• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Who said that?

Like, I don't think anyone even came close to saying that.
funny that you have a knee-jerk reaction to that statement

As with climate change, slavery, and vaccines, the dust has settled on trans-personhood and rights

So speaking against or questioning trans persons and their rights amounts to calling them subhuman

And such arguments are inherently uncivil

Therefore no debate against trans persons can be civil

So this "civil debate" about trans issues is a fantasy

gg no re

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
That is a problem that I do not like to see and I am sorry that happened to you. Just because you are trying to see something from another angle or point of view does not mean you should be labelled as something negatively. Being labelled as a -phobe of anything, when you know you aren't, feels pretty ****ty.
I mean, its in the past now pff, the person barely shows up here anyway so *shrug*
Only thing that still stings is I wasnt given a chance back then

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
*Autistic screeching* just feels offensive.

But he wasn't screeching?

Shiny, you're gonna have to make some large jumps in logic to get it was an autistic screeching thing.

That or I'm missing something entirely.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
THAT'S IT!

THAT'S HOW WE FIX THE DEBATE HALL!
I want a debate thread where everyone is legally obligated to use Ace Attorney gifs in all their posts.

Problem solved. Every debate will be F.U.N. from here on out. No hostility. Just Ace Attorney glory intertwined with politics. Gifs, quotes, soundtrack, and all.

Wait... How?

What about that image is derogatory to autistic people?
The format of the meme usually contains the text "autistic screeching" above the character making that stance.

Not always, but much of the time.

D

Deleted member

Shiny, you're gonna have to make some large jumps in logic to get it was an autistic screeching thing.

It is made by that meme, though.
The meme is often used to compare two people.
The meme is saying that normal people are proper, while autistic people are not, and that is a harmful message.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

That's where the meme originates from and what this is an edit of.

Still, the image itself is not using autism in any derogatory way so I don't see why it would be offensive.
Maybe it's offensive by association?

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
I really wanted to say something on the matter because I do love debating, and I'm afraid I missed it when we were debating over the very act of debating. This took me a while to write, and I'm aware we moved on, but I wanted to throw my own hand into the ring because I am feeling some b i a s around these parts.

Alright.....here are the next AMAs:

How many people are in the queue by the way?

Incoming mod disagreement that will get me hated by users across the site.

The reason I put "debate" in quotation marks is because the majority of the time, the topics people want brought to the debate hall frankly aren't matters that merit debating. They're issues like trans rights that have a pretty clear right or wrong answer, saying they should be debated is giving equal weight to "they should have rights" and "they shouldn't have rights" - see the problem?
While I am all for trans rights, this:

see the problem?
completely minimizes any and all opposing view points. There isn't a problem with alternate opinions. I believe that all opinions have an opposing side, and it's clear to see:

Not all opposing sides are valid though.
where bias is being propagated. The topic at hand does not matter, but the point is that it's hard to see any opposing viewpoint as being valid if one's will is very centered on one side of an argument. If there is an argument to be had, about opinions, then there is always an opposing side. Trans rights is not fact, it is opinion whichever way you slice it. I mean, if an argument was 3+3=6 or 7, then there is a clear right and wrong answer due to facts. However, any debate topic that is based on an opinion will almost certainly ALWAYS have an equally valid opposition, (whether we agree with it or not). Thank you for attending my TEDtalk, I would love to discuss my claim with anybody.

I agree.

But how can they be shown they aren't valid if no one steps up to oppose them?

I've heard the argument that giving those opinions a platform shouldn't happen, but I've found it just leaves them unopposed and lets them fester.

Look at it this way. You don't just leave a bully alone, right? You either confront them or report them to authority. You don't just ignore them and let them get worse.
Closer, but still compares people with a different opinion as a bully. Also, depending on the topic, we shouldn't be too sold on an opinion when enterring into a debate or else we'll seem too exuberant when we may be in the wrong. I'm not calling anybody out on this, but its just a rule of thumb.

A few things I'll respond to, without quoting for now.

1) Because this is a general thread, most if not all topics will be given airtime (obviously not the gross stuff, like being a bigot). You obviously have the opportunity to carry out your own conversation, but I also get why people would want more folks to be a part of the conversation.

The only thing is, you just can't force anybody to change subjects just because you want to. I may write an essay and post it, but I can't force anybody to just drop everything and talk about it (even if I wish there was more Smash-centric conversation...it's a general thread.)

2) When it comes to politics, one of the things we've all got to remember is that for some people, their existence has been made political. While I can enjoy my life without being judged, belittled, or turned away, I get to enjoy being a straight white guy. There are absolutely times when, frankly, certain debate topics shouldn't be bothered with, because in that sense, debating on the idea that "trans people should have rights" is silly because transgender people are human beings, just like other human beings who aren't trans.

I think I've maybe met one trans person face to face in my life, but that doesn't mean their problems don't matter.

I understand why folks don't want to talk about certain topics because let's face it, we play games and go to websites about games because we want to escape. No one can really be blamed for wanting to do that. However, just remember that there are folks who can never really escape.

3) On the OTHER side of this discussion, all I will say is this. As a teacher, I've come across a ton of different people (staff and students) who have a myriad of opinions. There are plenty of African American youth that are plenty sexist, homophobic, transphobic, you name it. The world is not so easily convinced that certain people should be equal. It's not as if all minorities in the world are on the same side. It truly and honestly comes down to the individual. I am not saying this to crap on anyone, I'm simply stating my experience. I literally had to explain to a kid at my school, who is notoriously homophobic and sexist, as to why his thought of, "If I tell a woman to get an abortion and she doesn't, I'm leaving her!" A close friend of that student said, "Bruh, if a gay dude sat next to me, I'd move my seat immediately!" After some intense conversation, I convinced them that assuming things about gay men is no different than assuming a black man will steal something. It's ridiculous.

Where am I going with this?

Basically, when two sides are having an argument, and there is no immediate solution, things can get toxic pretty quickly. Research has shown that human beings, when conversing online, typically do not view each other as human beings. When two strangers argue on Facebook, or Smashboards, they will view each other as a picture that makes them angry. This makes them angrier, and then when that "picture" tells them they suck, or are an arsehole, they get even more angry.

Again, where am I going? It's simple.

This thread has shown itself to be very much in support of social justice, and I commend all of you for that. I by no means am advocating for telling bigots that they're ok in their opinions. What I will suggest, is to avoid toxicity when it can be avoided. There are folks who may think terrible things, but that doesn't mean that they can't be convinced.

It's the internet, so it's hard enough to have a real, progressive conversation with strangers. It's just difficult. But that doesn't mean you can't find common ground with folks who could be potential allies.

I was fortunate enough to get real lived experiences around people who are oppressed in various ways. I learned through experience that LGBTQ people are pretty awesome, that black people are awesome, that a ton of people are super cool. Some people aren't as fortunate, and are at home being told by their local news that 15 black men were arrested, and one they see that enough, they think they're all that way.

Maybe I'm an optimist. Maybe that makes me seem like I won't take a side. I support the progression of society until all live equitably, and happily. However, that doesn't mean that I want people who currently think terrible things to suffer. Believe it or not, there are people who think things, and currently don't get why it's a bad thing to think.

Sure, it may be difficult to convince them to change their ways. But it's worth a try. At least, that's what I do on a daily basis. You just have to believe!

Basically, love one another. Every human being is capable of loving. Hatred is taught, and not always by others, but ourselves.

Also, this post is actually kind of hilarious because of what was discussed earlier about me and TPC being "novelists" or whatever. I don't really necessarily post comments like this for likes. Likes are subjective showings of appreciation for something, and that something can be anything. Likes, just like Upvotes and Downvotes or Karma, are ultimately meaningless, aside from the obvious appreciation people have for your content.

I still think people obsess over them too much, to the point that I think the people posting about them all the time just might place value in them, despite joking about them.
This post just hit everything I was trying to get at right on the head, and I wish I saw this earlier. But to add my own take on this, based on the theme that I've been going at. Ruthless killers, ill-willed sexual harassers, and those will all-around malicious intents may have some terrible opinions on certain topics. But that doesn't mean that they are no longer opinions just because they aren't correct. It is very hard to convince the human mind to change their though process, especially over posts on the internet. That's why it is especially important to enter debates with a clear head. Even though these may be the opinions of bad people, that doesn't negate the need for a discussion on the topic. The opinions may not be moral and true, but they certainly aren't invalid because of the nature of the people asking them. A debate on "Why is murder illegal, it should be okay" is perfectly acceptable, and there can be stances taken on both sides.

I'm not really well-versed enough in politics to get deeply involved in discussions about them, so there's that.

And besides, I dislike the toxicity they bring. Like, I get that it's important to have an idea of what's hopefully best for your country, but I don't come to this video game community site to argue or debate something that serious and political. I'm perfectly willing to discuss important and serious matters around these parts, but I make an exception for politics. I'm barely qualified to be talking about them to begin with, so I more or less steer clear of them.
Honestly yes. The element of politics that makes it toxic is the strong-willedness of the participants. The more that people don't want to be convinced, the more intense the argument becomes to the point of toxicity. This is true for both sides, which is why the arguments that seem to be the most obvious to us tend to turn out to be the most poisonous.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Guys, I want you to look at this instead of the current discussion.
images (29).jpeg

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Jones, you're one of the users on this site I have the most respect for.

Posts of yours like this one are a perfect example of why.
Well, I certainly appreciate that you feel that way!

I think something everybody needs to consider is that the world itself isn’t as black and white as we may think. For example, based on some logic, gay people would be in unconditional support of other folks in the LGBTQ community, right?

Ironically, my gay brother once complained about a date he went on with a friend of mine because “he’s bisexual”. Imagine my surprise, and my response when I told him that bisexual folks face similar discrimination that his date probably faces, and to be more considerate.

My brother is 33, i’m 26.

I used to be in the hate train, but it really just makes you miserable. If a person is miserable, the odds of making a difference go down significantly.

You just have to know that entertaining somebody, regardless of how ****ty they might be, means something to someone.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Shiny i'm gonna poke you if you don't chill

i'm gonna poke you and it's gonna be mildly annoying
I'm sorry for annoying you, I will try harder not to.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

the general shape of that dude is often used in derogatory "autistic screeching" memes
92d~2.jpg
i can see where shiny is coming from, however since it doesn't actually say autistic screeching and most people probably just think it's a funny image i don't think it should be considered offensive or taken down unless someone with autism says that they feel uncomfortable with it

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
How many people are in the queue by the way?
Lots and the list does not shrink. Every time I ask if there is anyone else who wants to be added, at least two more say yes. So the list has actually grown rather than shrunk as I have gone along.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I'm sorry for annoying you, I will try harder not to.
Shiny. I know you mean well, but not everything has to be some sort of political/ethical statement.

Take it from someone who has autism, I wasn't offended. Not in the context of the current conversation.

In a different context, it could be offensive, but that wasn't really a problem here.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
funny that you have a knee-jerk reaction to that statement

As with climate change, slavery, and vaccines, the dust has settled on trans-personhood and rights

So speaking against or questioning trans persons and their rights amounts to calling them subhuman

And such arguments are inherently uncivil

Therefore no debate against trans persons can be civil

So this "civil debate" about trans issues is a fantasy

gg no re
Why is it funny?

That aside, to address your main point, I don't think the dust ever settles on those kinds of things. People just won't let them. Sad as it is.

Society may generally agree one way, but there will always be outliers, and you're gonna have to convince those outliers why certain opinions are harmful.

Those outliers aren't gonna stop existing. You're gonna have to keep addressing them.

That's the sad thing. This thing has no end.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Why is it funny?

That aside, to address your main point, I don't think the dust ever settles on those kinds of things. People just won't let them. Sad as it is.

Society may generally agree one way, but there will always be outliers, and you're gonna have to convince those outliers why certain opinions are harmful.

Those outliers aren't gonna stop existing. You're gonna have to keep addressing them.

That's the sad thing. This thing has no end.
The dust is settled, my friend. Read a book sometime

Noipoi

Howdy!
This is taking me back to when I was a kid and would say things like "Contain your autism" when people acted weird.

To be fair, I didn't know it was an actual thing. I just thought it was an insult that "cool internet people" used, but still
yikessis.png

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I'm going to say a word so bad that even the staff are too afraid to censor it.

PECK
The new Hat in Time update is gonna give us the ability to make Hat Kid say peck whenever we feel like it.

Nobody is prepared to wield that much power.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Lots and the list does not shrink. Every time I ask if there is anyone else who wants to be added, at least two more say yes. So the list has actually grown rather than shrunk as I have gone along.
(hey, let's keep this on the down low, but let's stop asking people if they want to join *wink* *wink* so that the people in the queue all have their shot in due time)

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I remember when staindgrey staindgrey went on several trainsphobic rants, I'm surprised he didn't get banned! The mods here are so bigoted smh
Don't even get me started on those ****ing horntooters.

I will not apologize for my trainsphobia. It's warranted.

D

Deleted member

You treat users as is Shiny, not what you think they are. That's witch trial thinking...
To be fair, I have seen a racist person post racist stuff in NintenZone.
How can I treat said user if I don't even know what they are? I never said that all guests are bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom