo gave themselves is impressive. They constantly have anti-consumers lawsuits and never learn from their mistakes with basic functions like online play or cloud saves, yet are praised as the company from heaven that can do no wrong in some areas of the community.
DLC isn't bad when done right, doh.

N.Sane Trilogy had great DLC, for example.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Unrelated, but I noticed a interesting detail on the Inklings. You know how when someone gets a final smash, they glow? Well, Inklings gain an extra effect: thier top of their head gives a smoke like effect in the color of their hair. This is actually taken from Splatoon, as whenever their special is ready, their tentacles will give off smoke in their ink color. No tentacle flailing though, sadly.

Also, the male and female Inkling have different colored backrounds with their FS. Female is Blue, Male is Green.

Alright, carry on.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

"But the NES was my childhood dude! Nintendo can never do wrong!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom