• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I haven't played Resident Evil at all, but I do know there are a lot of guns, with some characters also having rocket launchers and knives. Nemesis-T Type would probably be the easiest to make a moveset for, but he wouldn't get in over other characters.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean yeah, and granted i’ve never played RE and the only things I know about the characters weapons come from Marvel vs. Capcom, but isn’t guns ALL they have? Snake has explosives and grenades and rocket launchers and stuff. Unless your talking about that weird element gun Chris has in MvCI.

I understand why people want an RE character. And with 4’s specific history with the GameCube I think it makes sense to shout out (4 is apparently one of the best GCN games of all time). But I just don’t know how you do that and make the character feel unique.
Just Chris uses Magnums, Flamethrowers, Shotguns, and Rocket Launchers in UMVC3 alone, not to mention his knife, stun rod, grenade launcher and freaking satellite laser.

Note that I never played a RE game and just going off from MVC games like you said.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Just Chris uses Magnums, Flamethrowers, Shotguns, and Rocket Launchers in UMVC3 alone, not to mention his knife, stun rod, grenade launcher and freaking satellite laser.

Note that I never played a RE game and just going off from MVC games like you said.
Hey. If that works than that works. But I don’t know how accurate that is to the original games. Especially the style of 1-4 and 7 that people like the most. And you know how Samurai is about that kind of thing.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Hey. If that works than that works. But I don’t know how accurate that is to the original games. Especially the style of 1-4 and 7 that people like the most. And you know how Samurai is about that kind of thing.
Tell that to Snake...

If he was accurate to the games, he'd be using his guns

Sometimes, you have to make compromises

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I think staindgrey staindgrey can answer this better but isn't all Snake does in Smash consist of hand-to-hand combat and weapons? It's not that different from RE protags, not to mention Sakurai proved he can make interesting movesets out of less.
Yeah, I didn't reply to SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 at first because I didn't want to take over another page with all my paragraphs lol.

But yeah. Jill in particular had a unique moveset in MvC2 that could be used for heavy influence. Saying that the RE protagonists "just run and shoot" and thus they can't have a unique moveset is like saying everyone with a sword just runs and swings their sword.

Some of the hallmark weapons of RE that aren't guns are the combat knife, the grenade launcher and the RPG. Snake only has one of those. Jill (since I'm using her specifically in this scenario, even though any RE protagonist could work) would likely differ from Snake's weapons-heavy moveset by incorporating her knife in sword-like play with less disjointed hitboxes, a counter since using counter weapons has been a mainstay of the RE franchise, a sideB grenade launcher possibly with multiple types of grenades (explosive, fire, flash, acid) and an incorporation of some sort of BOW call in a similar way that Zelda "calls" her Phantom. A la MvC2.

Moveset potential isn't what would stop an RE protagonist from getting in. They've had 5 unique movesets already made for other fighting games and have 23 years of games from which to draw inspiration. What would stop them from getting in is Nintendo/Capcom not wanting them in. Nothing else.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If we're using MvC as a reference, an RE character can also have an attack where they summon zombies like Jill in MvC2.
:ultgreninja:'d

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Tell that to Snake...

If he was accurate to the games, he'd be using his guns

Sometimes, you have to make compromises
At least those are weapons you actually use in MGS! And a lot of them are iconic moments in the series. Snake taking down Vulcan Raven’s tank with nothing but grenades, the Nikita Missile sections in 1 and 2. The Cyphers from 2. And the C4 that Boss uses to blow up the hanger in Snake Eater.

Yeah, I didn't reply to SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 at first because I didn't want to take over another page with all my paragraphs lol.

But yeah. Jill in particular had a unique moveset in MvC2 that could be used for heavy influence. Saying that the RE protagonists "just run and shoot" and thus they can't have a unique moveset is like saying everyone with a sword just runs and swings their sword.

Some of the hallmark weapons of RE that aren't guns are the combat knife, the grenade launcher and the RPG. Snake only has one of those. Jill (since I'm using her specifically in this scenario, even though any RE protagonist could work) would likely differ from Snake's weapons-heavy moveset by incorporating her knife in sword-like play with less disjointed hitboxes, a counter since using counter weapons has been a mainstay of the RE franchise, a sideB grenade launcher possibly with multiple types of grenades (explosive, fire, flash, acid) and an incorporation of some sort of BOW call in a similar way that Zelda "calls" her Phantom. A la MvC2.

Moveset potential isn't what would stop an RE protagonist from getting in. They've had 5 unique movesets already made for other fighting games and have 23 years of games from which to draw inspiration. What would stop them from getting in is Nintendo/Capcom not wanting them in. Nothing else.
Yeah. If they want another Capcom character in here, RE is probably one of the next choices. Along side Dante and Phoenix Wright. Don’t really know what order of priority they are in though. I’d want Jill if I had to pick, but I can also understand the argument for Leon.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
At least those are weapons you actually use in MGS! And a lot of them are iconic moments in the series. Snake taking down Vulcan Raven’s tank with nothing but grenades, the Nikita Missile sections in 1 and 2. The Cyphers from 2. And the C4 that Boss uses to blow up the hanger in Snake Eater.
Haven't played an RE game, but I'm pretty sure the items that the characters used in the MVC games, are also items they use in the games

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't know enough about RE but I'd think a character from there would be kind of like Robin but with modern weaponry(except handguns) in that they're a slow zoner with limited ammo so every shot counts.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
They are. And RE4 is actually the start of the "new style" of RE, not RE5. RE4 was an action shooter with a plethora of weapons and shooting galleries first.

In RE1 alone back in 1996, just the original with no sequels or remakes, you had access to a combat knife, pistol, magnum, shotgun, submachine gun, assault rifle, grenade launcher, flamethrower and an RPG. (Basically every game ends with an RPG.) RE as a franchise has always given you lots of weapons but forced you to choose between those weapons by limiting your inventory space and how and where you can find ammo for them.

Also, fun fact, almost all of the animations for MvC3 were modeled after RE5's animations. Chris, Jill and Wesker are INCREDIBLY close to the source material for that game. Which, by the way, was Capcom's highest selling game for nearly a decade before Monster Hunter World dethroned it. Even if popular opinion seems against RE5/RE6, those games both outsold RE7 and RE4. Just saying.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I don't know enough about RE but I'd think a character from there would be kind of like Robin but with modern weaponry(except handguns) in that they're a slow zoner with limited ammo so every shot counts.
This is EXACTLY what I would want.

I have a question. Would they go for a slower gameplay style for a RE character in reference to the controls of the earlier games, particularly if it's Chris or Jill?
Even Leon would work. I figure slow movement speed would be a must, with slow but hard-hitting specials. A CQC counter is also pretty much entirely necessary since that's been a staple of basically every RE since they incorporated it in REmake. My preference would be Jill with a taser.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I have a question. Would they go for a slower gameplay style for a RE character in reference to the controls of the earlier games, particularly if it's Chris or Jill?
Didn't Resident Evil have tank controls?

Jill/Chris/Whoever can't turn while moving, you have to stop and turn around before you can move in the other direction.

There we go.

Perfect. Elegant. Terrible.

Last edited:

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord

Jill/Chris/Whoever can't turn while moving, you have to stop and turn around before you can move in the other direction.

There we go.

Eh... not exactly. You can turn while moving and it is possible to move backwards. However, moving to the left or right of you is impossible, and you must turn before you move. It is kinda like Mario kart.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

There we go.

Pft. The quick turn has been a thing since RE3.

It's still a hilarious idea though.

KMDP

Smash Legend
How would that even work? Smash is on a 2D plane.
While that was kind of the joke, I'll explain it as if I was serious:

You would have to stop completely and put your control stick in neutral (:GCN:) before being allowed to turn around and move in the opposite direction.

Alternatively, instead of sliding and turning in one swift motion the character stops walking and slowly turns around.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
REmake has outright analogue controls iirc, which is hilarious as it's clear they didn't design the game around it
The ports to modern consoles do. That wasn't a part of the original Gamecube release.

It... might have been in the Wii re-release. I honestly don't remember. I haven't touched the Wii versions since the X360 versions became a thing.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

You would have to stop completely and put your control stick in neutral (:GCN:) before being allowed to turn around and move in the opposite direction.

Alternatively, instead of sliding and turning in one swift the character stops walking and slowly turns around.
That would be so infuriating. But at the same time it’s the exact kind of thing Sakurai would do.

D

Deleted member

if sakurai could make a fun to use, clever moveset packed with fun, neat references for a goddamn plant, he could easily make one for the original main characters of a long running massive survival horror series.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

Alternatively, instead of sliding and turning in one swift motion the character stops walking and slowly turns around.
So. Serious note piggybacking off the joke:

Every RE game has allowed players to use invincibility frames while doing monotonous things like picking up an item to avoid getting hit. It's how people do knife-only runs or no-heals runs, and it's such a staple of the series that The Mercenaries 3D, a game that had to cut the animations for such mundane acts, incorporated an "old school" perk that gave you i-frames anyway when you did certain actions.

What if this goofy way of turning had i-frames to time and exploit? Oh my God it could actually work.

"It's a weapon. It's really powerful. Especially against living things."

That always cracks me up :yoshi:
My favorite is the unintentional comedy of "Forrest".

"Take a look at this!" Takes Jill over to the balcony overlooking the forest, with his body hiding the person named Forrest from the player's view. "OH MY COD. IT'S FORREST." As he gestures with both hands toward the forest. Jill: "It's awful!"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom