• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
So. Serious note piggybacking off the joke:

Every RE game has allowed players to use invincibility frames while doing monotonous things like picking up an item to avoid getting hit. It's how people do knife-only runs or no-heals runs, and it's such a staple of the series that The Mercenaries 3D, a game that had to cut the animations for such mundane acts, incorporated an "old school" perk that gave you i-frames anyway when you did certain actions.

What if this goofy way of turning had i-frames to time and exploit? Oh my God it could actually work.
Geez, wonder why they don't put i frames on RE3 evading. You sometimes could still get hit by Nemi during dodges.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Every RE game has allowed players to use invincibility frames while doing monotonous things like picking up an item to avoid getting hit. It's how people do knife-only runs or no-heals runs, and it's such a staple of the series that The Mercenaries 3D, a game that had to cut the animations for such mundane acts, incorporated an "old school" perk that gave you i-frames anyway when you did certain actions.

What if this goofy way of turning had i-frames to time and exploit? Oh my God it could actually work.

My favorite is the unintentional comedy of "Forrest".

"Take a look at this!" Takes Jill over to the balcony overlooking the forest, with his body hiding the person named Forrest from the player's view. "OH MY COD. IT'S FORREST." As he gestures with both hands toward the forest. Jill: "It's awful!"
What if they had Iframes when actually picking up items?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Geez, wonder why they don't put i frames on RE3 evading. You sometimes could still get hit by Nemi during dodges.
Because they didn't want dodge to be broken, I'm guessing. It was a new mechanic introduced in that game. You still got iframes when entering into an action like picking up an item.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
So, I am making a new series for my channel where I talk about series representation in Smash. i.e., When Simon came, he brought a boss, assist trophy, etc. with him. Now, if *insert character here* came in, what would they bring?

Is that something you all would watch?

D

Deleted member

"It's a weapon. It's really powerful. Especially against living things."

That always cracks me up :yoshi:
Some call it the Magic Punch.
It is really powerful.

sorry, but that line made me remember Ape Escape.

Last edited by a moderator:

KMDP

Smash Legend
That would be so infuriating. But at the same time it’s the exact kind of thing Sakurai would do.
Smash Dev Team: "This sounds like a terrible idea."
Sakurai: "But it's accurate!" *slams fist on desk*

I mean, Snake, Ryu, Ken, Simon and Richter have jumps where you pretty much have to commit to their arcs, that's the same thing, right? (It's not)

It would be so hilarious if the best way to avoid powerful attacks (e.g. from bosses or Final Smashes) while playing as Chris/Jill is to simply start turning around on the spot.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My favorite is the unintentional comedy of "Forrest".

"Take a look at this!" Takes Jill over to the balcony overlooking the forest, with his body hiding the person named Forrest from the player's view. "OH MY COD. IT'S FORREST." As he gestures with both hands toward the forest. Jill: "It's awful!"
This might not be the best way to do it, but if their moveset has a lot of weapon switching they could have i-frames while switching? Sounds unbalanced but Shulk has the same thing when he switches arts

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It would be so hilarious if the best way to avoid powerful attacks (e.g. from bosses or Final Smashes) while playing as Chris/Jill is to simply start turning around on the spot.
And yet so fitting. That's honestly how I handle bosses in Mercenaries Reunion.

The mode for some reason revamped its scoring system so you got WAY more points if you avoided the boss rather than killed him. So you intentionally leave ammo pickups on the field so when he's lunging at you, you just find a piece of candy on the ground, kneel down and watch his attack fly through you and you're fine.

...God I wanna play Mercs now.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
So, I am making a new series for my channel where I talk about series representation in Smash. i.e., When Simon came, he brought a boss, assist trophy, etc. with him. Now, if *insert character here* came in, what would they bring?

Is that something you all would watch?
Sounds like a pretty cool idea, instead of focusing on the character itself, you would focus around the world of said character.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I don’t know what to talk about....

...Leffen should win G6 and kill Ike
Honestly, Resident Evil really should have a character by now, never even ****ing played a single game but it even fits all the obligatory fan rules, after Resi and DQ, I think we'd have basically all the pioneers of gaming
ah something to talk about...Lara Croft and Scorpion/Sub ZeRo would still need to get in the game to have all pioneers...and a Goomba/Koopa combo duo

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Honestly, Resident Evil really should have a character by now, never even ****ing played a single game but it even fits all the obligatory fan rules, after Resi and DQ, I think we'd have basically all the pioneers of gaming
Still need Lara Croft. Tomb Raider is enough of a gaming icon that she deserves a slot.

Maybe DoomSlayer sense he invented the FPS

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
The only pillar left would be first-person shooters, I think. But it's hard to say if those will be represented since the icons you could attribute to them-- Master Chief and Doom Guy-- have never been nearly as popular in the East as the West.

KMDP

Smash Legend
And yet so fitting. That's honestly how I handle bosses in Mercenaries Reunion.

The mode for some reason revamped its scoring system so you got WAY more points if you avoided the boss rather than killed him. So you intentionally leave ammo pickups on the field so when he's lunging at you, you just find a piece of candy on the ground, kneel down and watch his attack fly through you and you're fine.

...God I wanna play Mercs now.
Dracula: "Why can't I hurt them!? She's doing pirouettes and he keeps putting away his gun!"
Jill: "Get on our level, scrub!"
Chris: "We've had years of practice avoiding way worse!"

Simon: "What in the world am I watching?"
Snake: "Basic military operations." *said while polishing the Patriot gun*

Last edited:

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Inb4 they revealed RE3 remake followed up by a reveal of Nemesis as a new Smash fighter for the RE rep and villain roles.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I think horror and puzzle are the last two genres not repped by a character. RE would be the best for horror, but IDK about puzzle. Shooter was also one of those, but we got the Inklings with Ultimate.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
All this RE talk and nobody brings up Birkin. I guess a pipe dream will always be a pipe dream.

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
I think horror and puzzle are the last two genres not repped by a character. RE would be the best for horror, but IDK about puzzle. Shooter was also one of those, but we got the Inklings with Ultimate.
Shmups also aren't repped yet. That's why some people want Reimu in Smash. I'd be OK with that :D

We still need:
Horror Rep - Silent Hill, Resident Evil
Shmup Rep - Touhou, Gradius, Galaga
Puzzle Rep - Puyo Puyo, Panel de Pon
Rhythm Rep - Rhythm Heaven
Shooter Rep (if you don't count Splatoon as one) - Halo, Doom
Indie Rep - Shantae, Shovel Knight, Cave Story, Undertale

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Shmups also aren't repped yet. That's why some people want a Reimu in Smash. I'd be OK with that :D

We still need:
Put Travis Touchdown under the indie reps.

We also need.... a just freakin awesome rep!: Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Lara Croft, Sub-Zero, Dante..... Kratos

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Shmups also aren't repped yet. That's why some people want Reimu in Smash. I'd be OK with that :D

We still need:
Splatoon is most definitely a shooter

Also, does Indie count as a genre? Yeah, it has it's own category in awards, but I don't think independent game is a genre.

Now, if we're talking FPS, then yeah.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Erm excuse me who dares forget about visual novels. We don't have anything!

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294

We still need:
Smh, everyone seems to forget that we already have our puzzle rep: :ultdoc:

D

Deleted member

Three things:
>I finally got tickets to see the Dragon Ball movie today.
>Crash would work as a sweet racing game rep alongside Mario, Sonic and Diddy Kong. The four can easily represent the most famous racing games in the industry.
>The “You’ve been Gnomed” meme deserves to evolve into “You’ve been hooked on the brothers”.

Last edited by a moderator:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

We still need:
forgeting the main puzzle man himself Professor Layton

D

Deleted member

Some of the characters in Smash who technically represent the racing games genre are :ultdiddy:, :ultfalcon:, :ultkirby:, :ultmario:, :ultpacman:and :ultsonic:.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Classic RE is all about puzzles, but I would call it a puzzle game as much as I would call a plate with steak, mashed potatoes and green beans a "green bean dinner". It's a side dish, not the main course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom